Unofficial Allis Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Classifieds
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

-WTB Snap coupler bale spear-

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: -WTB Snap coupler bale spear-
    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 8:58pm
Want a solid unit for either a d-17 or a CA that when installed on tractor the round bale is as close to the PTO shaft as possible ( thanks to Dr Allis information on this topic)
Sponsored Links

DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 8:40pm
Allis never made one.  Big round bales were not around when the snap coupler was being used.  Get your welder out.  You will have to make one.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '85 6080
Hunt4Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 9:02pm
Didn't expect they did.
Only have a mig welder...
Hoping to buy one already made
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 6:16am
Hunt4Allis,
 A mig welder and some material, you should be able to make one. I have the start of one if your interested. It is a snap coupler draw bar welded to a "U" shaped channel structure.
I have never used it or tried to attach it to a tractor. It might be able to be modified into a bale spear. Let me know if your interested. I might have a picture in the WZ thread?
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Ford Jubilee, IH TD6 Many IH Cub Cadets
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 6:22am
Lad Benes has one sitting on his trailer at the Allis Connection show in Middle Amana right now.  L&L Tractor parts is his business name.
AaronSEIA
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 6:35am
Middle amana?
Looked it up( too far for me😞)

Edited by Hunt4Allis - 21 Jun 2020 at 6:40am
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 6:48am
I'd forget trying to use the CA to move round bales just not enough tractor.For the D17
I would fabricate a very simple 3pt hitch adapter with very short arms to be able to use a
3pt bale spear. On a WD45 I welded a cat 1 drawbar cross ways on the WD drawbar for the 3pt arms to hook and used chains to hook onto the lift arms, whole rig came on and off the tractor in a couple minutes.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 7:08am
Yes after I wrote it I thought about it and the d 17 will be what I use I just need to figure out whether I make something or if someone has one that's reasonable price and not too far away...
I won't need it for at least couple months from now because our cows are on pasture...
NE GA Allis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NE GA Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 7:28am
Arc/stick welding would be best but you could mig it. What you will need to do, if possible, depending on location of where you are welding, butt welds you will need to grind down to make a “V” shape and fill it in. This should insure proper adherence of the welds to both work pieces. If you are overlapping you still may want to grind a groove in the base piece. 
Keeping Allis alive with:
2 B’s, 1 C, 6 CA’s, 2 WD’s,
1 WD45, 3 D15D’s, 1 D17

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 7:49am
Okay I'm hoping to see a couple pictures of these made so I know what they look like (how they're attached to make them as strong as possible)
And then there's the issue of finding the material/time to build it...
I'm guessing the spear portion of it would have to be at least four foot long of solid steel(not sure what grade of steel it would need to be to make it the strongest?)
bauerd44 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bauerd44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 7:14pm
Lad Benes is located in Wells, MN and can be reached at llacparts@gmail.com or call him at 952 290 1063.  He is in the AC parts business and goes all over with trailer loads of parts and implements.  Good guy.

Dale
Missouri Allis-Chalmers Club
CA Allis, 175 Allis, 185 Allis
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 5:43pm
So this topic went from me WTB( want to buy)
To "want to build"
So far I have a heavy built SC mounted on my d-17( was part of a SC rear blade that I'm repurposing 'hopefully into a SC bale spear'
Here's a picture of the fork lift base I have to build from)

I'm wondering how this will work being connected at the bottom SC and the top connected onto the lift arms?
I need this post moved to a different thread...( Farm equipment)
Thanks Matt 👍
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 10:51pm
I'd say when the lift arms are down as far as they will go, the spear should be at the center of your bales so you will have maximum lift that way.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 1:10pm
That's what I'm going after! I got my spear yesterday so I'll update on this topic when I get it done and test it out..
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 12:28pm
You must use a 3rd link to hold the top and lift only with the arms unless you pin through arm ends....snap latches won't lift AND pull
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic