Unofficial Allis Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

trailer ideas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trailer ideas
    Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 5:38am
I am thinking of buying a trailer down the road. Looking for suggestions on what to consider. The biggest tractor I have is a WD-45. I was thinking of maybe a 7k car hauler. I don't plan to use it much. I will be pulling it with a F150. 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 6:09am
Well, it works for me.....
Mine is old, only 16' deck boards and easily hauls dead PikUps to the scrapyard and the occasional D-14 to neighbours farm. E-brakes will be on front axle, get both if possible makes it easier  for stopping. Cancel the OD when hauling heavy stuff( yeah THAT is in the manual...)
ADD backup lights to trailer, 2 up front , 2 at rear. Easy 7th wire is in the cable. You'll figure out why they are useful AFTER backing up a narrow lane,at 2AM....sigh
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 6:11am
I bought a good used car hauler last year. cheap, 16' deck and 2' beavertail with slide in ramps. Needed tires and fenders but still in quite good frame condition. I have installed diamond plate fenders, new tires and added a spare, will need two floor boards(2x8x16) then will repaint and will look good as new. My 180 rides well on it with the bush hog attached and does not seem to affect tongue weight. 2 5/16 ball 4 wheel electric brakes made by Trailerman Trailers.
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 10:04am
I've got a 16' car hauler and getting ready to upgrade to an 18' with at least 10k axles, brakes and with good trailer tires (vs. car tires).  Just feel the car hauler is maxed and I also have heavier tractors that I'd never put on it.  I always question the 'hold-up' ability of those car tires...... And, Jaybmillers idea about back-up lights is a good one!  Going to try that and would also like good running lights that show up well in the mirrors when running at night.

Edited by Scott B - 31 Oct 2017 at 10:06am
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 5:59pm
I bought a 20' 2-3500 lb. axels, Legend 9 years ago. I would not recommend one to anyone.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 6:06pm
that is the big thing is wheel size - 8 lug mount so can run tires heavy enough to carry loads - both axles need brakes in many states to be legal - 
 I run 16" LT tires 235x75x16 tires on my tri axle trailer - and on the heavy trailer - smaller tandem of son has 15" and finding tires at reasonable price is the big thing , then rims don't match tire load is other problem. 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 7:01pm
Dusty why would you not recommend the trailer? Is it the brand of trailer or the size of the trailer? I do have a 10k equipment trailer I can use if I want but for convenience it would be nice to have my own.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 7:09pm
the trouble with a 16 ft twin 3500# axles is the trailer is then RATED to haul 7000#... consider the trailer weight is 2000# or a little more, that leaves about 5000# for the load.  You could haul a small pickup or a small D series tractor .... most anything else would be a little overload.......

I traded ours off and got a 18 ft with beavertail and two 5200# axles... That's 10,400 # total. With a 3000# trailer, that's 7400 # rated load. We use it to haul a 7500# Bobcat ( short distance, several times per year) and misc 1/2 - 3/4 ton trucks as needed. .... In Illinois you can get a  "under 10K" plate for reasonable $$.     I have  16 inch , 6 bolt rims with 2540 # tires ( x4).

Edited by steve(ill) - 31 Oct 2017 at 7:13pm
Trump Is Not A Lib or Conserv, He's a "Pragmatist." (someone who is practical and focused on reaching a goal. Has a straightforward, matter-of-fact approach and doesn't let emotion distract him or her
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 7:17pm
Trump Is Not A Lib or Conserv, He's a "Pragmatist." (someone who is practical and focused on reaching a goal. Has a straightforward, matter-of-fact approach and doesn't let emotion distract him or her
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 7:18pm
Around here seem nobody thinks of the trailer weight,, 2 , 7000 lb axles, good for 14000,,,, see loads going around the blacktop roads with tires having a bad lean
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 7:22pm
Yea, I use to have a 69' 3/4 ton Chevy with overload springs. Rated at 8800# GROSS... I use to tell guys it was not overloaded until you had 9000# of sand in the bed !
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 9:02pm
Had a 7000 lb car trailer, worked good for WD, then got skid steer and a 12000lb rated trailer, sold the other one and the heavier one is just more stable, four wheel brakes instead of 2.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 9:20pm
I've been hauling my WD 45 one a 2 3500 lb axle car hauler for many years. Trailer wieghts 1500 lbs empty deck is down between the axle so the ride height is very low. I have three detachable ramps rarely use them . Mostly I haul the tractor and mower to the church back up to the curb at the edge of the parking lot and back off. When done just drive back on. Tractor with one set wieghts is 4200 lbs 500 for the mower 1500 for the trailer. I tow with a half ton suburban. Trailer has15" LT tires on it. I've hauled a tractor from Missouri to ND. For a bigger tractor I'd need a bigger trailer. For a bigger trailer I'd need a bigger truck. If I need to move my 190 I drive it or borrow a truck and trailer from the farm.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 12:12am
buy an enclosed with a ramp door, then when you go to shows you can sleep inside on fold up beds and not hafta find a potty so far away!
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 7:49am
I bought the trailer to haul my A.C. tractors & equipment on plus we wanted to take our car with us to Florida with us behind our motor home. 
The first winter, after arriving to FL, I didn't like the way the trailer sat when hitched to our motor home. Because the hitch on the motor home is rather high, the trailer ran high in the front. So I was thinking about moving the axels from the top side of the springs to the bottom side. I was looking at how hard of a job it would be, and discovered that one set of u-bolts had never been tightened, I had to replace them in FL.
Let me say that I never over loaded this trailer.
By the time we got back home to MI. The fenders, which were welded to the 3" C-channel frame, were starting to tear off. The frame flexing and starting to bend over the axels.
I moved the axels to the bottom side of the springs, welded some flat stock to the frame from the front to the rear of where the springs attached to the frame.
I also rebuilt the fenders and bolted them on so they are rather to remove if needed.

Also a friend talked me into using a weight distribution hitch, which was a very good thing.

Dusty

917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 8:02am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Hi Steve, My little 16' is set up the same, 15" load range E tires six lug 5200# axles but the tires drop it back to 9000#. I have since replaced the jack and fenders.

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 8:08am
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 8:14am
re: trailer capacity
 a trailer with 2 - 3500# axles can carry 7700# , IF it's got an A-coupler up front.
I learned this 'trick' from the RV trailer guys, totally legit. Read the build plate.
ALL the utilty trailers I make , I weld on the A-coupler. It actually is a better, easier design( 2 6' lengths of steel for tongue, makes mounting a storage box easy too.
TIRES are the big factor. ST 15" ones are rated for 1700# when filled with air...
My current build has a 4" drop axle, so deck is about 13" off the road instead of 17. Makes loading ATV or lawn tractors easier AND is hauls down the road better as the CofG( Center of Gravity) is lower.

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 4:16pm
Ted I saw the second one. Since my truck has a topper on it I have to stay with a bumper hitch style. I am just in the thought stage right now but I am keeping my eyes open. All the replies have been most helpful. 
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 11:16pm
If that gooseneck was closer, it would probably be in my yard tomorrow!
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 3:09am

Folks,
 I have this car hauler that is 16 foot deck and 2 foot beaver tail. Three ramps, center one is removable. I really like the deck height for getting on and off and chaining down the tractors. I use this for the WD series tractors and the D17 which is around 5200 lb. It works OK but some days I would like to have larger carrying capacity and be able to haul two tractors to local pulls. I guess this was my starter trailer. Just up graded the truck so I have the towing power for a bigger trailer too. I paid around $1800 (used) for it and the winch. Winch is housed in the aluminum box at front of deck. Did a little work on it and a coat of paint. Converted the ball hitch to a pin hitch to match the truck.  I did have to put on new U bolts due to the nuts rusting away! I like pulling a goose neck.  I really like the idea of back up lights too! I need those! Where do you normally mount them? These trailers work good. good luck finding the trailer that will do the job for you.
lots of used ones out there. most need some type of attention!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 02 Nov 2017 at 3:14am
D17, WD45, WD,
Ford Jubilee, IH TD6
Many IH Cub Cadets
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 5:06am
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 5:55am
You can transfer weight to the tow vehicle - a hitch should place about 10 to 20% of load onto hitch . So the 2 3500 axles would be 7000 - 2000 trailer weight + that transfer weight . 
 Odd one DOT inspector told me max load of trailer is as a stand alone unit - no weight transfer allowed to tow vehicle / unless running a semi-trailer license plate - then all load is transferred to tow vehicle for license plate tax ( it's all about the taxes )
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 2:13pm
I agree with truckerfarmer, that is a GREAT deal on a gooseneck!!!
Heck, I'd come over and help ya take that stupid topper off whenever you needed the trailer.  (or I did LOL)
Once you use a gooseneck, you'll NEVER WANT another bumper pull.
If I had a truck........it'd be in my back yard!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 7:52pm
Thanks for the offer Ted!
NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 8:09pm
I have an H & H, 24 ft total with 20 foot hauling capacity.  It is rated for 9, 995lbs from the factory, I'm told to keep it under the 10k thresh-hold.  It weighs a little over 2k so it can carry appx 8k load.  It hauls like a dream.  I built up some sides for it, 2 foot high and haul a heck of a lot of firewood with it.  Brakes on both 5k axles.

I highly recommend an H & H, great trailers.  I don't use it much anymore, I paid I think 4,200 for it new, would sell it for 3,000 if interested.  I'm not trying to sell it very hard so if not interested, that's cool.  A little more snow and it will not be going anywhere til spring.
1937 WC S#45863, 1950 WD S#92229, 1955 WD45 S#205467, 1957 WD45 S#235629
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 10:37pm
shameless dude-buy an enclosed with a ramp door, then when you go to shows you can sleep inside on fold up beds and not hafta find a potty so far away!

So you cut a hole in the floor for the "relief tube"?
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 11:32pm
naw...John....you use one of them porta potty's, then you seal the bag you dump in and take it over to fertilize the neighbors plants! Darrell G....you gots flowers?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic