This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My C Restoration (Update 9 July 16)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 9:10am
About the seal you destroy when pressing the axle out like DickL does. There is a axle grease seal in the housing behind the brake drum. The keyway holding the drum destroys the seal on its way out.
   If you don't have a B/C parts book you need to get one. ken
Sponsored Links

Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by BrianC BrianC wrote:

Well dad left us with his very first and last tractors, so they have sentimental value. The 1948 C I decided to fix up under a "whatever it takes mandate".

Tally so far parts and supplies from tires/wheels and sheet metal
to nuts and bolts and paint is $5340.

Currently spending money on the cultivator system, shanks and such.

And oh, did I forget to mention I didn't touch the inside of the engine, it needs rebuild. I figure that will be $2500.

The shop had been "raided" over the years by relatives. Not a single
tire changing tool could be found for instance.
I decided to "go for it" tool wise and buy air compressor and sandblast cabinet air tools and other tools, floor jacks... Tool total=$5700
Now under lock and key.

Time spent working I would estimate at 600 hours, countless trips to hunt for parts and tools and supplies and time on the web.

My idea of fun.

BrianC--Thanks for the story.  It's nice to hear of this because I know already that I'll have 8 to 10 grand in this little tractor.  Maybe a bit insane, but there sure is something special about making things this old run and look like new. 
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 6:18pm
Thanks to everyone for their positive comments (DickL, B26240, sugarmaker, shameless, stan IL&TN,Dseries4, PaulB, Steve in NJ, BrianC, Rasman57, ACJohn, and Ken in TX).  Sure helps to have some affirmation of money well-spent. LOL
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 8:13pm
Got a few parts back from powdercoat.  Maybe not the perfect color match for purists, but not bad.  The guards (fenders) have been patched and had a good layer of bondo on them.  They definitely look patched, but they are solid. 

Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 8:15pm
Also broke the other brake drum today while pressing it off the pinion shaft. I'm 2 for 2!
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 6:38am
Keep goin' Stevo you're doin' great man! Everything is lookin' nice. Don't worry bout' the correct Police. Every Tractor I have isn't 100% OEM especially the color. My body man has the formula that I use for color on my Tractors. It starts out as PO#1... sorta'.. LOL!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 7:06am
I'm impressed. What a challenge you took on there. How are you able to do it so fast? 
I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 8:33am
It's like TV. It went out for upholstery today and we got it back all done 3 weeks ago.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 11:21am
The bill for the powder coat will be through the roof...I think.  If you don't mind telling us?  There is a place close by that does it, I just wonder.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 2:55pm
TedJ,
It has been pricey, but I think worth it.  I had all the tin done first which cost me $225.  Realize that they mediablast everything first down to bare metal.  Then I had 31 pieces (in the photos above) done for $425.  He has the tranny case, final drives, and about 7 other pieces that should be ready Friday.  I'll let you know the final costs to powdercoat the entire thing.  I still need to get the wheels and rims over and a few odds and ends.  My guess is it will cost around $1500.  I guess buying a can of Tisco Prussian Orange for $68 doesn't look that badWink.  However, I figure the sandblasting would have been farmed out too.  So, it's all good. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 6:03pm
Front wheels and rims were tractor color . Rear rims were galvanized, not painted. You can powder coat them to look like galvanized steel.
I have plenty of extra good brake drums and other C parts. If your needing something else that missing, I may have it.

f your needing
sandman2234 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Ken in Texas Ken in Texas wrote:

Humm. With the hundreds of old Cs in pretty decent shape out there I would have been looking for something in more complete and better shape to restore. I do admire your spunk to take on something run that hard and put up that wet.
Make me a list of parts you know you need and I will assemble a pile of pieces on a pallet and we can figure a way to move the pallet from Texas to Florida by AC parts express.
   Sandman from Jax got some rare B fenders moved from YX to FL using AC express delivery.
   I have a good C tranny ready to go and final drives too if your interested. 12 cents a pound. I will toss in a extra Brake drum for free.
   Is your powder coater able to match PO#1. What us purist AC restorers notice the most is the wrong color orange. However. It's your C and you can paint it blue if you like blue.

Tractors in Florida don't tend to be as nice or plentiful as some I have seen in Texas or other places. I am pretty sure Steve looked at most of the available tractors within several hundred miles.
Those fenders got a really nice ride to Florida, and thanks AGAIN!
  Sounds like a good price on that C tranny!
     David from jax
A proud member of the Allis Express movement!
               Northeast Florida
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 8:08pm
I'm going with the creme color on the wheels.  I just loaded the wheels, rims, and weights in the pickup.  Will take them to the powdercoater tomorrow.  All of my rims were toast, I got some really nice ones from 1953CA.  Thanks Andrew!  Got a bunch of seals and bearings today too.  I hope to get the final drive assemblies rebuilt this weekend.  
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 6:44am
Wow! I think the powder coated parts look real good. Nice to have nice clean components to assemble! Great job!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 8:28am
wheels from a CA? I have both CAs and Cs The front wheels will swap ok. The rears on the other hand are way too different to just swap out either way. I'm afraid your putting your cart before the horse by powder coating the CA 6 hole wheels to fit on 5 stud C hubs. CA rims won't bolt up to c wheel centers either.
I guess you could fabricate 5 hole to 6 hole adapters to use CA wheels, wheel weights and power adjust rims on a C The bolt circle on the 6 hole CA is way bigger than on a C.
You probably already know this.
Why Cream? That cream wheels came later with the D series ACs
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 8:51am
Originally posted by Ken in Texas Ken in Texas wrote:

wheels from a CA? I have both CAs and Cs The front wheels will swap ok. The rears on the other hand are way too different to just swap out either way. I'm afraid your putting your cart before the horse by powder coating the CA 6 hole wheels to fit on 5 stud C hubs. CA rims won't bolt up to c wheel centers either.
I guess you could fabricate 5 hole to 6 hole adapters to use CA wheels, wheel weights and power adjust rims on a C The bolt circle on the 6 hole CA is way bigger than on a C.
You probably already know this.
Why Cream? That cream wheels came later with the D series ACs

Ken, I think he means he got C rims from the member known as 1953CA...
    David from jax

Northeast Florida
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 9:36am
Thanks Sandman. Now that I read the post again. I put my cart in front of my horse.
I better behave myself. Steve is PMing me for Pictures and SNs of the C "kit" tractor I have for sale. By the time he spends the 8 grand on the powder coated C he won't have anything left for another C "Restoration". I would like to see a guy with his talents "Restore" my C back to as close to AC factory original as humanly possible for allot less out of pocket expense. I'm pretty sure Bill Long would appreciate seeing a C as he remembers them rolling off the flat cars at his place of business.
Aren't C rear wheel weights rarer than CA? I don't thing I remember ever seeing any cast specific for a C.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 9:56am
Hubnut
   I have a extra set of real AC engine sideweight BUSHINGS to mount them correctly. Your cost will the shipping. Anybody else would be $10 plus shipping.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 5:25pm
Worked on the tractor some.  I think I should have chosen a better tractor to start with.  This poor thing has been rawhided!!  Couple questions.  The front spindle is ate up a bit, but the areas for the bearing races are okay.  Is this piece serviceable as is (see pic).  Also, notice the cover for the Ross box.  Is this the correct cover?  Looks too small. 
I found a hub that was cracked.  Just another example of the abuse.  Are the inner hub bearings pressed on?  I had to use the impact chisel to get them off.  They were toast anyway.  The pitman arm was REALLY worn.  I built the metal back up and polished it.  It works good in the unit.  Nice and tight. 

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 6:15pm
Looks like your poor old C needs lots more stuff than was on the first list you sent me............ I would replace those chewed up parts with better if it was me. To bad there are so many miles between us.

Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 6:29pm
Kenny,
I know. I know. Don't rub it in. LOL
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 2:12pm
Tore into the engine.  Looks like the crank may be cracked.  I don't know how deep it goes.  See pics.  Also, look at this pickup tube.  The engine was full of dirt/grit.  The crank oil holes were clogged.  The crank is scored.  Any advice?  Is this engine worth the effort?

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 8:54pm
I have 2 engines sitting just outside the fence if you want to look at the cranks in them. That is the only two I can think of that might have useful cranks in them, but no way to know till the pans come off.
David from jax
               Northeast Florida
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Hubnut Hubnut wrote:

Tore into the engine.  Looks like the crank may be cracked.  I don't know how deep it goes.  See pics.  Also, look at this pickup tube.  The engine was full of dirt/grit.  The crank oil holes were clogged.  The crank is scored.  Any advice?  Is this engine worth the effort?

Those are not holes and they are not plugged. They are rough in the bottom so they were not drilled. Those were cast in when the crankshaft was poured. The rods get oiled thru the holes in the rods.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 9:48pm
I will look to see if I have a hub available next time I get to the house.
David from jax
               Northeast Florida
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 10:05pm
I probably have crankshaft worth turning. It has a little light surface rust from sitting around with no grease on it. If I can remember which one it is, it had never been reground before. All I have to do is mic it right?
I may also have oil pickup or two on the shelf.
What does the cam and tappets look like? Oil pump?
I had a head rebuilt 2 years ago that I may not need.
Shipping heavy stuff to FL from TX gets costly.
If the block checks out OK build it.
Anybody making any runs from TX to FL in the next couple weeks?
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 4:23am
David, Kenny,
Thanks for the help.  I will see what the machine shop says about the crank.  It may be serviceable.  I think the head actually looks pretty good.  However, the machine shop is best to make that determination.

Dick,
Thanks for setting me straight on the holes.  They are filled with dirt!? 

structures View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 7:54am
Nice build!  I'm interested to see what the shop says about your crankshaft.  I think I'd take it in as well and see what they say.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 8:58am
Thanks structures.  I am going to have the machine shop look at it.  Anyone sell new cranks for these engines?  Just in case.  
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 6:46pm
Made a little progress today.  Got one of the final drive assemblies ready to reassemble.  Still waiting for a bearing and race. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic