FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

any ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: any ideas?
    Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 4:09am
mine are the step up from that. but still no ground wires running to each outlet or fixture boxes.
Sponsored Links

Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 3:57am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

what are you talking about knob and tube? the single wires with the ceramic insualtors?

Yep
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 11:06pm
I have florencent/LED/incandence (spelling), all in the house.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 10:58pm
mine are 2 wires inside a made of something sheave, consists of a white wire and a black wire, cept this one 3 way, then it's a red wire and a black wire along with another with 2 black wires.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 10:56pm
what are you talking about knob and tube? the single wires with the ceramic insualtors?
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 5:18pm
Knob and Tube wiring is actually quite safe IF you don't over load it and the 'grounds' that we now have( the bare copper or green wires) do NOT carry power.
LEDs do NOT have to be grounded unlike some FL tube units( yeah, read the ballast for instructions...)
Knob and tube is supposed to be legal here in Ontario but INSURANCE companies force homeowners to upgrade. This can easily cost 5 to 10,000 Canucks.

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 4:53pm
I will say to clear the record, IF you have the old knob and tube type wiring, that can, and might be a issue?  That didn't have a ground wire, it was only a 2 wire type thing.  I am not sure if the LED lights need a ground or not?  I have hooked some up without and no issue, just don't tell the inspector/home owner! Ya will need a good electrician to figure out that old stuff like that, for it can and will get ya back!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 4:43pm
Do you mean knob and tube old?  If so, find another sparky! 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 4:15pm
licenced electritians here won't work on this, has the old wiring.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 9:10am
Why didn't I just learn to,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Call and electrician.......

"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 10:46pm
nope, I are still looking at the bare wires hanging outta the wall, will prolly work at it again tomarrow...maybe! the old lady.....oooops....I mean the loving wife said she was tired of this and that, and I finally told her I was tired of her being tired of stuff, cuz usually it all turns to chit! so i'm letting her suffer awhile longer!
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 7:29pm
Shameless has probably given up and hired a real electrician to fix that little old light fixture but he doesn't want to admit defeat on here.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 3:36pm
Shameless, did ya get to looking into anything yet on the electric issue?  Keep us posted.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 2:29pm
Going back to bed ain't going to fix anything.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:37am
i'm going back to bed!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:37am
I gots power from the breaker box. I know that cuz I made a pot of coffee this morning. the wall plug in's is on the same breaker as light! everything in the kitchen is on the same breaker cept the electric stove cuz that's 220. and the testers don't work in the wall outlets either (both testers)
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:16am
I just reread some of your past posts, and with your no contact tester test another HOT outlet somewhere to be sure it is working.  Did ya turn it on, and is there a battery in it?
Once you are sure that the tester works, test the black wire on the main switch area, the one above the panel box, you should have power, if not check the breakers!!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:14am
**slaps Dave for even thinking that I don't gots light bulbs in it** 2 wires in the box for the light fixture. both black. one had white lettering on it. the instructions for the light fixture said to hook one wire to the wire in the box that has the white stripe, I took it as the wire that had the white lettering? I don't remember which way the enter the box up there. I may take it back down and puts a single light fixture or a bulb socket on 2 wires up there while i'm trying to fix this.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:05am
When you hooked the light up, how many wires were there in the box, NOT counting the wires for the light fixture itself?  And if there were more than 3 wires, white, black, bare, maybe red, what general direction did they enter the box?  Might give us a better idea.  And I REALLY hat to ask this, but is there light bulbs in the fixture?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:00am
I gots the red wire on the single side on the black screw, the other 2 wires is both black. the only thing marked on the back of the switch is the common screw which is where I gots the red wire on according to the diagrams on the web. i'm just busy switching the black wires around and trying the switches each time I do. can this danged thing work with just one switch and i'll just puts a cover plate over the other? the light is between the 2 switches, i'm not sure which switch is #1 or #2. the one I call #2 is closest to the breaker panel, almost straight above it. so maybe that is the #1 switch?
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 7:42am
PAY ATTENTION or you WILL be SMOKIN!!
CALL DUSTY!!
NOW!!

Edited by Ted J - 08 Oct 2017 at 7:43am
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 6:33am
NO Shameless you DO NOT NEED A SMOKE !!! THAt is your first problem....

OK, can you take a picture of the switch boxes/wiring and post here? If not describe the 2nd box stuff.
The first one has 1 wire(Blk,Wht and 1 wire( Blk,Red, Wht). Assuming it's the one connected to fuse box... the blk-wht is the feed so that blk goes to the COMMON of the 3W switch. The other wire( 3 conductor) is the 'traveller' wire. It's red and blk go to the OTHER 3 way switch terminals (NOT the COMMON though). the 1st box ,both whites get tied together.
In the 2nd box, the COMMON of the switch feeds power to the light bulb, and both the wht of the 'traveller' wire and the wire going to the light bulb get tied together.

fuse box     1st box        traveller           2nd box        light bulb
blk---------common                             common-------brass screw
wht---------wht--wht-------------------wht--wht-----silver screw
                       --red--------------------red--
                        --blk--------------------blk--
On the 3w switches the COMMON should be marked or 1 colour.

hope this helps.
and
DO NOT SMOKE !!

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 2:26am
read the instructions on both, tried them both, neither one worked. PffffT! I figger i'll, well I did...attach the red wire to the single screw on the one side, and now will just switch wires til I gits something! geeeez,,,it worked with the 3 way switches for 64 yeears, and I've changed light fixtures 3-4 times and never had any problems til now. I STILL NEED A SMOKE!
JC(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 10:50pm
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 5:43pm
First off, did ya read the instructions for the testers yet?  Did ya use them yet?  Once you find the "feed" wire, then go from there.  Look on the 3 way switch, not all are the same, one screw will say common, and the other 2 MIGHT be a different color, they will be the travelers to the other switch.  A feed from the panel will be hooked to one common, and the wire going to the light will be hooked to the other common at the other location.  The neturals will be connected together/ should be the white wires. Not seeing your situation, every job is different. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 5:32pm
Les...I gots that POS washing machine set so I could plugs it in to an honest to goodness wall outlet. the other wall outlet (that is outside) is the one that fried...(prolly gots wet) it's still hanging out from the box outside, i'm sure it's a dead one now! i'll replace it on of these days. will prolly hafta paint around it to hide the burn marks tho! the old lady....ooooops....I mean the loving wife refuses to use the new washing machine now...guess i'll puts it ona sale somewhere. it works fine sometimes! on this light switch BS I change the wires around, walk back and forth switching both them on and off, then change another wire and do the same. I been writing down which way I wire it each time so I don't do the same thing twice. as I read on the web, the red wire goes to the single screw on the one side of the switch, that's the way all the diagrams show anyway! I NEED A SMOKE!
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 12:25pm
Boy I hope he makes thet phone call. If I remember correctly, he tried to burn the house down by usin an extension cord on thet washin machine out that on the porch an he had thet cord looped aroiund the house 3 times cause it was to long and plugged into an outside outlet and caught the outlet on fire!
I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 8:13am
Shameless, PM me your ph# and I'll call you and try to talk you through it.
What's most confusing is because the wire is romex and the white wire is allowed to be used a hot one when used with a switch.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 7:41am
Shameless, for a small price I can come to your place and fix it for you.

Retired, or retarded, Master Electrician.
Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 3:24am
Jest dont leave em layin on yer flat bed!

I thougt I PMed you thet story Joe!
I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic