Unofficial Allis Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transmision Rust Removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmision Rust Removal
    Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 3:43pm
I have a three speed tranny (tower shifter) of unknown make  but a smaller unit that has been sitting a long time. I would like to get it freed up and use it for speed selection on my drill press however the inside is rusted up big time.  Is there any hope of getting it useable with Evaporust or similar product? If so I plan on useing new bearings in it or do you guys think it's just a wast of time and I shoul throw it back in the junk pile.   Thanks  Mark
Sponsored Links

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 8:49pm
You won't know till you try.I can't throw anything with possibilities away. Evaporust or submerged electrolysis.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 8:59pm
I'd tear it down to see the extent of it then at least flush it with kerosene and either replace em all now or as they go out depending on what they look like but I would try saving it if possible and within reason. Unless you're using your drill press for dental fillings I wouldn't think it catastrophic for it to be down a few days at a time.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 9:00pm
I would take it apart if possible, then put the gears / shafts in an electrolysis drum for a couple days and eat off the rust...... wire brush them when done... should be OK with new bearings.... your not building a race car.
Trump Is Not A Lib or Conserv, He's a "Pragmatist." (someone who is practical and focused on reaching a goal. Has a straightforward, matter-of-fact approach and doesn't let emotion distract him or her
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 9:01pm
realize that most manuals have ratios of approx. 3:1 , 2:1 , and 1:1 ....... is slowing it down 1/3 speed adequate for the usage ?
Trump Is Not A Lib or Conserv, He's a "Pragmatist." (someone who is practical and focused on reaching a goal. Has a straightforward, matter-of-fact approach and doesn't let emotion distract him or her
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 6:09am
hmm why not grab an old lawn tractor tranny ?
Peerless made them 6 or 7 speed gear trannies  AND reverse !
They are dang near bullet proof..

might be  viable option ?

hate to think of the time needed to rebuild a car tranny...

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 6:36am
Jaybmiller you gave me a good idea there, I have a couple of junked out lawn tractors one with hydrostat.   The drill press is a 24" Cincinnati with six different feed rates and a three inch drill capacity. It's a great old machine but was converted from flat belt to V belt and is set up for just one speed which is slow. I would like to be able to simply change speeds to somewhat faster without a lot of work and think a transmission of some type would work. Now I think I will drag one of those lawn tractor trannys over to the machine and see if it's doable, Thanks guys!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic