This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Old beater Ford SD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2024 at 6:20pm
Photos

Having to allow the Slicin and Dicin to heal awhile before slip the arms back in the razor blade barrel.

BOTH arms look as that, snag heaven anywhere near edges.
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 5:04pm
Latest and greatest news is the inner rockers are clamped in place, weld thru primer on them. Getting used to the fast melt of .023 wire is tough but should be welding some time tomorrow

A other note, doors, went to site to order the four doors, got “Out of Stock For Foreseeable Future” on ALL. Had local body shop try Ford, no good on rears and front shells 6 weeks out are $1300 each.

Back to pc search found Decent doors thru a scrapper. All clean and no external rust or pop bubbles, off 2012 or newer but are same shells. Got all four for $2200 plus freight.

Are complete with all inner Panels and
Switches.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 5:51pm
What weld through primer did you use?

Edited by Codger - 06 Mar 2024 at 5:51pm
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 7:58am
Seymour, was recommended by local body man.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 12:46pm
Spoke to a Body Repair Parts rep today, found the reason NO MORE 1999-2016 SD Sheet Metal.  FORD Wants it GONE.  Simple as it gets, they control the aftermarket manufacturers overseas, provide the designs and some tooling they quit using not want it ALL destroyed, eliminated.

2017 and up to 2021 are same line that will remain in production, the company reps noted the Company feels the Longevity of the 99-16 line got out of control and they need to see NEW Truck Sales.  IH is reported to be shutting down Anything related to the 7.3 next.

The supply rep note GM is going to screen down supplies for the Square Bodies and the early New Cab style of the 90s, they want Those GONE as well.

The Current BO status been found of suppliers for New Door shells is not going to correct.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 8:47am
Both New panels fitted up, and did some experimenting with the .023 wire.  My Miller 210 does NOT like it but is welding, have the Left panel sewn in, just have to do some dress down and reprime.  Get the Right one attached and will start hacking up New Corners to fit up.  Still going to fight with the .023 for now, be the LAST time I use in this welding machine.
Yesterday the local shop does Upholstery work got my Headliner and Console compartment cover done, they are back home for $360.

Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 9:16am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Seymour, was recommended by local body man.

Not a bad product. Try U-Pol in copper based spray can. I purchased by the case it was so favored. 
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 9:23am
I have a Lincoln Sp-125 Plus used only for sheet metal and auto body repair. Larger welders don't have the stability the lower capacity welders have down low. I use Lincoln L-56 wire in .025 purchased in 11# spools and the machine has infinite adjustment in both voltage, and wire speed.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 9:47am
I have a Lincoln 125v also.. Run any brand of .023 solid wire with CO2 gas purge. Works great for the past 25 years .......... Son has a larger Miller 230v 180a ... runs the .030 in it.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 10:59am
The Miller 210 is working with this, So Far!!  Do not see a need to buy into a New welder for the One Time shot on this machine.  I seriously doubt will do this ever again.
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Spoke to a Body Repair Parts rep today, found the reason NO MORE 1999-2016 SD Sheet Metal.  FORD Wants it GONE.  Simple as it gets, they control the aftermarket manufacturers overseas, provide the designs and some tooling they quit using not want it ALL destroyed, eliminated.

2017 and up to 2021 are same line that will remain in production, the company reps noted the Company feels the Longevity of the 99-16 line got out of control and they need to see NEW Truck Sales.  IH is reported to be shutting down Anything related to the 7.3 next.

The supply rep note GM is going to screen down supplies for the Square Bodies and the early New Cab style of the 90s, they want Those GONE as well.

The Current BO status been found of suppliers for New Door shells is not going to correct.

yea,, this way ya can't fix up your older pre-emission stuff, force ya to 'update',, or find used parts that may not be any better than you already have,, 
oh yea,, prolly can thank the EPA,, I'm sure they had some part in doing this.... 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 1:06pm
Heavy Diesel Manufacturers are doing their part.  Two Stroke DD parts Next to Unobtanium and No just buying a Sleeve and slapping it in a block is not how those work.

The earlier DDEC Detroit Engines are impossible to get internals for these days unless a Builder has them stockpiled, Detroit is Owned by Daimler Benz.  Cummins announced last Year, the N14, is now Obsolete for Factory Parts, the NH and NT series has been that way for close to ten years now.  try getting a Cummins shop to rebuild a PT Pump, will refer a Independent as they eliminated the tests stands and equipment to build those.  Cat is still making parts and servicing C series Engines, C12,15,18, are still popular in Heavy Equipment but new engines are in the works to obsolete these.

MACK is now Wholly owned by VOLVO, the changeover to a Volvo Line is eventual and a discontinuance to the base Design Thermodyne series engines and the forever lived top loader rear ends is already underway.  IHC is Wholly owned by Volkswagon, Freightliner trucks Companies is Wholly owned by Daimler/Benz.  PACCAR is the Last Remaining US OWNED and BUILT Heavy truck Line.  PACCAR Engines are made under contract by Cummins, HOWEVER, ALL Warranty is dealt with IN HOUSE with PACCAR, Cummins will not even entertain working in their shops.

ALL current Build Tier 4 engines are a Trash as Dies design, Expense to Overhaul a X Series Cummins is in Excess of $25,000 in Parts alone.  Rods, Heads, all Disposable and NOT recoverable to a Reman Engine, Blocks have One Shot at a deck true then are at Min Spec to build ever again.  Cats were of this intent but the High nickel Blocks proved manageable for two to three machining and are thicker Head Spacers and Gaskets for that spacer still in production.  IHC is being slowly removed from ANY engines production, the DT based electronic engines and the latest/greatest MAXXFORCE engines are being removed from construct lines by VW for existing Daimler or Cummins power.  Volvo trucks have the LEAST longevity on US Roads, 7 years parts begin to Obsolesce, at Nine years a Model type change eliminates all but outsourced Used parts especially electronics control equipment.  Those in the RV Game that bought them are now dealing with Unavailability up to NON Rebuildable parts as are Volvo Specific for repair parts.

AG equipment is following similar lines.
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 4:01pm
Yea....really becoming a 'throw-away' society...
Yea,, I'm not looking forward rebuilding my B cat,, hope it goes a couple more years,, by then, it may be more cost effective to update to E model,, as long as I can stay pre-99 year ecm....or,,, jus might park it,, an if there's any rockin chair money left,, jus go with that and some light side work....
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 7:13am
B, e and Cseries later engines all based of same initial casting. Best bet is to step out of the B and update as far forward as can.

MSX was last series for non emission where also has the larger rod journal crankshaft.

Cat tech here said as soon as the company releases the new engine line the NOS parts for all these previous versions will be all that is left unless the Chinese continue the aftermarket supplies.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 7:44am
Got after the Inner Rockers, getting better on the ,023 wire in my machine, is a adjustment to use.

Inners are Both sewn on, will need to dress out some then prime over before move to cab corner caps then the outer rockers.

Welds looked FAR better when moved to wearing Cheaters under Hood.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 7:50am
Did accomplish some further as hauled my load of Scraps off this project to Scrapyard, needed my trailer freed up in case have to pickup my pallets of doors.

Scrap is down to $150/t steel and $.90lb for such as Clean Aluminum Wheels, sheet aluminum was only $.35/lb.  And Copper 70%(Still sheathed or Burned away) only $1.00/lb.  Cannot imagine the Gawking Looks I received dragging the 16footer behind Big Blue??

Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 9:54am
Well, you're the opposite of what I see here all the time.  A trailer big enough to hook to "old blue"  being pulled with a one ton dually!!
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 12:14pm
Overkill? Sure, but I like it
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 1:30pm
Had 1900lbs of scraps on it and four buckets of that all small pieces. Never dumped a bucket, all rode fine the 28 miles, under Four straps. Had to keep glancing to mirrors as could NOT feel the trailer, as to backing where needed to place, with hitch right at rear axle easier to negotiate direction and speed of turns.
My 16’ is a Trailerman really heavy C channel frame car hauler, weighs close to two ton by itself. Goose would have been easier but set this up for this too.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 7:40am
Email last night from a Part Supplier, a FORD Dealer supplier that had ordered the Rear Upper can corner fillers from.  When unboxed them last week the were defined WRONG, Left one was a MAY BE close the Right a defined was NOT going to fit.  Right replacement TOO physically Wide, bolting Too Narrow(3.25" vs the 4.625 on the truck perforations), overall Too Short physically and reminded me of a F150 not a SD 250 or heavier.  Sent them back and they received, stated had TOO Long, P/Ns showed Accurate, Pieces inside were correct to boxes so I re-explained to the counter rep as to Dimensions.  Stated "DID Not See the Discrepancy", typical NJ response for IDNGAF and Did NOT really Look at them and replied was sending them back to me.

So, sat comfortably explained by Email, was The LAST TIME EVER I would deal with their BS service, even Screen printed the NEGATIVE value for their services and parts supplied, would NOT recommend ANYONE ever buy thru their Bait and Switch sales game.

Apologies came yet informed parts were mailed, explained again, IDNGAF, are trash, will be trashed as arrive, and the review will stand.  

Was fordpartsconnect  Keyport NJ
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2024 at 10:12am
Door shipment to arrive today, Freight Company driver to call when around a Hour Out so have staged for that to pickup on a Asphalt or Gravel lot rather than the Mush that is here.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 6:30pm
Made a Solid covering of the to be Covered face on the Inner Rockers, left the Weld thru Primer exposed and had masked that off prior to paint.  Have fitted the Left Corner well enough to initiate Weld, so went to the right side, still stretching out the outside rear corner some so do not have to fight in to align.  Once Both are fit up as best I can tolerate will set the first arc, is that no going back moment I dread Most.

That troublesome Ford Dealer parts department, well I got Mad, hand wrote a letter to the Dealer Manager, records numbers, dates, spoke to names and end result, received a Email the Refund was on my CC, were disciplinary actions in process, wished me a good day and was done.

Soon as the welding phase is done will be back to cab roof body work and readying for epoxy priming all the new parts and body work.  Then have to wait on paint for finances to catch up.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 2:25pm
BIG Day today. worked up the courage to set the corners, been fussin and floggin on them for three days getting them to fit the way I see needs to.  So today anchored by All manner Clamping Grips, set the two.

Need to dress down welds, have to finish rear of Right Cap but had to attain a replacement Argon/CO2 bottle to continue welding.  Then can add in the Outer Rocker Panels and get to prepping, with plastic cover work of body work and priming.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 6:38pm
Welding is Complete, since photos taken, ground off high spots of pocket welds and started sanding off the peeling material on the roof, working down the cab to self etch filler prime once get all the spot filling done.  Even trial fitted old door to check body lines.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 6:46pm

Can really see the Dent been removed Lower Right Corner, similar done at L Upper.  Have Woven Cookie grinder wheel will be removing the Seam Cover in the two cab channels and replacing with a Two Part hardening flowable self leveling filler as it has pulled away from the cab skin.

Wife none to amused with me as removed that seeping KW fuel tank, took to Car Wash and flushed as much as could remove internally, hauled it to Haslag Welding Krakow MO, 3-5 weeks will be Strapped and bad spots repairs.  Hauled in Her Explorer as the Above truck is a bit out of service!!!

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 6:26am
Haslag called Friday, tank is completed.  They were quite surprised as I, NOT ONE TIME called to ask of progress and it worked in without concerns.  Is costly yet cheaper than the $1300 replacement fuel tank. $628, will be picking it up if happen to a Rainy day off this week. 
Getting there on Ford Roof, will post a later photo as the Channels have had the Seam Sealant removed and primed for today's activity of replacing that as was pulling away from the roof sheet allowing moisture to corrode the skin.  Body filler work is 99% completed on Cab and R Rr replacement Door.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 10:37am
This is Today, Seam Seal on roof, door repair much better, and a photo of the bottom on rear doors.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 10:42am
This was the door skin as Lifted the wrinkle and straightened that rolled corner.

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 1:27pm
I have body work on several cars/ trucks in the last 50 years.... No more.. I sure DO NOT miss sanding and preping putty to paint !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 1:47pm
Just takes patience, to which my own gets scarce once in a while.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic