Unofficial Allis Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wind woke me up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wind woke me up
    Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 4:42am
Heard what I first thought was the furnace kicking in, but after fully waking up, I realized it was the wind blowing like crazy. Looking outside at the trees leaning over, confirmed it. Had the box of my new old truck still up in the air from working on the transmission, so I went and let it down. Stepped outside, and man is there smoke in the air. Kind of scared me at first, cause I'd of swore it was close. Took a drive, and it must be coming from a long ways off. I don't know if there are still fires burning in Montana or not, or if it is something closer. Sure gives a person an uneasy feeling. I'm probably done sleeping for the night now. Darrel
Sponsored Links

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 7:53am
Ya I wish you'd keep that wind over on your half of the state. By the time I took kids to school it was so windy I'm beginning to worry about the top half of a grain bin I have strapped to the trailer out in the yard. It least if it gets away it'll blow into the south tree row
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 9:05am
Went to INCIWeb and saw two active fires outside Missoula along eastern edge of Bitterroot's Range, there are active fires all along the eastern Cascade range WA and OR.
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 9:47am
Very strong winds up to +90 mph with lightning here late yesterday afternoon and all night.  Started a lot of grass fires in southern Alberta and into Saskatchewan. That may be where the smoke is coming from.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 12:12pm
My daughter who lives in southern Alberta has been sending information to us about the extremely high winds and fires burning in the area where she lives. Nothing burning close by but all it takes is one idiot throwing out a cigarette while driving down the road to change that.
Jack of all trades, master of none
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 3:24pm
Darrel....if you are working on that truck with the box raised, make sure you put a post in there under the box to hold it up in case a hyd line bursts. that old of a truck, it could very easy, and they come down FAST! we've lost several nice people around here pinning them between the box and the frame. I wanna come up there to see you someday, but I want you alive when I do!
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 3:27pm
Radio news is sayin' at least four farms burned out in Cypress Hills area and a lot of cattle burned.  Fortunately, the high winds have died down some.  Still one fire out of control in Crowsnest pass area.
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 7:44pm
Wind woke me up about 3 this morning too. But I sleep like I am dead so I didn't think much of it and just rolled over and went back to sleep! Struggled to keep the pickup on the road on the way to work though!
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 12:03am
Had 65 MPH winds here last Saturday but with nearly 4" of moisture in the last couple weeks, fire isn't a concern, right now.  Supposed to continue to be in the 70's and 80's for the next week or more, finally nice weather!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 7:48am
Yeah John??  Nice here until Saturday,,,,,,,,,,,,MORE rain....THEN COLD!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 12:22pm
Jack of all trades, master of none
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 6:32am
Wouldn't want to get hit by that "tumbleweed" Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 7:41am
that's what happened to me one storm watch, cept it was about a 10,000 bu bin.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

that's what happened to me one storm watch, cept it was about a 10,000 bu bin.

Ya mean you got hit by that 100,000 bushel bin. ..? That clears up a lot of gray area. Lol. Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 3:04am
no..it crossed the gravel road right ahead if me, almost got me! it blowed and rolled about 3/4 mile til it hit a center pivot which it knocked the pivot over too.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 3:05am
I couldn't believe the bin stayed mostly round as it rolled all that way, usually they flatten out before that.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 5:24am
I remember. A big wind we got several years ago and traveling to the west side of the state afterwords I saw 12 center pivot irrigation wheels up ! Looked like a lot of work straightening out that mess!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic