Unofficial Allis Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yellow Jackets moved in.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whatscooking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yellow Jackets moved in.
    Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 6:19am
The little ones that build in the ground that sting like a base ball bat have moved into my wood shed. I got a can of hornet killer which did nothing to slow them down. All I know to do is wait till it gets cold and rip them out. Anyone know anything, other than gas, that I can use to get rid of them?

Edited by whatscooking - 20 Oct 2017 at 6:23am
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 6:27am
spray cans of BRAKE CLEANER ! you can shoot from a distance and NOT get stung !
cover up hole with dirt after sprayin gto trap them, keeps spray in too...

The spray FOAM version of 'bee/wasp' killer works well too. Wait til 2 hrs after dark, put nozzle tube deep in hole , spray till foam  'hills' up around hole. They get covered in foam, fly away and die....

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 6:28am
TNT! Well, just saying that before shameless gets the chance to, LOL. Darrel
whatscooking View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whatscooking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 6:33am
They have moved into the wood pile and have also in the loft of the barn I have some straw and they have made some sort of entrance nest looking thing coming from under the tin on the outside of the building.

Edited by whatscooking - 20 Oct 2017 at 6:34am
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 7:39am
burn that wood first in your stove. and foam the hole under the roof.
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 10:00am
I have used seven dust and had good results.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 10:17am
X2 on the foaming spray and on the Sevin dust. Make sure you get a good dusting of the Sevin at the entrance so they carry it in with them.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
JC(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 11:10am
Get a new can of bee killer... evidently the old one got froze?

He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 9:46pm
The cold will be slowing them down soon.
allis g View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 3:21am
I've used seven powder mixed with sugar , put it on an old pie tin. They go eat the sugar get the seven on them and carry it back to the nest.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 8:59am
I've got good apples to pick and can't get to them because of the sorry little cotton pickers.
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 4:01pm
Get some yellow jacket traps,, I think the attractant comes with it, but you can use anything sweet, pop, etc., even beer draws them............
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 8:29pm
This time of year, YJ's are looking for protein, to make overwintering queens.  Replace the bait, with a little leftover chile with meat, like the chile that comes on a chile dog, and it will attract them more than sweets...Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic