This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

G cultivator school?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Italy Hill Produce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: G cultivator school?
    Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 1:46pm
Hey can anyone tell me what the different cultivator shanks are for? IE why they are different?

I currently have one cultivator setup that came with the G (not quite complete) but all 6 shanks have a coil spring on the rear of the cultivator (to compress when you hit a rock) naturally all are rusted solid..

the second set of cultivators i have are from Fred in PA, there are only 4 shanks, but all have coil springs on the back, though these are larger coils, by looks, I would say they might have a lower seat pressure and more travel than set 1) these all appear to be in good shape, ie not rusty.

the third set I have are from Andrew K, in I.N. and they appear to be a bit rusty, but they do not have ANY springs... this leads me to believe that they are for lighter soils? IE they do not appear to trip...

I am attempting to make 2 complete sets that function as they should for my 2 G's
One G is going to be shipped to Oregon where the soil is pretty heavy with clay, but has basically zero rocks, and has nice tilth.. I was thinking the cultivator without springs would go to O.R.

The other G is staying with me, we have pretty rocky/gravely soil here in NY.. So I figured the trip-able shanks would survive better here...  

Does the type of sweep matter between these three shank styles? are some earlier and some later?
Any info is much appreciated!
Jonathan
*freezing in NY*

G tractor and an All Crop 66
Also Kubota MX5100F and M9540HD12
Sponsored Links

Tony.Or View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony.Or Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 3:39pm
 You  better  check with  your  buyer  in Oregon!!  There are  places  around  here  that are almost  solid  river  rock !!  A  toy  light weight  cultivator  won`t last  long. 
  We  have  rocks  bigger  than your  head ,  they hold  heat  real good  and  crops  grow  all night .    Ask  singing  pig  about  G  cultivators  in  the  valley.          Tony
Andrew Kimbrough View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Kimbrough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 5:31pm
Jonathan,  

Glad to see you back on and see you got the cultivators safely.  Hope all was as you expected and the pick up went smoothly.  It worked out well that Doug was headed here for the holidays then back to Rochester.  
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 6:54pm
Part #
   308219  SPRING, small diam. (Used prior to May 1949)
   319760  SPRING, large diam. (Eff. May 1949)
   315017  SHANK,  pin break
   316550  PIN,  break (wood)

Send me your e-mail address by private massage and I'll e-mail a couple of pictures of the shanks from my parts book.

Dusty

Edited by Dusty MI - 14 Dec 2010 at 6:56pm
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
singingpig View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 7:41pm
Hi, Tony.

If the fellow in Oregon does have rock free clay, then the ones without the trips should work.  Most of the truck farmers out here use the Planet Jr cultivators on the G's.  I have a nice 4 row set but can't use them because of the rocks.

I have a gravelly loam that is quite rocky in spots.  So I built 2 springtooth harrows.  One uses off the shelf S-tines with crows feet sweeps,  the other uses some C-shanks I found in Tony's driveway with just points on the business end

This is the one with the s=tines.  2inch square tube toolbar.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 7:47pm
Here is the Planet Jr, sans the depth guage wheels.  Not the difference on the 2 outside units.

closeup of the knives.

These are very popular with truck farmers and onion farmers. 

Do you have a photo of the ones you have?  Are they the single row ACs?
Italy Hill Produce View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Italy Hill Produce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 7:50pm
COOL! Where in OR are you? It is going to my inlaw's farm in Gaston OR. They picked about 10 acres, and barely got on dump trailer full... My F.I.L. was so proud with how many rocks he picked up. I was like, yeah at my farm in NY I could have picked that many rocks in 1/4 acre...
If you have any G cultivators etc let me know and I'll let my inlaws know (once they have the G)
Thanks!
Jonathan
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 7:50pm
My other home built springtooth with the C-shanks I got from Tony.  I believe it is a 1 1/2 or 2 inch flat bar. The springtooth cults work great in the rocks

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by Italy Hill Produce Italy Hill Produce wrote:

COOL! Where in OR are you? It is going to my inlaw's farm in Gaston OR. They picked about 10 acres, and barely got on dump trailer full... My F.I.L. was so proud with how many rocks he picked up. I was like, yeah at my farm in NY I could have picked that many rocks in 1/4 acre...
If you have any G cultivators etc let me know and I'll let my inlaws know (once they have the G)
Thanks!
Jonathan

Tony and I are both down SE of Salem.  I know where Gaston is, NW of us towards the Coast Range.  What is he going to cultivate?

I'd probably let go of the Planet Jrs as they just won't work in my soil.  I've put  lot of work into them and they are in great shape.

What are you going to cultivate?  Beds of veg or single rows?  I like the crowfoot sweeps because they dig in very aggressively and they are narrow. My rows are on 12 inch centers.  1st cultivation usually when the seedlings have their 1st true leaves, I gow down the middle between the rows. 2nd cultivation in another 7-10 days I make 2 passes/bed. 1 hugging one side of the bed as close to the row as possible, turn around and hug the other side on the way back, trying to kick a little soil into the rows to cover the spaces between the seedlings but not the seedlings.

Edited by singingpig - 14 Dec 2010 at 8:02pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 8:21pm
When all works according to plan, it looks like this:

Salad greens...these came out very clean. The short ones in the front are the ones I have harvested recently

Beets...harvest sized with some lambsquarters in the rows, but plenty clean enough.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Italy Hill Produce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 9:45pm
lol those look gorgeous! You can tell it's OR by the raspberries...

The inlaws farm just about everything, lots of winter greens, garlic, all kinds of root veggies, pop corn, and corn for polenta.. Actually it would be shorter to list the things they don't grow.. They sell to several restaurants in Portland, and at one or two farmer's markets...
I would love more info on those cultivator setups...
Jonathan
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Italy Hill Produce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 9:49pm
They are in a part of the willamet (sp?) valley. Very few rocks.. If you are looking to part with the planet Jr setup let me know. Once I get the G out to them, They'll have a better idea of what sort of stuff they'll need.. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 9:53pm
They're doing the same thing I've done for 22 years, now.  I'm in the Willamette Valley, too.  Probably 90 minutes SW of them.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 9:56pm
Steve, Looks great as always. You put the effort in those veggies. I always like to see your pics.Tracy Martin
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Italy Hill Produce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 9:57pm
They've been at it for 13 or 14 years.
Whats your farm called?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Italy Hill Produce Italy Hill Produce wrote:

They've been at it for 13 or 14 years.
Whats your farm called?

Singing Pig
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Italy Hill Produce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 10:05pm
yeah... I got that after I posted that lol
Are you guys organic?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by Tracy Martin TN Tracy Martin TN wrote:

Steve, Looks great as always. You put the effort in those veggies. I always like to see your pics.Tracy Martin

Thanks, Tracy.  
Best wishes to you and your family this Chistmas season.

Edited by singingpig - 14 Dec 2010 at 10:06pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Italy Hill Produce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 10:10pm
nevermind.. googled your farm :)
Sounds cool! I bet you know my inlaws too.. Do you do any farmer's markets?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 10:14pm
I'm organic, always have been. Of course, you don't want to say that here because someone will come in and starting hating on you. lol

I only do restaurants..don't like farmers' markets.

What's you in laws farm name?
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 10:14pm
You have seen a mixture of cultivators that were made for the G.  The G was probably the most cultivatable (?) tractor made.  Even when it was introduced in 1948 we were shown the basic one row corn cultivator with several types of shovels from the wooden pin trip, the spring trip, and the spring tooth.  The single tool bar to which a myrid of disks and shanks could be attached to set up whatever cultivator or bed maker was wanted.  The double tool bar cultivator frame to which an multitude of shanks and teeth could be attached.  Then came the independ gang cultivators up to six rows of very close cultivation.  Some are shown above.  To this was added the ingunity of the customers or dealers to make cultivator attachments for very specific types of operation.  For example we used a single tool bar with two disks to make up beds with the inverted V to give them a slight crown on the rear furrowing bar.  The purchaser improved on our invention to make it even more efficient.
We used to say to customers show us what you want to cultivate.  We will find or make a clutivator to do an efficient job.
Hope this is some help.  I have Pop's 1960 price book which may be of some help since even though the G was not made at the time special runs of specific cultivators were always available when there was enough demand.
Good Luck!
Bill long
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 10:23pm
Please tell us more, Bill.

The independent gang types are like the Planet Jr I posted.  Very versatile and each unit floats up and down indepenently of the others to follow the contours of the ground better. Also, a rock in one row would only raise that unit and the others would be unaffected. 

Mine came with small disks that can be bolted on just in front of the knives  to act as a crop shield.  At the back of the units is another mount where people will put a sweep or a 5-tine cultivator  to really clean the row after the knives undercut.
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 11:32pm
I cultivate everything with this homemade cultivator....just can't seem to get the factory ones to work right.  I need to get a set made for my Blue G now! The Blue G has better clearance and is like sitting in an easy chair....

ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 11:42pm
The spring tooth with point or with separate shares are still available from places like Shoup (www.shoupparts.com) though theirs might be heavier than needed for the G.

Gerald J.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 12:00am
Bored with Hawaii yet Eldon?
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 12:03am
Yeah...I think we are both ready to go home tomorrow, 1000 miles on the rental car, no sign of Orange on the island...oh well, the way things rust over here it probably wouldn't have looked good anyway.....
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Italy Hill Produce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 6:22am
LOL this is an awesome thread! definitely needs more pictures!
I know what you mean about mentioning Organic, My in-laws are Ayres Creek Farm, if you've been a part of any of the ODA humbug about food safety, you've met my F.I.L. he doesn't bite his tongue about ridiculous legislation.

I grew up on my family's grape farm and winery, Trust me, grape growers get picked on just as much as organic farmers by the "real farmers." It is funny, some people consider themselves "real farmers" because they use big tractors, tons of pesticides, and can't operate in the black without government subsidies. I went to school, FFA and 2 colleges with people like that, It doesn't bother me that I can make a decent living on only a handful of acres without the help of the federal government and monsanto.
jonathan
contrary_farmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote contrary_farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 6:46am
Posted these earlier this summer.  Dual Allis toolbar w/ Planet Jr. disks and knives.  The disks and knives attach to the 90 degree shanks.  The ducksfoot sweep would need a straight shank (which I am looking for).

contrary_farmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote contrary_farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 6:55am

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Italy Hill Produce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 6:57am
I'd love to find one (or two) of those dual allis tool bars!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic