This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Guy debating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 7:58am
Well, she looks good! I'm curious about the cap on the side of the hood. What's it for? I've never seen it before. Good looking Farmall too, did you buy both tractors? The brakes on my B are almost non-existent as well. That's a future project, one of thousands I need to get to.
Sponsored Links

brewvet View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 8:02am
Thanks for the reply. Yep got a complete set of cultivators and mounting hardware which look like they have never been used.

It looks like the brakes are just worn out, I tried adjusting them and can get a little pedal on the left side but nothing on the right. So it sounds like the bands are easy to replace, the drums are a lot more work.

I will order some new bands, can you buy these at NAPA or would I need to get from Steiner, etc?

Thanks
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 8:35am
That tank on the right side of the hood is the gasoline tank. It's a Kerosene B. The engine serial number should have a "K" stamped as the final digit, unless it's had a block swap. 
brewvet View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 9:20am
Originally posted by Ranse Ranse wrote:

Well, she looks good! I'm curious about the cap on the side of the hood. What's it for? I've never seen it before. Good looking Farmall too, did you buy both tractors? The brakes on my B are almost non-existent as well. That's a future project, one of thousands I need to get to.

The Farmall I actually took in trade. 
brewvet View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 9:24am
Originally posted by CrestonM CrestonM wrote:

That tank on the right side of the hood is the gasoline tank. It's a Kerosene B. The engine serial number should have a "K" stamped as the final digit, unless it's had a block swap. 

Interesting, can you school me on the Kersoene models, were these dual fuel? 

There is a separate number on the block starting with a 'K', Looks to be 'K 108'. 

The other number stamped appears to be 5 digits starting with an 'AM'. 

CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 10:36am
I don't know a whole lot about them, other than yes they are dual fuel. You're supposed to start the engine on gas from the little tank, then switch over to kerosene (main tank) when the engine warms up. Unless it's been overhauled and gas pistons installed, the pistons will be a bit shorter and have a dish in them (kinda like an Allis power crater piston, but not as extreme). On a good day you'll have about 90 lbs compression, which I've heard is good for a kerosene engine. I put taller gas pistons in mine (since I only run gas) and raised the compression to 115 lbs, and I can tell there's a little power increase. 

The engine serial number is located to the rear of the air cleaner, where the engine bolts to the torque tube. May be kinda hard to read, but should start with either a "BE" (most likely) or "CE" and end with a "K". The "AM" number on the right side of the block you saw is the casting number. the last two digits of that string of numbers indicates the year it was cast, but it's still a code. It will be a number like 12, or 13, etc. I can't remember what numbers line up to which years, but someone here will know.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 6:30pm
Very nice tractor there!  I think you did great!  Enjoy. 
1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 4:14am
couldn't decide on an Allis or a Farmall so ya bought both...lol.  nice machine.  when I pulled the final drives on my d14 (have to pull them to work on brakes on a d14) I just chained them to the trusses of the garage roof. when putting them back on I used a heavy duty ratched strap on the axle tube close to the end and one on the other side close to the final drive.  that way if I needed to raise or lower it a little to get it to line up I could just give it a couple cranks on the ratchet strap.  
Just cause it's orange don't make it a tractor, there's only one..Allis Chalmers
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 6:51am
There's a guy screen name "Rick" on here. He does an excellent job relining brake bands and clutch discs for a great price. I bought one clutch from him. If I was doing a brake job, I would talk to Rick. Look through the classified section. Every few weeks he bumps his "For sale" back to the top.
BEK View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 7:14am
If the brake drums are in good shape and you only replace the brake bands, make sure you clean out the housing really good.  This makes getting the new band in a lot easier.

I made a tool from a piece of flat stock to scrape all the junk out of the housing.  There's a a hole in the bottom of the housing where debris can fall out.  Compressed air or a shop vac will help.

BEK View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 7:20am
A sample of brake housing junk.  Here's what came out of mine.  One side, but both sides were trashed.

BEK View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 7:24am
New brake bands from Steiner.

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 7:33am
hmmm.. I didn't see a 'mouse house' in the picture of 'what's inside' ,hehehe...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 9:23am
Careful cleaning out the housings. Those old brakes most likely contain asbestos. Nice tractors!
In Search Of: 1958 Allis Chalmers D17 Diesel serial #9643D
brewvet View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 1:33pm
Thanks for all the comments and advice everyone, now to order some parts and get to work.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic