This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rim repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rim repair
    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 7:25am
Good work, and nice looking tractor.
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 1:32am
Bruce<
Rim work really came out nice! I like the look of the coating. Very smooth. I may have to try some of that. Rim rust is a problem with have to address at some point. Thanks for the photos! Very good looking D17!
I need to go spend some quality time with mine too. 
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 28 Jul 2020 at 1:32am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Play Farmer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Play Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 3:37pm
I sure bled this job for long enough! Between my real job and being so darn hot this one wasn't high on the to do list. 
I loaded it up and brought it home on May 31st;

By June 30th I finally had it unloaded, dismounted, and off to my brothers house for some plasma cutter work;

As bad as it was we decided to lay in a bigger piece, overlapping it, and welded in on both sides. I should have taken more pictures - I didn't, sorry. After a little welding and working, I coated the inside with Loctite PC 7227 Brushable Ceramic. This stuff is amazing and virtually indestructible as it's being used. It will **NEVER** rust there again. The stuff works well and leaves a glass smooth finish. Tube wear is not an issue.

Last Sat**day I finally got it mounted back up. Here was the rotted out part;

The new location for the valve stem;

Back together;

And back outside ready to work...

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 5:08pm
Mike,
 Those rims and tires look good on the D17! I agree with Ted. A full paint job is in order too! :)
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 8:12am
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

I hate to rain on your parade Mike, but that 17 looks terrible now.....when are you going to start painting the WHOLE thing?  LOL  I like your red 'tool bench' LOL!  Did you run out of beer yet?

Ted, don't hold your breathe on a whole paint job! Have other bigger, more important projects I need to get started on.

That red work bench has supported many an Allis project, and will continue to do so until it quits moving, kind of a quest at this point.

Still have plenty of that good beer, I ration it. Drink Iowa domestic so I don't run out of the good stuff before it's safe to go get more!

Edit; While swapping the tires I saw A LOT of grease/dirt build up on the final drives. That makes me think a look in the pans is in the future and possibly a seal replacement or two. Have done one or two on a WD, not fun but not horrible either.

Edited by IBWD MIke - 26 May 2020 at 8:30am
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 12:30am
I hate to rain on your parade Mike, but that 17 looks terrible now.....when are you going to start painting the WHOLE thing?  LOL  I like your red 'tool bench' LOL!  Did you run out of beer yet?
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 8:31pm
Got the tires/wheels mounted today. See it I can get a pic or two to post.
Play Farmer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Play Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 8:34am
Glad I popped in today and saw this post. A rusted rim is why my D17 has been sidelined. Just last night I put a battery on the charger thinking I might try to bring it home today.

I'm not 100% sure what size the rims are but I might be looking for a patch piece.

And not to be "that guy" I also think I might have a good donor thats a little smaller too I'd be willing to donate/share to anyone needing a piece.

The corn and beans are in, time to get to work getting the D17 back in the rotation.

Edited by Play Farmer - 25 May 2020 at 8:35am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 6:14am
Mike,
 Great job on the wheels! Yes one of my phobias, Wheels and tires!:) You have some awesome farm land around you too. Weather is nicer! Those wheels are going to look sharp on the D17.
Thanks for the update, and pictures too.
Regards,
 Chris
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 9:44pm
Good progress today, got the weights off and paint on the centers. One needs one more coat, may get these things mounted tomorrow.Getting the weights cleaned up and painted may take awhile. Also working on another 'rim project', this one for the 720. Just need to clean up and paint. Going to mount a set of 33-12.50-15's on them when I get them bought.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 10:07am
Things have picked up a bit. Got the second center cleaned up and primered, also got some (white) paint on the inside of the first. Originally was going to be orange but looking at the 17, it's centers are white and I want to keep it that way. The locks that are going on are orange, so this is going to look like one of Sugarmaker's projects. (Except that the rest of the tractor's paint won't)! With a little bit of luck maybe I'll get the rest of the paint laid down today and can get them assembled tomorrow.

Starting on power steering on the 'Wide Front' today, best to keep several Allis projects in process at once!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 8:20am
Got a little more done on this, cleaned up one wheel center and got some primer and paint on the inside. The outside has some battle scars I want to smooth out with a flap-wheel before paint. Raining here today so may get more clean up done.

When I started this I was going to put these wheels/tires on my NF 45. Have changed my mind, they will be going on the 17. Not a big fan of the long-bar short-bars that are on it now. Also that 45 already has fantastic rubber on it.

On the down side? The wheel weights on that 17 will now need a fresh coat of paint and handling those things isn't much fun!

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 7:36pm
Mike,
 Those rims and tries look great. Maybe someday a set of 16.9-28's on one of the WD series tractors just for fun!
They would work very well on your 17 also.
Thanks for the update!
Regards,
 Chris
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 8:36am
Update time once again, finally! Took yesterday off work because of the nice weather. Had the rims painted and ready and a new set of tubes. Got the first one put together and then managed to start the second one going the same way! Had to pop it back off the rim and turn it around. You can see in the one picture the flat for the valvestem that I 'embossed'. The embossing process involved a rosebud on the torch, the horn of an anvil, and a big ball peen. Even cherry red that rim was tough! Think I could have centered the hole a little better, not sure what happened there. Where I'm working the D-17 is 'watching' me. I started this project thinking these wheels/tires were going on my NF 45. Now I'm torn, they would look awfully good on that 17! They will probably end up on the 45, at least for a while. Seems like Eldon moved tires around quite a bit? Need to get the centers cleaned up, painted then the changeover can commence.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 7:14pm
GG,
Yes that rim will not get better. New rims are available. It may run a long time as it is too.
Regards,
 Chris
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 2:59pm
Dang, such great work!!

I'm afraid this rim on my WD is about to this point right now:

Unfortunately I can't weld nor have anything to unmount the tire with!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 12:37pm
Update time, (finally). Been kind of slow on this project, it is kind of low priority. Haven't got the centers cleaned up yet but did get the wheel wire brushed yesterday. Too windy to do any painting and I need to emboss a flat for the valve-stem. Getting closer.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Mikez Mikez wrote:

Hi Mike sorry I didn't respond. It's a 13"-26" rim

Ok, I had completely forgotten about this.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 9:18am
Hi Mike sorry I didn't respond. It's a 13"-26" rim
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 10:10am
Mike,
You got it! Kids, grand kids, and great grand kids in the sugarhouse making syrup!

Thanks for checking on me!

Regards,
Chris
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Mike,
 Looking very sharp! Thanks for the update. It may prompt me in to doing something orange related too. ( Oh yea I did call and order a new set of 14.9-28's for the WZ, so I guess that is something!:))
Regards,
 Chris

Chris, haven't seen you on here a lot recently. Busy in the sugar shack?
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 2:42pm
When I first got into the tire business in 1986 we could buy the rim hole weld on part. I started out with 50 of them and sold them all. They make a nice rim repair without causing tube problems.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 1:08pm
Mike,
 Looking very sharp! Thanks for the update. It may prompt me in to doing something orange related too. ( Oh yea I did call and order a new set of 14.9-28's for the WZ, so I guess that is something!:))
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 17 Feb 2020 at 1:10pm
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 10:44am
Small update; Got all the locks painted and assembled. Now if the weather would cooperate I could get the centers cleaned up and painted.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 9:07am
Ted, I hope to make it this year, should probably be looking for a motel room now. If I bring a tractor, and I would like to, it will probably be the 'Wide Front', with model 63 plow. Last years one day whirlwind trip didn't give us time to even watch any field demos let alone go out and plow.

Small update on the project; made it out to the farm and found all the rest of the parts I need for this. Got the 4 eccentrics sand blasted, working on getting things primered now. The two wheel centers I found will need some serious clean-up before paint but that will have to wait for better weather.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 3:16pm
Looking good Mike!!  You going to haul it to Hutch this year?  Are YOU coming to Hutch again this year?
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 1:47pm
No. That's just the recommended rim width. Pullers have been putting tires on wider than 'recommended' rims for years. Those are on 12" rims, the 16.9s are going on 13s, recommended is 15 but Allis put them on 13 for years. Have a set that way on my D-17, look fine. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 1:01pm
Mike,
 Those tires will look real good on any W series tractor! Your rim work and parts are going to look good! That's a good looking WD45 too. So that is the front end that can be easily changed to a wide front. I see it says 14.9-28 on 13 inch rim. I have some of my rims out at 14 inches. Think there is any down side to that? Side wall support issues?
Regards,
Chris
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 11:53am
Chris, here is approximately what the tractor will look like when done. This the 'Wide-Front' when I redid the front end with a corn-picker pedestal. Wheel weights will be different. Also a shot of the tires headed for the 57. Recently got a broken bolt out of a spare manifold for that one, has a nasty exhaust leak. Really want to start making some progress on that old girl.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 11:47am
So I was digging around in the basement today and found some parts that will help with this project. My plan is to clean and paint another set of centers and hardware. Will have to check my inventory at the farm for the other 4. These have all been sandblasted and somewhat painted.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic