This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

110v electric starter problem on a snowblowe motor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reindeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 110v electric starter problem on a snowblowe motor
    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 2:14pm
So I picked up a snow blower with a 10.5 horse Tecumseh Motor. With a few parts and fresh oil everything works pretty good, but it has one of those plug in starters, which I would like to use. The starter turns fine, but the bendix gear had lost a few teeth. Bought a replacement off Ebay and afer a couple of tries managed to get the right gear. Assembled everything and it spins just fine, but hte gear does not move out to engage the ring gear on the flywheel. The original gear was cast and I suspect the new one is sintered metal, so lighter. Could that be the problem. The bendix moves out on the shaft to engage the ring gear, along a threaded portion of hte shaft, and if it is lighter perhaps there is not enough inertia to get it out where it needs to be? Anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by Reindeer - 26 Jan 2020 at 2:45pm

Sponsored Links

Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 3:01pm
??? good question! If all is free, and moving, it should work.  I have seen a few, even with plastic gears work. ????  sorry that I have not a clue here.
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 3:01pm
Repaired a Craftsman snow blower for a friend, sounds like the same motor, teeth were missing on the bendix gear, got a starter from eBay for $50 and Sears wanted $181 for the exact same starter(part number). 
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 3:03pm
You van get just the gear from jacks small engines it show up a vouple days after you order it
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 3:31pm
Maybe it's NOT the correct starter !
If you manually turn the starter, does the ger go up to the correct height?
Is the flywheel all the way down ?
You should see the 'wear' marks on the flywheel where the starter gear had been meshing.
One of those have to see to figure it out problems.

Edited by jaybmiller - 26 Jan 2020 at 4:10pm
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 3:39pm
GOOD info! Techjunka, had 2 different starters from my memory, a long and a short. Might just be the issue.  OPPS, did ya see that I really don't like them??  lol
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 3:44pm
Are all the parts there?
[TUBE]QaPwOR6VwVg[/TUBE]
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 3:51pm
"Donyboy73", is top notch for repairs, as well as "taryl fixes all". both with lots of knowledge!!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 4:17pm
gee, watched the video, there's a REAL tool for removing/installing the ring clip !!!????Cry
I've always used screwdriver to get off - socket to whack on.....

If you were up for a roadtrip, I've got 2 starters on the shelf.....Big smile
at least you're on OUR side of the 49th !!

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 4:22pm
As stated, Tech. used different ones. --- Make sure you have the right one to start with. Next would be to make sure it has the right worm end that runs the gear up! IF the track gets worn, the gear binds! 
These 110-v starters kick ass, so if it don't engage I would suspect the shaft is damaged! I have one with a plastic gear and it works fine, so I don't think you have a weight problem!
Try putting some slick-um on the shaft just to test if that will make it go.
Check the spring and keepers to see that they are in the right places.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 10:53am
I just took mine off of the snowblower. Gear spun but didn't move up the shaft to engage flywheel. Lubed the shaft alittle and it works fine. Maybe I just got lucky. 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
trace View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 3:39pm
techumsa motors suck.
1955 WD-45 WIDE FRONT W/ TRIP
LOADER
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 10:25pm
BIL has same problem with his Tecumsa powered snowblower
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 10:34am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

BIL has same problem with his Tecumsa powered snowblower

He will be OK if don't aim the "pretty machine" at him.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic