This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1958 D17 NFE (lots of pictures)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Play Farmer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Play Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 6:31pm
That looks like it's in nice shape!
Sponsored Links

Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 3:49pm
Nice!!! My tank didn't look that good I ended up using filler to cover some dents. You found a good one there.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 3:45pm
Guys,
 Thanks! Spring is always such a grand time.
Here is the new to me D17 gas tank:

I will use the gauge from my old tank.

Only minor rust on the bottom under the cloth band area. Good cleaning and primer should stop this  issue.

Area around the bracket looks real good.

Hope things are good in Orange Land!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 31 Mar 2017 at 8:01am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 2:44pm
Glad to hear you got it fit inside now. You got that thing running like a top now!
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 1:58pm
Chris great to hear you got her back out and running. It is a great thread here with all the photos. I am sure you can't wait to get back out plowing with your d17 again. It is just starting to warm up here and now we have 18 inches of snow on the way tomorrow.   Weird weather.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 1:53pm
Folks,
Was having trouble finding this thread using the search function. Sorted on views and found it.
I just received a package from the Brown truck. It was a very nice used gas tank for the D17, from Rick C. Awesome looking tank, and will make a nice replacement for the current one which I did get to stop leaking, but! If I it does start leaking again or if I decide to repaint the tractor this will be a nice replacement. No dings or dents and very clean!

I do have the D17 in the garage nice and dry! I had it tarped outside for several weeks during syrup season. It fired right up last night and I took it for a ride down the road and back. Doesn't seem like its been a year already since I bought it. Looking forward to hauling some wood and a few tractor pulls with it this summer too.
Thanks to all the AC folks that have helped on this project. Tip of the hat to Rick Corder today. Hope he is doing well.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 30 Mar 2017 at 1:56pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 9:00pm
Darn Kids!:)
 Regards,
 Chris
structures View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 12:09pm
Thought I was the only one doing donuts!  Thumbs Up
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 11:10am
Dan,
 Thanks for the recommendations of the three point systems!
Regards,
 Chris
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 9:31am
Chris OK tractors does have some nice 3 point hitchs. They even have one that let's you keep the drawbar while you have the 3 point hitch on which is really nice. A few years back I bought an AC snap coupler 3 point hitch adaptor for a wd which works on a d17 as well. I actually don't like that unit at all most of the time I want the drawbar and not the 3 point so I found it a pain to put on and off. My d15 has a factory 3 point with the drawbar as well serries 2. So I don't ever use the ac snap coupler 3 point. The adjustments on it where all frozen up when I got it never did fix that. Now it sits off to the side of the barn one of those things I will probably never use but won't throw away either. There is one word of warning with the 3 point though.   As nice as they are they will hit an implement drawbar or pto in a tight turn. It is nice to not have one on a haying tractor for that reason alone. A friend of mine took one off his IH for that reason after breaking the pto shaft on the baler he didn't like the 3 point much. So it really depends on how you plan on using the tractor I guess.   Another thing to remember is the snap coupler is way under the tractor and the top link is behind the seat. This make the lenght of the top link too short by alot and you can't keep the factory 3 point at all level when you raise it. The geometry is just wrong. If you get one of the ones that keeps the drawbar they usually have the pivot point at the bottom alot close to inline with the top link making the error as you raise and lower it less.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 7:39am
Al,
I build some stuff too. But I worked in a shop for years and I know what it takes to do these kinds of builds. Just the steel will have some cost and the time will take several days.
Yes I would want to use the PTO too. like for brush hogging. i guess i had not thought about the draft control.
I took a look at the discounts from OK tractors. With shipping it would be approx $500 ish.
Dave, Have a safe trip. Yea we are in single digits this morning and very breezy!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 7:28am
That tractor looks like it likes it out in the snow. It was about 0 here the last 2 morning. I bet it's coming your way! I'll be heading past your place again to see the in-laws soon. Don't think I'll have time to stop this time. Glad to hear everything's going good.
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 6:06am
Originally posted by alleyyooper alleyyooper wrote:

I'm just going to build my own 3pt for my 17. Have looked at many pictures and all seem simple to do.

Friend bought one for his 14 from a ad in a farm mag. It worked great except for one problem. A brace ran across it so you could not use the pto and 3 point lift at the same time.

If all you want to do with it is bush hog, that might be easier to do. If you want a 3 pt hitch that incorporates the snap coupler and traction booster, it's a little more involved.
alleyyooper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alleyyooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 5:25am
I'm just going to build my own 3pt for my 17. Have looked at many pictures and all seem simple to do.

Friend bought one for his 14 from a ad in a farm mag. It worked great except for one problem. A brace ran across it so you could not use the pto and 3 point lift at the same time.

Al
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by EricPA EricPA wrote:

Looks good, Jim Danforth (OK tractor) has some 3 point adapters on sale

Thanks Eric,
Would look good under the tree too!
Heck I just spent $350 on weathertech floor mats for the wife's new Edge. I just got the back one today, I was not very impressed. Seemed a little light (thickness)??
Regards,
 Chris
EricPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 8:20pm
Looks good, Jim Danforth (OK tractor) has some 3 point adapters on sale
Life is tough,but it's tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 8:02pm
Folks,
 The tractors are tucked away for the most part. But had to get the D17 out and do some donuts in the drive on the ice. Just a bigger boy on a bigger toy!
 Took a couple pictures:

We are in for some colder weather and more snow. The 17 didn't seam to mind.
I would like to get a good three point hitch mounted on it and used it to plow the drive.
Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 9:12pm
Dave,
Ignition is working much better with a fresh components and tune up.
Near the end of the pull the front end was light and probably a foot off the ground. Never lacked for power!
 I will get a picture of the hitch for you. Basically a 3/4 inch plate with a hole to bolt it to the draw bar and then a 3 inch hole for the hook! In this pull the hitch height could be no higher than 18 inches from the ground. Hit that right on with the new "D" ring set up and some minor changes in the stack.

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 11:03am
Hi Chris,
I hadn't seen any posts for awhile and I wondered how everything was.

Sounds like a good time pulling. Now you know how much that fluid in the tires add to weight. You must've got the ignition issues all cleared up and running pretty good. I could tell plowing that it was a strong running tractor. Did you keep the front end on the ground?

Do you have any pictures of the pulling hitch you had made?

Edited by Allis dave - 22 Jul 2016 at 2:46pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 8:21am
Folks,
Well I guess I will keep the 17! Friend and I took the 17 to tractor pulls in Stoneboro PA last night. About a hour south of us down I-79.
They had three divisions in each weight class. Went something like this as example:
5500lb Div I, stock tractor, stock draw bar. 3 mph
5500lb Div II, stock tractor, draw bar mods 3.5 mph
5500 lb Div III, some mods, 7.5 mph.

I had installed the weight bar with 15 lb weights added to get to the 5500+ mark. And had the new "D" ring hitch plate cut out by local Fab shop Edinboro Industries! Thanks Greg!

I was the only D17 in the class. Lots of Farmall H's! Couple Oliver's.

So I entered Div I and Div II. Went from a clevis (Div I) to a "D" ring hitch (Div II).
First class I pulled in third position, about 17 tractors. 240 feet. Won the class by about 4 feet. Was just impressed as the old girl took it out the gate!
Second class I pulled in the 1st position, same tractors, 199.6 feet. Wasn't sure I would place with that pull as the track had a hole in it and just couldn't get past it. Won that class by 5 inches.
The D17 never ran out of power! Lots of other tractors stalled out. I reserved a little throttle for the last 1/3 of the track and that seemed to help. She was snorting pretty good when it dug the holes in the track!
Big thanks to Don(MO) for giving me some pulling tips! Sure didn't hurt to get some encouragement from someone with lots of experience!

May have some pictures later. Time to go unload the tractor.
Hope things are good out there in Orange Land!
Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Allis dave Allis dave wrote:

Hi Chris,
Got started on the motor again last weekend. Was ready to put the oil pan on and decided the change the gasket on the oil pump just because. Glad I Did! The relief valve spring came out in 2 pieces. Ordered another one from Sandy Lake and hoping it will be here by the weekend. Put the head together instead and it's sitting there waiting. If I can stretch this job out until November, I can make a year project out of it!

Dave,
 Not hard to stretch these projects out! :) I always worry about all the parts that I haven't taken apart and checked. Like Dad's WD, I took the timing gear cover off and found the old broken weights from the governor laying next to the cam gear! Dodged a bullet with that move!
We need some progress pictures of that WD45 project of yours too.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 7:37am
Hi Chris,
Got started on the motor again last weekend. Was ready to put the oil pan on and decided the change the gasket on the oil pump just because. Glad I Did! The relief valve spring came out in 2 pieces. Ordered another one from Sandy Lake and hoping it will be here by the weekend. Put the head together instead and it's sitting there waiting. If I can stretch this job out until November, I can make a year project out of it!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 9:35pm
Dave,
Good to here from you. Have you had time to work on your 45?
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 8:41am
Sounds like you had a nice show. ahh the joys of summer.

That is a nice little Ford. I never saw one with the hydraulic option. Grandpa always told me about the special Jubilee year model. He has a 641 that doesn't look nearly as nice as yours.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 8:11am
Folks,
 Thanks for checking in on me!
Cheryl and I went to a big flea market and a local tractor show featuring Allis machinery. ( I did not take any tractors:() But I did come home with a Allis-Chalmers Farm Equipment Service Manual for the D17! )Also a operators manual for the little Massey 8hp Lawn tractor I am working on now.) Anyway the service manual must have been a good one since the cover is smudged, torn, and dirty but the book is in pretty good shape. This will be a nice additional resource to have.
Our son Adam came home to visit for the weekend and took the D17 for a ride getting used to the controls.
Regards,
 Chris

allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 4:05pm
Chris,
That is a real nice Ford you got there!
Mike
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 9:47pm
Folks,
 Thanks for the positive comments.
 The Ford Jubilee is a great little tractor also. Was my first large tractor. It had been fixed up and painted a few years prior to me buying it.

Have buzz rig, two bottom plow, back blade, and brush hog for it.

Still 6 volt electrical system.
 It has a fairly rare hydraulic system (add on) that stops the forward motion of the tractor while the PTO is running. Lever next to the seat on the left side. So it has live PTO.

Regards,
 Chris
BenGiBoy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenGiBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Allis dave Allis dave wrote:

Those look familiar but better in person....

Where's the Ford at? There's no need to be ashamed. I bet almost every Farm in 1930-1960 had at least one on the place during that time.

After I left your house I thought "I should've looked at that Ford he was driving!" It looked like a pretty nice tractor too.

That is why is says "the orange herd" Big smile LOL.....LOLLOL
'39 Model B
Tractors are cheaper than girls, remember that!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 7:08am
Those look familiar but better in person....

Where's the Ford at? There's no need to be ashamed. I bet almost every Farm in 1930-1960 had at least one on the place during that time.

After I left your house I thought "I should've looked at that Ford he was driving!" It looked like a pretty nice tractor too.
Play Farmer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Play Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 5:35am
Nice looking herd.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
  Share Topic