Unofficial Allis Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The perfect auction??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The perfect auction??
    Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 10:55pm
So my back and left leg is killing me. (Siatic pain) About 2-3 hours sleep a night is not cutting it! I am getting a little whacky. Thoughts come to mind that someday I wont be able to play with all the toys that I have acquired. I always jokingly tease the wife about the auction. Hoping to get the back issue resolved but was thinking about the perfect auction! Therefor this post: Chime in a give your two cent too!
Several areas of discussion here:
1. Have you thought about who would do the auction? I have picked a local guy, does a nice job!
2. Things you might hear when your stuff is drug out in the yard in a row and folks are huddled over it: Like:
 wow he sure had a lot of junk!
 Did you see that, havent seen one of those in years.
 What is that orange thing?
 Wonder if that runs?
 Want to get another hot dog and some hot chocolate?
 The tractors sell at 1:00
 Why in the world would anyone have all those (fill in the blanks)
 Can I get that in the back of my pickup.
 This guy had a real problem!
 How many horse power is that D17?
 How can one person accumulate so much stuff?
 If i could buy it right I would take that home
 You see the boxes of Allis parts?
 Why would someone need all those tractors, you can only drive one at a time.
 This guy has some strange stuff
 Dang I should have bid again on that
 The maple syrup stuff sells at 10:00
 Lets go get coffee
 I have to pee
 I walked all this way for this?
 Lots of junk Cubs here too!
 That's a nice old tiller wonder what that will go for?
 How can someone cram so much stuff in a little building.
 The bee stuff is over there.
 Nice pickup truck.
 Looks like a project he never got around to.

3.What would the auctioneers comments be on some of the stuff?
 Boys you aint never seen one like this before!
 He probably had this shined up for some reason?
 We have two so take your turn
 It doesnt run, Just sell it as is.
 These are rare around these parts
 Would you start it at a dollar bid?
 Its going down the road boys, last chance!
 Its not where we start its where we end up boys!
 These are misc tools, not a matched set.

Sold!

You get the idea. You can comment or not, just food for thought and discussion.

Regards,
 Chris

D17, WD45, WD,
Ford Jubilee, IH TD6
Many IH Cub Cadets
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 11:09pm
don't use an auctioneer unless you want all that is said above! sell off stuff little by little on this site, or contact some of the sponsors on here to buy you out! i'm selling a few items at a time, no commission, and no taxes on stuff. try an on-line auction if you want to see how it works, bidding is usually for several days or a week and not just a few minutes! most autioneers now just sell off stuff as junk or dollar bids if it isn't green or have shiney paint on it! I bought a complete working #66 combine for a dollar at an auction. was a green sale and the neighbor brought the combine over to be sold.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 11:13pm
Shameless,
 Good comments! I thought about the " there isnt much green stuff here" comment too.
Sometime these things are out of our control. Dads gone, kids are getting rid of stuff, etc!
Yea some times the stuff goes way cheap, unless I am bidding on it!

Do you ever sleep? Or is there more than one of you to cover 24/7?:)

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 16 Oct 2017 at 11:16pm
D17, WD45, WD,
Ford Jubilee, IH TD6
Many IH Cub Cadets
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 11:29pm
if I can sleep, it's only about 2 hours at a time. just be glad you don't have our "stockholders" there, they would give it all away to a scraper. they gave some of my working equipment away to one. when I asked where my equipment went to they said they gave it away to such and such. I told them they better get it back as they had no right to do anything with my equipment! also told them that they will hafta pay for it. one piped up and said how much? I told them they like the green color so I told them a figure that was about 10 times the worth of what mine was worth! they said they wouldn't pay. and I said I would sue them and post the paperwork on the walls of the coffee shop they go to! they paid me!!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 11:30pm
sell a few items on a yard sale, and make sure you say what is there on the ad you put in the news paper
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 1:42am
Man hope you can get some rest. I am not used to this lack of sleep thing!
Regards,
 Chris
D17, WD45, WD,
Ford Jubilee, IH TD6
Many IH Cub Cadets
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 3:04am
it SUCKS!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 5:19am
x2!
D17, WD45, WD,
Ford Jubilee, IH TD6
Many IH Cub Cadets
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 7:21am
Hope you 2 feel better this morning . My dad would always say the same thing at an auction as we pulled up . " I will get out by the front gate , entrance" . "you go park the truck and I will get a number" . I was 12 at the time and would have to walk a 1/4 to 1/2 mile to get back . Then I would have to run items he bought to the truck .
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 7:30am
I feel for ya with the sciatic deal, Ive been there. Therapy does wonders for it.

Ya I have wondered about  dealing with the collection and in fact have began with it.   We thinned down on the A-C tractors and implements a good bit several years ago when we started seeing signs that the peak of interest in stuff like we own had passed. We have lots of other interests that keep our barns and sheds full and I do think about dealing with it prior to mom and the kids having to do it. 

Biggest thing to deal with for a lot of guys, me included is getting past the fact that a lot of it just plain isn't worth much. Some never was but the pieces that were once worth something and now are not is tough.  I just took 3 field ready steel wheel A-C pull type plows to the scrap yard and watched the guy destroy them with the grapple they unloaded them with, that wasn't easy.  I am afraid that at some point most of the antiques  we treasure will be pretty worthless as compared to the peak. It's already affected collectables such as glass and paper in a big way.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 7:49am
Always fun to see more little nuggets of "tax advice" thrown into these discussions.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 8:27am
Yeah best to deal with it all now instead of leaving for the wife and kids to deal with later.  It took me several years to clean up dad and mom's place after they were gone.  Most was junk but you had to go through it all just to be sure and then what to do with the stuff you can't get rid of like my uncles WWII army duffel bag from Berma that still had the shipping documents attached to it while on his way back from there.  Or the arched top church windows that came out of their church?  Or all the old 5 and 6 panel wood doors that came out of their old house?  Still need to deal with that stuff.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Armand(AZ) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armand(AZ) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 8:37am
After I retired I realized it was time to unload some stuff.  I had a dozen restored gas engines, a couple weighing 1k lbs or more.  Got tired of moving them around and to shows so sold them one at a time.  Then decided to sell out completely and move to AZ.  Nine restored tractors had to go.  Sold them individually also as I didn't want to take the stress thing of selling them at auction.   Then called the auctioneer to sell the rest except one POD full that we wanted to move down here.   The stress of having an auction will keep you awake like your siatic thing!!!   Weather, will enough buyers  show up, etc!!!   The good stuff went cheap and the stuff I thought should go to the landfill brought big bucks.   The auctioneers daughter who called at our auction is now doing Storage Wars at times.  Her name is Emily if you watch the show.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 8:49am
Stan...take those item to the what they call "junk stock". usually one in every state, those items you mentioned will bring BIG bucks!
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 9:01am
All I can say is:
I'm in the same boat, still like to buy but don't need it!
I hauled a couple of cub cadets, shop tools, sprayer tank, to a local consignment last month, just to get them out of the way, more slated for dispersal soon.
I need to clean out my shop just to make room to move around.
I have some equipment going out as soon as the renter gets his corn and beans out, then I can load up more quality items so someone to re-purpose.

Edited by JoeO(CMO) - 17 Oct 2017 at 9:06am

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 9:15am
Chris if you do have an auction, that would be one I would love to attend. Unfortunately, I'm way to far away. I love going to a good AC auction and the cub cadet stuff would be a bonus, Mike.
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 9:15am
I been thinnin' out the fleet lately, too.  Sold off several good runners and project tractors to friends or guys that have become friends.  At least I know they went to good homes and not to scrappers!  Still quite a few to go.  Anyone interested in some good steel wheel tractors?  Twin Cities? Hart Parr? Wallis?
Steve M View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 9:26am
If I ever have an auction I'm going to make  a little speech before the auctioneer gets started and tell everyone in attendance to go ahead and bid all they want and don't be afraid of over paying for an item. Then after the auction I'm gonna go thru the list and check all the prices that items brought and if I think some one overpayed i'll send them a refund. Smile
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 9:32am
I take Gabepentin for my Sciatic.  I'm at the max dose now so I guess surgery will be the next step whenever that is. 

As far as an auction goes, I usually sell stuff just before or just after my next purchase so as not to collect too much.  The auctioneer I(she) would use is a real nice guy and wouldn't steer her wrong.   Cause like he always says,  the more it sells for the more money I get!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 10:01am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

Stan...take those item to the what they call "junk stock". usually one in every state, those items you mentioned will bring BIG bucks!

Thanks Dale, I will check them out.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 8:42pm
Good discussion guys.
I think selling the stuff individually would be the right way to get it done. Ten years ago I wasnt into tractors. Retirement has allowed me the time to get some and get after them. I have given one away and another one might go to the oldest boy if he was interested? I have enjoyed tractor pulling the last two years. But really am not competitive with the orange machines as stock engines and old tires dont cut it.
Might consider reinventing myself into some other hobbies too. Not sure what. maybe wood working? I think the wife and I would like to travel some. So a new 5th wheel would take some of the money from a inventory reduction. I could probably buy a real nice big tractor mower for the yard too!

Regards,
 Chris

D17, WD45, WD,
Ford Jubilee, IH TD6
Many IH Cub Cadets
7040 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 7:03am
Stan around me there are reclaim /refurbished shops popping up all over.neighbor lady bought one of those 6 panel doors with old paint on it for $160.00
Brought it home scraped loose paint off (probably lead). Clear coated it and screwdriver it on the wall above bed as a head board in brand new house. Now she's looking for more for the kids bedrooms. Her husband and I are long time friends we get a good laugh out of it. Mostly because we are not artistic enough to appreciate the current trends. Butt like he says it keeps her happy.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 7:59am
I've seen them old doors used as table tops in new homes too!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic