This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1 u-joint cup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1 u-joint cup
    Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 10:48am
is ‘spinning’ on the yoke. Took the collars off, and the cup is not seized, turns freely, bolts were tight. What causes this, and what is the cure? Replace the u-joint?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 11:14am
Peen the Yoke bore and replace the joint.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 11:15am
‘Peen’?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 3:58pm
with the collar bolted on, the "HOLE" is a couple thousands bigger than the CAP , so the cap can rotate / move.... PEEN means to take a center punch and make several DIMPLES inside the "HOLE" so that the metal will extrude out a few thousands, and then COMPRESS when you reinstall the collar and bolt solid.... You can also make sure the collar has no burrs .. or take a couple thousands off the mating FACE around the bolt hole so you get more COMPRESSION on the cap when tightened.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2023 at 12:42am
Would depend what type of cap it is and what holds it in place , if it's full press in round hole in yoke it would depend on use as one could use a locktite compound to hold cap of not to worn - on a PTO shaft on one dump truck pump cap was lose and for a temp fix transmission shop didn't have the yoke in stock so they places 2 small tack welds onto cap to yoke surfaces - been running for 10 years now as a temp fix . 
 Notices you said bolts were used to secure the cap to the yoke - so if the STRAP type hold down then the strap is stretched and needs to be replaces . A new strap should solve the tension required - or you could shim under the strap . or on yoke side / or replace the yoke itself .

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 22 Apr 2023 at 12:47am
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2023 at 1:54pm
Take the strap that holds it on. take a few thou off that that where the bolts go thru and put back in place. Torque to spec - it was 125 ft/lbs on my dump truck. And problem fixed. All the shops will tell you to put a new strap kit on but it will spin again in a few days. When you take a bit of material off the end of strap it tightens everything up a bit more. I just used a high speed air tool and those little cookies to take a bit off the strap. Smile  Off the bottom of strap. 

Edited by Ed (Ont) - 22 Apr 2023 at 8:09pm
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2023 at 2:09pm
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2023 at 2:12pm
Take a bit off the bottom. Few thou. Lets it tighten a bit more on the cap and keep it from spinning. If this is the design you are referring to. This is referred to as 1/2 round u-joint. If you shim under strap you will have no tension on cap. Will come apart real fast. Smile

Edited by Ed (Ont) - 22 Apr 2023 at 2:25pm
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2023 at 2:21pm
Spicer 1810

Edited by Ed (Ont) - 22 Apr 2023 at 2:22pm
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2023 at 2:36pm
Thanks Ed (Ont), that is exactly what I have.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2023 at 2:39pm
Can also remove a few thou from the yoke ears, clamps then lose no stress value.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2023 at 3:09pm
Lars tighten straps to 125 ft/lbs. You can see it on the strap there. They show the range as 115-135. 12 pt 1/2 socket. 
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2023 at 3:12pm
The one cup that spins is held with a strap.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2023 at 4:53pm
Yes the ones that spin are always held with strap. Not the best design. Do as I have explained and you will not have any further problems. If you have spare time do all that are held with a strap the same way. Don't wait for them to start spinning.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic