This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 next? YES!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 45>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 6:41am
Joe,
Folks,
Dang you guys are good, and that's why its nice to have others looking over what the old man is doing! I will check that grease. It is for electrical connections, I may have used the wrong term? I will report back.

Are you making progress on your WD45?

We did a lot of EDM work in the shop where I worked but my job was to design the parts that could not be machined with conventional chip cutting methods. Gave the EDM guys something to do too!Smile

Humm fogged in with rain last night? Not sure I will get the painting completed on the old WD45 this morning? But I do have a steering wheel to install., and more fasteners to clean and prep.

Hope things are good in Orange Land!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 10:23am
Sugarmaker -- Oh wow, thanks so much for the detailed pictures of putting those hubs together. That curved washer ended up not going where I thought -- so it covers the big bearing and butts up on the non-curved side against the felt seal. Good deal, this is going to help me out a lot! Looks great. Also, interesting your felt washer is soft white looking. Mine is some sort of black felt looking material.

Everything looking good man!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 5:44pm
GG,
 Was hoping that helped you. And I hope I got it set up right. The book is not real clear on the direction of that cupped washer. I had it in the other way and it did not look right to me. It did not give the bearing any clearance. 

Folks,
On the starter I looked at the electrical stuff I used on the starter and decide to pull the starter again, cleaned it up and put some wheel bearing grease on the bell housing. Then re-installed the starter.

Painted hardware today and battery box. Have to get the bolts for the fenders and tool box. I also installed the steering wheel on the shaft. Ground the paint off the shaft to allow the hub to slide on. Used a large roll pin, and then trimmed the end. Touched up the paint on several items.

Just waitin for paint to dry!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 19 Jun 2019 at 6:17am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 8:58pm
Chris - sounds as though you are getting really close!
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 6:45am
Team Orange,

Dave, 
Close but the details are still waiting. Fluids, Frame rails, foot pads, hydraulic hoses, front bolster, quadrant levers, steering assembly, lights, wiring, gas tank, sediment bowl, grill, hood, fenders, seat, decals, wheels and tires, not necessarily in that order!.  I have a soft goal of July mid. Local tractor show at Sagertown PA. Pioneer Steam and Gas.

Was too pooped to post last night. Still finding and not finding parts to work on. Missing in action are the two pivot rod clamps for the governor/ throttle. I have a heck of a time with these parts. Lost one on the last tractor too? Will continue the search, but may have to find some good used ones? They go here.

I also realized that I dont have the correct drawbar portion for the snap coupler. The previous owner had cut a oval in the end of a second actual hitch portion. I may be on the hunt for one of those too? But for tractor pulls I use a modified drawbar anyway, so I will hold off on this for a while.

Looking at the traction booster. What would you do? The gage face is rusty. I can clean up the exterior. Anyone have a working used gage with a good face? I think the repo ones are in the $100 range?

So I assume this whole unit is a assembly? I have not taken one apart. 

Sediment bowl needs a serious sprucing up. I did get a spare one from my cousin. It was from one of the WD's that came from his dads' farm. 

I was able to install the PTO shaft. Have to get a shoulder bolt and lock nut. Doing the work to get this apart and installing a better output shaft was worth it, when it slipped together!:) 

Thanks for checking on me. 
Woo Hoo! Got most of the yard mowed yesterday. I spend about as much time fixing the mowers as mowing. I pull two 20 inch mowers to the left of the 42 inch Cub. They just dont hold up to the abuse. I wear them out in one season. Then try to keep patching them up for two more years! Now if I could just get motivated to weed whack!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 19 Jun 2019 at 6:48am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 6:56am
There WAS someone on here who rebuilt TB gauges - not sure who it was or whether he's still doing it. Definitely don't want to put that one back on this spiffy looking tractor! Good luck finding the missing pivots. Impressive list of the parts yet to go together - gives you some idea of what it took to set up the assembly line in the Allis plant!
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 7:08am
Dave,
 Yes I can begin to appreciate the assembly of these. They definitely did not paint parts individually! Way too much work!Smile
Regards,
 Chris
ac45dave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ac45dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 7:29am
Originally posted by Dave(inMA) Dave(inMA) wrote:

There WAS someone on here who rebuilt TB gauges - not sure who it was or whether he's still doing it.
If memory serves, I believe it was oldoug that rebuilt them.
54 wd-45gas ; 56 wd-45d N/F w/fact p/s ; 63 d-17 sIII N/F gas ; 60 D14 N/F ; 67 d-17 sIV N/F gas ; 63D15 sII W/F; 39rc#667 ; 2021 massey 4710 fwa ; gravely 2 wheel tractors
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 7:34am
ac45dave,
Thanks! I might need that!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 9:52pm
Folks,
Head down trying to get things done on this orange project when I probably should be working on something else. Have to be real careful at this point. This is when I usually have had enough and just need to get it done! Lots of assembly and paint chipping today. Trying to put long rods through tight holes with paint on them is not a good combo! 

Right frame rail in position:

Front bolster moved gently into location:

Was reminded this is not the easiest way since you have to work inside/ under the frame to get the steering u-joint connected.

left side rial in place:

Pulling the rail into position

Getting the front wheels mounted:

On the ground for the first time in a year

Steering is ok but its still not power!!
Will look at the rear rims in next few days. Rims will need expanded if a new set of 14.9-28's are going on them.

Regards,
 Chris

TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 12:58am
WOW... that's just, ...WOW. My hat's off to you, Chris!
Play Farmer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Play Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 5:16am
Nice work Chris!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 6:18am
Holy assembly, Batman! It's really looking like a WD45 now. Clap
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 9:03am
Folks,
 Thanks! Dave, Play farmer, Tim and all those orange folks out there! Still a bunch of moves to make and parts to round up. 
May take the rear tires to the shop for de-mounting. Doing exicting stuff like chasing the threads on the rear wheel studs and tapping the hub threads. Sure makes the assembly go together easier! 9/16-18 threads if I remember correctly. That seems to be the norm, My short term memory seems to be getting even shorter! Plus being easily distracted doesnt help!:)
Just bought a used carb on line. Looks like a WD45 carb, so will have a spare, or parts.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 20 Jun 2019 at 9:06am
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 10:20am
So ,should I plan a trip to Sagertown since I'll probably be off work?
frnkeore View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnkeore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 11:13am
That's already beautiful! Can't wait to see it finished.
Frank
1959 D17 Series I #24001+, '59 D14
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
Ferguson TO 35 Deluxe, Oliver 70 and 5 more.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 12:45pm
Goodness man, everything is looking good -- and I especially like the white wheels. I have two WDs, and I think if I ever get them painted, one of them is getting white fronts (grandpa had half of 'em as white when I got it in the mid-90s, assuming he had to steal the wheels from another tractor or something).

Waiting on a few more parts to show up by mail, including those wheel clamp lock nuts, so I can get back to rebuilding my front end. Going to punch out races and install new ones this weekend. Your pictures are going to be of great help when I put mine back together!

Also -- heard you say in another thread that you had engine issues with this one when you first got it? What was wrong with it when you took it apart?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 4:25pm
Folks who like these orange tractors,
exSW,
Yes would like to meet you! And if the money holds out I might actually get this tractor to the show in a month!
Frank your not the only one who wants to see it done!Smile
GG,
 The wheel colors are a carry over from some WD45 tractors that My dad had painted at local high school. Mid 1960's they came back with the look of the D series Allis tractors of the day. And I got hooked on the look!
This engine developed coolant to oil leaks. Not sure whether it was bad when I got it? or if it happens during my watch. Anyway block was cracked top and bottom between sleeves. 
Hence the extended thread as I attempt to do my typical "RCP process" (Refurb, Clean and Paint) on a tractor that was in bad shape in many areas. I guess these are the ones that need our attention the most!

Some random shots:

The rear wheels to be taken apart.

It just about fell apart: These had been reworked 3 years ago. Trying to come up with a plan to modify them for some 14.9-28 Crop Max tires.

Just current status: rain again today.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 20 Jun 2019 at 8:34pm
MDWilliams338 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 7:13pm
😳 Don’t do it Chris....deep breaths,don’t get rushed now😁. I just realized your 45 is a narrow and I’m in love with it....well I love everything AC with a narrow front but especially the WD’s.
‘42B,’45B,’48C,’51CA,’52CA,’69170,1935WC,1936WC,WD,WD Highcrop,WD45,WF,D10/14/15/17/19

It isn’t how you die.It’s what you live for.-Daniel Boone
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 8:55pm
Oh wow, a crack at the top and bottom of the block? How did you repair it? Brazing, or just new headgasket and put 'er back together?

Not sure exactly how it happened on mine, but you can just see what's left of the white paint on the wheels on this side of the tractor.

Other side is orange as can be, though.

Your work is looking great! No need to rush -- perfection takes time, after all!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 9:00pm
Folks with orange tractors torn apart,
MD,
 Thanks! I had a urge today and stopped and went and got the correct parts rather than 'clugging'  something up! 

GG,
 Yea you have some of the same look on your tractor. 
My block was junk. I had a replacement WD 45 block setting in the corner. 

Fluid (oils) all in place. I did use hydraulic fluid in rear and hydraulic reservoir. 

Got two of these rotating rod locks ( next to the washer) from Gary G! Thanks!
The one I found was too big in diameter and rod size.
Made a couple new set screws from some 1/4-20 hex bolts.

While at Gary's we got to compare WD (left) and WD45 (right) shifters. Not sure what features in the transmission makes these so different?

Weather check from back deck. Fogged in!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 20 Jun 2019 at 9:06pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 9:21pm
Holy cow, I had no idea those shifters were so different underneath. I notice that my original "curved" late WD shifters taper down to a point at the end of the curve but I hear that all the replacement ones are thick up to the tip where the black plastic knob goes. How does your WD-45 shifter look up by the curved handle?

Other than adding a 2nd pin, did you do any welding build up of the tip that goes into the transmission of the shifter? Or any work on the rails of the transmission itself?

Edited by garden_guy - 20 Jun 2019 at 9:21pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 8:20am
GG, Folks,
I did weld up the tip of the shift lever and hand work back to spec dimensions. 
Also welded up one of the slots for the side pin and repaired. 
These are normal wear areas. 
I have not repaired any of the shift rails. Mainly because I don't know how bad they really are. Would need a good one to measure areas. Haven't heard much about repairing the innards? Maybe the shifter is the wear item in the design?? 

Curved 45 shifter tapers to a round knob on handle end. I have not seen a replacement 45 shift lever? The rubber knob gets pushed over the knob.

The reason we were looking at these is that Gary wanted to replace his WD lever with a WD 45 lever for ease of shifting (reach). Doesn't look like that's going to happen without cutting and welding!

BTW your rear tires look pretty good on that WD! 

We are currently in "tire" negotiations right now with my finance manager! Its not going good!Smile We will see. I have my little heart set on a new set of those Crop Max units for this tractor! Cant let the Grandson have all the fun. 

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 21 Jun 2019 at 8:30am
sploke View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sploke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 9:53am
What kind of paint are you using for this tractor?
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 2:36pm
Wow,
I haven't been on for awhile. That tractor is really coming together.

ON the starter mine sits out like yours. I guy at work rebuilds them and put a new nose on mine. May have made it longer, I don't remember. I know they use these starters on several different tractors. I think there's even a John Deere with the same starter.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 9:07pm
Folks, 
sploke,
I am using Sherwin Williams Acrylic enamel with hardener. The paint works and flows good when the gun and operator are working well! I would not recommend that brand. They did not have the paint code for Persian Orange #1. They had a code but when mixed it looked like PO#2. They had to custom mix to match the inside of a powder coated battery box lid that I had, which I felt was reasonable close to PO#1. Hoping my eyes are good enough that it will look ok?

Dave,
Thanks for the feed back on the starter. Seems there are several variation of fit. Time will tell! It did work prior to the tractor being torn down, for reasons I can hardly remember now!

Folks,
I am not 100% tonight. Tried the new Bad Boy zero turn mower at the tractor show grounds and made myself sick as a dog. ( Motion sickness ) I will not be able to run that machine. Too bad, as I was just getting the hang of it and it mows like crazy! I even got stuck and had to pull it out. The sign of a old farmer! It will be back to the 60 inch woods under the Super A and the 60 inch Swisher tag. Someone else with have to run that circus ride!Smile

The WD 45 project needs more fasteners painted. Also the side rails sanded then painted again they are very rough, lots of touch up areas on steering and control levers, plus the hood if I feel real foxy.
How come you can't see the defects till the paint is on!

I did check with Sandy Lake and will get some additional parts. both clips and brackets for the distributor, and a new Delco tag for 12 volt. Also will order a new traction booster gage. Brenda said they have not had any negative feed back on the ones they are selling. Not a cheap date. But that old crusty one will be set aside. 

Still negotiating with the finance manager on those Crop Max tires too.

Thanks for checking in on me. I know this thread is out of control. Just hang on a little longer and it will be over soon.:) Dang, forgot about electrical and lights too! Then there's that new engine start up ritual. Ok this may take a few more posts!Smile

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 9:35pm
We're looking forward to the rest of the story, Chris!
WC, CA, D14, WD45
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 9:21am
Good luck with 'The Finance Manager' Chris!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 8:49pm
Thanks, I think the left rear tire on both my tractors were purchased new in the mid-90s. They've stayed really well. I think the right rear on my plowing tractor will be the first one that needs replaced, as it has the weakest tread of all (but as long as she'll plow in 2nd gear, I'm holding off!).

I purchased a replacement 45 shift lever for my '53 WD, but it is in a box in my folk's basement somewhere. I'll have to dig it out. The one on my tractor kept letting me get stuck in reverse and it has a cobbled straight looking shifter and the original one is long gone.

Good luck on those tire negotations, lol!

I've been slow to make progress on my project, other than ordering those wheel clamp lock nuts. But I did get the bearings hammered out and the parts all cleaned up finally.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 9:12pm
GG,
Your making good progress. When I get things cleaned up I feel beter. Now why cant I do that with my bench and tools??Smile
Folks,
Not sure what the name of these little barrel clamps are but lets call them little barrel clamps. I got these from Gary down the road and they are going to work just fine! Nice to have friends with Allis tractors too!

The afternoon was great weather, cleaned, sanded and painted till I ran out of paint as the last parts were coated. Here I had to mask/ cover so I could paint the tops of the frame rails and the steering shaft. ( I jacked the tractor up to allow me to turn the wheel and get shaft painted)

I also block sanded the hood again and shot another coat of orange on it. I like it better, so Its going to stay. No its not very straight but good enough for a old tractor. 

I got my steering wheel form Sandy Lake and scuffed it then shot it with rattle can clear.

I did get a hint from the "CFO" that those old tires aren't going to look good on that nice tractor. Smile We will see how this plays out. I do know that grandson Nic is getting good traction at the pulls with the new meats on his WD that has not had any engine work in 20 years. So if this old 45 runs, its going to a few antique pulls in the area too. 
I have scuffed and painted the wheel brackets with PO#1 (special pumpkin) to match this tractor. The wheel centers need cleaned up and shot with Rusteoleum antique white. I have examined the rims and have a plan to expand them when I get the tires off. Will need to get the steel strip. Then its just cut the rim apart and fab in a extension. Easy Peasy! I will have pictures if this happens.

Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedules to pop in a see what the heck blew up today in the Land of Orange! 
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 22 Jun 2019 at 9:20pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 45>
  Share Topic