This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Structures 1964 Allis D15 Series II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
michaelwis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 8:15pm
Being the proud owner of D15 series 2 my DAD purchased new , I agree with all the above , ours has 6000 plus hours , but has never left the farm
Priceless, now if I could find our 190 XT, and 7040.......
WD WD45 DIESEL D 14 D-15 SERIES 2 190XT TERRA TIGER ac allcrop 60   GLEANER F 6060 7040.and attachments for all Proud to be an active farmer
Sponsored Links

structures View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 7:53am
Thanks guys appreciate it.  

Chris the process is zinc.  I bought most of the stuff from Caswell Inc.  I did have to buy other stuff (like heaters, rectifier).  I thought it was worth it to me as I have a lot of old hardware I want to restore.
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 11:38am
Got my dads D/14 and don,t see but one reason to not restore it is that you cannot afford it.  Then sell to some one that wants to restore it  and you can see it off and on.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 11:03am
Good morning.  I'm getting closer to getting the 15 rolling again.  May be a bit before it's under its own power though.

These are 14.9-26 BKT TR-135 on the rear and 6.50-16 deestone on the front.  Nothing fancy (well they were expensive though...).  We'll see how they do.  

Originally posted by wfmurray wfmurray wrote:

Got my dads D/14 and don,t see but one reason to not restore it is that you cannot afford it.  Then sell to some one that wants to restore it  and you can see it off and on.
My plan is to put the D15 to work.  I had been looking to get a tractor and my dad offered this one up so I jumped on it.  I just figured that I was going to put money into a newer tractor why not put that into something I already have.  Plus I just enjoy fixing stuff.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 8:01am
Still trying out this zinc plating.  I've been toying with parts that I plan on painting over mostly so they don't look the best, but the protection is there.  

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 8:18am
Got a little painting done this weekend.

Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 8:32am

Oh no, not black !!

Power Shift lock assm. should be all Cream.

See attached Allis Brochure.

Gary

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/original-ALLIS-CHALMERS-D15-D-15-Tractor-sales-Brochure-Catalog-24-pages-/361173245765?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item54179a5f45
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 8:44am
That's primer bud.  See 2nd pic for cream.  By the way I have that brochure.  Refer to it all the time.  Thanks!

Edited by structures - 30 Mar 2015 at 8:45am
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 9:04am
Looking good.Big smile
aras View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 9:59am
What do you think is the secret to a good plating finish?  I assume the first pic is the parts after a plating attempt?
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 10:27am
Originally posted by aras aras wrote:

What do you think is the secret to a good plating finish?  I assume the first pic is the parts after a plating attempt?

I'm still learning, but my first mistake was sandblasting these parts.  It leaves a very matte finish.  I should have followed up with a wire wheel treatment to smooth it out.  

The rest of the hardware I'm wiring brushing the rust off and last night I put half of it in the tumbler with some resin media and simple green.  I'm eager to see how it turns out.  If all goes well I'll try some walnut shells to smooth them out before plating.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 10:22am
Got some work done recently.  Better get some pics posted.  Plated a lot more hardware.

First tried the vibratory tumbler with simple green.  That works pretty good.  I run about 5 lbs of parts overnight

I think the wire wheel works good too.  But honestly with the heavily rusted parts they need to be blasted.  However I did not blast any threaded hardware.

Then I ran them in the tumbler with walnut shells overnight.  Not for sure how much good that did.  Actually I used fine shells and I'm thinking I needed a coarser grit.  

Then off to plating.  First a bath in the degreaser.  (The blocks I had to blast.  They had some pretty heavy rust that the wire wheel could not cut through.)

Then the plating bath

Then dip in the blue chromate for 45 seconds

Then hang and blow dry with a hair dryer.

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 10:37am
Also got the wheels on.  New bearings/races and seals on the hubs and packed with grease.

Got all the housings and pins installed.  I didn't have any anti-sieze on me so I just used grease for the eccentric pin.

To get the eccentrics on I worked the rim best I could to the wheel center and with the blocks in I slid the whole assembly on the rim rail.  

Must have got grease on the camera lens, but the 15 is on 4 rolling wheels now.  Hopefully tomorrow I'll get her moved to the garage and start working on getting that engine free.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 9:20am
Got the 15 moved from the farm over to my garage.  Just barely cleared my 7' door.

Took the valve cover off and the exhaust manifold to clean and inspect.

Unfortunately as I was jolting the crankshaft around trying to get it to turn, a little rust hole popped open in the oil pan.  It was a little pinhole until I put my finger through it.  I was able to push a bigger hole into it.  Looks like this engine is going on the stand! :)

JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 2:27pm
I would put that engine on the stand and go over it very well anyway. You have been so detailed on everything up to this point, so logic in short cutting now. If you want to come over and drive a D15 II just to keep inspired, give a holler!
Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

We have new and used parts. 877-378-6543
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 2:37pm
Haha.  Thanks Jim.  I'm sure I'll be seeing you shortly!
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 2:48pm
Just get it done before June 27th so you can have it in our town parade. I have to be out of town again, so I'll miss it. And I'm on the board of directors!
Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 6:18pm
I fully agree with the "Father's Tractor" theory.  I once touched the first flat top WC my father sold.  Made me mad because it was painted BLUE.  Thought about it and went back to buy it.  Too Late.
I think of that every so often.  Yes, you only have one Dad.  Wish I could talk to him now.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
ps:  Let us know how it goes.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 9:39am
Thanks Bill.  Good Morning all.  Got a little work done last night.  Pulled the rocker arms and found a bent push rod.  And pulled the head.

Bent pushrod on the 2nd valve in from the forward end.  

Not for sure if this was a good idea to get the head off, but I did a little persuasive prying under the thermostat casting flange...  Not too aggressive...

Two cylinders were full of everything I've been dumping down the spark plug holes for a year.  The other two were not.

After I pumped the fluid out I wiped down the cylinders.  This is what I'm looking at.  Not the best picture.  The cylinder walls have rust spots all over.  
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 9:53am
The series II is my favorite tractor. I have 2, and 1 series I here. BUT, the 160 engine is a buggar to get parts for. They are out there, just priced well above the others. I spent a lot of time chasing Richland for sleeve source.

JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 9:55am
I do have OEM available on the sleaves.

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 8:13am
Good to hear Jim.  I'll be bugging you shortly I'm sure.

Last night was kind of a late one.  I thought I could get this engine out pretty easily.  I disconnected everything and slid the front mount plate as far forward as I could, but since the whole clutch assembly came out with the engine I put the crankshaft pulley in a bind and broke it...  If only I had pulled the pulley...

DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 9:17am
It's a lot easier to get the engine out by pulling the front axle and removing the frame rails.  Fortunately, new crank pulleys are available aftermarket.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 9:32am

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by DSeries4 DSeries4 wrote:

It's a lot easier to get the engine out by pulling the front axle and removing the frame rails.  Fortunately, new crank pulleys are available aftermarket.

Yeah thanks.  Lesson learned (again).  Follow the shop manual!  Wink  
I'll be splitting the front when it goes back together.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 9:44pm
Put the engine on the stand tonight, pressure washed it, and also pulled the pan.  Pretty rough inside.  While I was pressure washing the pan I blew some more holes into the oil pan.  

Here's a look at the clutch and flywheel.

Engine on the stand.

Inside of oil pan.

Inside the block

Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 10:13pm
Not as bad as I would have thought. Plug the holes on your power steering pump.Pretty sure that is the original ceramic type clutch disc. They were very thin to start with. Rick Corder in Mo.can fix you up with the properly set clutch and pressure plate. Turn the flywheel with the minimum cleanup as possible. If you do this , you will have a clutch that works properly and pedal will stand up correctly. The new clutch disc are too thick, this forces the pressure plate fingers to be too low, won't have enough spring pressure on clutch disc, and won't release properly. HTH Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 6:31am
Assuming those are a loader/blade mount on the side rails, you will def. want to be checking the "king pin" when you slide the front end out; that area can take a beating over time and get wallowed out.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 7:24am
Originally posted by TimNearFortWorth TimNearFortWorth wrote:

Assuming those are a loader/blade mount on the side rails, you will def. want to be checking the "king pin" when you slide the front end out; that area can take a beating over time and get wallowed out.

I sure hope it looks better than mine did. Fortunately my bushing was not wore all the way thru.
VFDfireman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VFDfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 9:29am
Originally posted by structures structures wrote:

Put the engine on the stand tonight, pressure washed it, and also pulled the pan.  Pretty rough inside.  While I was pressure washing the pan I blew some more holes into the oil pan.  

Here's a look at the clutch and flywheel.
<span style="line-height: 1.5;"></span>
<span style="line-height: 1.5;">
</span>
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.5;">Engine on the stand.</span>
</span>
Inside of oil pan.
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.5;">Inside the block</span>
</span>

Fwiw I had a great deal of success cleaning my Wd45 block and crank that was in far worse condition by soaking the parts in a cow lick tub filled with a mix of purple power an water. I then removed the rust via electrolysis in a similar tub.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
  Share Topic