This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop workspace vent

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobkyllo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shop workspace vent
    Posted: 20 May 2024 at 7:16pm
I'm always looking for ways to improve my repair shop. I've got a tire repair station that is in need of some help.

I have the local welding shop making me a small jib crane to life heavy tires onto the tire changers.

But my project for now is a way to vent the area around the tire changers. As you can imagine the ag rims are rusty, the automotive aluminum rims have heavy corrosion from time to time.

Right now I have to put a mask on to clean the wheels. Seems like a real pain in the butt. My thought was to make a air circulation hood persay that would hang over the tire changers and suck up the bad air.

What would you guys suggest for the vent? I thought about a bathroom fan with some duct work but I'm concerned it won't have enough suck. The next thing was a stove vent like in the house. Again concerned about the lack of suck.

Now mind you I can't afford a huge system like big factories have. How about a dust collecting machine like wood workers use? Also keep in mind I don't want thing thing to sound like a fighter jet is over head.
Sponsored Links

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2024 at 8:24pm
Doubt you'd have much with a bath fan. Good one only pull 80cfm and bigger ones can be pricey though not like a weld station hood.
I do have a farmgineered idea though. Get yourself one those chicken heaters shaped like a hood, cut the heat lamp out and duct it through a whole house fan. After you finish laughing, give it try. It just might work
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2024 at 10:24pm
you need 20 TIMES that much air flow.... Get something like this.. You can set the hose real close to the work... or hang a "BIG BAG" type umbrella above you hooked to this hose.

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2024 at 10:26pm
thats what we used in the Weld Shop... You can make an overhead Umbrella out of thin paneling ( 4 sided funnel) or a conduit frame with heavy plastic over it.. etc.

Edited by steve(ill) - 20 May 2024 at 10:32pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2024 at 6:28am
In the past, I used an old furnace blower.Started with belt driven blower, separate motor then 'upgraded' to a 3 speed blower with motor in the center(whatever they call that style). Made a box with 2 furnace filters to capture most of the 'stuff'. Actually scary how much 'stuff' those filters caught !!!
if you have a dedicated area, consider cutting hole in wall, and getting RID of the 'stuff' !!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2024 at 1:25pm
Look for Commercial Spaces repair shops, try to find a not badly decomposed or Grease Packed Commercial Kitchen vent fan and damper.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2024 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Look for Commercial Spaces repair shops, try to find a not badly decomposed or Grease Packed Commercial Kitchen vent fan and damper.

Just what I was going to suggest.  Or a regular kitchen range vent...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic