This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

185 Brake Problem How Bad

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
NDCurt View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDCurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 185 Brake Problem How Bad
    Posted: 16 Sep 2012 at 5:38pm
Brakes on the 185 have needed doing for awhile but now the left one is totally locking up. Forward and reverse will break free for a couple feet and then lock up. Question is - how much more damage could I do if I continue to rock it free and get in the shop ~150 feet. Also, this is going to be a big job right, cab off/tilted back out of the way and then from the top? Thanks
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2012 at 7:11pm
When they start locking up, you've probably done some expensive damage already and more use means more $$$$$$ damage. Depending on the cab design, you have to be able to remove the complete axle from the rear end.....nothing from the top.
Marshall View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2012 at 8:59pm
The steel panel around the seat base is handy to have off if you have brake pins that are difficult to drive out. On my tractor, one brake band pin slid out easy, but the other side took several hours of work before it freed up. I ended up needing the seat access panel removed so that I could cut the pin and brake band from the top. You will hate the design if you get one that is tuff to pull. A pin having 1-7/8 of solid tight tolerance steel to pass through is not my idea of a good design plan. Thats probably the worse part of the whole procedure of changing brakes. That and having to move the hydraulic bank up and out of the way to pull the axles. Good Luck!

Stubborn Brake Band Pin :(

A Last minute "throw together" axle hoist. Worked very well!

Edited by Marshall - 16 Sep 2012 at 9:29pm
NDCurt View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDCurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 9:44pm
Thanks for the good info - Not what I want to do right now got about 40 bales of hay to bale and haul that I really want done and this is not an overnight project.
Gatz in NE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatz in NE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 10:23pm
Curt,
I've got some pics from when I replaced the brakes  on my D17sIV; which would be similar to a 185.
PM me if you need them.
gatz

NDCurt View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDCurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 9:09pm
Well I got lucky, after I got the cab jacked up high enough to get at the axle bolts everything came apart real easily. Brake band linings look like new (almost) but all the other pads are shot. The worst is that the balls between the drum and disc assembly had come out of their spot so drum and other part are shot also. Parts will be here Friday so I guess I know what the weekend will be.
Gatz in NE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatz in NE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 10:02pm
if you havent read about it before..... do NOT lube the balls/ramps when assembling.
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Marshall Marshall wrote:

The steel panel around the seat base is handy to have off if you have brake pins that are difficult to drive out. On my tractor, one brake band pin slid out easy, but the other side took several hours of work before it freed up. I ended up needing the seat access panel removed so that I could cut the pin and brake band from the top. You will hate the design if you get one that is tuff to pull. A pin having 1-7/8 of solid tight tolerance steel to pass through is not my idea of a good design plan. Thats probably the worse part of the whole procedure of changing brakes. That and having to move the hydraulic bank up and out of the way to pull the axles. Good Luck!

Stubborn Brake Band Pin :(

A Last minute "throw together" axle hoist. Worked very well!

I had a few pins that were a problem, but after heating them red hot a few times and some twisting with a small pair of vice grips they gave up the fight.....
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Gatz in NE Gatz in NE wrote:

if you havent read about it before..... do NOT lube the balls/ramps when assembling.
Nothing on your balls....especially anti-sieze!
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 8:41am
You do what you want with/without lube on the balls...I don't care. You'd better be using some light lube/WD40 etc on the splines of the drum to the axle shaft, so the drum can slide easily back and forth.
NDCurt View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDCurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 11:14pm
Well, parts came today and things went together a lot better/easier than I thought they would, had it back together in a couple hours. I had done the same thing to my 180 a number of years ago but I had the shop do it. Sure saved a bundle doing it myself and not having to haul it in. Thanks for all the advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic