This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My C Restoration (Update 9 July 16)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 9:22pm
Some moves forward and some back. Sounds about right for these projects. I think your going to have a nice tractor when complete!
Thanks for posting the pictures.
That PO really pops!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 4:24pm
I've kept at it and gotten some done on my rebuild--mainly cleaning everything!  The machine shop has the flywheel, engine, and head.  The powdercoater has a ton of parts and wheels.  Once they come back I should be able to assemble.  A few snags along the way.  Four bent pushrods, a pickup tube full of dirt?  Poor little engine.  I got the driver's final drive back together with all new seals.  New seals everywhere!  Speaking of which, can someone tell me where the engine seal that I'm pointing to goes? 

Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 5:40pm
One goes in the timing gear cover and the other goes in a maybe I can use it some time some where drawer. The newer B's has a larger hole in the cover so they put two in the gasket set. I have opened up the hole on some of the older covers so I could use the larger seal in my maybe some time some where drawer.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 5:43pm
Parts in plastic bags?? That takes all the fun out of putting it back together. I toss every thing in a bucket and play the hunt and sort game.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 6:04pm
Dick,
Thank you.  That makes sense.  The gasket set is for both B and C tractors.  I'm disappointed in one of the oil pump gaskets.  Not even close!
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by Hubnut Hubnut wrote:

Dick,
Thank you.  That makes sense.  The gasket set is for both B and C tractors.  I'm disappointed in one of the oil pump gaskets.  Not even close!

The thin one goes under the cover. The thick one the goes between the oil pump and block you can make out of gasket paper. Thickness on the one that goes on the block is not that critical.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 8:56pm
Hub,
 Your assembly work looks good! Maybe this thread will prod me into moving on my WD project! Thanks for posting such good pictures too.
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
SC Dan K. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC Dan K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 6:16pm
Back in the good old days I had an obliging parts counter guy who would trade the extra seals that came in kids for the ones I needed more of. I miss that kind of customer service.
SC Dan K. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC Dan K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 6:19pm
Kits not kids stupid voice recognition
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 8:44pm
Got a few more things done.  I got all the parts back from the powdercoater, including the wheels.  I sent the wheels to a local tire shop and they ordered new firestone 9.5 x 24 tires and installed them.  Got them back today.  I like the cream color.  I think it will look good with the orange tractor.  I also had the tin parts powdercoated the same color.  Not purist-worthy, but I like it.  I got both final drives reassembled with all new seals, gaskets and bearings.  I put a new mainshaft into the transmission and reassembled that too.  I hope to get some assembly done this weekend. 

allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 10:19pm
Doing good! I like it.
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
welsh wheelnut View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welsh wheelnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 4:23am
Hey Hubnut. That's what I call a quality rebuild.

I also use the bag method for the fastners. Then I throw them into a bucket to play hunt the bag months and months later. I once had to play hunt the bucket!!!

Clwyd
With great power comes a great big gas bill

Allis B's
EB6449   Eng. No. CE98937K
EB86760 Eng. No. CE104518K
EB104152 Eng. No. RL17293K
EB104369 Eng. No. CE125009K
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 11:18am
Very nice work on the restoration! Your doing it right!
Regards,
 Chris
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 11:42am
Better than new. Fantastic detail from stem to stern. Will be the best of best when assembled.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 4:13pm
Got the final drives and tranny put together.  Tougher than I anticipated.  I got a bit discombombulated with the tranny hanging upside down and I installed the tires backwards.  I'll fix that later.  Too difficult right now.  It's getting there.  Now I need a clutch.  Thanks for the comments.

Wdtractorman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wdtractorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 9:48pm
All I can say is you make me feel terribly inadequate in my atempts at fixing my ol junk. Lol   P.s. what size and type of firestones tires are they I really like the looks of them.

Edited by Wdtractorman - 25 Apr 2015 at 9:51pm
acbnz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acbnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 3:05am
Wish I had seen this before now- great article,I've learned a lot from reading this and looking at the photos,hope to see more on this restoration in the future,thank you for sharing your experience,helped me a lot.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 12:53pm
You my friend are putting this old man to shame. I see you either put the final drives on the wrong side or the tires.
SteveC (NS) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveC (NS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 1:11pm
Can't you just switch the wheels with the tires the way they are?
I wish my boo boos were that easy to fix!

Excellent job Hubnut.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 1:52pm
Hub. I thought to my self, Kenny, How long it would it take for a tractor man to spot the wrong way tire tread direction? You could tell them they were put on that way on purpose because you have a big mud hole you plan to drive into and back out when you get stuck in the mud.
The pro contract combine drivers mount their front drive tires backwards for backing out of soft playa lake wet spots in flat western wheat fields. Going in deep mud to far without the ability to back out with max traction costs lost time and money.
   Now the B&W pic I sent 70u8of the 40 B special vegetable addition had the tire direction bass ackwards. Recon the crybaby kids noticed the backwards mounting and that made them cry that their Grandpa should have known better to reverse the tire to alter the tread width one at a time without swapping sides.. Bet grandpa had lots of unnecessary tire slip when plowing.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 2:51pm
I put the tires on backwards.  I know I know.  Switched them and all is right with the world.  Got the torque tube on.  Still awaiting the engine from the machine shop. 

Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 4:03pm
WDtractorman, the tires are Firestone super all traction II, 9.5 x 24.
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 7:05pm
Beautiful job, can`t wait to see the finished product, but I want to know how do you keep your work place and work bench so clean and organized?
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 7:13pm
When I first looked at the the rear axle assembled my first thought was the tires are on backwards. I see that the later photos show the tires(wheels) have been reversed. Exceptional job.
Jack of all trades, master of none
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 8:48pm
Thanks for the compliments gents.  The shop is a new addition to my backyard, so it hasn't had much time to accumulate and clutter.  It's getting that way though!
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 6:28am
Outstanding job Hub! Outstanding! Love the detail. Don't feel funny about using parts bags. They're the best especially for guys like me that it takes 5 years to redo a Tractor! If it wasn't for those marked bags, I'd be in deep do-do! LOL! Sweet Tractor man!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 7:14pm
Got a few parts on the backside installed.  Hopefully the machine shop will get my engine back this week. 

Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 9:16pm
Hubnut, that is one sweet looking project! Outstanding work - ought to inspire a whole lot of us. Thanks for all the pix and updates.

Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 9:28pm
Thanks Dave.  I have waaayy too much money in this little tractor.  I could have bought 8 complete tractors with that money by now!Big smile
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 9:52pm
So true, but she's going to be one heck of a nice restoration when you're finished. Hope the machine shop gets that engine back to you soon.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic