This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How big a pistons in a WC block?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How big a pistons in a WC block?
    Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 7:41pm
Is 4.625 as big as you can go? Thanks,JM
Sponsored Links

mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 8:38pm
No I am kicking around cutting two blocks and welding them back to increase the deck height  so the sleeve don't have to protrude past the camshaft and going into  2 cylinder jd size. In my magic ball I see 491 ci in the future.

Edited by mlpankey - 12 Jan 2011 at 8:56pm
JM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 9:32pm
can the block bores be offset to increase clearance for bigger sleeves? What is the biggest bore we can get?
wild child View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wild child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 10:20pm
4.750 is the biggest. You do run into a few problems but nothing major. Rod
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 6:04am
Originally posted by JM JM wrote:

can the block bores be offset to increase clearance for bigger sleeves? What is the biggest bore we can get?
  Yes .boring bar has to be offset away from cam side a 1/8 inch or more depending on the sleeves outside diameter and overall length. Sleeve will be right up against the outside head bolt holes.

Edited by mlpankey - 13 Jan 2011 at 6:05am
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 6:18am
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

No I am kicking around cutting two blocks and welding them back to increase the deck height  so the sleeve don't have to protrude past the camshaft and going into  2 cylinder jd size. In my magic ball I see 491 ci in the future.

Say that again? Why not just make a spacer and use two head gaskets? Maybe I'm not following or does it have to look like a block and not a block with a spacer?
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Lonn Lonn wrote:

Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

Say that again? Why not just make a spacer and use two head gaskets? Maybe I'm not following or does it have to look like a block and not a block with a spacer?
The problem is the sleeve outside diameter 5.125 and the length of the sleeve it takes to have a piston moving up and down in a sleeve with 6.250 stroke. If any of the sleeve at that od protrudes out the bottom the cam cant turn. most clubs have a rule on two head gaskets or spacer . The problem is getting stuff strong enough to handle the power . Any of them making over 150 hp no matter the cubic inches seam to be trouble.

Edited by mlpankey - 13 Jan 2011 at 8:52am
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 6:36pm
here is a pic of a d17 block with 5 inch od sleeves
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 6:44pm
one of them ready to hone.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 7:37pm
  You can see here why the sleeve couldnt come through the bottom deck at 5.125 sleeve from the bottom side with rotating goodies. It woold need a ledge in the bottom stopping it from coming through then a longer rod to keep the piston  from pulling out of the sleeve but a longer rod would set the piston higher at tdc requiring a taller deck height.  .

Edited by mlpankey - 13 Jan 2011 at 7:50pm
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 3:52pm
I've got about 120 runs on my engine that is apart, the cylinders are out of round about .006 or a tad more now, and we honed them quite a bit.  Piston skirt clearance is getting to high, the liners are hard, remade from a diesel application, but wear has taken it's toll.

4.75 will fit decent, but I really like them in the 4.58 to 4.61 range leaving enough room to bore again to 4.625 or larger.  Parts are more reasonable priced, lots of off the shelf pistons available as well as nice used ones from many raceing applications.  If you decide to change compression ratio or some other factors in the engine there's lots of stuff available without going to a totally custom piston. 

It will be hard enough to fill the cylinder to any reasonable degree of efficiency no matter what size it is, but at low speeds time is your friend, then keeping a mixture suspended and good flame travel.

One of the toughest engines I've seen in a low speed or RPM regulated tractor, cast manifolds uses a 4.8 bore and a 4.5 stroke, 325 CID it's a little 4 cyl, not an allis but another color.  It's beat on many built engines with a ton more inches and stroke has taken advantage of many 4020 Deeres at 9000 pounds.  They don't have to be huge, they just have to breathe like it.

A WC block isnt' the best cantidate to start with, it's just a little weak and it's narrow compared to later ones.  If you have the option to use another block or have to buy one, you will likely be money ahead in time.

Edited by wi50 - 14 Jan 2011 at 4:14pm
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 4:22pm

Pistons shows yellowish brown tent that alcohol shows in place of carbon color for gas all the way across the piston top . I also know what the head flows and use a short connecting rod to keep reversion away. Crank stroke gives you piston speed .

Edited by mlpankey - 14 Jan 2011 at 4:41pm
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 4:51pm

short rods are good at limeting power output of an engine.  They bend, or the crank breaks.  I've got friends that think the shorter the better, same story all the time, bent or broken parts.  Monkey see monkey do, again and again.  I see people wonder why the crank broke or a rod bent, but the answer is alwayse the same.  It was to weak, but the same rod in a better ratio is stronger.

It's nice to see a 1.5 to a 1.8 ratio, above a 1.8 and things are likely going backwards.  I wouldn't be afraid of a 1.4 but I wouldn't go any less than that.  I'll sacrafice stroke any day for an engine that has some durability and more ablility to perform in a wide powerband.

I can't think of how many times the rod ratio horse has been beat to death, but I've seen enough to know and will keep my opinions.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 5:10pm
yeap it gets beat to death but short rods still help a ineffecient head breath better and so does piston speed. hard to say a engine breaking stuff is power limited. If a small cubic inch would out pull a large cubic inch engine they would be no need for cubic inch rule would they or a market for large cubic inch engines.

Edited by mlpankey - 14 Jan 2011 at 5:14pm
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 5:15pm
it's all in how it's fed. 
Piston speed is good to a point and after that, it's just negative horsepower.  If a head is choked (which all these heads are) , and the cylinder is drawing air at a higher rate, the vaccuume goes up.  The higher the vac. the more power being robbed.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 5:19pm

I dont know how much was robbed .I knew 200 was a good enough for third gear on hard track and fourth gear on soft .  Reminds me of my cousin and his red camaro. He had a 388 cubic inch small block built . 6.125 rods  light pistons with short skirts big headers big cam aluminum heads list goes on  . Sounded good made alot of noise anywhere it went . It never could get to the end of a quarter mile as quick as my 396 325 hp camaro but it sure made my old dumptruck engine sound good where the crowd gathers at the staging lane and starting line. quote wi 50 One of the toughest engines I've seen in a low speed or RPM regulated tractor, cast manifolds uses a 4.8 bore and a 4.5 stroke, 325 CID it's a little 4 cyl.  I agree big bore is better than stroke when it comes to a cubic inch limit rule always go with bore .

Edited by mlpankey - 14 Jan 2011 at 6:00pm
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 7:43pm
Engine Bore: < value=4.8 size=6 name=bore>
Engine Stroke: < value=4.5 size=6 name=stroke>
RPM: < value=6000 size=6 name=rpm>
Port Area (CSA): < value=1.96 size=6 name=csa>
Number of Cylinders: < value=4 size=6 name=cyl>
Piston Speed: 4,500.00 feet per minute.
Piston Speed: 75.00 feet per second.
Average Port Velocity: 692.43
Engine Bore: < value=4.75 size=6 name=bore>
Engine Stroke: < value=6 size=6 name=stroke>
Piston Speed: 6,000.00 feet per minute.
Piston Speed: 100.00 feet per second.
Average Port Velocity: 904.10
< value=Calculate =submit name=submit>

Edited by mlpankey - 14 Jan 2011 at 7:48pm
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 7:49pm
a 324 ci with stroke instead of bore.
Engine Bore: < value=4.150 size=6 name=bore>
Piston Speed: 6,000.00 feet per minute.
Piston Speed: 100.00 feet per second.
Average Port Velocity: 690.12
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 8:11pm

how realistic is 6000 ft/min piston speed?  half that or less is more realistic in a lot of these tractor engines.  I know a few that going over 4000 ft/min.

Edited by wi50 - 14 Jan 2011 at 8:12pm
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 8:18pm
if you turn a 6 inch stroke 6000 rpms its realistic . That's the beauty of a 6 inch stroke actual rpm is actual piston speed . Math it just works
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 9:15am
heres why piston bore out performs stroke at a given piston speed

Engine Bore: < value=4.8 size=6 name=bore>
Engine Stroke: < value=4.5 size=6 name=stroke>
Average Port Velocity: 692.43
Engine Bore: < value=4.75 size=6 name=bore>
RPM: < value=4500 size=6 name=rpm>
Average Port Velocity: 678.08
if you look at the 4.8 bore you will see it out performs the 4.75 bore at 4500 fpm of piston speed but if you ran both at the same rpm then the stroke kicks its tale in port velocity which makes more overall lugging power as well as more horsepower in the higher rpm range.. 
GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 9:19am
I gotta tell you, Pankey as much as I worry about you on a couple of subjects, you are smarter than the average bear on these hot rod tractors.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine." - Mark Twain
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 10:10am
Originally posted by GBACBFan GBACBFan wrote:

I gotta tell you, Pankey as much as I worry about you on a couple of subjects, you are smarter than the average bear on these hot rod tractors.
I am glad you care enough to worry but you really shouldn't  on a trivial me.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 8:18am
I love computer simulations, they alwayse print out results for values put in.  In the real world though unfortunatly the engine runs out of breath somewhere allong the way.  Airflow is limeted and then the powerband happens at different ranges for a given setup.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 8:29am
Thats what they say and even the computer says that but real world my engine turned 2000 rpms more than the computer said it would for a rpm on the tattle tale tack of 6000rpms.You know when pulling you generally want to take the rpms above where peak occurs and pull back down into peak power rpm range. I would rather have a computer for checking my thinking than going head strong and blind into a project.  I would definitely need a computer when designing a head. Could get the velocities and swirl off bad without a computer and flow bench.  Just for kicks when you reach 200 hp till me how much over 194 cfm at 28 inches of depression your head is running?  No doubt your a talented guy . So I leave you with a quote from Grumpy Jenkins . When you run into that engine that runs better than you think it should its time to change your way of thinking. It happens to me to.

Edited by mlpankey - 16 Jan 2011 at 8:36am
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 8:44am

I beleve that shape is worth more than flow, velocity is worth more than shape.   A head only makes big "flow numbers" in a verry small part of it's operating range, verry small range in comparison to what it does on the way up and down from that number in relationship to rotation.

I could make up numbers all day long, I could say my head flows 170 cfm or 230 and someone will beleve it and someone will never beleve it.  I could test it on a dozen different setups and have 15% different readings from one to another.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 2:03pm
I believe it takes airflow in the form of cfms to produce the btus to convert energy into horsepower . I believe that the cfms to produce power have a effect on the rpm in range at which a engine produces this power number from. Cfms of air flow is based on the cubic inch size of the engine the cylinder head is on.  I believe it takes 194 cfm at 28 inches of cylinder head flow to produce 200 horsepower .now a 226 ci  engine with this head flow is capable of making the 200 hp if it is spun to the rpm that's required . I believe a 400 ci engine will do it at a significantly lower rpm.  Here is what I have learned by doing and observing tractor pulling . The small engine that gets its breath to produce power at a high rpm is dependent on the mechanical advantage of gearing to keep it in its breath. The large engine that is in a taller gear and spun past peak rpm and pulls down into peak and past it to the point of snuffing the engine out will be farther in distance than the engine which a lower gear held its  rpm but spun out.  First  reason the large engine in taller gear generated more ground speed and a object in motion stays in motion till a force equal stops it. Reason two the tractor that pulls higher gear and lugs his engine down is hooked to the ground and loosing rpm due to it.This engine is always the winner. The 15 percent difference in readings you talk about is people wanting best numbers and not using corrected numbers to obtain the standard but the formulas are out there for a standard no matter the elevation or barometric pressure may be at time tested . Do you really believe what you write ? You just typed you believe velocity is better than shape but in a above post wrote velocity can hurt horsepower . Qoute Wi 50 The higher the vac. the more power being robbed. Unless your running a charger or turbo how do get air to move to fill a void without vacuum

Edited by mlpankey - 16 Jan 2011 at 2:23pm
Steve M C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 2:22pm
quality air beats volume air any day
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Steve M C/IL Steve M C/IL wrote:

quality air beats volume air any day
yes if it didnt nitrous oxide wouldn't be a power adder now would it? A larger volume of air will have more avaliable oxygen when talking natural aspiration.
Steve M C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 2:50pm
Yes it will.You just have to get it in there.That's why the size of the hole has less to do with it than the shape.Then there is dead air and moving air.Some even think that forced induction overrides port design.LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic