This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 8:53am
we always run some rebar from the column out several feet in each direction into the floor.. pour it solid.. that way the LOAD on the crane that is trying to TIP the column is spread out thru the entire floor... lots stronger.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Sponsored Links

hd1937 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hd1937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 9:45am
Looking like a building now!
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 10:01am
Good morning Chris.   
   Food for thought (maybe). Stairs and ladders always seem to be a challenge. Stairs seem to take so much space and are always in the way, collect 'Stuff' on the sides of the steps (going up or going down - next time, maybe, don't trip,). The real estate that it occupies is expensive. They always seem to be in the way when you are walking, wheeling something, or daydreaming. In various buildings, we designed a hinged stair system, so the stairs could be raised to the ceiling area and used when required only. A counterbalance system is so easy to do with a few pulleys, cables and counter weights( 5 gal pail with gravel).
   I had not seen where you intended to have the stairs. (I may have missed that session).
   Chris, I really enjoy your write ups and especially the pictures. My early morning, quiet time coffee, is enjoyed reviewing your progress each day.
   Thank you for sharing.
   Your 'Cross The Border' friend in A.C. and pure Maple Syrup.    Ross D.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 12:26pm
Looking good, you will be glad when it's up and the heat of the days are past.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

JUST a suggestion, may not even want to consider.  When pour the Floor, do yourself a BIG favor and set either a square, hexagon, octagon or circle separator seam of plywood, foam board, the old black expansion joint for concrete (4 ft 6 ft however big you wish)of some form around the base of the crane post, IF and heaven Forbid, it would teeter or need to be removed so does not destroy the remaining floor.

DMiller,
Good suggestion.
 Cement guy said there would be some type of expansion joint. Not sure what or how big. 
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 2:58pm
Jim,
tadams,
Ross D,
 Thanks!
Man I used every trick I had, and put up one sheet of roofing today. It was hot and sticky!
Crew should be here soon to work a couple hours this evening. I worked on some little things to hopefully speed things along tonight. Would like to get the west side under the titanium paper tonight? Still a lot of moves, and I have not been up on the roof yet. 
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 3:55pm
re: Stairs.
couple of thoughts...
1) before you commit, maybe snag or borrow, one of those 'stairs on wheels'... whatever they're called. That way you have loft access NOW.(well, after the floor's poured)...and it's portable, can be moved out of the way.

2) if you put a staircase in the corner... 2 steps to corner landing,then up... you can use 'under the staircase' area for  air compressor, furnace, fridge,bench with phone and doodle pad ......

what's going on the roof ? steel or shingles ?? whatever it looks like a LOT of work !!

heck I'm beat from removing my new workbench to make room for other stuff, thta I now have to store in garage..
oh well...
drink lots of water, gaterade, OJ, TJ, etc. and please be careful !!!

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 8:40pm
Looking GOOD Chris.....I can't see it from here, but it sounds good.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 9:05pm
Allis folks,
Have some small fix ups on the roof. I measured several osb sheets a inch too long and the are at the peak. So I need to go up and cut them tomorrow. That is the gap for the ridge vent.
Here is a view from the peak:
All the sheeting is in place on the west side:

Got tyvec on the south end, Thanks to Eric and friend Dale:

Here is Dale on the roof, he just had to go up!:)

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 12 Aug 2020 at 9:37pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 6:43am
Looking GREAT, hope you beat the rain and get the Titanium Paper at least on.
hd1937 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hd1937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 7:11am
Better too long on those osb sheets, that can be corrected.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 10:33pm
Folks,
Little moves add up.We did not get rain so me and the builder were able to do a few more  things:

Ready to work on the east side roof.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 12 Aug 2020 at 9:38pm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 12:52am
you'll have alot of room in there if you don't clutter it with them ferds!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 5:37am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

you'll have alot of room in there if you don't clutter it with them ferds!
SD,
Oh there will be Fords in there too!:)
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 6:05am
have to ask..
Is the fascia board( 2by6  ?) screwed into the trusses ?
If not take the time now to use 2-3 screws at each truss. if you don't ,over time,the eavestrough will pull out the nailed fascia and then the 'fun' begins, trying to repair the mess . Also when installing gutters, use screws and hangers every foot. There's a LOT of water on that roof when it rains !

Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 6:07am
Please be careful cutting that sheeting in place. Sawdust on the roof is not a good thing.
That shop looks awesome. Nice progress.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 6:27am
Be Dried In in no time!!
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 8:09am
I think the 'electric pole' is crooked...just an observation
looks like things are moving along nicely, congrats are in order, maybe not say that till it is finished... keep up the good work
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 1:11pm
Floyd, maybe the pole is straight and the ground slopes....
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 9:23pm
Guys,
 Thanks for checking in on me! 
Correct on all observations! The fascia boards are screwed in place. Two screws per rafter.
I love screws! 
Yes sawdust is slippery, on a 6 12 pitch roof! I found that out when cutting the ridge vent. I was extra careful.
That pole will be coming down at some point. Power will be underground. I hate things that look like that! When we take it down, that may be the day that I cut my hair. I have not had a hair cut or serious shave since the pandemic started. Not because I cant go to a barber. I cut my own , and just buzz it off with a number 2 or 3 attachment. It was at the same time I started getting going on this building. Guess I want to see how scruffy I can get before Cheryl cuts it in my sleep!:)

Less shop talk more shop action!

Tyveked the west side with help from GG son Rhett.

Dark picture, But the builder showed up at 6:30 or so and installed 3/4's of the east side sheeting. It was much cooler. At this point they had 45 hours in the job.

I will work on drip edge and some nailing of first row sheeting tomorrow. Hope to get the east side complete, nailed down and covered by the weekend. Maybe shingles next week?
Off to order man doors and the siding tomorrow. Overhead doors are soon after that too.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 12 Aug 2020 at 9:28pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 2:55pm
Looks like the boy has about all he can handle with the tool belt
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 9:07pm
Tadams, Folks,
 But Rhett is determined to help. I rigged up a better belt with just the hammer ring. He liked that!
I puttzed today and got the first row of sheeting finish nailed, Then added the drip edge. The crew got here at 6:00 and finished the sheeting, and rake drip edge. Now ready for the ice guard and the titanium underlayment. We might have shingles coming early next week. Just ordered the man doors and the vinyl siding today. Would like to get the overhead doors ordered this week too.
Lots of dollars flowing!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 3:03pm
When does the cement go in
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 9:03pm
tadams,
Folks,
I finished a small amount of roof sheeting today on the east side of the building.
Also picked up 11 sheets of plywood for most of the area in the loft floor. Will be gluing and nailing that in place.
The builder stopped at 7:00 tonight and installed the last of the drip edge, the ice guard, and the titanium on the east side of the roof.
So we are somewhat weathered in! 
Shingles will arrive next Tuesday, along with the windows, and the fascia trim.
Son Eric stopped and we built the birds nest corners for the sofit. He also fastened the two trusses together next to the stairwell.
Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 12:58am
that pic of yer buddy Dale...looks like he just found out there was no beer left! lol
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 12:59am
shoulda made it bigger and taller so your camper could go inside! that's the size camper i been looking for to take to the GOTO's!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 6:49am
SD,
 Yes Dale will work for beer! A great guy and good friend. He and I think alike on things and he has good building skills. We worked at the same company for many years.
That little camper (command central for the building project) is a great unit for one person or two young folks. It is the smallest 5th wheel ever made like 18 feet or less?. Was for smaller 1/2 ton trucks. I did a lot of little things to it so I could pull it with the F250. No it will not go in the building. The wife and I have found at our age that we are not really into taking off and going camping. Maybe in a few years?? If we do, the little camper will not be what we need for comfort. (translate that into: too hard to get in and out of the upper bunk in the middle of the night to go...........)
Anyway yes it and any other camping trailers will not fit in the new shed. Just another reason to build another building just for a camper if we ever go that route!:)
I did buy a very nice custom cover for this little camper a year ago and it worked great to protect it during the winter weather.
 Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 6:54am
I sure hope you have an airnailer for all them shingles !
it is nice to see progress...
I'm still mulling over a 2nd floor for my garage, gambrel vs normal..
I have to deal with the city for a varience and permits..sigh....
oh yeah lumber don't grow on trees up here naymore, ka-ching ! 2x4x8 = 6 Canuck bucks !!

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 8:07pm
Jayb,
Folks,
Eric came over and we borrowed the neighbors scaffolding to work on the north side sofit.

Got all the sofit cut and installed on that end.

Some inside shots:

Shingles and most of the windows coming Tuesday. 
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 15 Aug 2020 at 8:09pm
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 11:13pm
All of those windows will be nice! Can't wait to see those rough openings filled when they show up.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 56>
  Share Topic