This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solar/Electric powered farm equipment by 2030?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar/Electric powered farm equipment by 2030?
    Posted: 08 Mar 2022 at 12:09pm
I believe “it’s not IF, but WHEN” this new technology will become mainstream (2030?).
Older combustion engine tractors may see electric motor power swaps/upgrades in near future?
https://www.agriculture.com/machinery/tractors/an-electric-tractor-may-be-in-your-future
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2022 at 12:56pm
NOT going to happen, at least in what's left of my lifetime.
First ,all the farms running <100HP tractors are/will be bought up by 'megafarm' owners. They need to run huge machines to be profitable. Current farmers couldn't afford the battery powered tractors,or the hydro upgrades or ,more importantly the WAIT to recharge !
2nd...love the '80% recharge in xx minutes' BS. Hello ,what about a FULL recharge? How about a 10 hour run time at FULL power ??? Never hear the REAL specs from REAL use. It's one thing to pull a small disc over pool table flat land ,how about a real day of pulling a 5 furrow plow, in clayish soil on hilly fields ??

3rd 'upgrades'. Many 'G's have been electrified over the decades,'funny' how no one is selling a new version ,least it's NOT making the 6oclock news. Big problem in modifying  is weight distribution. Be interesting to see how BIG the battery has to be to supply 100HP for 10 hours, and of course the cost to 100% recharge it. Did the simple math... you'll need a 240V , 400 AMP service JUST to charge ONE battery.

Edited by jaybmiller - 08 Mar 2022 at 2:38pm
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2022 at 1:59pm
I can see some big operators doing it, especially if the government gets involved with incentives. As far as it taking over, I just don't see it.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2022 at 2:25pm
 Allis Chalmers had a fuel cell prototype back in the 1950's.

Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2022 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by dee_veloper dee_veloper wrote:

Allis Chalmers had a fuel cell prototype back in the 1950's.

Ya but didn’t NASA steel one of those cells to fake one of those trips to the moon.
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2022 at 3:04pm
Well they got a lot of work to do to get there in 8 years. Even a 100 hp tractor doesn’t hardly exist out here. So say the average farmer is spread out over 20 miles and uses a average 300 hp tractor that works 10-12 hrs a day then sets in the field till next day or next move. Running it home every night is out of the question not to mention a fleet of harvest equipment.

Maybe in a orchard vegetable dairy setting they might work but out in grain production I think not. Places still exist where ranch houses don’t even have electricity. Farmers spread out over hundreds of miles in places. not happening anytime soon.
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2022 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Kansas99 Kansas99 wrote:

Well they got a lot of work to do to get there in 8 years. Even a 100 hp tractor doesn’t hardly exist out here. So say the average farmer is spread out over 20 miles and uses a average 300 hp tractor that works 10-12 hrs a day then sets in the field till next day or next move. Running it home every night is out of the question not to mention a fleet of harvest equipment.

Maybe in a orchard vegetable dairy setting they might work but out in grain production I think not. Places still exist where ranch houses don’t even have electricity. Farmers spread out over hundreds of miles in places. not happening anytime soon.

You gotta be kidding.  Along with that mega watt tractor We will provide a huge generator on the bed of a truck to run full blast on site to recharge the batts during the third shift.  LOL  Oh yeah that is easy peasy with the mentality of what is going on now.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2022 at 4:14pm
You boys jump right on that... Think i will wait another 30 years and see how that works out... By then i will be 100 years old and dont give a chit !! Wink
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2022 at 4:15pm
anybody got a 3 mile long extension cord ?  LOL
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2022 at 4:19pm
reminds me when Bell Canada  put phone line in at friends farm...
next day he plowed it up...
2 days later they reburied it..
finally they went overhead,on the hydro poles...
idiots....

BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2022 at 6:06pm
Just drive over to your 10 MEGAWATT wind turbine and charge up.

On the tractor we have 800 volt wires all over.
What would it take to run large 3pt lift arms.
The 12v volt linear actuator from the Lay-Z-Boy,
I don't think would work out.

I have an electric chainsaw. Just one battery. I have a lot of
down time waiting to charge. So I sharpen the chain. Split
the wood. Still waiting for battery.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2022 at 6:52pm
just for giggles....
Ford's Lightning has a nominal 100KW battery, lasts 230 miles(yeah right...)
Benefit of doubt make is 240 miles, @60MPH that's 4 hrs 'run' time.
So....to get a day(12hrs) of farming in ,you need 3 batteries ($15K a piece) PLUS downtime to swap out the batteries( 3 x per day...). BTW each battery weighs 1800 pounds(close to a ton...)
wonder how many recharges the battery is good for ?
And we haven't even talked about cold weather operations !!!

Edited by jaybmiller - 08 Mar 2022 at 6:52pm

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2022 at 6:59pm
Do them electric tractors come with birkenstock sandals standard?Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2022 at 7:27pm
jay, the problem is the TRUCK running down the road at 60 MPH is only pulling maybe 50 HP... Yea, it may have 600 HP, but not needed at CRUISE SPEED........... Tractor on the other hand might need 200 HP CONSTANT... or worse.
Morpar55 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morpar55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 6:13am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

3rd 'upgrades'. Many 'G's have been electrified over the decades,'funny' how no one is selling a new version ,least it's NOT making the 6oclock news. Big problem in modifying  is weight distribution. Be interesting to see how BIG the battery has to be to supply 100HP for 10 hours, and of course the cost to 100% recharge it. Did the simple math... you'll need a 240V , 400 AMP service JUST to charge ONE battery.

I think this is actually the bigger issue with the idea of trying to go all electric, supplying the power to the end users. So if I go electric I need to upgrade the service to my home/shop to be able to charge my vehicles. Which in a number of cases means the utility company will need to upgrade the service coming to my place. Now multiply this by the millions of people across the country who will need these service improvements done. That works out to a hell of a lot of money, who do you think is going to pay for it? The electrical grid in parts of the country has trouble supplying power to all of the customers at different times of the year, how about if the usage goes up dramatically all of the time? And we haven't even looked at the actual ability to generate electricity. I agree we need to take a long look at how we are treating this hunk of rock we live on, but rushing into a "solution" likely isn't as wise as some think it is.
1959 AC D17 Gas with some updates
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 6:46am
Steve, my reference to the speed was to determine how long that battery would provide power. A battery is rated in KwH (the product of # of Kw (energy) x time ). A 100KwH battery 'should' be able to provide 100Kw of power for 1 hour, 200Kw or 1/2hr, 1 Kw for 100 hrs. well, of course MFRs lie about the 'spec', but it's a 'baseline' starting point.
Similar BS about charging them....80% is often touted in the 'specs' for how fast they'll recharge. It's more smoke and mirrors. What they ARE saying(between the lines) is they require you to NEVER ,ever go below 20% LEFT in the battery ! For several reasons, never stated, they don't want you to USE the battery the way we all use regular batteries....
Battery life is directly related to how much energy you pull out of it in a period of time, farming would be the 'worst case scenario'...sucking a zillion amps constantly
 Yes, getting recharge power will be a HUGE expense ! Biden's Interstate EV power system is a 5 BILLION venture, puts a station every 50 miles. Each and every TRACTOR will need it's OWN 400 Amp service, you can't share them !

What's never reported is how EVs will run after a hurricane, big bad wind, ice storms, pole down ,etc.

DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 10:03pm
So where would the custom harvester with a fleet of 6 class 9 combines and a few or maybe 6 big tractors with grain carts and a fleet of semis to haul away be able to recharge everything after a 12 -14 hour day?Confused 
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2022 at 2:07am
was reading on MSN tonight, a coal mine somewhere is going with all electric locomotives. they start at then mine with 36,000 tons of ore, and as they desend down the mountain the wheels turning on the loco's are charging the batteries so the loco's can pull the empty cars back to the mine. guess that's all fine and dandy for that mine, but not every company will have a mountain to decend down for recharging. 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2022 at 6:11am
so what's old is new again ???
stone quarry,2 roads over HAD electric engines to shuttle the gondolas to the escarpment(side of mountain). They then used electric winches to slowly get the cars down to the main line. Only thing left is the winch and cable.....

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2022 at 10:39pm
Electric has been used but the generator was carried on machine to run part of it . 
Now the fuel cell is a separate idea from electric battery as it produces the power using a fuel and it seems many are missing that part . 
 Back in the late 90's the company i worked for was making titanium plates for a fuel cell for GM - we produced enough plates for around 200 fuel cells a week . The design and part of project was the old AC patents GM had acquired .  
https://www.oemoffhighway.com/trends/article/21602939/the-first-selfpropelled-scraper

LeTourneau took scraper design to the next logical level in 1923: self-propulsion.

The “Self-Propelled Scraper,” as he called it, rode on four large, smooth, spoked steel wheels. A gasoline engine, transversely mounted ahead of the front axle, turned a dynamo that generated electricity for seven motors placed at points on the machine that required power.

This tractor has 1,008 fuel cells joined in 112 units of 9 cells each arranged in four banks that produced power to run a standard Allis-Chalmers 20 horsepower ...
Allis Chalmers fuel cell work from americanhistory.si.edu
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2022 at 10:49pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMznpOp81iY

The AC unit in tractor produces 20 HP - the units we were making produced around the equivalent of 150 HP and was about the size of a suite case one sees air travelers use . 
So size of unit was reduced by quite a bunch from AC design  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 8:52am
This is all a pipedream of the scientifically ignorant and the mathematically inept.
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 9:39am
Given a 100KWH battery and tractor electric motor drawing 200HP.
I figure we can pull 80KWH from the battery. 200HP draw is 150KW.
That will run the tractor for 32 minutes. Isn't that something!

We need a bigger battery.  Maybe they could fit 4 of them
100KW batteries on a good size tractor. Wow, now we can run for 2 hours!
So if you want to run for 10 hours.... They say batteries are getting
5% better each year. Going to be 24 years before they get 5x better.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 10:20am
100KwH battery weighs about 1800#, call it a ton(need 4 strong mounting brackets !!)
4 batts = 4 TONS...could be good weight ?
Curious, What's a 200HP tractor weigh ?

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 10:23am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

100KwH battery weighs about 1800#, call it a ton(need 4 strong mounting brackets !!)
4 batts = 4 TONS...could be good weight ?
Curious, What's a 200HP tractor weigh ?
If you want to use it puling hard, like heavy primary tillage, 100-110 pounds per HP is a good rule of thumb.  Normally have to add ballast to achieve that.  
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 10:39am

Russia's invasion of Ukraine has caused crude-oil prices to spike. That surge in turn has boosted the costs of raw materials, creating a headache for many industries, including automotive.

Since Russia invaded Ukraine on Feb. 24, oil prices have jumped more than 30%, touching $139 a barrel at one point this week. The oil price on Wednesday had fallen back to about $106, but by Thursday morning it was trading at around $116.

As for other raw materials, aluminum and nickel prices have surged on speculation that a war and western sanctions could cut off Russian exports.

Russia is responsible for 6% of global aluminum supply and 7% of mined nickel, Reuters reports. So a war and sanctions could wreak havoc on global supplies of the metals.

The impact will be significant on the price of vehicles, especially electric ones because nickel is a key component of the batteries.

Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 10:40am
The 2021 Toyota Avalon hybrid Sedan comes equipped with a 2.5-liter Gas/Electric I4 that makes 215 hp @ 5700 rpm horsepower and - of torque.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 10:45am
Canada has 3 of top 10 nickel mines, heckuva lot of aluminum too so WE (CANUSA) really,really don't NEED Russian ores......

hmm wonder how long that hybrid would last plowing fields all day ???

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Clay Clay wrote:

The 2021 Toyota Avalon hybrid Sedan comes equipped with a 2.5-liter Gas/Electric I4 that makes 215 hp @ 5700 rpm horsepower and - of torque.
??

Yep.  Hard to beat an electric motor for torque.  Getting the drive to dump it's guts and get stuff going is remarkable.  But, for how long? In a car, you get it up to speed using all that torque and power, then most of the time is spent cruising along at maybe 50 HP or less, and very little torque.  Now, how does a tractor operate?

So.....your point is?
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 4:48pm
The point is bosting 215 H.P.   A battery large enough to power a tractor, for 10 hours, would be gigantic.  Would need a three phase  gigawatt charger.  Perhaps, a 121 gigawatt FLUX CAPACITOR from O'reilly might do the trick.  lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic