This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Grayray View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grayray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 6:47pm
I was thinking road kill in general.

Chris, remember the story of the tortoise and the hare, slow and easy wins the race.  You are doing a great job.  Don't let anyone rush you.  The end product will be something to be proud of.  Looks great already.

I've been threatening to drive up and check it out.  Might have to talk the Mrs. into an afternoon drive sometime soon.
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 8:42pm
Do I hear a request? Wink

[TUBE]qdI4kmvVqfc[/TUBE]
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 8:50pm
Yea deer!:)

Well I dont get rolling very early. But I did get the propane wall mount unit operational. Kept me from freezing today. Mostly good as a hand warming station.

Then to the drain and vent system:

Again, I am not a plumber so I have probably made some errors. 

The water supply lines. I would like to try to use PEX. I have lots of red, might just need to get some blue for cold?

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 09 Dec 2020 at 8:53pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 9:34am
Is the red left over from the radiant system? If so, I would not use it. Likely label says not for potable water. Drain stack looks good but the wye for the cleanout doesn’t let you go up in the event the clog is higher and dropping a trap to clean, the cable may go across the tee rather than down. But it will be years before a clog developes.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 1:19pm
Plummer, Folks,
Yes I know the clean out may not be perfect, but I thought the same as you. May be a long time, and I should be able to get downward from a sink if needed.
I will check into new PEX too. Thanks!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 10 Dec 2020 at 5:16pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 9:17am
Folks,
Just a had these for breakfast, pecan and raspberry (Cheryl's favorite fruit):
Kringle loaf from our daughter, to celebrate our 49th anniversary! Hard to believe! I am blessed with a loving, hardworking wife that has put up with me for this long. Looking forward to next year too! Magic number 50 years on 12-11-21! (little did we know that it would be a palindrome!)

On the shop. I did a trivial item that had been bugging me. Its the never time or dollars to do it right always time to do it over thing! The floor in the loft is 5/8 plywood, on 2 foot joist centers. It felt a little spongy. So I cut 4 inch strips of the leftover plywood and glued and screwed it under the flooring joints. It definitely stiffened the floor! Much better!

A little hard to see the strips in this picture under the flooring.

Screwed down each strip in six places, plus the glue.

So in hind site several things would have helped this, but all cost money too! 16 inch truss centers, 3/4 inch thick flooring, and tongue and groove material. (have to draw the line somewhere) And Yes this loft would have functioned fine with out doing this too. But Would not have been possible if insulation and ceiling is ever installed. So now was the time to attempt to make an improvement. But If we ever have to live up there, it would not have been comfortable!Smile

Last night Nic and I worked on setting electrical boxes and switch boxes. Some of the time was spent just discussing locations of outlets, switches and lighting options too.
Going to use 4 gang outlets in three places at the bench areas in Z1.
LED overhead lighting system is the plan. 8 footers ganged together in some areas.
 in the loft, a couple outlets in short knee walls and can lights in due to lower ceiling height (7'-2").

Still moving at the speed of snail, but as mentioned, still moving!Smile

Oh someone ask about the PEX floor systems still being pressurized? Well I have put air pressure in both zones to 20 PSI several times. Seems to go down very slowly in both zones at same rate in a day or so. I am assuming that will be ok. I don't know where the actual leak may be but its doing the same in both Z1 and Z2. Someone mentioned that when filled with water that should not be a issue. Heat seems like a long, long way away!
In fact one of the last of the big ticket system items to go in.

Hope things are good out there in Orange Land! Thanks for checking in on me. Stay safe out there!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 11 Dec 2020 at 9:29am
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 10:11am
Chris,
     Congratulations on your anniversary. Bet it doesn't seem that long. Hope you get to do something today you and your wife both enjoy.
     I think I'd like to be at your house for breakfast; looks pretty good. Makes my steel cut oats look pretty bland.
     Always enjoy seeing the progress you are making on your shop. Keep up the good work.
     Russell.   
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 2:05pm
  Yes Happy Anniversary to you and your wife and enjoy making plans for the big 50 one
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 6:02pm
Plyclips would also help with the spongy floor, but hindsight is 20/20.  Keep up the good work!Thumbs Up
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 7:51pm
Folks,
 Thanks! Just got back from very nice steak dinner with the wife! May be the last one till next year. The restaurants in PA are to shut down tonight, do to Governors orders, and will not reopen till Jan 4 2021. 
Stopped at Lowe's and Home Depot and picked up supplies for electrical work in the shop.
Weather was 50 deg F today. I completed the wall framing in the end wall of the loft. Also removed the stairwell ceiling rafters and framed in a higher stub wall above the stairs, for the hinged trap door to have room to work and attach. 
I also got the quote for the boiler and installation today. Compared to the other quote I had for just the boiler and plumbing and no install, this local guy quoted less and will do the install, and be around for a while if I need service too. Not cheap, just under $6K. Sure would be nice to have warm floor/ heat!Smile

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 12:23pm
  Yes , you will really like that heated floor, easier on the feet.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 8:34pm
I LOVE my heated floor
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 6:01pm
Thanks for the gentle push guys! 

Yesterday I got 75% of the hatch designed and built for the stairway:
The hinged end of the hatch:

2x8 frame, will have another center support added:

View from bottom of stairs up. Hatch in open position. Still have about 6'-8" of head room coming down under the open hatch. 

Hatch (Work in progress) in open position standing at the top of the stairs:

Shop events today. Nic came over after lunch and worked about 4 hours, installing boxes and running circuits.
10 of the 2 gang boxes, most in Z1 above the benches. 

Low outlet for the blower on the vent less LPG heater:

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 13 Dec 2020 at 6:05pm
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 6:21pm
Boy, do you miss a lot when you're playing hookey.
HAPPY (belated) ANNIVERSARY to you and Cheryl both!  It is amazing how much they put up with from us big boys....little boys at heart!

I think for the floor I'd manufacture a trestle type framework between the trusses to really strengthen them up.  Granted they are still on the 4' center trusses, but the weight per sq. ft. would be a lot less.  Shouldn't cost that much.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 6:59pm
Ted,
 Thanks! Yea you don't want to miss a episode! Wink
The trusses are on 2 foot centers but your idea is good about the "x" bracing. Will think about that too. One thing I do have going for this loft floor is that the wall for the east side of Z1 is almost running down the center of the loft. So there isn't much bounce. and now that the glue is dry it seems much stiffer!

Folks,
Yes trying to keep moving on this shop. Each day a little bit of progress. Nic and I did some brainstorming (OK mostly his brain!Smile) About the area for the air compressor. Yes, I plan to move the compressor out to the shop. Going to build a small contained and insulated room about like a big closet for the compressor. Hopefully to limit the noise. I have heard you need to supply air to them but have no clue as to how much?? 6" x 6" hole in the ceiling??
Anyway, I have chosen a corner in Z2 on the east wall where the short partition wall comes out about 6 feet. This puts the compressor fairly close to where I would love to have a medium sized sand blast cabinet too! (still dreaming!) The compressor room would be about 48 x 42 inches, with a walk door. I have to get some pressure treated lumber for the base of the room and then begin to frame it in. Some days, I feel like it just wont end! Real hard to tell if its progress or getting deeper in a hole!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 13 Dec 2020 at 7:21pm
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 10:50pm
Chris, back when I was working at my Uncles Shell Station, he had a huge compressor and it was in a room about 6' wide by 12' deep.  The compressor sat near to steel door and on the far end of the room near the floor was a slotted vent.  It was about 12" high x 16" wide.  You could sure tell the difference in noise when the door was opened!  Never had a problem with it not running/over heating.  The room was a stud wall with sheet rock on both sides and no insulation in the walls.  I'd think if you're going to insulate it, it would be REALLY quiet then and I think you could get away with a much smaller vent.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 5:44am
re: air compressor room..
I built an 8 by16 'annex' onto the garage2.5 decades ago. It has NG furnace, air compressor, steel 'pieces' and  a wall full of 'stuff'...
Yesterday had to replace the leaky tank drain(jmm..same as D-14 rad drain !!) and of course had to move a LOT of steel bars and angles and other 'stuff' just to get to the tank. grr...I NEED to make MORE room, somehow in there....'winter project 37'.
Also on the must do list.. add a PROPER air filter for the unit AND an intercooler. I'll use one of my spare F150 air filters ause the cleaner the air going in the longe rthe presser will last. The intercooler will be an a/c condenser unit from a chevy pu.LOTS of them next door...
For room air intake, a simple 4by10 floor register on the ceiling ar,far away from presser would be fine. Also,cover 2 or 3 walls with carpet. yeahs,sounds weird BUT the carpet will deaden the noise tremendously. It STOPS the sound from bouncing all over the walls. Just tack some up and try it,hear the difference. Also put ROXUL or equal 'sound deadening' insulation in the walls.There's 'sound deadning drywall, $$$ ,HEAVY but..one time cost..wouldn't need carpet then....
figure out something EASY to deal with draining the tank of air. I put mine on 6by6 blocks ,so I could get a small drain pan underneath,carpet tile makes it comfy to get to.
hmm... add some GOOD lighting (LED strip)...not the 25 year old Fl I have...great Winter project 40 and not outta the 'back room'.....
Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 6:47am
Thanks Jay,
All good suggestions too. I may try to do some of those in the compressor room. Yes my concern also that it gets all the other things that I can cram or throw in there too!Smile
How come building a compressor room seems some how more daunting than building the shop? Running out of steam, I guess.
Folks,
Hope things are good out there in Orange Land!
Today the overhead door guys are bringing me extra mounting brackets. I will cut 1 inch notches out of them to allow the door spring assembly to be lowered 1 inch. I am not touching the red headed lags which are color coded to show home owners that if you take those out you may die!Smile Very tight area at the trusses to OH door hardware! This clearance above the openers should give me some needed room to install ceiling panels someday? Not sure when they will be back to do this door work? maybe when the get my 9 x 8 door?
Also have electrical boxes to add in the loft area. 
Regards,
Chris
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 8:52am
Dont box up the air compressor too much that the compressor or motor overheat... some i have seen have the "vent" opposite side and lower than the air intake on the pump.. Need the NEW AIR to move around the pump and motor before going into the pump intake... Not necessarily thru the roof... That could leak, and lower on the wall ... vent/ screen could be a temp solver. Dont really need a pipe.. Screen window design  will work.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 3:01pm
When I put my air compressor in I put it on wooden legs and that way I can get to the drain and drain the tank easy. Had a friend that put his air compressor in and one day it went through the roof, bottom got thin from rust and it was headed for the moon.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 8:37pm
tadams, that would be a sight to see!

It might have been on "This old house" or maybe some other similar show, anyway, a guy was talking about an electric water heater that was in the basement of a house that blew up and went through both the ground floor and the roof and landed half a block away, in someones attic.  That would also be a sight to see!

Edited by JohnColo - 15 Dec 2020 at 12:17am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 9:27pm
Humm... to the moon you say! Well that sounds dangerous!
I carved out some time and worked on this compressor closet:
Layout, not very detailed. 30 inch door should be good.

The compressor closet corner:

More lay out, Time to get something done on this!

Pretty much framed in. Not sure how I will finish the inside yet? So might be some more work there?

What do most folks use for air piping systems? I will need to bring air to several areas of the shop. Would like to get some retractable reels too. (still dreamin!)Smile

Regards,
Chris
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 10:30pm
I hope the compressor is under 30"...
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 5:04am
Room looks kinda small for a compressor. Any sort of venting will lengthen the compressor life! JMHO...Wink
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 6:04am
hate to tell you but, room is too small, door is way too small.......
1st to door. 30" door gives you MAYBE 28" of TRUE opening, That'll rip the skip off your hands while  'dancing' the compressor in. I did that couple weeks ago. For the 'annex' , I removed a stud fromt eh garage wall "32" hole = 30 inch door = 28" of TIGHT entry.....
Honestly,use a 36" door,infact ALL door should be 36"..it'd be law in my World....
2nd, the room is too small. You'll have some serious 'heat build up - lack of air' issues. I'd go at least 4' deep x 6' wide. Front wall could be at the end of the white post,so 4' wide and 6'deep ? door could swing in, to right(agin wall, pressor centered on back wall. add shelves above cause you got GREAT storage that I'd kill for, keep step ladder behind door. Room is GREAT to store 'shop supplies' that need to be kept warm and clean and out of sight, lest they 'walk away ..all on their own'......
3 air lines... use 1/2" for the main runs,slightly sloped  to the 'drops', I've bought 2 'kits' of 3/8" plastic,3 drops each, 60' tubing,etc. I 'need' 1, but at $20...heck ,bought 2. yeah, Winter project #74..the install... Add water traps at pressor,purge daily, Add nuther filter/water trap at each drop with regulator. If you're planning ANY painting or blasting, install an intercooler as ANY water in hot air is bad......

I know I may 'harp' about some things, but no reason for you to make hte same mistakes I've made !

wanna have 'fun' ? cut out a cardboard template(circle) of the pressor and try carrying it through a "30" door ! Just measured my 'office' door, 30" , lnuckle scraping, flesh removing 28" opening !!!

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 6:43am
Folks,
 Good suggestions and observations too! I did check the compressor size and I think it will fit ok. Time will tell. The space in this corner just seemed about right and the 30 inch door was about all I could work into that size and still have some small jamb width too.
Was also trying to keep the foot print of this area smaller as it is in the area of the front of the truck parking zone and I need room to get around that too.  
Yes was looking at possible storage space above the compressor too. Might be a good spot for some shelves for supplies as suggested?
Might go look for doors today? Amish place in Ohio might be the next stop. 
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 15 Dec 2020 at 6:50am
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 7:51am
Chris,
     I clicked on the first page of your building post and it is dated 9 April 2020; would have guessed longer ago. You have certainly made a lot of progress in only 8 months. WhT  nice building you have. Always enjoy seeing your progress. Thanks for all the pictures and discussion. Russell.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 1:50pm
Russ, Folks,
 Its been pretty much head down and keep moving through this shop project up to this point. Starting to slow down on progress.
Today I took a ride with Jim and went to three Amish outlets. First was to look at doors. Really did not see any real savings compared to local hardware store.
Next was to a couple shops about steel, liner panels and also trim above and below the steel and at the ceiling joint. Got some numbers and ideas too. One thing I had not considered was using a gray color for the bottom wainscoting. I would like white for the ceiling to look clean and reflect the light too! Also priced the cannon ball track and hardware for the 12 foot slider door. All in all a good trip to think about these materials.
Also saw a building with shutters that might work on my shop. Some folks dont like shutters.
Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 2:02pm
Was at a friends shop yesterday, his original plan was using osb for interior walls and paint white the tornado and Covid hit and the osb when from $6.00 per sheet to $29.00 so he used 5/8" drywall and painted white has the led lights up and wow is it ever bright in his shop.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

Chris, back when I was working at my Uncles Shell Station, he had a huge compressor and it was in a room about 6' wide by 12' deep.  The compressor sat near to steel door and on the far end of the room near the floor was a slotted vent.  It was about 12" high x 16" wide.  You could sure tell the difference in noise when the door was opened!  Never had a problem with it not running/over heating.  The room was a stud wall with sheet rock on both sides and no insulation in the walls.  I'd think if you're going to insulate it, it would be REALLY quiet then and I think you could get away with a much smaller vent.

Thanks Ted, 
Good information there too. For sure my compressor doesn't run a lot. If I had a good sand blast station I am sure it would run more.

tadams,
 I have considered 5/8s wall board too. Concerned about the building shifting/ settling and cracking the drywall. From a cost stand point it is still reasonable.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 15 Dec 2020 at 2:38pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 56>
  Share Topic