This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

$12,000 D-14 !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $12,000 D-14 !
    Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 3:27pm

Just went to Ebay while dindin's heating up. There's a D-14 that the guy wants $12,000 for it!! 'restored'....hmm, to me 'restored' means ORIGINAL equipment.

I got sick looking at the stupid seat, hood ornament and the chromed alternator.
The correct cops could probably find 60-80 things wrong...
I was going to ask if it had power steering but you have to be an ebay member to ask questions...sigh...
I figure my factory correct, 'unrestored' D-14 must be worth 30-40 thousand.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Sponsored Links

bigcountry48 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigcountry48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 3:55pm
1950 B, 1952 pulling wd, and 1954 wd45
Racn911 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racn911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 4:04pm
There is a fellow around here who has a tractor (other color) that is painted and chromed just like that one. If you  see him at a show, or a tractor drive, he looks just miserable. He's worried it might get dirty. 
Sure is neat to see someone put that kind of time in a project, but it's not for me.

Chuck(ONT) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck(ONT) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 4:43pm
I'd be tempted if the valve cover was chromed. lol
Never take life too seriously.

Nobody gets out alive anyway!

1C 1 WD45 1 AC180
David Maddux View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 5:05pm
Over 12,000.00 invested not including labor? I would like to know how you could do that?
deereequipment1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deereequipment1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 6:11pm
it doesn't even look all that great.
Too much chrome.
Raised on a CA,WD,D10 & D15.

Now, proudly own and pull a WD45 high crop, WD45, WC,
also own a D-10, D-12, G and a CA.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 6:17pm
Dave, all you gotta do is find somebody that works for $120 an hour and you've blown the whole budget. If I had spent that much on a "restoration" I would at LEAST painted it the right color.It doesn't even have a drawbar.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 08 Apr 2012 at 6:18pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
ky wonder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ky wonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 6:57pm
i wonder why he didnot pop for one of those sharp polised and turned instument guage plates that are fellow forum member sells
i like old tractors of all colors
norm[ind] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norm[ind] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 7:04pm
   also has the wrong seat to original
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 8:05pm
Ya know, there are some people here that have no problem at all commenting about how someone did their car, truck, or Tractor, and how it makes them sick or maybe how much money they invested. What's up wit that? Maybe its not the way you would like to do it, or for that matter post it (original) Obviously, it isn't done to OEM, and we've already had the discussion about what is considered "restored", BUT, who's to say the guy doesn't have over 12K invested in it? When you get into chrome plating parts n' pieces, detailing and buying new parts, having other people doing some of the work, (such as say engine machining) all that adds up. With the price of paint and supplies, engine kits, tires, (especially tires today) wheels, and accessories, those dollars just keep going higher! To me, it looks like a nicely done Tractor. Yeah, there are some things on it that I would've done differently, but, hey, that's what makes the world go round'. If everybody did the same thing, it would be boring hobby. That would apply to the car/truck hobby also.  Let's be open minded here. He did it his way which he thinks looks great. There's nothing wrong with that. Is it a shade or so off on the color? Maybe. Who gives a crap. How bout' looking at it this way. Its an Allis-Chalmers, its not in a scrap pile, and its a pretty good presentation of the manufactuer's Tractor. The man is pretty proud of it. Ain't nothin' wrong wit dat. Sooo, my point is, folks do their vehicles they way they want to, and the way they think looks good to them. Its not going to please everyone, but look at it this way, it could have been painted Green & Yellow. Now you have a GOOD reason to get sick!...  Wink
Steve@B&B
Boogerowen View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boogerowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 8:12pm
I have to agree with Steve, it is his to do as he pleases, not to say I would do it that way, but it is his, not mine. Looks like you fellers are too critical of other peoples property !!!
Redwood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 8:20pm
well spoken Steve.

If you've touched anything it aint original....so once you touch it do what you want and spend what you want and enjoy.  restoratiom/rebuilding/keep it running is about the project.  Enjoy and encourage :)

Tony Elo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Elo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 8:21pm
i think its worth it because of the hood ornament,looks like the tractor was done nicely though
BStone View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BStone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 8:25pm
I think Steve and Okie are right.Not what I would be interested in but it looks very nice to me and the money can can add up in a hurry.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 8:26pm
Amen Steve. I would have restored differently too, but your point is spot on. Its his tractor and work, and apparently he feels thats the value its worth. Nearly everryone who "restores" a tractor is not 100 % correct like they would love to be. I know I am not alwys as correct as I strive to be. How many polished clear coted paint jobs  went on at west allis? I would say any one who shines one up like that is wrong.  My point is about like yours, everyone does their own thing, the market will likely tell the guy he is too high, he may just hang on to it. But theres always that chance someone will pay the  price he wants. I see people do nutty things at auctions all the time. Just my two cents.
Ian View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 11:18pm
Agreeing with Steve. Everybody's tastes differ, though I doubt highly he'll ever get a sale at that price. Nice tractor, and probably well put together, not my thing, but just too much money.  If you're restoring or refinishing anything to make a profit you better be good at it, or get lucky. I know I have 3 times into my truck what it's worth, if not more, and the rockers are still rusty!  Labor of love, better be sure you can be happy with that.
1980 AC 616
1958 AC D14
1960 AC D14
1987 Cub 1204
1982 Cub 682
1974 Cub 154 Lo-Boy (SOLD)
Hauler: 1998 Dodge Ram2500 Cummins
Redpower1456 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redpower1456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 1:49am
It looks like it would be good for night cruisin' on Woodward Avenue in downtown Deeetroit. But yeah, OK, to each his own I guess. Just not my cup of tea. It seems like doing that much customizing will limit the amount of interested buyers though when trying to sell it. Not everyone is going to want that amount of deviations from original, especially at that price.

Edited by Redpower1456 - 09 Apr 2012 at 1:59am
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 6:35am
That one is not for me-- but as Steve said in so many words it's hard to find a good used pickup for that price these days.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 6:42am
My 'beef', is not with what was done to the tractor, but rather saying 'restored'.
Call it a 'custom' which better describes it. To me 'restored' means making it look like it did out of the factory or used in the field.That seat and chrome alternator shouldn't be in the parts package to 'restore' it.Still gotta wonder where his 12K is in it though.
Yup, we all painfully KNOW how much it costs to work on tractors, trucks, cars,houses,wives, etc.....they're a labour of love.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 6:48am

yeah, custom would have been the best term.  oh well stuff happens.

Jim Lindemood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Lindemood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 7:15am
I'm with Steve -- It is what it is - don't like it? - don't bid on it. Oh, I'm not bidding on it -LOL
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 7:30am
$12 grand won't buy much if shopping for a new tractor.  Assuming this one has been gone through from one end to the other then it looks like a good buy.  I would have liked to see all the new parts used if I was serious in bidding.  I think it looks great with a couple of exceptions.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
steigerbro24 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steigerbro24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 8:53am
I'm in agreement with Steve, it's my guess that many of us have done something to our tractor that makes it custom our just our tractor. Me? I have a cup holder and I put diamond plate steel on the steps of my tractor and I painted the front wheel bolts gloss black and if I take the oil pan of, thats gonna be black too. Thats whats nice about this hobby, individualism is a major part of it.
5 Steigers, 7 John Deeres, 8 Internationals, 4 Case tractors and combines and 1 Oliver
........... Oh wait they're all 1/64.......and a real '44 B
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 10:29am
I don't really have a problem with people customozing and sticking an ungodly amount of money into a tractor, but please realize when you customize to your own taste you have just diminished the value to others. If I had that D14 given to me I would already be deducting what it would cost to get rid of all that gawdy stuff. When I customize my tractor with dents and scratches, I don't expect the price to go up. I like the dents and scratches on my stuff but I sure don't expect others to see the same value in them that I do. 

To his credit this guy has a very good basic description, but I have read others that their description turns into defense arguement of why it cost so much and why it worth it and don't you dare offend them by offering less.

If this guy really truly in his heart expects to get $10,000++, I hope he has a close circle of friends that can let him down easy.
Reindeer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reindeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 10:44am
I have to agree with Steve, to each his own. As to value, it is just like a race horse.  It's worth about as much as someone will pay you.

JeffMOnt View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffMOnt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 9:58am
Doesn't even have power steering! If it did it would be worth it. LOL
WEL(IN&TN) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEL(IN&TN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 12:54pm
I hope it doesn,t jump out of third gear!
Charlie (NC) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie (NC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 1:07pm
Idiot with a trailer queen.  The manifold has never been hot unless he painted it right before he took the ebay picture.

Reminds me of a guy I saw at a show once.  It was the gathering of the orange near State College PA about 15+ years ago.  This guy had an early B out front away from the other tractors with a rope around it.  It had so many  layers of clear coat on it that the paint looked about 3 inches deep.  It really was almost like an optical illusion as to where the paint started.  My wife, not knowing any better, reached across the rope and laid the back of her hand on the radiator housing.  Touched it quickly and pulled her hand back.  At least she knew to use the back of her hand and not leave finger prints.  The guy jumped all down her throat with me standing right there with her and I'm not a little, push over looking guy.  Knowing that she had done something I wouldn't have done I didn't say a word other that to say to her "let's go".  As we walked off I turned, looked back at him and said by the way, you have the wrong decal set on it.  You should have seen his face.  I forget now what year his sign said it was but if the sign was correct it should have had the long A and S blue decals.  He had the block letter black vinyl decals.  Nothing against vinyl decals but if I was going to put several thousand dollars in a "restoration" of an 800 dollar tractor I think I would have used the original OEM type decals and the correct ones.

I love a nicely restored tractor but it's a tractor and if you can't hook a plow to it and work it then to me it isn't worth any more than it would part out for.
caRon View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 1:55pm
If a guy is going to ask a ridiculous price like that for a d14 tractor then the buying public has every right to critique his restoration. What's the old saying, "you can put lipstick on a pig" but it's still just a d14 tractor.
CA Tractor
ACscott View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 2:26pm
Other then the seat, I think its a very nice tractor.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic