This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Time to "Get more, make more, with the 66"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 1:48pm
Ripped the upper canvas out.  Got my first look at the inside of the concave.

Doesn't look very easy to clean out in there. How big of a job is it to just remove the concave? I might just do that, sandblast and paint it right away.
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
Sponsored Links

DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 2:11pm
The concave is not meant to be removed. It's riveted in place.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 10:24pm
You're right...it is kinda hard to clean out. I tried flushing mine out with a hose and the inspection port open, but that didn't work well. What DID work was using the combine! Running the straw through there cleaned it up nicely and got all the mud and junk out. 

I think it could be removed...just have to take your time. Might make it easier to pull the cylinder out first. 
Kyle(MN) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyle(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 12:16pm
Very interesting- Thanks for posting!!!
littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 9:36pm
Well, got a few minutes to work on it again tonight....

Put the chain on the reel drive, got the belt on the reel drive as well. Got the belt on the back properly, I think.

Heres the funny part. The belt was on the combine when I got it, but not on the pulleys. There are two slots for the tensioner pulley and the pulley was up toward the top of the upper slot. In order to get the belt on I had to move the pulley to the lower slot. Anything weird there I should know about, or is it just to allow for and inch or two either way in belt length?

Anyways, I dumped a little waste oil on the sickle and used a long bar to turn the pto shaft several revolutions. Lots of squeaks and groans, but it went around a few times.  Well, can I really be at the point already where I grease it up and hook it to a tractor? Granted, I haven't got the canvas situation figured out, but I can at least see if everything else works....

combinechris View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote combinechris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 2:09pm
If your combine is going to sit outside. Open all the doors so water can get out , also open the clean out door along the bottom of the header so water doesn't sit in the header.

Hey Creston, he has a 66 not a 60. The header on a 66 has a door at the bottom you can take it off.
35 combines and 15 forage harvesters. mostly allis combines and equipment.WTB 2 row cornhead for a 90
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by combinechris combinechris wrote:

If your combine is going to sit outside. Open all the doors so water can get out , also open the clean out door along the bottom of the header so water doesn't sit in the header.

Hey Creston, he has a 66 not a 60. The header on a 66 has a door at the bottom you can take it off.
Oh really? One of my 60A's has a 66 header on it (Yes, it's got the flares) and underneath it looks just like my other 60A with a 60A header. 
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote combinechris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by CrestonM CrestonM wrote:

The header on a 60 or 66 will interchange . On the 66 header there is a door you can take off underneath the roller to clean out.

Oh really? One of my 60A's has a 66 header on it (Yes, it's got the flares) and underneath it looks just like my other 60A with a 60A header. 
35 combines and 15 forage harvesters. mostly allis combines and equipment.WTB 2 row cornhead for a 90
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote combinechris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 3:09pm
Yes Creston the headers are interchangeable. But on the 66 header there's a clean out door under the roller behind the sickle.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 5:33pm
HOLY CHIT Ryan, you're doing a good job on that beauty!!
I like that, the two best guys that I know are helping you out.  THANKS Creston and Chris!!!!! Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap

Chris and Ryan, I'm gonna be in your neighbor hood on Thursday, but I won't have time to get near you.  Going up to wiplowboy's and getting a tractor that I've wanted for quite some time.  Be up there around 5 or 5:30.

I am really proud of you Ryan, for getting Jr. involved.........MEMORIES in the making!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 12:08pm
Opened the inspection port. I think I am going to remove both cylinder bars, for a couple reasons. To make it easier to clean out, and by removing the bottom one, there will be drain holes in the concave. I gotta get all that junk out of there, I suspect the concave is pretty thin in some places. My plan is to buy a large canvas tarp that covers the clean grain tank, the scour kleen, and the cylinder. Need to keep the water out of there....

I see this is called a "shelling plate" or "ledger plate". Looks like a strip of rubber that could be easily reproduced?

There is a panel that can be removed behind the sickle. But, as usual, ONE carriage bolt spun. I will have to run an extension cord out there and grind the head off, but right now, we are halfway through the 1 1/2" of rain we are supposed to get today. 

CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 12:56pm
Yep, you can get a tarp, just be sure it is waterproofed. You will most likely have to pull the concave bars to install an overlay. (They have carriage bolts as well) To tell if you could use an overlay, just knock on the bottom side of the concave. If it sounds pretty thin, it probably needs one.
Also, installing an overlay isn't too terrible. Most people say to remove the cylinder, but I didn't. I just raised the cylinder a bit, then took my overlay and fed it in from the back while rotating the cylinder, thus using the cylinder to do the work of pulling it down and holding it in shape while I put the bolts through and tightened them up.  
Yes, the rubber on the shelling plate is easily replaceable, just don't lose the washers that hold it down. They are special washers, and while you can find them in certain places, it's easier to just keep track of yours. Chris will chime in and tell you what kind of rubber to use for that. 
That said, the rubber is gone on one of my combine's shelling plate and the rubber on all my combines' cylinder bars is shot. If you are doing a hard threshing crop like wheat or milo, you don't need good rubber, but if you do delicate crops you will need to get that replaced. 

Also...as far as draining water from the concave...I park my combine with the right wheel about 4" higher than the left side, thus helping the water run out so it isn't left standing inside. 

Edited by CrestonM - 03 Aug 2017 at 12:59pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 5:00pm
I've had to rebuild 4-5 of these. It's not hard just time consuming.
1) Remove the whole cylinder.
2) Unbolt the concave bars and ledger plate.
3) Measure the concave to make a new one. I know some of you will laugh, but I use a string and marker. Put the end of the string on the front edge of the old concave where the ledger bolts on. Now just let the string lay on the concave so it's running straight from front to back. Use the marker to mark where the bolt holes and each bend is as well as where the back of the concave ends. Now you have the layout for the replacement concave. Use a tape measure for the width of the concave and make sure to leave some wiggle room to aid in assy.
4) Find a sheet metal shop (not a fab shop) to do the bending. The time I had one bent last year for my 60 with the two row corn head. It cost me $20.00, very inexpensive.
5) Use the string to lay over the new concave and mark each line of bolt holes ( should only be three) on both ends.
6) Sit the concave bar on the new concave and line up the bolt hole center with the makers on the concave. Now go and mark all the bolt holes on the concave from the concave bars. You will have two rows of marks for the bars. Do the same for the ledger plate holes.
7) Drill all the holes where marked.
8) Slide the new concave in from the back and start bolting the concave bars in place.
9) Replace cylinder.

To replace the lagging on the ledger plate I use the belting for round balers.
I replace the rubber concaves with OEM parts from AGCO.    
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by littlemarv littlemarv wrote:

Now that my story is trashed, thanks Photobucket, the only picture you can see is Crestons. What does F.O.B. mean?

FOB -Freight on Board

A very nice find!!!
I would've gone for it too, and I have no need for one.

Edited by JoeO(CMO) - 03 Aug 2017 at 9:28pm

allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 7:03pm
Thanks for posting all of this Marv and guys. Very interesting...and what you guys can do is amazing.
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 9:12am
So tell me more about an overlay. Is it just a sheet cut to size and rolled to correct shape? Do you put any extra bolts in, or just use the cylinder bar bolts? My initial thought is to have one made and powder coat it? How do you use the cylinder to hold it down? Once you remove the cylinder bars, isn't there like an inch or so of clearance?

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 9:43am
My first thought was to bolt a new sheet onto the underside, or outside of the concave?

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 1:42pm
Is it just a sheet cut to size and rolled to correct shape? YES

Do you put any extra bolts in? NO

Just use the cylinder bar bolts? YES

My initial thought is to have one made and powder coat it? Don't power coat as it will just get worn off anyway. I had mine made out of stainless.

How do you use the cylinder to hold it down? The bars hold it down in place, not the cylinder.

Once you remove the cylinder bars, isn't there like an inch or so of clearance? YES, but the new liner will only take up about .0625".

Below is a few pictures of the OEM replacement concave. The only place where it is held in place is at the ledger plate and the two concave bars. It does have clearance holes for the rivet heads and a hook on the back by the walker.

Edited by DennisA (IL) - 06 Aug 2017 at 2:05pm
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 7:19pm
I misread what was said above about the cylinder holding it down. He said to hold it's shape. Stainless is an excellent idea.

Mikes5785 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikes5785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 11:21pm
What would be an equivalent in a red tractor? IH

Thanks

Mike

Edited by Mikes5785 - 03 Aug 2018 at 3:18am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 9:57am
IH made the #60 that had a 60" between dividers. The next model up was the #80 had an 7' cut.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Mikes5785 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikes5785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 10:02am
I was trying to following up on what would be an appropriate comparable size tractor to pull a #66

Mike
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 10:46am
Originally posted by Mikes5785 Mikes5785 wrote:

I was trying to following up on what would be an appropriate comparable size tractor to pull a #66

Mike

Any 2 plow tractor. I used my CA for many years to operate a #60 & #90 all-crop. My CA is around 29hp so it don't take much power to run an All-Crop.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote combinechris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 11:37am
What 60 did IH make Dennis?

Edited by combinechris - 09 Aug 2017 at 11:38am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 12:17pm

What 60 did IH make Dennis?

For pull type combines McCormick/International made the following models.
40,41,42,51,52,60,61,62,76,80,82,122,140,402 & 914.
This is not a complete listing as they made a lot of different models.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 11:06pm
Here are a few pictures I have found on the internet of the International pull type combine.

No.42

No.52R

No.62

Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by Mikes5785 Mikes5785 wrote:

Mike

I'd say an H or M. Super H would probably walk with it very well. An M or Super M wouldn't even know the combine was behind it.
Personally I'd rather have a Super H or an M instead of an Allis W series...I just have trouble getting used to my left leg needing to be longer than my right. Also, the hand clutch always bangs my knee cap. I like the platform on the Farmalls much better.

Edited by CrestonM - 09 Aug 2017 at 11:34pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 10:33pm
Freed up the lever for lifting the header today, also put a rope on the reel and got that moving up and down. 

Removed the panel  under the sickle. Removed the lower concave bar.  It occurred to me AFTER I smashed a finger in the cylinder, that it would be much easier if I raised the cylinder!

At any rate, it looks like the concave bars just clamp the rubber down? I see its two separate pieces in the parts book.  Were the rubber pieces square when new, and this is how they wear?

I ran out of daylight today. I'll be raisin the cylinder before I go stickin any more digits in there trying to fish the other concave bar out, and clean out the sludge, to see what condition the concave is in.

CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 10:58pm
You are correct....the metal bars just hold the rubber down. As far as to what shape the new rubber bars were, I couldn't tell you. All the bars on my 3 combines are shot, but they still do a perfect job in wheat and milo. 
Also...if the combine is going to be kept outside, I would remove the rope for the reel lift when not in use. Speaking from experience, the rope will get brittle if left out, then snap on you sometime when you try adjusting it in the field. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 8:13pm
Well, its above freezing, and will soon be too sloppy for any more logging, time to think combines!

Anything special I need to know about pulling the cylinder? The left side is pretty obvious, but what all needs to be done on the pulley end? Does the pulley have to come off?

Supposed to be warm this weekend and I am stuck in town on call, so I will probably wade out to the old girl and pull the cylinder. I hope to put in a concave liner and rebuild the cylinder bars, as long as I'm in there.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic