This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HVAC return?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HVAC return?
    Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 9:55am
Having our master bathroom remodeled
Contractor pulled the Sheetrock (wall) off. Found the return has no ductwork. Just runs in the stud bays. Think the other 2 returns are the same. Is this a common practice? Thanks
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 10:06am
YES ! It's a highly profitable CHEAT....
uses the cavity, saves buying tin to do the job RIGHT.....
have seen them REMOVE the insulation to do this SCAM.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 10:24am
Sounds about right, thanks Jay.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 11:54am
Interior walls? Yes, very common
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 12:52pm
Yes common here ,mostly back in the day . Believe they have to pan the studs on both sides presently. Hear rumors of insulated plenums and returns being required in the future.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 1:55pm
Common here too. I wouldn't call it a cheat. Why do you need a metal pipe inside our wall just to move air when you can just suck it throguh the wall?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 1:58pm
HVAC Code on return air wall duct here is Tin shielded for fire extension limitation.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 2:16pm
Thanks guys, it's been this way since day one. Seems to work fine
My guy said he'd run ductwork but I really don't see the need. Only issue I've had is a slight whistle when the return filter gets a little dirty. Guess it pulls air through holes where the towel bar is installed. Thanks again

Edited by ACinSC - 30 Aug 2023 at 2:17pm
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 5:11pm
Not as important on an old build when there was no AC around. Would seem more important on modern HVAC system. I grew up in a house heated with coal furnace. It had no fan just convection principal. Hot rises an cold(return) sinks. Furnace was in the basement.

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 30 Aug 2023 at 5:12pm
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 5:26pm
Old-timers were way tougher than me. I'd sure hate to live with air conditioning . Don't see any houses around here with basements. Thanks
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2023 at 3:21pm
Remember old gravity air was backwards from present designs , return air was generally floor mounted by outside walls and windows and heat was on interior walls or floors . 
 Now return is on inside walls and heat to perimeter of building on or near windows . 
The day of gravity movement of hot and cold air has changed and seldom used , same with in many regions ceiling mounted heat and cooling is used rather than floor level. 
 I had a return air on interior wall and on opposite side was refrigerator , so i ended up cutting a vent to pick up the heat on the coils on back of frig as it was covered on top by cabinets , stops heat buildup behind frig. 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 6:48am
Every house owned up north used the spacing between the joists as ‘cold air returns. Only ductwork was in the basement where the ‘run’ went across the room to the furnace.
Here in Texas, the houses we had, all have been no basement, so just one big ‘cold air return’ vent close to the furnace that sits on a floor, or up in the attic.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 6:54am
the new 'cheat' I've seen is the HVAC 'pros', staple 'HVAC ducting' to the bottom of the floor joists. It's maybe 1" thick hard fibreglas with aluminum on one side.
I say 'cheat' as they only seal the section to section gaps NOT  lengthwise  , so it's NOT sealed like traditional metal ducts would be.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 7:02am
Current designs are essentially cardboard with a aluminum skin.  Our own home has that where the seams are tape sealed and the contact face is a adhesive edge.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 7:24am
Not sure what my guy's plan is. He won't be back until Tuesday. They did fill empty wire? Holes in this stud bay. Have 2 returns at the top of the wall and 1 at the bottom. He said they should have put all 3 floor level. It has been working okay for 25 years. Thanks
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 8:25am
I've been told.....top of wall returns are for air conditioning, bottom for heat.
The problem is the returns need to be 'seasonally' adjusted. Should have automatic dampers/ doors controlled from HVAC unit.

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 8:33am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

I've been told.....top of wall returns are for air conditioning, bottom for heat.
The problem is the returns need to be 'seasonally' adjusted. Should have automatic dampers/ doors controlled from HVAC unit.
wouldn’t that require actuators and smarts from fuzzy logic processors in the hvac unit?
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 8:58am
Some bigger houses use to have LOUVERS... manually controlled to close off the SUCTION for heat or AC .......... others just had TWO as jay said, and let the system balance itself out..

WE have a Ranch house ( one level) with a LONG center hallway... thats the "return".. as mentioned above, the furnace just as a 20 x 20 filter BOX on the side for the return air.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 9:03am
yes, but it's not 'rocket science'.
I remember when 'fuzzy logic' came out. It was a short lived 'fad,' though the microcomputers I was using (PICs) were/are ideally suited to 'fuzzy'.....cut 1,000s of lines of assembler back then...

ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 9:57am
Thanks for all the input. I'm sure it will be better than it was.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 1:06pm

yes, but it's not 'rocket science'.
I remember when 'fuzzy logic' came out. It was a short lived 'fad,' though the microcomputers I was using (PICs) were/are ideally suited to 'fuzzy'.....cut 1,000s of lines of assembler back then...

Zoooommmm
Relysero View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relysero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2024 at 4:07am
While I'm no expert, having the return without ductwork might not be uncommon, especially in older homes or certain layouts. It's often a way to save space and money on installation. But if you're concerned about efficiency or airflow, it's worth consulting with an HVAC professional. I once had a similar situation when renovating my kitchen. Luckily, I found a fantastic Appliance Repair, Nashville. They not only fixed my fridge but also gave me some insights into HVAC setups. Maybe they could offer some advice too!

Edited by Relysero - 13 May 2024 at 5:18am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2024 at 5:56am
spam or fish ?

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2024 at 6:38am

spam or fish ?

Never liked spam, always tasted like munching on a salt block. I’ll take the fish, salmon grilled, thank you.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2024 at 6:59am
Spamphish. More common in the fresh waters found around Austin Mn. All parts of this species are edible
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic