This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Time Lapse of my Allis Chalmers Restoration!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bobforapples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time Lapse of my Allis Chalmers Restoration!
    Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 6:18pm
Hello there everyone,  this is my first Allis Chalmers tractor project.  I've used the search function in the forum to find solutions to many of the problems I've encountered thus far. I used a time-lapse function to compact the first portion of my project into a neat fast-paced video.  I want to thank everyone who posts in this forum for all the free valuable information!!  I plan to update this posting as I complete this project with my son.

Here's a link to the video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwQDeWdS1CQ

-Bob
Sponsored Links

Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 6:36pm
Welcome to the forum. That's a neat video. Thanks for joining to share this with us
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 7:56pm
Loved it!! Welcome to the forum.  That brake drum should be fine.  How many hours into what you showed? 
1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 7:57pm
Welcome to the forum! Your doing a great job on your C. Video is really neat. Super nice shop also. That’s going to be a nice tractor when your done. Can’t wait to see more.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
bigmoe View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigmoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 8:03pm
Great video!   You have the cleanest shop I’ve seen in quite some time. Best of luck with your project.
64 D17 IV
50 WD
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 8:21pm
WOW !! I really appreciate the effort you've put into the 'project'. Sure hope you've got backups of the video and be sure to treat your 'little helper' to a burger and fries for his assistance  !
I'm impressed with how well the 'needle descaler' (?) did  to remove paint. Any idea how long it took as it seemed like a very good way to get rid of paint!
Thanks for showing  us !
Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 8:35pm
Your little helper is what I Liked most.      MACK
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 9:41pm
How big of compressor do you have? I like that needle scaler! I don't like the idea of replacing my bearings and seals and then sand blasting.
In Search Of: 1958 Allis Chalmers D17 Diesel serial #9643D
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 6:11am
Looks like you are doing a good job!!   Keep us posted and thanks .   BTW you have a great shop.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 6:57am
That's a cool video. Never seen that done before.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 7:36am
NICE!!! Thumbs UpThumbs Up
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 7:56am
Thanks for sharing. The video record is a keepsake. Is your helper available to help me with my next project?
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
Cernunnos View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cernunnos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 8:43am
Enjoyed your video very much...the accelerated speed format makes it look like an easy job (sure it is not).  You really know what you are doing.
1951 CA, 1952 CA with cultivator, 20 Series 8' disc harrow, 2 bottom pick-up plow, forage blower, 2-row rear mounted drill corn planter, Allcrop grain drill, No. 80T sickle mower, MN No. 130 barge box
Dan Hauter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 10:54am
Great video!  Great project!  Very nice shop.  And a super great little helper!  Dan.
gh-in-oh View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gh-in-oh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 10:56am
I am with MACK.  The tractor is really cool.   The "little man"  is awesome.  
bobforapples View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobforapples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 7:58pm
Thanks for all the kind words everyone!!!

The needle scaler is a good alternative to sandblasting for some situations. There’s very little dust and no abrasive to find it’s way into everywhere. It’s about the same speed as your average sandblast cabinet. It doesn’t use much air, probably about the same as an air chisel. I have a 5hp 2-stage 60 gallon Champion compressor which is way over kill for that tool. I probably have 3 hours invested in de scaling the tractor frame.

The engine is ready for me to pickup later this week, and I hope to have a new update mid February.

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 8:04pm
Hay Bob thanks for the update,guess I better get one of them scalers. Looking forward to 'part 2' !

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by bobforapples bobforapples wrote:

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!!!

The needle scaler is a good alternative to sandblasting for some situations. There’s very little dust and no abrasive to find it’s way into everywhere. It’s about the same speed as your average sandblast cabinet. It doesn’t use much air, probably about the same as an air chisel. I have a 5hp 2-stage 60 gallon Champion compressor which is way over kill for that tool. I probably have 3 hours invested in de scaling the tractor frame.

The engine is ready for me to pickup later this week, and I hope to have a new update mid February.

Can't wait for the next video!
1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
Auntwayne View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auntwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 8:59pm
I will give credit where credit is due . Great shop, job and video. Thanks for sharing.
Dad always said," If you have one boy, you have a man. If you have two boys, you have two boys". "ALLIS EXPRESS"
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 9:12pm
Great video!
I think I'll be adding a scaler to my tool collection.
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 9:25pm
You know, with my father we sold the C tractor for the life of the unit (40 - 49) but I have never seen that detailed a restoration.  You have been in every nook and cranny.  I remember Armand DeYoung telling me on a B he had restored that he had to get to every bearing, gasket, gear, seal, and all the other items to be certain the unit would not break down later. 
My sincere congratulations on a job being very well done.  You sir, will have one outstanding Allis Chalmers Tractors.  In fact, I really think the C is the best looking tractor Allis Chalmers made.
Wish I had your shop. 
Looking at your helper I can only see myself 75 years ago working around my father when he worked with tractors, combines, and implements.
Give him my sincere regards.
Thanks again for what you are doing to keep a name I love alive.
Look forward to updates.
Good Luck!
Bill Long

BenGiBoy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenGiBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 10:07pm
Absolutely amazing, very meticulously done, it'll look great when you are done!
Your little helper looks like he knows what he is doing.
-Ben

Edited by BenGiBoy - 21 Jan 2018 at 10:08pm
'39 Model B
Tractors are cheaper than girls, remember that!
ACmowerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACmowerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 11:21pm
Awesome attention to detail and fantastic job! 
10 various B-series garden tractors, AC Homesteader8, 416 hydro,710 gt, 914, 916H, 917H, 920D, and many misc attachments
UncleRuckus717 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UncleRuckus717 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 1:44pm
Great video! Dang it, now I am tempted to restore my tractor! The video makes it look WAY easier than it actually is.
1949 Model B
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobforapples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 7:55pm
Part 2: https://youtu.be/iqTwGsfhvvs

I think I’ll have he engine running within a week, then paint and the home stretch!

My restoration projects seem like they always take longer and cost more than I expect -this one is no exception. When it’s done I’ll be 100% confident that everything is working properly and it’s hard to put a price tag on that piece of mind!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 5:48am
It's a work of love and you are doing it right!!
The C is one of my favorites.  It's just too bad it didn't have a hand clutch.
Your videos are AWESOME!!  Keep em coming !!!
Special memories for that little guy that he'll carry all his life.  Along with HIS tractor.

And....................................
WELCOME to the forum!!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 7:16am
Great videos!! Thumbs UpThumbs Up
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 9:27am
Awesome videos! Any idea how many hours get compressed into a 5 minutes?
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobforapples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 7:16pm
Roughly 5 minutes of time lapse video is around 20ish hours from what I can tell. There is no set ratio because the software changes the frame rate based on length of each recording.

I know that sounds like a non-answer so I’ll go about it another way... 5 minutes of time lapse is easy and fun to watch, and much less frustrating than all the little hiccups along the way!!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 10:40am
However it's done, I like it. Makes me wonder what my projects would look like. No sound would get rid of the comments when things aren't going according to plan!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic