This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 8:35pm
Thanks guys!
Yes Jim is the guy that told me I needed to go get my Dad's old WD! I thought he was nuts! The rest is history. I help him spend his money too!Smile

Today we got into the water and electric service. As I dug for the electrical service to come into the house I decided to put in a new water line to the new building. Was just going to "tee" into the sugarhouse water line. I thought best not to disrupt that existing line and we had to be in the same area of the basement anyway. So I rented a "core" drill and made a 2 inch hole through the block wall.

Inserted a piece of PVC and used water plug cement to secure the PVC. A Fernco will be used on the inside and outside over the 1 inch water line.

Will have water and electric rough install done tomorrow:

Maggie can't figure out how to get across the moat!

Jake( builders son) puts on the last vent cap shingle on the roof! It was a good day!

Pinch me! I have no clue what I have got myself into? Will start to do research PEX material for the floor.

Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 9:00pm
Don't ferget the wifi...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 6:12am
Dave, Folks,
Yes would like to have wifi connection in the new shop too. Hopefully that will happen also.
Trying to decide where the water line should come up into the building at? I do not plan to put a frost free hydrant in the new shop. It was suggested to just bring the 1 inch vertical up into the building. My plan was to bring it up near where the hand sink will be in the restroom. 

Big day today. Our Great grandson is starting kindergarten today. Wow! I must be old!

Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 7:48am
     Looking great. Always good to get the roof on a building so as not to get the wood all rain soaked. Keep up the good work. Appears that you will have the outside finished before winter sets in then you can work on the inside during the cold weather.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 12:46pm
Check into the insulation layer for pex heating that has the holders for the pex tubing, all you do is lay insulation on ground then lay the pex into the holders and it's done.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 3:09pm
pex hockey puck panels....
one version..
gotta be more.
'as seen on TV' DIY shows, they make it look simple....The real challenge is the proper design.... 'zones' and layout....so spend some time and get edumacated.....

Do yourself a HUGE favour ( favor) ! Run CAT5 from house to garage instead of 'WiFi' !! it'l be 8-10X faster and reliable.

BTW those wifi enable cameras take a HUGE amount of 'bandwidth' out of your route as well......

Edited by jaybmiller - 25 Aug 2020 at 3:12pm
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 8:32pm
Folks,
 Today we finished digging between the buildings for water, and electric.

Grandson Nic stopped by tonight and installed the service disconnect. Still at the roughing stage.

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 3:18pm
Won't be long and you will have electric and not a bunch of extention cords stretched out
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 8:29pm
Tadams,
 Folks,
 Yes, the good news was that the building is close enough to the house garage and sugar house that the cord length we could reach the work easily.

Went to Atlantic PA Miller Hemlock and picked up the ship lap material for the wainscoting:

Unloaded it in the new building. First time I had used the door on the east side, and backed in the trailer. Glad I made 12 ft wide doors!

Adam and Maggie helped get it unloaded and stickered.

WD45 got to spend the night in the new shop!

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 6:13am
nice progress, looks like  just enough to do without feeling like the weight of the world is upon you.....hopefully you've got a book or list and checking OFF 'things to do' more than adding 'more stuff'......like mybe a cupola with a weathervane ? A nice siloette of a tractor( orange of course) !

It took 2 weeks but I finally got an email back from the City, it'll cost me a $595 'donation' to literally roll the dice to see if I will get a 'minor' variance to put 2nd storey on the garage. They could say no and keep my money...
sigh...

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 6:49am
JayB,
 I am pretty sure they will allow the variance. Then you get to spend money in the community and keep things moving. Going up they probably dont get any more tax dollars but they do get the $595!

Folks,
Yes I have found things to do every day to stay busy. Many many more moves to make. Small advances each day seem to work best for me. 

I met with the gutter guy yesterday. Going to put leaf guard on all the buildings and the new 6 inch gutters on this new building. Down spouts at each corner. 
Have too get the drain work done first. I want to run lines out to the road ditch to move the water away from the buildings. 
Gutters and drains will be approx $4k. Got to have them and currently still within budget.

I have added a few things as I have gone through the build process but also countered those costs with some sweat equity and trading work with friends. 

Main things added were:
- the additional material in the three load bearing door headers. about $1K
- PVC materials for the cladding of the inside of the overhead doors and PVC brick molding. about $1k

Next big items will be the concrete and the overhead doors. Both are in process, doors are ordered. Concrete work will start in a week or so. 
Still have to find cost of the PEX materials. 

Humm, Orange tractor weather vane? I like how your think!Smile
Regards,
 Chris
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 7:02am
I had to change the wording to “limited access storage” and not build stairs in my barn (put ladder steps only) or they wanted me to add a sprinkler system to meet fire code. Sounds like you have better county codes up there. Very nice progress!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 8:32pm
allisbred,
We have inspectors we can contact and have the building inspected or we can choose not to use them. The township gives us the list and that's it. 
I want to have a good quality building and am not trying to cut any corners that I am aware of. But at this time the only inspector will be for the new service disconnect. That will be inspected before the power company comes and pulls in the new electric.
Today I putzed with several details:
 The aluminum for the back side of the corners of the overhead doors:

installed 2 but have another design detail so they may come out .

Allis tractors seem to like it pretty good too:

Had our first rain on the roof today.

Also did a trial fit up of the Hemlock wainscoting and the gray:

Explored several options for the siding:

I think this will be the final product.

I need to find the stain for the hemlock to match the sugarhouse:

Thanks for checking in on me!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 13 Sep 2020 at 2:26am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 8:53pm
options, there's always yet another 'option',sigh.......

re: the stain.....
If possible, prestain the boards before you install. Sorry, the orange may have to sit outside for a day or two, but.. it's a lot easier and faster to stain them now than when installed. You can get the tongues 100% stained, so when the wood shrinks you don't see bare wood. I did this with the T1-11 sheets for my garage and ,yes, staining 4by8 sheets wasn't fun BUT it really did make the job go faster.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 11:59am
Jay, Folks,
Yes that is the plan. Cut all the hemlock to size like 37 inches with a 15 degree drip edge on the bottom, lay them all out and spray and back roll them, let dry, maybe re-coat? Then hang them with stainless steel torx small head screws, Which I have heard about but need to find. About 3 screws in the top and three near the bottom of each board.

And yes there are so many ways to complete these details. Every one has ideas too. Its all about trying to do a little research, sorting out the good information and taking the action to do something, even if it may be different.

We have rain running off the building!Smile

Regards,
Chris

Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 3:48pm
The one issue that I can see with the final choice, is you will need a starter strip, and keeping it down fairly tight to the "Z" flashing, will be a bear to hook in and secure.  BUT will give a very nice clean look!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 6:47pm
yet another 'detail'.....
when you decide on the stain buy at least 1 extra 5 gallon pail of it, hopefully all cans will be from the same batch, so 100% the same colour...

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 7:02pm
The screws are looking for are for Trim installation, they used plain steels but coated on our rear deck face boards.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 9:47pm
Dave, Jay, DMiller, Folks,
 Yes starter strip would be used and the siding would be up off the gray "z" channel about 3/8 inch. Actually looks pretty good that way to me. I thought I would use the upside down "J" channel, but it hides some of the dutch lap siding and can collect things.

Not sure how much stain I will need? I was thinking 5 gallons might do the total job. I will need to see how much it covers.

The screws I will look for at Lowes. Would like to have coated, galvanized or stainless.

We worked on the fascia and jay channel on the gable ends today. Coming together pretty nice.

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 2:28am
Folks,
 Into the details of trim work like fascia and "J" channel and door trim. All takes time. Both Eric and Adam were helping the old man yesterday. We keep hitting at it.

All the sofit and fascia work is complete and they got the gable end window in place.

Adam caught me doing something!:)
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 30 Aug 2020 at 2:50am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 5:50am
re: Not sure how much stain I will need? I was thinking 5 gallons might do the total job.
hahahahaha..... thanks, i needed a goo laugh......

5 gallons .....

sorry, things are are not much fun...so really it's nice to see your project progressing....

as for the stain.... whatever the label on the can says....HALF it !! If a gallon covers 300sqft, reality is MAYBE 150-170..and that's if you roll and brush it on, spray and  best go get a loan, as you'll need more.
I found it best to use a $1store roller. dab the end cuts first generously, then the grooves, then the face, then another dab on the ends, finish roll on the face. You shouldn't need to wipe them,well hopefully.. After 5-10 boards you'll get into a rhythmn and 'know' how much stain to get on the roller. It's not a hard job just ,well, boring , after 200-300 pieces....
The big thing is to have LOTS of sawhorses and 2by4s to lay out the pieces.
Depending on the stain, you may need a second coat, so be sure to have some music to listen to.. did I mention it gets boring.....

Doing all the 'trim' work is tedious, but looks like you're doing it right, ONCE ! The 'trick' is to NOT be in a rush. You'll get a far better shop and not have to mumble 'I shouldhavedone this or that'...everytime  you walk by it.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 6:22am
Jay, Folks,
Yes I have a problem that if rushed I may not be happy with the final work. The building is a pole barn garage, so it doesn't have to be perfect, but I want it to look good in the neighborhood. Being right out near the road it will be viewed a lot.

I have about 500 sq feet of hemlock wainscoting to do so it will take some time and work to get it coated properly too. I sprayed and back brushed the sugarhouse when I did it 5 years ago. I think I used almost 10 gallons of stain Olympic brand Honey Gold color, if I remember correctly?

Thanks for the info and support.
Having all my items on order to get dried in before winter feels good. Now is the wait for them to get here mid September. 
So I have lots of things like this overhead door trim work to keep me busy for several days. Then to the wainscoting, prep for cement, downspout underground drains, electric service final install, and a short drive way, on the east side, then gutters. Yikes! Yea that should keep the wallet lighter!Smile

Oh yes music! Chris LeDoux has helped build almost all this building. Now Patsy Cline helped with the WD45 project! I have to have something to keep me going. 

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 13 Sep 2020 at 2:30am
studer automotive View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studer automotive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 7:50am
Wow that’s a good price. I’m in Ohio and will be looking to build a 96x 64 and gonna put a small living quarter on one corner. Looking to downsize one more time & have cheap livin for the remainder of my time. I’m 46 would like to have this done bye the time I’m 50
a-c 185-d y/r cab turbo soon
99 f-250 7.3 4x4
86 mustang5.0 owned since 8/93              
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 11:23am
studer, Folks,
 That is a big building your going to build. Almost 3 times the size of this shed I am doing. As far as cost. Wasn't sure which part of the project you were referring to?

Today I have been helping the neighbor tear off his house roof to re-shingle. Luckily the temp is about 70F.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 31 Aug 2020 at 7:58pm
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 9:20pm
Chris

I've used the stainless finish screws.  Very nice to work with and finished look.

You might want to drop a RG6 cable in the ditch with all of the other stuff you are putting in there.  That will give you cable or antenna tv for when you're in the dog house.  The CAT cable for the network would seem to be overkill.  You can sprinkle WIFI extenders around the house and barns for an adequate signal.  I don't think you are gonna be doing any crunching that will require the extra hardware the cable will need.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 9:41pm
I have 500 sq ft of rough cut 2 inch think boards to be used for a bridge deck... I just soaked them with used oil last week... splash it on and roll out even with a roller on a broom stick............ took 15 gallons... two coats, both sides.

Edited by steve(ill) - 30 Aug 2020 at 9:43pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 11:41pm
As my 87 year old, harder working then me, neighbor seys, "Caskets don't have pockets!"

Studer, my cousin near Hinckley had her horse barn and indoor arena built by an Amish owned lumber company somewhere in your area.  I can get the name if you would like.  All I know is the price was amazingly reasonable.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 5:55am
I agree with John about dropping RG6 ( cable TV) into the ditch... I forgot that when I pulled CAT5 to the garage...grrrr...4 hrs to go less than 100', I SHOULD have pulled coax...sigh...
The reasons for CAT5 wire  is greater bandwith and speed and security. 'hardwire' is a LOT faster, something you'll notice if you watch Netflix or goto websites with a lot of pictures/video like Youtube. If you add a wireless security camera to your 'system', it'll chew up a lot of bandwith. If there's only 2 users you may not notice the drop in performance..until say Windows 'auto updates'.....
Pulling wires is simple and cheap,now......like PEX , it's one of those 'woodashooda' things.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 2:33pm
JohnColo was that H & H that built the horse barn around here there is a blue million Amish crews.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 6:02pm
Lookin' great, Chris!

I always run one conduit for power, one for audio/data/etc, and one as a spare... and I always drop a span of PEX in for compressed air... so I have one big shop supply that's in an environmentally-conditioned space, and available in all buildings, and in the driveway, hen house, and garden-shed year-round.  Seems there's always a low or flat tire that needs a boost, a dirty chainsaw that needs a blast, or a roof that needs new shingles.  When I had my roof replaced, I already had a supply line threaded up to the attic.  My contractor was elaited to find that I could feed more than enough air to run seven nailers in March and not miss a single nail.

And I second the note on pulling CAT6 or CAT6... I pull several, because it's inexpensive.  Using wireless makes it 'spotty', especially inside a steel building.  Using extenders can cut throughput of connections in half or more.  I just use wire to make the long span, and put an access point inside each building.  I use the extra hardwire ports of the AP for Ethernet cameras, data units, etc.,

And Ethernet typically only uses two of the pairs (green and orange), the other two pairs are unused.  In the main spans I use unused pairs either for telephone (intercom) or for audio LEFT and audio RIGHT to my jukebox system... distribute audio to all the buildings, so I can listen to the same music from building to building... and in the garden... on the patio... in the radio room... in the barn...

Edited by DaveKamp - 31 Aug 2020 at 6:14pm
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 56>
  Share Topic