This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

170 allis hydraulic filler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wulfdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 170 allis hydraulic filler
    Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 11:56am
Help! My 72 yearold mom has my 170 Allis in okla. She can't figure out where to pour the hydraulic fluid into the trans. Theres two dip sticks one on each side of the gearshift the one on the left is so low its not showing fluid on the dipstick. Do you pour new hyd. Fluid in that same hole? Also what is the modern equivalent fluid you can purchase like at autozone to replace this fluid. I read the manual says agco 821 xl is there a universal one she can get on sunday at an autoparts store that will work?
Sponsored Links

wulfdog View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wulfdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 11:59am
I've been gone 4 years and just cant rember where it goes. I told her it seems logical to pour it where its needed. So i suggested down the same hole as the dipstick seems logical to me.
AC200Puller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC200Puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 12:02pm
Yes both compartments are filled though the dipstick holes. you can buy hydraulic fluid at any farm or parts store.
wulfdog View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wulfdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 12:17pm
Thanks ac200 i was sure that was right. Would any 90 weight hyd fluid work?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 12:25pm
NO !! hydraulic fluid, not 80/90 wt.
AC200Puller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC200Puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 12:38pm
Yes as the doc says hydraulic fluid not gear lube .
wulfdog View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wulfdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 12:11am
Ok thanks. I was about to tell her the wrong thing.
wulfdog View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wulfdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 12:16am
Does the left dipstick and the middle one both take hydraulic fluid? Shes going to john deer what should she ask for? What hydraulic fluid weight etc. Sorry to sound stupid.
AllisUpstate View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisUpstate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 5:25am
The left forward one with the hex nut filler is the hydraulic fluid one, while the right one slightly rearward with the cap is the 90W gear lube. 

But the real thing I gotta ask is your 72 year old mom driving the tractors?  Way to go!
Longmeadow Farm View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longmeadow Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 5:49am
I use John Deere Hy-Tran in both compartments in my 175. left, hex-nut top, one is hydraulic system and typically gets low from normal use and the right, with the breather cap, is the transmission, which I run a bit higher than factory spec, using either Case/IH or John Deere hydraulic oil, upon recommendation a few years back by a master mechanic, after a transmission rebuild. Do not use 80-90 weight gear oil in the transmission.  
wulfdog View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wulfdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 9:30am
You'd be in for a fight if you tried to stop her from driving that tractor. She mounts that thing like a ten year old. She has 2 screw to brushog so she sits and watches for the gras to think about growing and shes right after it. Thanks so much for the help.
wulfdog View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wulfdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 9:31am
Thanks do much for the help i've alresdy called her.
NC Bruce View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NC Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 10:48am
According to AC manuals, we've been using: 
AC 170's   left side(sitting on tractor seat) hex head dipstick quality Hydraulic Fluid , and right side large round headed dipstick takes the 80-90wt oil.

the AC 175's use the quality Hydraulic Fluid in both sides.

I assume this is true for even the last few(newest) AC 170's,  and first few(oldest) AC 175's ?

AllisUpstate View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisUpstate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 10:56am
wulfdog,

Send my regards to your mom!  I hope I'm still bushogging with my D17 when I'm 72.  Good for her.  At least you never have to worry about what to get her for Mother's Day - I'll bet she'd love an AC cap or something. 
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longmeadow Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 3:29pm
Ya learn something every day. I just checked my IT manual that covers the 170 & early 175s...236 engine. The "book" says to use hydraulic oil in the hydraulic system and gear oil in the transmission. My 175 is a late model serial number 7060 ..year 1980.and the ops manual calls for 821 fulid in both. When did this change? And why?  I was under the impression that the 170/175 transmissions were essentially the same unit?  Were there as many transmission problems after switching to the  821 fluid?
Thanks, just curiuos...I guess 
DanD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Longmeadow Farm Longmeadow Farm wrote:

Ya learn something every day. I just checked my IT manual that covers the 170 & early 175s...236 engine. The "book" says to use hydraulic oil in the hydraulic system and gear oil in the transmission. My 175 is a late model serial number 7060 ..year 1980.and the ops manual calls for 821 fulid in both. When did this change? And why?  I was under the impression that the 170/175 transmissions were essentially the same unit?  Were there as many transmission problems after switching to the  821 fluid?
Thanks, just curiuos...I guess 

The transmissions didn't change at all.  THe available oils did.  WHen they came out with trans-hydraulic oil, AC changed their official recommendations even for older tractors, recommending the use of the 821 where the recommendation earlier had been gear oil.
Charlene View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 11:55am
Where is the drain plug located for the hydraulic oil?
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longmeadow Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 5:26pm
under the power director housing is a sump with a drain plug. By removing the sump pan you can get at the internal filter screen... might be a good preventative step ..probably has never been cleaned. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic