This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Time to "Get more, make more, with the 66"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time to "Get more, make more, with the 66"
    Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 12:42am
Almost exactly two years ago, I found a 66 on Craigslist. Didn't really need one, didn't have a use for it, but it was real close to my dads place. He used to run one when he was younger.  We went and looked at it. Its a big bin with a scour kleen on it. Upper canvas is shot, lower one is gone, rubber is gone from the cylinder bars, those seem to be the big dollar items. Otherwise, it seems to be in good shape. It had been shedded but was moved out to the fencerow to make room in the shed for some other equipment. It kills me to see nice equipment rot away. But, I let it go for the time being, I was building my WC anyways.

Here are some pictures from 2015.

Little surface rust under the concave, nothing major.

Well, I've been slowly gearing up to try a little crop farming. We have all the equipment for tillage and planting food plots, but nothing for harvesting. I have enough tractors, and I am kind of without a project. I have to paint the WC yet, but my outside paint booth needs to stay above 60 degrees at night to paint. So that will be later this summer.

Lucky for me, I always print out Craigslist ads of stuff I'm interested in, cause you just never know.....

I called last fall and struck a deal on it, told her I would be back in spring to get it. 

It had flat tires and was sunk in the mud, so we had to start there. I was talking to my retired neighbor about getting this combine, and he was adamant that he would come along to help get it. So, we loaded up the truck with a jack, a pile of blocks, jackstands, a grease gun,  and a set of six bolt implement rims.

So, here is how we found it, two years later. It actually looks a little better with all the bird crap washed off.

Got the jack under the tongue, and got that up in the air.

Pulled off the right wheel. Tried to put on my implement rim, but the hole is just a bit smaller and they don't fit! So I set it on a jackstand on some 2X8s.

Moved to the left side. Got that up in the air, and that rim isn't budging! So I pulled the hubcap off and removed the hub and all. Wrapped up the spindle for now and set it on a stand.

So, that's all we could get done on that trip. Brought the rims back to town with me to put some tires on. Tried Ted J's trick of blowing the tube up to fill the tire before mounting, works pretty good!

Made up some new gaskets for the hubcaps and thrust washers, and put on a set of radial tires I had laying around, just had to go get some radial tubes to fit. They have some goofy looking valve stems about 4" long, but they should work to get the thing down here.

So today, the neighbor and junior and I headed back up for attempt #2.

Got the wheels on and fully greased while they were up in the air.

My boy says "How come you take so many pictures of me?"

I told him, "Because this is how good memories are made, doing stuff like this. Did you ever notice how I never take pictures of you playing video games or watching TV?" He just smiled and went back to work.

So, we hooked it up to the receiver hitch to get it out onto the lane.

Now, its time to get skinny. I made this hitch over the winter to offset it all the way to the right. It goes into the receiver hitch, and a support runs up to the spring eye. The only flat surface I could find under there.

Strung a makeshift safety chain, and put a light bar on.

Flipped the straw hood up, put the auger inside. The hitch worked perfect, the right side of the combine lined up exactly with the pickup.  Very little tongue weight, and it pulled easy as pie. We took back roads the 20 miles back to town, and I stopped and greased the hubs halfway. The hubs were warm, but not hot. Kept it at about 25 mph, beautiful afternoon for a leisurely cruise through the country.

Got it pulled into my backyard so I can tinker with it in my spare time.

So, I am pretty busy with kids and camping and sports for the rest of the summer, but I wanted to get this home, so I can tinker here and there.

TomYaz and combinechris, you guys are my new best friends as I work on this little endeavor. Gonna be tons of questions as I learn the inner workings of this beast.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by littlemarv - 25 Jul 2017 at 9:54pm
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
Sponsored Links

B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 6:11am
Marv thats a great life adventure with your son !!  I fixed up a 90 one time that was in much worse shape.   
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 7:20am
Now that looks like a great project! Thanks for sharing the story and all the pictures.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 8:07am
Looks practically new! You done well! Having a solid one to begin with is worth a lot!
littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 7:42pm
Well, got a few minutes to myself today.

First order of business, the header was down in the dirt. Fired up the pressure washer and blasted out the 50 pounds of crud from behind the sickle.

Found these in the bottom of the clean grain tank. Anybody know what they are?

After the inch of rain today, plus all my washing, there was standing water in the bottom of the grain tank. Noticed water running out of the auger door.

Popped the door off. Nasty.

Wonder if I should just leave the doors off the auger and elevators, so the water just runs out?

I didn't notice during my initial inspection 2 years ago, but the lever for the engagement gearbox is broke right off.

It is broken pretty much flush with the gearbox, where a cotter pin goes through it.

I think (hope) this is all related. The pipe for the crank for the unloading auger is bent, as is the main engagement rod. I'm guessing someone ran into the controls up front, which broke the lever off back at the gearbox, at its weakest point.

I'm hoping I can pop the little cover off the gearbox, and fish the broken part out, weld it back together, and turn it back to size.

The upper canvas is junk. I may as well rip that all out and save all the metal bars.

I suspect the upper canvas may be wedged in the cylinder. Bit by bit, piece by piece, I will get this all freed up....

Edited by littlemarv - 25 Jul 2017 at 10:04pm

Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 8:35pm
That 66 seems like a pretty solid  machine!!! Those pieces you found in the bin are crop lifters that fit on the sickle bar. They do what the name implies and they work really good. If you have any questions feel free to message me and I am enjoying your photos!! Ryan
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 8:48pm
Those things in the grain take are pick up guards  they mount on the cycle guards . Good for picking crops that have fallen down .5 is a normal set.
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 9:01pm
You did well.  Nice clean machine.  Was surprised at how good it look.  Have to remember the age on it and considering that it is super.
Fixed up you will be able to harvest almost any grain.
Let us know how you go.  Look forward to seeing progress reports.
Good Luck!
Bill Long

ps:  I understand Tony Yaz left Pennsylvania and moved west.  I met him once at a Mid Atlantic Allis Chalmers Club meeting at Fred Wilke's in Hanover PA.  Give him my finest regards.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 10:41pm
Awesome! Does my heart good seeing another All-Crop saved! You'll get it running like a sewing machine soon. I think they're pretty fun to work on, and they are as simple as it gets! 5 belts and 4 drive chains! (Not including the grain drag and elevator chains)
Your combine makes my machines look ugly! Of my 3 machines, 2 had rusted out concaves. Yours looks great!
Those lifters will be very nice in downed crops, but All-Crops are good at picking up crops (even windrows) without them.
Depending on what you're harvesting, you may not need new bars. Mine are all like yours, but they work great in milo and wheat. In general, you don't need the rubber for hard small grains like that.
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 6:14am
Hi Marv   Great pictures, as to the doors I would leave them off.   Two pieces of metal clamped together make a spot for water to linger and make rust.    Mark
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 9:38am
Back in the day we used those pickup guards on downed milo, they helped depending on how flat it was.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 1:56pm
Crop lifters helped a lot in down beans
Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 7:38pm
Yes those crop lifters are great in downed beans when you have no fingers on the reel!!! Been there before! Ryan
David Maddux View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 9:09pm
Looks like Jr. is a pretty good worker!
Darwin W. Kurtz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darwin W. Kurtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 9:43pm
That looks like a good machine. Will make a great project for you guys
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 6:30pm
Got the bent pipe and rod off, need to take them to work with me and straighten them out this week.

Popped the cover off the gearbox, undid the bolt that was underneath it. Pulled the shaft out with a pliers while holding whatever the bolt goes into with a magnet, nothing fell down that I know of. Can't see down in there....  Hopefully it slides right back in.

I was going to weld it back together, but it looks twisted and cracked in addition to being broken. I can either find a used one, or have a machinist friend make me a new one from scratch.

More to come!

Edited by littlemarv - 25 Jul 2017 at 10:07pm

Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 7:12pm
I have those parts if you need them
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 7:39pm
Marv,
It is always great to read your photo journal of a project!
You are talented in so many ways! I want to get a good AC pull
type combine someday, if the preacher wife will allow it..
;)
I am looking forward to following this project. Thanks for sharing!
Mike In Iowa
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 8:09pm
What size tractor is required to properly run that machine? I have never been around a pull-type but other than some dust while operating, it looks like it would be enjoyable. Please keep up the pics and mechanical progress Smile
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

What size tractor is required to properly run that machine? I have never been around a pull-type but other than some dust while operating, it looks like it would be enjoyable. Please keep up the pics and mechanical progress Smile
They really are fun to operate! Any full 2 plow tractor will handle them. 
The Ford N series do good, the Allis W series, as well as the CA work great, and a Deere A will walk with it like there's nothing back there. 
I have a Allis B that my friends and I dub the "Super B". It has a D14 carb, CA governor spring, and taller CA pistons. It puts out a lot more power than it did to start with, and it handles my 60A's well in good yielding milo. Only problem is when the 18 bushel bin on my machines get full, the tractor begins to lose traction on slopes. It really needs more weight in the rear, but it has the power to run it. 
I especially like the side discharge of the machine because if you have straw coming out, your tailings and clean grain elevators are working (most likely), as well as the grain drag. The side discharge provides an easy check, as it's more difficult to see with a straight through machine. The only bad thing is they are so wide, making hauling and backing more difficult, but neither are just terrible. 
I've never had any problem with dust until this year. It's never bothered me before, (Not even with the 100), and I've been in some pretty heavy dust without so much as a sneeze or two. This year something must have been different, because by the end of the day I was so eat up by allergies that I could barely breath or see. I got off the combine for a bit and took a few clean breaths, and waited a while for everything to calm down. For the rest of the day I only cut into the wind. Wink

Another thing I like about the pull types....since the header is as wide as the cylinder, the crop mat is thin and even, and therefore doesn't bottleneck or bunch in the cylinder. This allows you to generally travel faster (5 mph usually), and you don't have to worry about slugging the machine near as much as with a larger machine like a 100. 

Oh....also, Marv....if you will keep the combine inside, you might disregard this, but if it will stay outside, my advice is to torch some bigger holes in the header bottom. The factory drain holes are small and plug super easy. I'm honestly surprised mine wasn't rusted out as many years as it sat out. (Never been under cover in its life). I was always dealing with water standing in the header, so I torched 4 holes about 1 1/2" wide and 3" long in the header bottom. Now nothing clogs it, and it is very easy to wash out. Best of all....no standing water or grain left in the bottom! 

Edited by CrestonM - 17 Jun 2017 at 8:33pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 8:31pm
Thanks for the info. I thought maybe it would take a WD at a minimum
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Thanks for the info. I thought maybe it would take a WD at a minimum
Remember when the first Allis combines (Then called "High Speed" combines instead of "All-Crop" combines) came out in 1935, the tractor of choice would have been a WC. The WC was dubbed a perfect match for the new 5' combines. 
Here's an old 1937 advertisement showcasing the pair.

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 8:44pm
There were no WC's in our area. Were they similar in hp to a  WD ?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 9:35pm
Now that my story is trashed, thanks Photobucket, the only picture you can see is Crestons. What does F.O.B. mean?

CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 9:49pm
No idea. I don't use photo bucket. I upload photos to the forum, so they will always show up until I use up all my room and have to delete them off my file manager. Then mine won't show up either. Maybe there's no "win" solution?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 10:08pm
There, fixed the pictures in this post.

More to come....

CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 11:30pm
Awesome! Care to say how you did it?
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 7:38am
F.O.B. Free on board. It's the point that the shipping and liability belong to the buyer. F.O.B. Factory means that the buyer is responsible for all costs as soon as it rolls out the factory door.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 1:15pm
Cut the damaged pipe and removed it from the shaft. Straightened them both out, cut about 1" off of the pipe and welded it back together.

Heated the engagement rod and straightened that back out. Stopped over to combine chris's house one day en route to a soccer game, picked up an engagement lever and a reel chain drive sprocket.

So, now the gearbox and unloading levers work. The lower section of the unloading auger was almost stuck. Greased all the zerks and wiggled it back and forth. Didn't take to long and it freed up. Greased the upper section, now you can spin the pulley for the unloading auger by hand. Put a rain cap on the auger.

Cracked open the tailings elevator, not much gunk in there.

Checked the clean grain elevator, as soon as I touched the bolt to undo the cover, water started dripping out. And it hasn't rained in a few days.

Extra nasty. Here is why the doors rot out.

Thanks for looking!

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 1:20pm
To straighten out the pictures, I went to edit post. Right click on where the picture used to be, select "cut". That makes the old picture go away. So now I get my photos from my phone onto my computer, use "paint" to resize, upload to www.vgy.me, and then I can post them here.

There has got to be an easier way, but this will work for now.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic