This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KW Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 20>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 5:50pm
Been hard at it all day, drag bladed our Shameless PRETTY off the drive first during the 11F heatwave, warmed up and ate a small bite then got to ripping and stripping for rear brakes.  Down to Hubs to pull then start swapping all the rear suspension components I already had purchased.  Then as a Topper, my PCR results finally came thru on My Mercy, And YES I am Positive for Covid.

Old shoes were rust jacking under the blocks and rust adhering to the anchor pivot points, springs were well degraded and drums heat checked like a bad day.  Now to the Flailing to get axles out to pull hubs.

Edited by DMiller - 03 Feb 2022 at 6:09pm
Sponsored Links

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 11:11pm
Pretty damn active for COVID +. Glad you can still hammer away at it. Keep up the good work
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 11:27pm
glad i could take the monotney away of just working on the KW. you got some seat time on the tractor! be real careful with that covid chit...none of us wanna hear bad things about you!
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2022 at 10:22am
Yes be careful and head for hospital if you start feeling bad and get the infusion. We want to keep texting with you not about you. Prayers.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 5:19pm
Nose was a faucet last night, not had to blow it so much then this morning slowed back.  Was noticing, Could NOT smell the Vicks I rubbed on last night and again this morning, smelled at jar NADA.  Lunch came wife wanted bologna sammich, so I had one too, slathered mustard on it and got MAYBE a hint of vinegar taste.  Dinner tonight, Mostaccioli, could not tell scent of sauce, fixed a small bowl and all I got was pasty pasta and tomato paste taste, had watched as wife charged the garlic and spices to the sauce.  Salad had next to No taste but could taste the butter on a slice of bread.

Did manage to get the old rear shocks off, had to use torch.  Cut the air bag feeder lines, in NO Way were those coming loose.  Start back in there tomorrow as picked up some necessary parts for hanging bags.

Edited by DMiller - 05 Feb 2022 at 5:21pm
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 12:36pm

Hey Dave,,I been followin your thread waitin for you to put a spark in it,,and looks like you done done it but I can't seem to hear the audio for some reason,,,,,?
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 12:38pm

Hey Dave,,I been followin your thread waitin for you to put a spark in it,,and looks like you done done it but I can't seem to hear the audio for some reason,,,,,?

You really ought to get a home test kit so's you can get a step up on the covid IF it is lurking on you. Losing sense of taste and smell are first twoo indicators plus temp sspikes,,,,BE CAREFUL,Pard,,,,,!!!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 3:18pm
Already tested Positive on a PCR test, no need for Rapid Tests anymore.  Thanks as to the Congrats on getting it running, now the REAL fun rolls on.  Changing out all the Rear Air Bags(8) rear shocks, rear brake chambers and started replacement of Axle Seals, then ran into the Strangest Wheel Bearing Assembly ever seen by myself in close to fifty wrench years.

DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 5:42pm
it is called a preset hub. The spacer takes the guesswork out of setting wheel bearing end play. Torque inner nut to 350 ft/lbs and run the outer nut on tight. 

If you ditch the bearing spacer then it converts it back to the standard hub and you set the bearing play as you would back in the old days 
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 5:50pm
Studies have shown that wheel bearing and seal life is actually extended when the bearings are running with negative end play, or a slight preload so to speak. There is no easy way to measure negative end play in the field so most guys run the inner nut on tight and back it off 1/4 turn then run the outer jamb nut on. Using the spacer and torqueing the inner nut to the 350 is supposed to set you with that negative end play. When you are done the wheel should spin free as it normally would but you won’t feel any end play if you “shake” the wheel

If done correctly, Conmet/SKF will give you a warranty on your wheel end. Also, if done correctly and you use the SKF Plus XL seal, this setup will out last any Stemco Grit Guard setup.  Everyone around here swears by them junk grit guard seals from Stemco.  They are 1960’s seal technology and junk in my book

Edited by DonDittmar - 07 Feb 2022 at 7:19am
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 4:35am
Last Grit Guard I used was in the late 80s with the last seals I ever installed being National Unitized, had no issues with those. Interesting concept on the Conmet negative play assembly so may reuse.
Thanks Don, new to me info but good stuff.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 7:25am
If you give it an honest effort, clean everything up good and dont "hang" the hub off the seal/inner bearing, this setup will outlast any standard bearing setup out there. The PlusXL seal is a tool less installation, the GritGuard requires 2 tools, one to drive the seal in the hub and another to drive the ring on the spindle. 

All trucks now days are built with a preset hub setup. Think about it, bearings in your differential run with a preload and no end play, why should your wheel end be any different??

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 8:50am
Per KW Parts guys, Seal comes with New Crush Tube, torque is 400-500#, package is under $60 so going with that.  Also installing Gunite Auto Slacks to replace the Bendix that failed, parts guys again not seeing issues on the Gunite units.  The seal Package they sell is SKF 47691 seal number.  Toolless Install.

Edited by DMiller - 07 Feb 2022 at 8:54am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 12:47pm
Sure beats the old days of hand packing the wheel bearings.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 5:38pm
STILL remember those days, and the Outer Axle flange Gasket that had a seal to keep Oil out of Bearing Grease.  Generally OLD Eatons.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 5:44pm
Cleaned up some today, moved junk out of the way and finished Air Bag mount up with shocks, Supply Air Lines are out being allowed to relax prior to working the old ones Out and these new ones in, Chinese Torture Puzzle!!!

Doing hubs after get hoses on, hubs will be One At A Time, be reinstalling Brake Chambers and replacement Auto Slack Adjusters as the OE units are trashed.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 6:19pm
Completed the Lines install today, have a few tie downs to add but lines are in, BRUTAL event swapping them out, hands are SORE.  PS hoses are changed, front drive Slack Adjusters and chambers are on but need to clock the chambers for lines, will be doing rear axle tomorrow with more odds and ends, will also see how many Axle End hub seals I can get swapped and reassembled.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 5:40pm

JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2022 at 1:26am
Getting closer!  Keep up the good work.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2022 at 11:01am
Hauled a Half ton of Scrap off AGAIN this morning.  Weather was set to turn so boss had us take the day off.  Drove 20+/- miles to Rosebud MO at 9am, sold the junk, turned around and on way home the Ice Storm lit off FULL LOAD.  3/4" of sleet on the roads that were "Too warm for Early Day accumulation" by our weather liars!!!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2022 at 2:19pm
Our phenomena as of 0930 this morning for LITTLE to NO Accumulation until the Later PM Hours.

rw View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 8:35am
https://conmet.com/literature/

Here are the answers to all the hub questions. Their tech help is really good. 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 9:54am
Found that as well, and I am using their Seal system with new sleeves.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 7:38am
Dave, speaking of things that haven't been seen, I just stumbled across this.

Don't know how long they've been around but I have never seen these on a truck either, of course I don't live up north.  Don't know if they would be sufficient on a chain pass for DOT, probably not.

Edited by Kansas99 - 20 Feb 2022 at 7:39am
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 11:27am
Fire trucks have used successfully for decades as I have seen them, however do not qualify in some western states as to chain laws they have where Both wheels on duals and in some instances ALL tires must have chains ‘Installed’. Been there and dis not like it much.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 5:49pm
Got wheel bearings on LF Dr swapped and remaining hubs installed and torqued, had to stop to Snow Storm store run for the Wife, I had Day Off so she got panicky and asked I go to store for materials she considered Necessary.

ABS Sensors are replaced on Rear Drive Axle and sensor weldments have been repaired as were severely rust jacked.  Are no sensors on Front Drive, unnecessary.    Will be installing axles, filling hubs(Plug in photo) and setting brakes then airing up truck, check bag system for leaks, release parking brake uncage Spring Chambers and adjust Service Brakes then install the remaining three Drive OUTBOARD Wheels and tires so can paint frame when warms.  Have to do a lot of air and electrical tie up in frame back here next.  Will then move on to Steer Brakes.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2022 at 3:50pm
Got rears mechanically completed enough to set it back on the floor, parking brake is now functional again.  Decided to align Steering end pieces, pretty certain good choice!!

Air checked the Suspension and Brakes So Far So Good.

Parts have been ordered.  Be here mid next week.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2022 at 4:22pm
Wow I haven’t looked in a while. Lookin good . Fun to follow
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2022 at 8:23am
  Yes when the weather gets nice so will it be nice.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2022 at 1:06pm

Really want the weather to break so can get hood back on.
Is already a FAR Cry from where I started.

Edited by DMiller - 25 Feb 2022 at 1:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 20>
  Share Topic