URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=147839
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 1:29am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New Guy debating
Posted By: brewvet
Subject: New Guy debating
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 12:21pm
Greetings All,

I am debating between several of the smaller tractors available. Looking at something like a Farmall Cub or Allis Chambers B. I want a small tractor for a few reasons, leveling a gravel driveway, possibly plowing a small garden area (1 acre or less) and just general fun (perhaps getting into some of the tractor parades, etc). 

I have been looking at a B and Cub on ebay, looks like the prices are all over the place ($1500 to 4000+), also seems like not much for sale near me (North Georgia). Looking for any suggestions,or comments between these two types for my needs. Also if anyone knows of a better place to find one for sale I am all ears. Any gotchas to look out for? I did some research (ask about oil leaks, smoking when running, condition of tires). 

Any help/pointers would be most welcome. I do like the looks of the B model better then the cub. 

Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: Dusty MI
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 12:40pm
Horse power wise the IHC Cub and the A.C. G are in the same range.
The A.C. B & C are the same engine.

Dusty

-------------
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"

Posted By: Brian G. NY
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 1:14pm
I think Dusty means the B and C are both the same HP but more than either the Cub or G.
I think most on here would agree the B (or C) is the better choice for the kind of work you want to do. They work really well with a belly mount lawn mower and they pull a 12" (or even 14")  single bottom plow with ease. They seem to plow snow well with a little weight and chains. There are several videos on You-Tube showing them doing all this.

Posted By: HoughMade
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 1:18pm
The A.C. B is more comparable to a Farmall A in size and horsepower.  The Cub is about half the power.  Any of them would do what you seem to want them for.  You're going to find B partisans here, I suppose.  That's what I have.  In that regard, they are solid, simple little tractors where all the parts are available and not too expensive.  You'll probably find it easier to find Farmall branded implements, but to me, that's not a make or break.

I like orange....red is way to common, but that's me.  

-------------
1951 B

Posted By: CrestonM
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 1:41pm
I like both tractors, but think the B would be better for actually using. Culti-vision is nice on the cub, but I've heard a lot of guys say they are under powered. The bench seat on the B is nice, allowing you to sit to one side or the other, making cultivating easier. 
If you'll be doing plowing, a B is a dream. It's a snorty little devil if you have it running good! They made a mounted 1 bottom plow for it, but I pull an Oliver 2 bottom trip plow with mine. In clay soil it gives a work out, but I never added any weight to the tractor until 2016, after I acquired a set of rear wheel weights. They help some when getting in really tough ground. Always runs out of weight before it runs out of power. 
The PTO is also a nice feature. A Cub could have PTO, but without the adapter I believe it turns 1,800 RPM, and runs backwards of most other tractors. 
If you get to wanting to do more work with modern implements, 3 point hitch kits are available. 

If it were me, I'd choose the B. More power, heavier built, and I just like their "center line design" better. 

Posted By: jaybmiller
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 1:56pm
I'd rather have a CA than a B as it has  a 4 speed transmission and a tad bit more power. Also I think the PTO is 'standard' 1 3/8, think the B was smaller,though a lot were upgraded ?

-------------
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 2:14pm
lots of good information so far, thanks. Wondering if anyone could comment on this one on Ebay I am debating on:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-ALLIS-CHARMER-TRACTOR/222762182973?_trkparms=pageci%3A812cef42-180c-11e8-9413-74dbd180c36a%7Cparentrq%3Abf23fc131610aa1a2da29af5fffc6fd8%7Ciid%3A1&_trksid=p2481888.c100678.m3607" rel="nofollow - https://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-ALLIS-CHARMER-TRACTOR/222762182973?_trkparms=pageci%3A812cef42-180c-11e8-9413-74dbd180c36a%7Cparentrq%3Abf23fc131610aa1a2da29af5fffc6fd8%7Ciid%3A1&_trksid=p2481888.c100678.m3607

Seems pretty nice, from the pictures at least. One question that has me stumped though, what is the box next to the left front wheel? Thought it might be some type of power steering, but in researching this wasn't offered on these. 

Any comments good or bad on this one? 

Thanks Again...

Posted By: sparky
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 2:29pm
I think you are referring to the front axle weight.

-------------
It's the color tractor my grandpa had!

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 2:30pm
Hmm..OK makes sense, haven't seen this on other tractors I have been looking at. 

Posted By: mdm1
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 2:50pm
Another Charmer tractor. My Dad has a cub that he mows with. Cute little tractors but underpowered. I really would not mind having it though as a toy. Around here they seem to be over priced but in demand. I would lean towards a B if you want something to work some. People more knowledgable will chime in. But keep in mind this an Orange forum so we are prejudiced! 

-------------
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!

Posted By: cdon_FL
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 2:59pm
I had a cub.  Sold it soon after trying to use it for real work.  Cute little machines but grossly underpowered.  Even when new.

Unusably underpowered in my opinion.

-------------
Chris in NE Florida

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 3:05pm
Farmall WAY WAY more popular in the southeast than Allis Chalmers.   That may be a factor for you at some point when you are looking for parts or accessories to fit on the tractor you have.

My 92 year old father in law has a Farmall Super C in Cairo GA.  He would sell it I am sure.  Is now too tall for him to climb up on easily.  Well loved, if you know what I mean, but still a worker.  Plenty of power.  Unlike the Cubs.

-------------
Chris in NE Florida

Posted By: Bob D. (La)
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 3:11pm
If you are talking about the box actually mounted on the front axle, it is front weights. Hard to say condition without hearing it run and driving it. Paint looks good as well as sheet metal but again needs to be looked at close up. New tires as well as the front weights might make it an OK value but at 2500 seems somewhat high. Would be good to show up to look at it without being announced to verify over all condition and see how it starts and runs without being started ahead of time. Sometimes new paint is used to cover a multitude of sins.

-------------
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Bob D. (La) Bob D. (La) wrote:

Sometimes new paint is used to cover a multitude of sins.
Very true...

Posted By: dt1050
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 3:31pm
I believe the pto on the cub runs the opposite direction for most equipment

-------------
Just cause it's orange don't make it a tractor, there's only one..Allis Chalmers

Posted By: BEK
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 4:05pm
The B or C is a good tractor.

Search craigslist throughout North and South Carolina.  The B's and C's were wildly popular in this region on the family tobacco farms.  They turn up for sale quite often.  Along with the little Farmall's that were also popular.

I'd sell you mine, but I have more money and effort into it than it's worth.  LOL  Good luck with the hunt.  Brad

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by BEK BEK wrote:

The B or C is a good tractor.

Search craigslist throughout North and South Carolina.  The B's and C's were wildly popular in this region on the family tobacco farms.  They turn up for sale quite often.  Along with the little Farmall's that were also popular.

I'd sell you mine, but I have more money and effort into it than it's worth.  LOL  Good luck with the hunt.  Brad

Thanks, I have been digging through Craigslist but with little luck. Man that's a beautiful tractor you got there.

Posted By: davh
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 4:27pm
Lots of great info on this forum for the Little Allis tractors.  The one main thing I look for is the condition of the rubber.  Can get into your pocketbook if they have to be replaced soon. No doubt more tractor for the money than the little cubs.

Posted By: LeonR2013
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 5:19pm
If I had my druthers I'd get the CA. But looking at the two of them, the B with the new tires all the way around would have a powerful attraction to me. Anyone who would put that much rubber on the tractor has to have a good base to start with and usually tires are the last thing to put on and he didn't spare the coin. So while I might prefer the CA the B could be the better buy. They did build a 16" plow for the B and other implements are available too. They also just sip the gas, much less that the Farmall. The B with a Woods belly mower will mow with anything. But, it's your green stamps so it's ultimately your decision.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 5:54pm
Allis B in Canton GA, Atlanta craigslist.  Not mine.  They're out there.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/grd/d/tractor/6486123135.html" rel="nofollow - https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/grd/d/tractor/6486123135.html

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by BEK BEK wrote:

Allis B in Canton GA, Atlanta craigslist.  Not mine.  They're out there.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/grd/d/tractor/6486123135.html" rel="nofollow - https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/grd/d/tractor/6486123135.html

Thanks I saw that one and called him, it was already sold.

Posted By: Hubnut
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 6:06pm
I agree with BEK.  There are WAY more Bs and Cs in the North GA, SC, NC region than here in FL.  Indeed, the snap coupler Bs were very popular in this region.  I've been watching several Bs near Charlotte and that one that BEK showed is very nice and fairly priced in my opinion.  Costs me 3-4 grand (including tractor purchase price) to properly restore a B and it'll never be worth more than $2500 on it's best day.  Sad, but true.  I've owned cubs too (lowboys).  Twice.  Both times I found working on them a pain in the rear. and I sold them.  The AC B is easy to work on and parts are readily available.  Here are my Bs and Cs shoehorned into my garage.  Get the B.

-------------
1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H

Posted By: shameless dude
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 6:36pm
dt....I think that was just on the cub lo-boy the PTO was like that, I could be wrong tho.

Posted By: Tireboy
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 6:52pm
Go to Gathering of the Orange April 26-29 in Gray Tennessee there will be plenty of little AC's to look at and probably some for sale.

Posted By: drobCA
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 7:17pm
do you have any mechanical experience?
would tinkering with it be part of the fun?
seems to me once a B gets running right, they require very little maintenance... but you can fuss around a little if so inclined.
and it is unbelievable the support you will get from the guys on this forum!!!

I agree that the all new rubber is a big bonus and probably a good indicator of the general condition.  sure looks like a sweetheart B to me.

-------------
3 Ford 8N's I loan to neighbors, but the '52CA, '41B and little B1 I do not.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 7:37pm
The tire thing is correct. I bought new rear tires for the B I bought last fall and doubled my cost in the tractor! And I still need tires for the front!

-------------
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by drobCA drobCA wrote:

do you have any mechanical experience?
would tinkering with it be part of the fun?
seems to me once a B gets running right, they require very little maintenance... but you can fuss around a little if so inclined.
and it is unbelievable the support you will get from the guys on this forum!!!

I agree that the all new rubber is a big bonus and probably a good indicator of the general condition.  sure looks like a sweetheart B to me.

Yep, I am mechanically inclined. I have gotten greasy more then once, mostly on muscle cars. Looks to me these would be much easier to work on.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 7:53pm
ohhhhh, yes they are!
my fave story is that I pulled a starter, replaced the brushes and put it back on in 10 minutes without hurrying.
also without crawling under or getting road grit falling in my eyes.
you're gonna love it!

-------------

Posted By: JohnCO
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 9:31pm
If you are comparing tractors a B or C is much closer to an IHC A.  An Allis CA would be similar in many ways to an IHC Super A.  I have had both and unless you are using the tractor for cultivating, the AC is better all around.  The Cub has  around 60 cu in flat head, much like an AC G, both the bigger tractors have overhead valve engines around 125 cu in.  The Cub is really just a large garden tractor, where the others will do real work.  Usually the AC's bring a bit less money then IHC's but in some parts of the country maybe not much difference.  Being this is an AC site and I'm and AC guy, it's pretty obvious which way I lean....

-------------
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 4:15am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

dt....I think that was just on the cub lo-boy the PTO was like that, I could be wrong tho.

I went to look at a cub and the fella told me the pto turned ccw?  I also could be wrong, I mean ask the old lady, I'm always wrongLOL

-------------
Just cause it's orange don't make it a tractor, there's only one..Allis Chalmers

Posted By: thendrix
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 5:49am
Hey brewvet, welcome to the forum. I'm in Ball Ground and I have a CA I'll sell if you're interested. PM me if you're interested

-------------
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan

Posted By: DiyDave
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 6:15am
My experience with the IH Cub, is that it don't have enough power to pull a sick Censored offn a piss pot... Had one that someone wanted to sell, up here one summer. It was a late model yellow one, wif a 60" 3 blade deck under it.  Didn't have enough power to run that deck, downhill, in low gear, without overheating, for 1000 feet of 4"grass.  Even the lowlyist AC B would run a 5' 3 blade mower, LOL!WinkWink

Posted By: newman7800
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 7:02am
I have owned a 1985 AC 5020 for 17 years and it has been an excellent tractor.

I now have it listed for sale on craigslist in jackson, mi. 1300 hours and excellent condition. 

Posted By: kenbob
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 9:38am
If you intend to do any tractor rides, the CA gives you more options.  Most rides i have been on like to go 10mph or better.  That leaves only the CA.  Some clubs have rides for slower tractors.   You have to look at the overall size of the tractor in relation to power.  The AC are small and handy.  The CA comes in as just a little bigger than a/b Farmall but have almost as much power as the H if I read test info right.  B and C are good tractors but with one less gear and the CA has spin out rims which are good if you are doing a lot of different things with the tractor.   For me it was the value of the CA in relationship to the other tractors that caused me to buy it for my one time project.   I have mine for sale but it is a good distance from you.  There was another listed and is still in the ads but he pulled it to fix the rim. It is pretty close to you compared to mine. 

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 9:52am
a gotcha:  Some Ca's have live power, which is handy if you are using pto alot. It also has a clutch that can give you trouble.  Probably will work good until you try to plow and then it will slip. In my case, it seems the clutch was slick from oil that leaked out the transmission (it was overfilled at some point).  Supposedly you have to take the right axle off to fix those. I sprayed through the  little inspection hole with brake cleaner to try and degrease the clutch.  It isn't supposed to work, but I went out and plowed in the same patch as I did last year, 30year fescue over hard clay, and it didn't slip at all.  That is probably one of the biggest things to watch on buying a CA.  Not sure if applying the left brake will cause the clutch to slip.  If it does, you probably have a problem bigger than what can be fixed with brake cleaner.   

Posted By: Ted J
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 12:20pm
WELCOME to the best forum on the internet.
Don't be in a hurry!!!
I used a C for cutting grass and all the while looking for a CA.  So now the C is going to get some deserved time off and a rebuild of the left rear bearings.
DON'T BE IN A HURRY, take your time looking and check it over good when you decide to drop the axe.
I would NOT buy off of epay, most of em are over priced anyway.  Check around you, there's lots of Allis guys near you.

-------------
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17

Posted By: LeonR2013
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 1:08pm
Back in the day I did a lot of hard work with a C. It was a tough little booger. Plowed with 2/12". Pulled a 6' Kelly Ryan that would go to the boxing. Two row cultivator, did beautiful work. Two row mounted planter (had to weight the front). Did about 200 acres of crop, so it got a good work out.

Posted By: Pat the Plumber CIL
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 7:38pm
Cub does not have a water pump . B , C or CA are far superior machines

-------------
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 10:04pm
Re-read my own post.  To be clear, the clutch slipping I refer to all has to do with the pto clutch...NOT the regular clutch between the engine/tranny.   If you are not familiar with the tractor I may have confused you. Sorry

Posted By: Ranse
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 10:55pm
If you are buying a tractor to use, then I suggest a more modern tractor. I have a B and I like the little tractor. That being said, there is not a lot I can do with it. Original equipment is hard to find, so I'm limited to pull type equipment. No live power and hydraulics is also disadvantage. A 3pt conversion I'm sure would solve some of those problems, but it won't be as user friendly as a later model.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 11:35pm
Ranse has a good point. I know the pto on my CA is a good bit higher then on similar sized modern tractors. Seems it would make it kinda hard to run mounted pto driven implements.

-------------
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 5:23am
Thanks for all the replies and advice, lots of good information here. Great to be part of a responsive community such as this. I have now ruled out the cub, and made an offer on a b model. But I have also had some people contact me regarding a Farmall a model. Seems similar to the b, but if anyone is familiar with these would live to hear it.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 6:22am
Knowledge is power ! So if you can, take your time, do your homework...
I'm kinda amazed no one has said to consider a Ford 8N. It has similar power to a 'B', has a 4 speed tranny and 3pt hitch. I had both it and a 'CA' and like them equally. Similar in being small, compact, tight turning, easy to work on. Not having the muffler 'stuck in my face' was nice. Now there's gotta be a couple of them near you.TONS of parts are easily available.
Don't consider a 9N or 2N though. They're only 3 speeds and the left brake is on the left side next to clutch pedal ! Dang silly if you ask me( yeah, I had a 2N as well..)
NOT trying to start a 'tractor war', just pointing out a possible 3rd contender.
Jay

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 6:57am
I don't mean to discourage you. If you are as fond of the B as we are, then you will be willing to put up with its short comings. Other old tractors have some of the same short comings. I believe the even the 8N doesn't have live power. Jaybmiller does make a good point about the muffler. I've broke off a lot of mufflers in my time mowing under low tree limbs. The Farmalls from the Cub to the 140 are designed for cultivating. In my opinion that's about all they are good for. But again, they can be use for other chores and you can work around their short comings as well.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 7:39am
If you're looking to grow a garden then an 8n would do great. If you want to do more then work a garden then I would steer clear of an 8n because of how lite they are and due to the terrain you're probably dealing with. As far as I know there's very little flat ground in blue ridge. If I were looking for something like an 8n I would go for a Ferguson TO20, TO30, etc. Looks just like an 8n but is a better tractor

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 8:04am
Ranse is correct, 8N does not have live PTO, which means only a foot clutch and when you step on it even slightly, the hydraulics shut down which I am discovering to be quite inconvenient.
The reputation on the 8N is:
"Yes, replacement parts are available & cheap... and it's a good thing they are, 'cuz you'll need them."

I predict you will enjoy a B or be delighted with a CA.  and not regret either choice.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 8:27am
I have seen a lot of the Ford's for sale around, but honestly the looks don't thrill me. I want a tractor for more then just gardening and just like the looks of the older tractors such as the ACs, or Farmalls. Nothing against Ford's I have an F150 which I love.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 8:39am
I think all tractors have goods and bads. Take all the info you get, digest it, apply it to your situation and buy something you like! Heck if you don't like it buy a different one and one and it all starts!

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 9:36am
GREAT another Ford lover !! mine's a '97, 75K on it, reg cab,sht box,XLT.
as mdm says, look around, compare,see what the 'locals' use, ask why.
be sure to test drive it before you buy to see if BOTH brakes work, 3pt goes up and down, PTO spins,engine OK, etc.
Jay

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 10:02am
Not to muddy the waters, but if money were no object, it would seem a 55 or 550 Oliver would have everything you need, but you can buy 2 fords and maybe 3 ca's for what they seem to bring. 

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 10:33am
Farmall A is a fine small tractor.  parts plentiful both new and used.  I looked very closely at a Farmall A just before I bought my current AC CA.
SUPER A, if memory serves, has hydraulics.  Regular A does not.

-------------
Chris in NE Florida

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 11:06am
I wasn't going to mention it, since the general consensus is usually "anti-8N" around here, but since Jay brought it up...I'd recommend it over a B any day! 
When I got my 8N, it was "just an old tractor". I was 15 at the time, and had already had my B for 4 years. I never could do much with it, except plow with my Oliver 2-12 and mow with the belly sickle mower. I didn't figure the 8N would be able to do much either. 
Boy, was I wrong!
I got it running after sitting for 30 years, put a clutch in it, and hooked it to a finish mower. I was a little nervous, thinking, "Is a 66 year old tractor going to actually run this machine and mow the yard??" I made a pass around, and was grinning ear to ear. I couldn't believe I finally had an old tractor that would do the work of a new tractor! Since then, I've continued to use the 8N for everything around the place. We have a newer Deere 4720, and I never use that thing if I can keep from it. Only time I use it now is for occasional loader work. The 8N does everything that 4720 did before, with no sweat. 6' mower in 4' grass/brush? No problem. 7' angle blade? Drag a ton of dirt around with that heavy beast, and go back for more. 

Like was stated, the B is a swell tractor, but you can't do much with it, in terms of modern equipment, unless you convert to 3pt. The 8N was made to work with a 3pt, and while you can convert a B, the ends of the arms will be positioned very far back (more so than a factory 3pt tractor). You are also not likely to have a sway lock system with a conversion kit. This means every time you've got the 3pt mower or disc or anything else heavy attached, when you round a corner doing anything faster than a creep, the implement swings hard to one side or the other, jarring the tractor, and can bend or break some stuff (don't ask how I know) The 8N has a remarkably superior system for locking the implement...easy to use, and I love it. (although some fail to recognize it) The 8N also has draft control, which carries out the same operation as "traction booster" on a CA/WD/WD45. You can adjust the sensitivity so when you're plowing and hit a tough spot, the plow will bump up just a hair, and allow you to keep going without spinning tires. Can't get that with a B, and there's been a lot of times I wish mine had that feature, which is why if I'm plowing anything bigger than my garden, I'll use the 8N. Some will say "Yeah, but you're only plowing 3" deep with the 8N when you're using draft control"...this again is not true. I've plowed our clay soil a good 12" deep before using a Ferguson 2-14 plow, with no added weight. Position control is obtained at the flip of a lever, and will now hold your equipment at whatever height you want. This is basically for anything other than a plow. The B basically has this, and only this. The comment about the 8N being only good for garden work made me laugh...I've used mine for everything around here, except garden work. I leave that to the Allis G....
The lift system of an 8N really is something to be desired. You can't rival it with a B/C. CA is getting closer I guess.
With the 8N transmission, you get the speeds of the B, plus a road gear. Not just a harrowing/rotary hoeing gear. This would be very handy on tractor rides/parades. To make my 8N keep pace with the B on the road, I have to run it at low idle in road gear. Running wide open, the 8N cruises about the same speed as a Farmall M) 
I used to use my B in parades, but have been using my 8N lately because it goes slower when throttled all the way down. With the B, I was having to clutch too much, and I don't like excessive throw out bearing wear. If you get real ambitious, Sherman aux trannys are available for the Fords. A step down, step up, and combo unit are all available. 

The 8N really isn't that light on the front....I don't know where everyone gets that opinion at...maybe they're trying to use it like it's a D17, I don't know... the B on the other hand is light on the front (not too bad most of the time) but get a 3pt, and you really would need the tires filled, side engine weights, and perhaps the wishbone front axle weight (if the B you get is equipped with the wishbone style front axle). 
To me, the 8N steers easier, the mechanical expanding drum brakes will stop you on a dime, anytime (not to mention you can do a start-to-finish brake R&R in an afternoon, with no dastardly pins to pull/break off/curse at, etc.)

And yes, parts are everywhere. I like that. Granted most of the TSC stuff isn't top quality, but it will get you by in a pinch (never had to make a parts run, though). I "restored" (wasn't a full-on restoration) my 8N in 2013/4, and I've never had to do much work to it since. I adjusted the brake shoes this summer, and that's about it. Go over it with a fine tooth comb and fix anything suspicious before it breaks, and you'll have a heck of a reliable work tractor. Most of the "You'll need all those parts" comes from tractors that have sat for years or have had poor preventive maintenance in the past, so yes, those machines will need those parts. But for the most part, take care of the 8N and it will take care of you. Yes, freak things can happen, but that's true of any tractor. 

As to the N's not having live hydraulics or PTO...the B doesn't have them either. They're not necessary, even for things like combining. You just learn how to adjust your driving to accommodate for things like a slug running through the machine (be it a combine or baler. Speaking of baler...ever seen a B pull a baler, power a thrower, and pull the bale wagon behind it? I haven't.) 
As far as no live hydraulics, the 8N has a very fast system. Here's what I've noticed....if I have an implement on the ground, foot on the clutch, transmission in gear, and lift lever raised....just as soon as I ease off the clutch and the tractor has moved about 3", the lift has raised the implement about 6". So really, it's not that bad. 

I know everything I've typed will probably either not be read, or dismissed as "fake news", but I'll stand by my 8N any day. It's a true work horse for small jobs around the farm, and to me, a B just can't quite compare. (I do love my B though!)

So, if you want a tractor to get work done with, I recommend the 8N. Incredibly more versatile, at least for what I do. If you want the garden tractor/parade tractor, I recommend the B. Although I don't think it would work on tractor rides, due to it's lack of a fast road gear. 

Geez, my reputation around here probably just went down the drain, thanks to what I've said about a *gasp*..."ferd", but I stand by every word. Big smile

Posted By: chaskaduo
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 11:58am
Get a Rope !!!!

-------------
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp

Posted By: FloydKS
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 12:39pm
In-laws of my sibling had Ferd and they never complained...

-------------
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 12:51pm
Creston input is highly valued on any subject here, especially Gleaners (which I don't have) and 8N's which I am just getting into.
I am hopefully in the final stages of overcoming disuse and poor maintenance from prior owners problems (as mentioned) and am very encouraged by your praise of the lift system, which is my main issue now.
I will be replacing the pressure relief valve which arrived recently and research says that is likely to fix the delayed and sluggish response.
a cleanup & fresh fluid improved it from non-functional to at least operational.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 1:32pm
Thanks for the kind words, drobCA. 
Yes, a relief valve will probably fix your issue. I'm not sure what size wrench is needed, but it will have to be a stub wrench, due to working inside the tractor. Also have to drain the fluid I think. On my 8N, sometimes the lift would freeze up/delay, as in, if you pushed the lift lever down, the load would stay up. I'd have to move the handle up and down a few times, and then it would drop. New relief valve will fix that.
Once you get it operating, it should hold a 2-bottom off the ground overnight. If you hook onto something heavy (disc or brushhog), lift it, then kill the engine and hear a rhythmic "click" noise (It may be fast, or really slow "click") the lift piston is worn and needs replaced. That's an afternoon job, is pretty easy, and fairly cheap. 
But...unless it just bugs the heck out of you, you could probably leave it alone. The lift has ample volume to compensate for some major leaks, without hampering field performance. 
As far as cleaning, I filled mine with diesel and ran the lift up and down a few times. That got some sludge out of the internals of the system, but it's a good idea to clean around the pump by hand, especially the intake area. Just take the right side round cover off (the dipstick goes through it) and clean the area out by hand as best you can, if there's 60 years of sludge like mine had. 

A lift in good condition that is properly adjusted can do some wondrous things. In this photo there is no weight added to the tractor. The hitching point is about 4.5 feet from the ends of the lift arms, yet it lifts this 720 lb Allis disc with ease. I'll admit, that did make it light on the front, but I think filling the tires would have helped that quite a bit. 

Posted By: DaveKamp
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 1:54pm
Hee hee... As my buddy to the south sais:  The N-series Ford on his farm never breaks... because it' aint' strong enough to do any REAL work...

I'll agree that the Ferguson TO is the way to go if the Ford N format is your choice.

Comparing a Farmall Cub to an Allis B?  No contest- totally different animals.  The Allis B has a hundred-plus CI overhead valve engine with forced liquid cooling.  The Cub has a 60ci flathead with 'thermosyphon' cooling...  The closest red tractor to the B/C/CA is the Farmall A/SuperA. series.

But here's the honest-to-God truth:  Don't debate yourself- you'll waste precious hours of your life, and in the end, you'll always wish you hadn't.  Just go buy one of everything, work on 'em all, love them for what they are, and accept them for what they're not.  We all have rotten tires to contend with during our lifetime, don't let it worry you.  The having antique tractors in your life, is power to your soul.  It fortifies your Chi, and makes you a better, more complete, more interesting person... and you don't even have to drink Dos Eques!  (but you can [or bottle] if you want)

-------------
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

Just go buy one of everything, work on 'em all, love them for what they are, and accept them for what they're not.  We all have rotten tires to contend with during our lifetime, don't let it worry you.  The having antique tractors in your life, is power to your soul.  It fortifies your Chi, and makes you a better, more complete, more interesting person... and you don't even have to drink Dos Eques!  (but you can [or bottle] if you want)
Well said! Lol

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 3:08pm
Well said, Kreston and Dave M.

I bought my CA mainly because I wanted to run a belly mower.  And I wanted a tractor  more clearly old, and with a little more "old school cool" than the 1966 David Brown diesel that I already had. 

My CA has a three point conversion kit on the back of it, but has never been satisfactory to me because it is a make-do.  Functional but not comfortable.  No sway control is my biggest gripe.

BUT

For most any kind of hobby farm, or real farm, or land maintenance WORK (vs parades or belly mowing) a standard / universal three point lift is essential, IMO.  8N has that and it was built in from the beginning.  Fergueson designed it, Henry Ford stole it, they fought about it in court, and the ensuing "agreement" they came to allowed Ford to make it universal and standard around the world.

The pages your are reading are an allis forum.  And we have lots of fun sharing information to keep the old tractors going.  There is some pride of color here.  I like having a brand specific formum,  but none of us really drank any kool aid when we signed up.  We really do like all the old tractors.  And we are all sad they there are not more of them around, being restored, paraded, or worked.  Of any brand or model.

My belly mower equiped CA is what I had hoped it would be.  My father in law has a B with a belly mower (a tractor I bought from Hubnut and gave to him) so I am not anti Allis.

But....

If I was going to have only 1 tractor, it would not be an old Allis, even an Allis with a 3 point conversion.  My one tractor (for getting work done) would probably be a diesel, but it would for sure be one that had standard 3 point hitch and standard rotation 550 PTO.

My david brown 770A fits that bill (but parts now are hard to find).  Massey 135 or TO 30 etc would fit.  The Fordson Dexta (that I grew up on and was passed from my grandfather to my father and that I am still waiting to receive and restore) would fit.  And an 8N would fit.  Many others, too.

Bottom line....Come on in, the water's fine. 

None of the old ones will break your bank.  And getting one certainly will not prevent you from getting a replacement or even additional tractors down the road if the first one you buy doesn't turn out to touch all your bases.

-------------
Chris in NE Florida

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 3:14pm
Well I jumped in with both feet, offer accepted on the Allis B. I have a video of it starting up, real pretty tractor and runs great. Is it possible to post a video here?

Super excited

Posted By: Dave(inMA)
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 3:31pm
Well. good for you, brewvet! And welcome to the AC world and this forum. Hope you have a grand time with your B. Yes, you can post a video. Start by clicking on the "Post Reply" button below the last post. This opens a box with more options than the post box at the bottom of the page....one of which allows you to post a video.

-------------
WC, CA, D14, WD45

Posted By: Gerald J.
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 5:34pm
The only B operating manual I have is for a military B.
http://geraldj.networkiowa.com/Trees/BMilitary.pdf" rel="nofollow - http://geraldj.networkiowa.com/Trees/BMilitary.pdf
I do have a shop manual on line:
http://geraldj.networkiowa.com/Trees/Allis-Chalmers-G-B-C-CA-Service.pdf" rel="nofollow - http://geraldj.networkiowa.com/Trees/Allis-Chalmers-G-B-C-CA-Service.pdf

Years a go I had an 8N. I found it a useless toy. Too light for real work. I tried garden plowing one year and when the plow pulled hard the 3 point hitch took weight off the rear tires and they tilled more dirt than the plow turned over.

With the 8N PTO driven by the intermediate shaft in the transmission it is crucial to have an overrunning clutch on the PTO drive so the spinning inertia of the PTO driven mower doesn't drive the tractor even with the transmission clutch pushed or the engine stopped.

I was very happy to see it leave.

Gerald J.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 5:46pm
yahoo!!! we are all eager to see the video and your ear to ear grin.

and btw - you won't have to sleep next to it tonight.  it won't run away.  Wink

-------------

Posted By: DiyDave
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Dave(inMA) Dave(inMA) wrote:

Well. good for you, brewvet! And welcome to the AC world and this forum. Hope you have a grand time with your B. Yes, you can post a video. Start by clicking on the "Post Reply" button below the last post. This opens a box with more options than the post box at the bottom of the page....one of which allows you to post a video.

8th symbol from left, the filmstrip is the icon you need to click on, on the long form post reply button.  Or click on post options, Quote, and it'll take you to the long form, too...Thumbs Up

Posted By: Hubert (Ga)engine7
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 6:29pm
Matthew, welcome to the Forum and congratulations on your purchase of a B. Tyler's CA would have been a good choice also. You will be able to get plenty of advice and guidance on here. I grew up on a B and a WD and love them both. As said earlier the Cub is just a toy. Creston is fond of the 8N but I think Rachel (story from sometime back) has been whispering things in his ear that he shouldn't listen to.
BTW would you happen to have any relatives up around Jacksboro or Dogtrot, TN?

-------------
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 7:39pm
Welcome to the 'club' !!!

Yup, it starts with one tractor, a B in your case...then you'll see a 'parts' B for sale, that'll come home with you...then you'll get it running, hmmm still need parts for the 1st one, so you buy another 'parts' tactor, but, well, somehow switching the wires from 1-2-3-4 to 1-2-4-3 got it running REAL good... so you can steal parts from it can you?

When you get to #3, well, you're hooked, you've got 'orange blood fever'
Jay

-------------

Posted By: JohnCO
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 12:12am
Welcome to the forum!  Getting a B will make our friend Bill Long very happy!!

-------------
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 12:46am
Originally posted by Gerald J. Gerald J. wrote:

Years a go I had an 8N. I found it a useless toy. Too light for real work. I tried garden plowing one year and when the plow pulled hard the 3 point hitch took weight off the rear tires and they tilled more dirt than the plow turned over.

With the 8N PTO driven by the intermediate shaft in the transmission it is crucial to have an overrunning clutch on the PTO drive so the spinning inertia of the PTO driven mower doesn't drive the tractor even with the transmission clutch pushed or the engine stopped.

I was very happy to see it leave.

Gerald J.

If they're too light for "real work", I guess my great-grandpa wasn't a "real farmer", because that's all he ever had. 
The plowing problem is the classic symptom of either having your lift lever too low on the quadrant or having worn/mis-adjusted linkages under the top cover. Either is an easy remedy. I was 15 when I first plowed with mine, and I remember thinking it was a flawed system as well. Really jerky draft control, plow was always too deep or barely scraping the ground. Lots of "lug, spin tires, *plow bumps up* lurch forward, *plow drops back down* lug, spin tires..." and on and on. Once I learned you don't shove the lever all the way down, plowing was fast, and the draft control worked seamlessly. Just lower the lever enough so the plow settles on the ground, then go down another inch, and it will be set just about perfect for plowing deep in clay with minimum slippage. 

Funny story I just remembered...an old teacher of mine used to have an 8N he liked pretty well, but he said every time he plowed the front end came off the ground. Not sure what he was doing, but something was definitely not set right.

As far as the PTO...the B is the same way...no ORC, no quick stop...

Glad the OP got a B, nonetheless. They are nice tractors, I agree. Like was stated, you can convert to 3pt if you wish, which is a lot better than nothing. Hope to see more pics once you get it home! 
Something interesting about the B (I don't know if it's true or not) but I read Henry Ford really liked them, so he bought one in 1938, and based the design of his new 9N off of it. 

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 5:41am
welcome to the club, glad ya didn't buy a cub...hey a new poem....

b's are great little tractors, nieghbor used his with a 5ft brush hog....just chugged a long. if you can't find an answer on this forum about a B there isn't an answer out there.  Don't be afraid to ask a question folks on here have been using allis's for generations, even if you get a manual check with the folks on here, they will most likely have a tip or two to make the job easier.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 7:52pm
Congrats on your purchase Brewvet! You are an AC man now. Hope you will enjoy it. We are anxious to see the video. I still haven't learned how to post them myself. Put it on youtube and post the link. That's what I did, and a lot of others as well.

Posted By: CTuckerNWIL
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by brewvet brewvet wrote:

Well I jumped in with both feet, offer accepted on the Allis B. I have a video of it starting up, real pretty tractor and runs great. Is it possible to post a video here?

Super excited

Upload your video to youtube. Then you can add a link here a couple different ways.

-------------
http://www.ae-ta.com" rel="nofollow - http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 2:57pm
Well the seller backed out on me, we agreed to finalize the deal this week then I get an email that he changed his mind. So back to square one.

I will keep looking, gonna expand the search to include the CA also. Seems to be quite a few of those arround.

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 3:05pm
If you have the option, all things considered, the CA is a better tractor. 4 gears,semi live PTO, tad more power, spinout rims, but money talks !
Jay

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 4:46pm
Hey that does happen. I had 2 deals on B's fall apart but I finally found one to throw money at. Like said before find something that will suit your needs and buy it. Good luck!

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 10:49pm
I know it seems frustrating to not have a deal work out, but give it time and the right deal will come along. I searched 8 years for a good All-Crop Super 100...found probably 6 or 7 over the years. Missed out on some, and others were just junk, but looking back I'm "super" excited how it all turned out. Wouldn't have it any other way. 

So keep your head up...you'll get the right one sooner or later! 

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 4:45am
a B is a great little tractor, but a live pto is great to have when brush hogging or cutting fields.  bummer your deal fell through, we've all been there.  Don't be affraid to look outside your area for a tractor, if you find one and need it hauled put a post on forum.  worked for me when I bought a d14 in new york and i live in central pa.  fella that hauled gave a great price and was a real nice fella to deal with...he also had a set of rims and tires that I needed. dt

-------------

Posted By: bikley
Date Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 5:04am
Originally posted by Hubnut Hubnut wrote:

I agree with BEK.  There are WAY more Bs and Cs in the North GA, SC, NC region
than here in FL.  Indeed, the snap coupler Bs were very popular in this
region.  I've been watching several Bs near Charlotte and that one that
BEK showed is very nice and fairly priced in my opinion.  Costs me 3-4
grand (including tractor purchase price) to properly restore a B and it'll never be worth more than $2500
on it's best day.  Sad, but true.  I've owned cubs too (lowboys).  Twice.  Both times I found
working on them a pain in the rear. and I sold them.  The AC B is easy to work on and
parts are readily available.  Here are my Bs and Cs shoehorned into my garage.  Get the B.

Hubnut I need a better picture of the whie one

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 5:44pm
Here you go.

-------------
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 6:30pm
So found another b within 200 miles of me going to look at it this weekend, the pictures and description seem that it's in nice shape. It has been converted to 12 volts, runs and drives, has been repainted and comes with cultivators. He says tires are about 50 percent tread and hold air. He drove it in a tractor parade and had no issues. Price seems right at $1400.00.

Anything else to pay attention to, common issues?

Thanks

Posted By: Gerald J.
Date Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 6:47pm
Read the manuals I posted links to Saturday and you will probably know more about the tractor than the seller.

Gerald J.

Posted By: Wdtractorman
Date Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 8:53pm
It wont be a popular answers but id get both. My b it better for plowing and disking, and mowing. And i like the cub for cultvating, and mowing with the belly mounted sickel mower. I plow and disk with the cub too but the b just has more umph. http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/wdtractorman1984/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20170723_124829_zpstsssji2e.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 9:03pm
I think you lucked out brewvet. If that seller hadn't backed out on you, you wouldn't have found the B with the cultivators. The cultivators are very important. What the cultivators mean is you will be able to use this tractor for something other than pulling wagons. You can't just run out and buy cultivators for a B anytime. If I had cultivators for mine, that would make the tractor more useful for me, thus making it more valuable to me.

Posted By: wfmurray
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 9:21am
I rode a cub like the one in picture.I now own a B.We had sickle mower like one in picture and cuil ,planter and plow .One year we cuil over 50 acres and mowed several acres with cub.Everone said they needed a little more power.If i had say 5 acres i would go with cub .Attachment are a  lot eaiser to  mount and no comparison in lift.

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 5:48am
All,

So I have found a 'b' I am going to look at this weekend. The owner sent me some pics and would like your thoughts.

Looks like the PTO was painted over, also not seeing hydraulics?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 5:53am
gee, even I would lay down 1200 for that B ! she's pretty and well equipped to boot !
think about this...you can't buy a good ,used,abused riding lawn mower for 1200 !
sure hope you get it.
Jay

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 6:36am
Looks like it has a PTO adapter for modern output, so it is likely an early B.  I also see a hydraulic pump.  If he only wants 1200 and it runs nice without smoke, it's a great deal in my opinion.  Make sure there is no slip in the rear wheel splines and check the lateral play in the rear wheels as well.  The hubs on these have had MANY years to wear out, especially if they were not kept tight during use.  I can tell you from experience, those are not fun to replace.  Paint looks to be very nice.

-------------
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H

Posted By: kurtleimkuehler
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 3:38pm
Buy an allis chalmers G.  They look like they can handle any task at hand.

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 5:19pm
Thanks all. He's actually asking $1400, but still sounds like a good deal. I will check out the rear wheels for any play.

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 6:47am
Update: looked at the tractor yesterday and after some negotiation we agreed and she came home on a uHaul auto transport. That was a bit challenging because she barely fit due to the width if the ramps.

The good, she looks to be a 1939 serial number 29890. Runs like a top, no smoke,no leaks to speak of, clutch and transmission are good. The bad brakes barely work and will need some tires, fronts are the worst.

Looks like the lever to lower the implements has been customized.

And since I didn't want her lonely a 1940 Farmall A agreed to keep her company.

Question, is there a way to adjust the brakes?

Posted By: Hubert (Ga)engine7
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 7:07am
Congratulations, you did good! There is a screw and lock nut on the top side of the brakes that you can adjust but very likely the brakes are worn out and will have to be replaced. If the drums are okay you can wash all the crud out of the axle housing and pull the brake bands out from the top once you get the pins removed. The other option is removing the final drives which will need to be done if you need new drums. Did you get any hardware and feet with the cultivator or just the frame?

-------------
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 7:58am
Well, she looks good! I'm curious about the cap on the side of the hood. What's it for? I've never seen it before. Good looking Farmall too, did you buy both tractors? The brakes on my B are almost non-existent as well. That's a future project, one of thousands I need to get to.

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 8:02am
Thanks for the reply. Yep got a complete set of cultivators and mounting hardware which look like they have never been used.

It looks like the brakes are just worn out, I tried adjusting them and can get a little pedal on the left side but nothing on the right. So it sounds like the bands are easy to replace, the drums are a lot more work.

I will order some new bands, can you buy these at NAPA or would I need to get from Steiner, etc?

Thanks

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 8:35am
That tank on the right side of the hood is the gasoline tank. It's a Kerosene B. The engine serial number should have a "K" stamped as the final digit, unless it's had a block swap. 

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 9:20am
Originally posted by Ranse Ranse wrote:

Well, she looks good! I'm curious about the cap on the side of the hood. What's it for? I've never seen it before. Good looking Farmall too, did you buy both tractors? The brakes on my B are almost non-existent as well. That's a future project, one of thousands I need to get to.

The Farmall I actually took in trade. 

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 9:24am
Originally posted by CrestonM CrestonM wrote:

That tank on the right side of the hood is the gasoline tank. It's a Kerosene B. The engine serial number should have a "K" stamped as the final digit, unless it's had a block swap. 

Interesting, can you school me on the Kersoene models, were these dual fuel? 

There is a separate number on the block starting with a 'K', Looks to be 'K 108'. 

The other number stamped appears to be 5 digits starting with an 'AM'. 

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 10:36am
I don't know a whole lot about them, other than yes they are dual fuel. You're supposed to start the engine on gas from the little tank, then switch over to kerosene (main tank) when the engine warms up. Unless it's been overhauled and gas pistons installed, the pistons will be a bit shorter and have a dish in them (kinda like an Allis power crater piston, but not as extreme). On a good day you'll have about 90 lbs compression, which I've heard is good for a kerosene engine. I put taller gas pistons in mine (since I only run gas) and raised the compression to 115 lbs, and I can tell there's a little power increase. 

The engine serial number is located to the rear of the air cleaner, where the engine bolts to the torque tube. May be kinda hard to read, but should start with either a "BE" (most likely) or "CE" and end with a "K". The "AM" number on the right side of the block you saw is the casting number. the last two digits of that string of numbers indicates the year it was cast, but it's still a code. It will be a number like 12, or 13, etc. I can't remember what numbers line up to which years, but someone here will know.

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 6:30pm
Very nice tractor there!  I think you did great!  Enjoy. 

-------------
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 4:14am
couldn't decide on an Allis or a Farmall so ya bought both...lol.  nice machine.  when I pulled the final drives on my d14 (have to pull them to work on brakes on a d14) I just chained them to the trusses of the garage roof. when putting them back on I used a heavy duty ratched strap on the axle tube close to the end and one on the other side close to the final drive.  that way if I needed to raise or lower it a little to get it to line up I could just give it a couple cranks on the ratchet strap.  

-------------

Posted By: Allis dave
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 6:51am
There's a guy screen name "Rick" on here. He does an excellent job relining brake bands and clutch discs for a great price. I bought one clutch from him. If I was doing a brake job, I would talk to Rick. Look through the classified section. Every few weeks he bumps his "For sale" back to the top.

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 7:14am
If the brake drums are in good shape and you only replace the brake bands, make sure you clean out the housing really good.  This makes getting the new band in a lot easier.

I made a tool from a piece of flat stock to scrape all the junk out of the housing.  There's a a hole in the bottom of the housing where debris can fall out.  Compressed air or a shop vac will help.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net