This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My C Restoration (Update 9 July 16)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 7:09pm
Got a few more items added to the back half of the tractor.  The machine shop assured me they'd have my engine, head, crank, and flywheel back this week.  We'll see.  I ordered a Ross steering tool box, but it still wasn't right.  I had to do some trimming to get it to fit.  Colors are not correct--seems to be a bit taboo right now.  Oh well, my tractor.  I like it. 

Edited by Hubnut - 15 May 2015 at 6:33pm
Sponsored Links

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 1:17am
Hub, your shop is much too neat.  You are making the rest of us look bad, please mess it up a bit.  Thanks.

BTW, beautiful restoration job!

Edited by JohnCO - 10 May 2015 at 1:21am
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 6:32pm
Got my engine back today!  The head is done, block repaired, line-bored, crank turned 0.01 under (main and rod), and flywheel is flat. Now I just need to reassemble.  Like Christmas!

Edited by Hubnut - 16 May 2015 at 11:34am
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 7:38pm
Oh Boy!!!  Christmas come early!!!!  I can see this dude running by next week!  Have fun man. You're doin' one heck of a job on that see man!
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 8:50pm
Oh, by the way, I got my carburetor back from Steve in NJ and it looks like a work of art!  Thanks Steve!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 7:44am
HN,
 Wow this is looking good. The colors will work just fine! Your doing a great job! ( I do agree that you should clutter your shop a little more!:) Making me look like a slacker!)
That  engine will purr like a kitten! Your doing it right and the results will be awesome.
Have you gotten a new tractor lined up for the second build?
Great pictures!
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 8:58am
Chris,
Thanks.  I just rattle-canned the engine.  Not bad, but with our 80% humidity, it will take 3 weeks to cure.  Gotta run out for some plastigauge.  I hope with the line-boring I don't need to shim.  At least that's what the machine shop said. 
Steve
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 7:08am
HN,
You will have fun doing the engine. New parts, fresh gaskets, new paint, lots of specs, torquing everything. Nice!
Get us some pictures along the way.
Regards,
Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 7:14am
Started assembly of the engine.  After painting, I checked the main bearings for clearance.  The block was line-bored, so I assumed shimming wouldn't be necessary.  I used red and green plastigage.  The red is a wider range and I was getting 0.003 inches in all the bearings.  I tried the red plastigage and got a little better numbers (0.002, 0.0022, and 0.0025 for 1, 2, and 3, respectively).  All are considered outside specification of 0.001 to 0.002 inches.  However, I decided this is good enough for my old engine.  The rod bearings were much better.  They were: 0.0015, 0.0017, 0.0019, and 0.0015.  I am happy with these numbers.

I put the sleeves in and got all 4 pistons installed.  It went fairly smoothly.  I'm waiting on a ring gear, so I won't be able to put the engine on until then.  I hope to get rest of the engine reassembled today or next weekend.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 7:28am
Steve,
Wow great progress on the engine! Nice and clean! Thanks for the pictures of the engine build along the way. I think it will run fine with those clearances on the mains, but I am not the engine man. I think these engines ran for years much looser than that.
Your making good steady progress on the "C"! When is the first parade?
Regards,
 Chris
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 10:49am
Thanks Chris.  I summarized the money I have in it and it's a doozy!  I'll post a summary of the costs at the conclusion of the build.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 6:40pm
Finally got to some assembly.  Engine is now mated, head on, radiator on, front end--she's back on all four wheels.  Another weekend and I'll see if she runs.  Cry  I must admit, I'm a bit worried I got everything right and she works.  We'll see.  Thanks for all the help.

Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 7:25pm
She will be an attention getter for sure. I love it!
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 8:26pm
Thanks Dick.  I am grateful also for your help.  
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 9:35pm
Wow! After seeing all the trouble that these guys have with brake drums and their corresponding parts on the G's and this C, I'm beginning to wonder if my Ford is so bad after all..LOL. Brake drum removal on it was a breeze

Tractor looks great!!!  A lot better than my Ford for sure!! Why does your shop get to be so nice and clean when mine was a huge mess Lol ! CryCry

Edited by CrestonM - 31 May 2015 at 9:41pm
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 7:23am
I like being different, and that's different! I like it! The White and Orange look nice together. Keep goin' man, yer' almost done! LOL!
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 8:28am
Is there something special about those fenders? They don't have much curve to them.
GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 8:36am
Awesome build.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 10:52am
Looks great! Wish I could paint like that.
structures View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 3:23pm
great progress!
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 6:29pm
Thanks guys.  Correct fenders for the C.  Not paint, powder coating--I can't paint either.  Thanks Steve, I like the cream and orange too.  
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 7:54pm
Steve,
 This is going to be a head turner! Very nice clean build your doing on this tractor! Great pictures. Thanks for posting your progress. So is the tank and hood going to be white?
Regards,
 Chris
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 8:47pm
Chris,
Yes, they are.  I was waiting to reveal when I installed them.  You let the cat out of the bag.  I bought blue lettering for the hood.  I think it will really pop. 
Steve
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 8:44pm
Got the carburetor on this evening and threw the hood and tank on to see what it looks like.  I bought a muffler, but the hood hole is too small for it.  Doh!  I still need to install about 5 items (including OIL) before I can start her up. 

bigcountry48 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigcountry48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 11:06pm
Wow, looks great!! Can't wait to see a video of her running!
1950 B, 1952 pulling wd, and 1954 wd45
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 7:03pm
Got her fired up for the first time tonight!  No leaks so far--except a pinhole in the gas tank near the back belly.  I'll fix tomorrow with JBWeld.  She's only a hand cranker, so it took me about 10 cranks before she fired.  Oil pressure went immediately up.  I only ran her for about 5 minutes.  The fuel bowl was leaking too.  I've got a few more things to tidy up, then I should be able to test drive her.  Hopefully this weekend.  Thanks much to all members for the help and encouragement, but especially to Dick and Kenny for the help along the way.  I'll post some pics over the weekend of the completed tractor.
Hub
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 7:59pm
Hubnut. For Gods sake put a underhood muffler on your C please. Nothing as ugly as a big old tin can looking thing sticking above your pretty hood. Enlarging the hole will not be necessary with a under hood muffler. All the vendors stock new ones.
Glad to have a few of my used parts in your first Allis project. Kenny

Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 8:04pm
Kenny,
I did buy an underhood muffler.  I like the sound better too.

Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 8:31pm
Steve
The 12 at the end of the engine casting number would indicate cast in 1940. Very early 38 Bs were #9 later 38s were 10s. 39 were 11s and 40s 12s. Some room for overlap of casting date and use in tractors has to be considered. This formula works for Bs as well as Cs before WWII
Are you going to use electric start later. I would .
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 7:10am
Steve,
 Your Allis C tractor restoration is nearing completion. Thanks for taking us along for the ride also!Great pictures! Sure helped keep me motivated. Really looks nice with the orange and white color scheme too. Your right, the blue decals look very good on the white.
Hope it drives as good as it looks too!
I forgot to ask what brand of rattle can orange did you use? It look good.
Regards,
 Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic