This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Strokendiesel002 Strokendiesel002 wrote:

Looking great as always!

It's amazing all you get done, and how nice it all looks, every time!

Thanks, But dont get too close! The dirt/ mud was a mess. Just ryying to get it a little better and taking advantage of the sunshine and dry days to maybe get it looking better through the winter months too.
Today is national leaf raking competition and I am in the finals!Smile The ditch out front has been raked, now I just need to spend some time picking them up and placing them on the garden for compost! Which means they may blow into the ditch again!:( Think I may use a D17 and trailer for that project. The 17 hasn't done much this summer it needs some run time.
 Gutter guys will be here in the morning to re-route the gutters on the sugarhouse and move the down spouts to this end of the building so the water from the roof goes to the road ditch. Just another infrastructure item that I have wanted to do for 20 years!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 11:33am
double post sorry

Edited by Sugarmaker - 08 Nov 2020 at 11:36am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 11:35am
Folks
The Yale chain falls will come home soon to be tried on this trolley.
 Quick total on the Jib project. About $600. Lots of free stuff help greatly on this!
 Regards,
 Chris
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 10:12pm
Is everything OK, Chris?  You haven't posted for several days, I'm getting worried, not to mention going through no building info withdrawal!
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 10:51pm
Man did that job and trolley turn out sharp!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 7:45am
Folks,
I try to include a little orange here and there in this thread to attempt to keep it somewhat related to what this forum is about Allis tractors. Some days I feel the forum is becoming a different type of forum and it doesn't interest me as much, Sorry just my opinion.

On the shop. My next steps are walls roughed in so that grandson Nic can do the rough wiring of the building. I have been walking over 2x4s laid on the floor for weeks. Its time to get moving!

My west walk door came out in a odd spot for the inside wall. I needed to jog the wall for the door to open.

Next is the 9 foot wide x 8 foot high opening for another internal garage door. This would allow large project to be moved into Z1. This would be a R12 door with a row of windows too.
On a side note my door guys were here yesterday and they delivered and programmed all 4 of my new 4 button remotes for the OH doors! Sweet! They also will be back to disassemble the spring/ opener systems on three doors and move them down a inch. This should allow just enough clearance to get ceiling panels in place on the rafters with minimal interference.

Morale of the story here is that you should have the eave height approx 2 foot higher than the door height! 
They also measured for they 9 x 8 door. Awesome! 

Very impressed with Northeast Ohio Overhead Door Company and would recommend them to anyone!

A walk door will be framed about where the ladder is setting to go from Z1 out into Z2. Big debate where this should go. Trying to keep it central in the whole building. 

I am now considering placing two interior windows in the long wall between Z1 and Z2.
These would be approximately in line with the windows in the exterior walls too. At similar height. Allowing light in and cross ventilation. Also Jim stopped in to visit and made the suggestion that a window air conditioner could go into one of those also. Interesting concept!

Its going to get cold and the building is dried in, which I am very glad of. Just wont have any heat this winter. Will keep stumbling along. Thanks for checking in on me!
Hope things are good in Orange land!

Forgot to mention I am not a builder! Dont be too critical on my unconventional wall building techniques. It may not be much for looks but should be hell for stout!

Regards,
Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 7:57am
Stroken, John, Folks,
 Another weird shot of the jib and trolley. I plan to get that chain falls home to hang on here too.

Other unrelated items:
 Monday the gutter guys (Gutters Choice from Springboro PA) Awesome team! completed the work on the sugarhouse re- pitching the side gutters to the front. and then inmstalling leaf guard! So this has been something I wanted to do for many years as part of the infrastructure project now was the time. 

I had mentioned picking up leaves too. Well we have a long ditch out front that catches all the leaves in the neighborhood. So the D17 helped do clean up! I had a heaping trailer load of leaves!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 13 Nov 2020 at 5:47pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 3:17pm
I very much like the vertical boards along the base. I imagine this is to prevent accidental air flow from occuring between z1 and z2 down the road, as well as the wall coverings up off the concrete?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 5:37pm
Strokendiesel002,
You might have to ask me again. Not sure I understand your question. This internal framing is very similar to the ecterior walls. And is probably way over kill. My plan for the interior is to use the steel liner panels about 3 foot high at the bottom, and then place vertical wood boards maybe 6-8 inches wide above that. That plan may change too.
 I just did a quick rough calculation on the cost of heating.
 So if it I was to use 300 gallons of propane to heat the shop with spray foam and est 20% more fuel to heat with fiberglass. That would be another 60 gallons of fuel per year estimated. Est $2.00 cost per gallon or $120 per year. Additional cost of foam above fiberglass R19 walls and R38 ceiling approx $5000. 
5000 / 120 = 40 year payback. 
Humm does that sound correct? 
Fiberglass installers are going to stop and review the shop again next week. Lead time about 2 weeks. So I may need to get moving on the walls and rough wiring with Nic.

Also the bathroom keeps getting larger. Not a bad thing. Want to make it easy to move around in too:

This framing is kind of a pain. but should make it easier when I am able to finish the walls.

Great grandsons Rhett and Cooper on their WD. Was their GG Grandfathers.

Temp in the shop today. Not really too bad at this time. Lots of hot coffee and keep moving!

Regards,
 Chris

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 12:24am
Failed attempt to be funny about a hole in the wall down low. Win some, lose some :)

Very cool pics of the littles. Thanks for sharing your progress and talking out/ explaining your choices. Makes for very good reading and with the suggestions and opinions from others on here I personally learn a lot and enjoy that. It's also encouraging to see others with 10+ projects going at the same time and checking off the list one by one. It's easy to get overwhelmed and lost. You sir are an inspiration and excellent story teller. I very much look forward to logging in and seeing what you've shared.

Till next time!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 3:32am
looking real good Chris...i'm sure you are enjoying it alot now even tho it's not finished yet. a little hint: it never will be finished, you'll always find something to change or add. anyways....as for this being a "different type" forum...that's what makes it so great! just like the Allis tractors and equipment! anything where any Allis's can call home is welcome too! look at all the help this forum has been to hundreds of folks! it's sure helped me thru the years! keep on coming with your pics and descriptions...we love them! 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 5:28am
SD, Stroken, Folks,
 Thanks again for the kind words. I do get overwhelmed sometimes, and I know it will never be done too!
I missed the hole in the wall, Sorry:)
Off to help with harvesting corn at the local Tractor show grounds today. I was lured in with a free breakfast in a hour! A team of members will be working on picking corn with antique equipment today with various machines, maybe some orange too? I will try to take some pictures and post them later too.

The boys went deer hunting with me for a hour last night. It was fun to have them get excited about hunting.
Regards,
 Chris
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 7:13pm
Hey Chris coming along nice.  The walls are looking good.  Won't be long and your buddies will be over playing cards and drinking some beers!  I noticed the two little stacks coming out of the back wall of the sugar shack.  I figured they are for the steam to escape but wasn't sure since I never been around a sugar operation.  How do they work?
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:06pm
John, Folks,
 Thanks! The two 10 inch stacks are for steam to escape from the boiling operation. About 120 gallons of water per hour is boiled 98% of the steam goes up those stacks. The larger 12 inch is the smoke stack. 

Worked on walls inside today as the weather was windy and rainy at 50 degrees.

This is a view down at the wall base plate. I finally got around to fastening it down with several tapcons. Drilled about 1.5 inches into the concrete.

Started the wall for the bathroom:

I think I may move the large sink back out into Z1. Just seems like the thing to do! Would then place a small stainless sink in the bathroom:

Jogged the wall and framed in the stair well:

Keeping it tractor related:

Regards,
 Chris
Reindeer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reindeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 9:37pm
Looking good. Awesome to have a closed in warm space to tackle all the projects. You're going to enjoy the shop a bunch!

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 9:55pm
Okay, that didn't work.  The two pipes coming out of the wall just above the window is what I was asking about?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 11:58am
John, Folks,
 Sorry too many pipes!Smile
 Those are two 1 hp Aqua Spa hot tub blowers (the black units) which deliver air to the evaporator. One is for air into the steam away system. it bubbles the cold sap up and over hot steam tubes which allows a small portion water to be removed from the sap. The steam away is a energy improvement system on top of the rear pan.

The second blower pushes air into the fire box through a series of tubes and nozzles which are above the fire in the fire box and about 6 inches below the pan. This helps burn the gases, improving combustion and gets some additional heat out of the wood fire. Also reduces stack temperature too.

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 12:09pm
Folks,
 Made a list of materials (wood) and called local lumber yard. They had it ready when I got there, good quality, and it was noted that the prices of lumber is trending downward! Good news for anyone building! So I got materials to try to frame out the rest of the Z1 area.
Also secured the materials for the stairs, threads and risers. I got 2 x 12 for the tread. Most stairs I have used 2 x 10 for the step. Will see how this looks and feels. I would like to get these built. May have to put the stairs in without the walls being done? Would then need to finish the walls around the stairs if I put them in place now.  
Probably the right thing to do is have the walls finished first. But I would like to be able to get up in the loft to do some work too.
Do you guys like using drywall in a building like this? My brother has a similar shop with dry wall and it looks real good. 
So you see I am still open on the final wall coverings. Comments always welcome!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 16 Nov 2020 at 12:10pm
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 2:56pm
Have a friend that built a new shop and was planning on using osb till the price went from $6.00 per sheet to $29.00 and the last I taled to him he said he was going to use drywall for his because of the cost.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 6:13pm
tadams, Folks,
 Yes the OSB prices went out of sight. Hope its on the way down. $6.00 per sheet? Not sure what thickness that was? When I bought the 5/8 thick OSB for the shop exterior and roof sheeting it was $18.75 and was closer to $40 last time I checked. with 180 sheets of it required. It would have impacted the budget dramatically! I agree that dry wall might be a good cost effective choice also. I could live with dry wall on the walls. Maybe still have the white steel liner panels vertical on the lower 3 feet?
Regards,
 Chris

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 6:37pm
Well, since you asked.....
I'd like sound deadening drywall for my loft walls, use sound deadening Roxul insulation in both walls and floor cavities. Prefer walls to be  neutral paint colours, er, colors..., small kitchenette, water cooler,bar fridge, microwave, coffee pot, ceiling fan, remote controlled, and a nice 42-46" LCD screen with Wifi/internet access. comfy couch/pullout bed... a coffee table with back issues of OAN would be nice as well.....
thank you
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 8:11pm
Jay wants it all! Sounds really nice too. I will have to consider some of those features!
Thanks for the suggestions!Smile You have hung in there and provided good input through this whole event!
Regards,
 Chris
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 10:50pm
I used drywall on my shop.  It's fairly cheap and easy to install and it doesn't burn or catch fire like wood.  You can paint it any color you want.  My shop is white as it makes it brighter at night.
I keep going  back to your first post around April 9th, talking about maybe building a shop, what great progress in the last 8 months!

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 7:32am
John,
 Thanks for the suggestion. Any pictures?
 I am seriously considering drywall as a option too! I have just over 10 foot walls so 10 foot dry wall sheets hung vertically would have minimal waste. Current price is good. as mentioned fire proof. 
Not sure about the gap at the bottom of the drywall? I don't think I would want it to go all the way down to the concrete. Seems like something more waterproof would be good at the bottom? Maybe just something like a trim board? That Azack (sp?) stuff might be the ticket, but kind of pricey! Also not sure I want any wall covering to go to the concrete in case any movement of building or concrete might happen. That would not be good. 
I might need to consider 5/8 thick drywall since the wall girts are on 2 foot centers horizontal.
Sure would make a nice clean finished look and as you mentioned could be painted as desired too suit.
Humm?Smile My daughter just finished doing her garage. Maybe I could get her to do this little shop too?
I have heard some folks say to wait some time so that the building has time to settle, then apply drywall??  Thats kind of why I was leaning towards some materials that wer not prone to cracking. Anyway I am nowhere near being ready for wall covering.  
My neighbor is installing drywall in his addition and garage. I may stop over and try to learn some things. Helped him a few minutes last night. 
We have our second snow of the year. Must get off the couch and out there to try to do something! Still lots of moves to make to have the interior walls roughed in. 
Humm Drywall would not have required me to girt these interior walls. Could have just studded them. Well into it now, will continue on this path.
Will try to get some pictures. Have a tractor to get inside the shop too!
Regards,
 Chris
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 10:09am
There is 1/2” drywall available rated for ceiling on 2ft center. I used it in my shop. Held it a half inch off the concrete to prevent wicking moisture into the gypsum. Vertical seams, tape the joints and one coat over the screws then paint. A couple screws have since protruded from the wall likely from not being tight to begin with. And tape has lifted in a couple spots. Probably installer error as well as humidity. I did lid the ceiling in tin as I acquired that for free. I sometimes wonder if finishing the interior in tin makes it louder in there when doing noisy jobs.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 11:22am
plummerscarin,
Thanks for the info. I see there is 1/2 inch that is 25% lighter in weight too. More research to do. 
Weather is colder and a skiff of wet snow today.
 Aren't the toys supposed to be inside?

made some room for the WD

Shop temp with no heat!

View from the bathroom under the stairs that are not there yet!

View at the proposed 12 foot sliding door opening framed in just in front of the truck. 

Looking back the other way this is the 6+ foot wall for the proposed sliding barn type door half to slide past. Leaving a 12 foot door between the areas in Z2. This could be closed off where my truck sets. Maybe for special projects, or restrict traffic flow?

Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 17 Nov 2020 at 11:43am
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 1:21pm
The PO put drywall in my garage and them taped and mudded it all.  All the mud over the screws and the tape has been coming down for a couple years now.  The garage has no heat so it should never been done. 

When I did the basement where I lived at one time, I set the drywall on pieces of 1 x 4 on the floor.  Then I got the larger trim to cover it up!  I took the 1 x 4's out and used them on the next sheet.

When I drywalled I always used water and a rag to wet sand the finished project.  You need to get the mud just wet enough to move.   It turned out great and I didn't have drywall dust everywhere form traditional sanding.
Steve g View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 6:49pm
Spend the money do spray foam and add the pex tubing in the floor for future heat hydronic heating is the absolute best way to go
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 8:20pm
Folks,
 Thanks for the comments. I have not finished much drywall. So would have things to learn there for sure.
The spray foam Is double the cost. But I do understand that when done properly you have a ultra tight leak free building too. 
Worked on framing for interior walls today. lots of little moves to have nailers in joint/ corner areas. Not sure if I am making any progress!
Regards,
 Chris
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:00pm
My house has 1" of foam and then R-19 in the walls and we are comfortable year around
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 56>
  Share Topic