This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Guy debating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Guy debating
    Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 12:21pm
Greetings All,

I am debating between several of the smaller tractors available. Looking at something like a Farmall Cub or Allis Chambers B. I want a small tractor for a few reasons, leveling a gravel driveway, possibly plowing a small garden area (1 acre or less) and just general fun (perhaps getting into some of the tractor parades, etc). 

I have been looking at a B and Cub on ebay, looks like the prices are all over the place ($1500 to 4000+), also seems like not much for sale near me (North Georgia). Looking for any suggestions,or comments between these two types for my needs. Also if anyone knows of a better place to find one for sale I am all ears. Any gotchas to look out for? I did some research (ask about oil leaks, smoking when running, condition of tires). 

Any help/pointers would be most welcome. I do like the looks of the B model better then the cub. 

Thanks
Sponsored Links

Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 12:40pm
Horse power wise the IHC Cub and the A.C. G are in the same range.
The A.C. B & C are the same engine.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 1:14pm
I think Dusty means the B and C are both the same HP but more than either the Cub or G.
I think most on here would agree the B (or C) is the better choice for the kind of work you want to do. They work really well with a belly mount lawn mower and they pull a 12" (or even 14")  single bottom plow with ease. They seem to plow snow well with a little weight and chains. There are several videos on You-Tube showing them doing all this.
HoughMade View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HoughMade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 1:18pm
The A.C. B is more comparable to a Farmall A in size and horsepower.  The Cub is about half the power.  Any of them would do what you seem to want them for.  You're going to find B partisans here, I suppose.  That's what I have.  In that regard, they are solid, simple little tractors where all the parts are available and not too expensive.  You'll probably find it easier to find Farmall branded implements, but to me, that's not a make or break.

I like orange....red is way to common, but that's me.  
1951 B
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 1:41pm
I like both tractors, but think the B would be better for actually using. Culti-vision is nice on the cub, but I've heard a lot of guys say they are under powered. The bench seat on the B is nice, allowing you to sit to one side or the other, making cultivating easier. 
If you'll be doing plowing, a B is a dream. It's a snorty little devil if you have it running good! They made a mounted 1 bottom plow for it, but I pull an Oliver 2 bottom trip plow with mine. In clay soil it gives a work out, but I never added any weight to the tractor until 2016, after I acquired a set of rear wheel weights. They help some when getting in really tough ground. Always runs out of weight before it runs out of power. 
The PTO is also a nice feature. A Cub could have PTO, but without the adapter I believe it turns 1,800 RPM, and runs backwards of most other tractors. 
If you get to wanting to do more work with modern implements, 3 point hitch kits are available. 

If it were me, I'd choose the B. More power, heavier built, and I just like their "center line design" better. 
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 1:56pm
I'd rather have a CA than a B as it has  a 4 speed transmission and a tad bit more power. Also I think the PTO is 'standard' 1 3/8, think the B was smaller,though a lot were upgraded ?

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
brewvet View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 2:14pm
lots of good information so far, thanks. Wondering if anyone could comment on this one on Ebay I am debating on: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-ALLIS-CHARMER-TRACTOR/222762182973?_trkparms=pageci%3A812cef42-180c-11e8-9413-74dbd180c36a%7Cparentrq%3Abf23fc131610aa1a2da29af5fffc6fd8%7Ciid%3A1&_trksid=p2481888.c100678.m3607

Seems pretty nice, from the pictures at least. One question that has me stumped though, what is the box next to the left front wheel? Thought it might be some type of power steering, but in researching this wasn't offered on these. 

Any comments good or bad on this one? 

Thanks Again...

sparky View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 2:29pm
I think you are referring to the front axle weight.
It's the color tractor my grandpa had!
brewvet View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 2:30pm
Hmm..OK makes sense, haven't seen this on other tractors I have been looking at. 

mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 2:50pm
Another Charmer tractor. My Dad has a cub that he mows with. Cute little tractors but underpowered. I really would not mind having it though as a toy. Around here they seem to be over priced but in demand. I would lean towards a B if you want something to work some. People more knowledgable will chime in. But keep in mind this an Orange forum so we are prejudiced! 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
cdon_FL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cdon_FL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 2:59pm
I had a cub.  Sold it soon after trying to use it for real work.  Cute little machines but grossly underpowered.  Even when new.

Unusably underpowered in my opinion.
Chris in NE Florida
cdon_FL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdon_FL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 3:05pm
Farmall WAY WAY more popular in the southeast than Allis Chalmers.   That may be a factor for you at some point when you are looking for parts or accessories to fit on the tractor you have.

My 92 year old father in law has a Farmall Super C in Cairo GA.  He would sell it I am sure.  Is now too tall for him to climb up on easily.  Well loved, if you know what I mean, but still a worker.  Plenty of power.  Unlike the Cubs.
Chris in NE Florida
Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 3:11pm
If you are talking about the box actually mounted on the front axle, it is front weights. Hard to say condition without hearing it run and driving it. Paint looks good as well as sheet metal but again needs to be looked at close up. New tires as well as the front weights might make it an OK value but at 2500 seems somewhat high. Would be good to show up to look at it without being announced to verify over all condition and see how it starts and runs without being started ahead of time. Sometimes new paint is used to cover a multitude of sins.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Bob D. (La) Bob D. (La) wrote:

Sometimes new paint is used to cover a multitude of sins.
Very true...
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 3:31pm
I believe the pto on the cub runs the opposite direction for most equipment

Just cause it's orange don't make it a tractor, there's only one..Allis Chalmers
BEK View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 4:05pm
The B or C is a good tractor.

Search craigslist throughout North and South Carolina.  The B's and C's were wildly popular in this region on the family tobacco farms.  They turn up for sale quite often.  Along with the little Farmall's that were also popular.

I'd sell you mine, but I have more money and effort into it than it's worth.  LOL  Good luck with the hunt.  Brad

brewvet View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by BEK BEK wrote:

The B or C is a good tractor.

Search craigslist throughout North and South Carolina.  The B's and C's were wildly popular in this region on the family tobacco farms.  They turn up for sale quite often.  Along with the little Farmall's that were also popular.

I'd sell you mine, but I have more money and effort into it than it's worth.  LOL  Good luck with the hunt.  Brad

Thanks, I have been digging through Craigslist but with little luck. Man that's a beautiful tractor you got there.
davh View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 4:27pm
Lots of great info on this forum for the Little Allis tractors.  The one main thing I look for is the condition of the rubber.  Can get into your pocketbook if they have to be replaced soon. No doubt more tractor for the money than the little cubs.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 5:19pm
If I had my druthers I'd get the CA. But looking at the two of them, the B with the new tires all the way around would have a powerful attraction to me. Anyone who would put that much rubber on the tractor has to have a good base to start with and usually tires are the last thing to put on and he didn't spare the coin. So while I might prefer the CA the B could be the better buy. They did build a 16" plow for the B and other implements are available too. They also just sip the gas, much less that the Farmall. The B with a Woods belly mower will mow with anything. But, it's your green stamps so it's ultimately your decision.
BEK View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 5:54pm
Allis B in Canton GA, Atlanta craigslist.  Not mine.  They're out there.

brewvet View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by BEK BEK wrote:

Allis B in Canton GA, Atlanta craigslist.  Not mine.  They're out there.

Thanks I saw that one and called him, it was already sold.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 6:06pm
I agree with BEK.  There are WAY more Bs and Cs in the North GA, SC, NC region than here in FL.  Indeed, the snap coupler Bs were very popular in this region.  I've been watching several Bs near Charlotte and that one that BEK showed is very nice and fairly priced in my opinion.  Costs me 3-4 grand (including tractor purchase price) to properly restore a B and it'll never be worth more than $2500 on it's best day.  Sad, but true.  I've owned cubs too (lowboys).  Twice.  Both times I found working on them a pain in the rear. and I sold them.  The AC B is easy to work on and parts are readily available.  Here are my Bs and Cs shoehorned into my garage.  Get the B.

1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 6:36pm
dt....I think that was just on the cub lo-boy the PTO was like that, I could be wrong tho.
Tireboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tireboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 6:52pm
Go to Gathering of the Orange April 26-29 in Gray Tennessee there will be plenty of little AC's to look at and probably some for sale.
drobCA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drobCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 7:17pm
do you have any mechanical experience?
would tinkering with it be part of the fun?
seems to me once a B gets running right, they require very little maintenance... but you can fuss around a little if so inclined.
and it is unbelievable the support you will get from the guys on this forum!!!

I agree that the all new rubber is a big bonus and probably a good indicator of the general condition.  sure looks like a sweetheart B to me.
3 Ford 8N's I loan to neighbors, but the '52CA, '41B and little B1 I do not.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 7:37pm
The tire thing is correct. I bought new rear tires for the B I bought last fall and doubled my cost in the tractor! And I still need tires for the front!
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
brewvet View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by drobCA drobCA wrote:

do you have any mechanical experience?
would tinkering with it be part of the fun?
seems to me once a B gets running right, they require very little maintenance... but you can fuss around a little if so inclined.
and it is unbelievable the support you will get from the guys on this forum!!!

I agree that the all new rubber is a big bonus and probably a good indicator of the general condition.  sure looks like a sweetheart B to me.

Yep, I am mechanically inclined. I have gotten greasy more then once, mostly on muscle cars. Looks to me these would be much easier to work on.
drobCA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drobCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 7:53pm
ohhhhh, yes they are!
my fave story is that I pulled a starter, replaced the brushes and put it back on in 10 minutes without hurrying.
also without crawling under or getting road grit falling in my eyes.
you're gonna love it!
3 Ford 8N's I loan to neighbors, but the '52CA, '41B and little B1 I do not.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 9:31pm
If you are comparing tractors a B or C is much closer to an IHC A.  An Allis CA would be similar in many ways to an IHC Super A.  I have had both and unless you are using the tractor for cultivating, the AC is better all around.  The Cub has  around 60 cu in flat head, much like an AC G, both the bigger tractors have overhead valve engines around 125 cu in.  The Cub is really just a large garden tractor, where the others will do real work.  Usually the AC's bring a bit less money then IHC's but in some parts of the country maybe not much difference.  Being this is an AC site and I'm and AC guy, it's pretty obvious which way I lean....
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 4:15am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

dt....I think that was just on the cub lo-boy the PTO was like that, I could be wrong tho.

I went to look at a cub and the fella told me the pto turned ccw?  I also could be wrong, I mean ask the old lady, I'm always wrongLOL
Just cause it's orange don't make it a tractor, there's only one..Allis Chalmers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic