This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The ones Allis Chalmers did not build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 9:29pm
I wonder why Allis did not develop a version of the engine they used in the N7/R7 for the higher hp tractors?  As far as I can tell they only used it in the Combine.
Sponsored Links

ta27823 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ta27823 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 9:55pm
I was told the proto 7080 had that engine but the trans and rear didnt handle the low speed high tourque that engine produced.  So up went the rps on the 426 and the rest is history.  This may not be totaly correct but its what I was told.
EPALLIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPALLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 11:49pm
A D-15 Series III?!  You must be an X-Allis-Chalmers employee.  That's the best idea I've heard in 20 years.  I'll submit that to Crain at AGCO and let you know what I hear back!!!!!!!!!!!  LOL!
Dave King View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 6:25pm
They should never have farmed out building tractors.  The 440  and the 160 should have been West Allis tractors.  I never figured out why they brought in a motor to put in the 175 and then brought in a tractor to put around the 433.  AC was the benchmark for little tractors with the B and C and then gave up on that segment. As far as what was never built, the 8095 should have come out with the rest of the line, same with the 6095 and a 6050 and a powershift for the 6000 series.  A 4w350 and a 4w400 would have been nice.  
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 6:48pm
I'm sure a lot of it was because of Union labor.  Look how little is made in the USA right now......I know Norm talks about them trying to be competitive quite a bit during the 60's. Also a couple of bad products cost AC a lot of repair money and reputation during this time, so they had to bring their prices way down to bring in new customers.
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 6:55pm
Back in 87 when I was chairman of the International Silo Association, we were a part of FIEI (Farm and Industrial Equipment Institute). When we met in Chicago (Wrigley building), I met a former A-C enineering exective who was working at FIEI. He said that A-C always had a high cost transmission plant and Case up the road in Racine had a very modern an efficient transmission plant. He was aways trying to get A-C to outsource the 6000 series transmission from Case but instead they inported a Renault.
MI8050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI8050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 7:52pm
From the clutch housing back on the 6000's they were Fiat.  The 160 was a Renault though, right?
LloydCentWi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LloydCentWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 8:44am
Maybe if they had adopted the 3pt hitch, or paid rights fees if necessary, when the WD came out in 1948 and skipped the snap coupler phase. I think the G with a B/C/CA engine would've been the way to go. And of course, more gears or a hi-lo, in the all the tractors, B,C,CA,WC,WD,WD45 etc... < id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" ="">
Austin(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Austin(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 9:28am
I just wish they were still making stuff....
"Better By Design"
Tdavison View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tdavison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 9:53am
    I am a "Bean Counter".  Don't blame the bean counters.  It nice to build tractors, but you have to make a profit while doing it.  Bean counters are  needed to keep the sales and production people realistic in their ideas.  Don't get me wrong,  I am an AC lover and grew up driving a Model C  (The best little tractor ever built).  I wish that Agco would remain an AC company, but market factors may make that impossible.  I don't believe the gentlemen from Germany would eliminate a line if he thought it could make money for the company.  AC had many problems, and design Or lack of, casused most of their problems.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Tdavison Tdavison wrote:

AC had many problems, and design Or lack of, casused most of their problems.

I disagree with that statement.

I think the 6000 series referred to earlier is the 6040 which was a retinned 160.

I think I should search for a 433T for my D19 gas. It's getting too expensive to run.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Spud View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 1:46pm
I think AC was getting it together at the very end.  The 6000 and 8000 series would stand toe to toe with any competitor.  Unfortunately a lot of equipment from before that did not have a good reputation.  Continual changing of suppliers for small tractors probably didn't help either.
TedBuiskerN.IL. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedBuiskerN.IL. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 2:17pm
I would like to say i wish they made a D-18 to make the numbering system complete but they didn't. Oh wait yeah they did! LOL I have the original Allis-Chalmers blue prints right from the factory for it. I was working for an old implement dealership here about 5 years ago and a long time customer invited me out to the farm to show me his "old" allis. Sure enough in the corner of the barn sits a D-18. Weird looking duck. He never was quite clear on how he got it, but he said it has been sitting there about 35-40 years under the old army tarp. He is the one who gave me the blueprints. He made it sound as if his family farm was part of the "far west" proving grounds for allis. I thought it was the only one ever made, until the local allis dealership asked me if i had ever heard of one. They said an ol boy from down south called looking for a part, they had on the dealer network. According to that ol boy they made 4 of them. He uses his on a regular basis, and i guess if i ever win the lottery i will remake one from these blueprints. LOL I know that the tractor still sits in the barn and that the gentleman is still alive. I offered to purchase the tractor when he showed it to me, and he just said "good things come to those who wiat" So maybe i will go up with the trailer some day and bring it home. If any one would ever like to see the blueprints feel free to zap me an email and i will bring them to a show. m.pehl@hotmail.com I have been asked once if I would sell the prints and i have no idea what they would be worth. It would be interesting to get some ideas, considering i have them in my apartment. I have renters insurance but the $30K coverage i have i don't think would begin to cover the value of the prints. Let me know what you guys think they may be worth. I would like to get them insured properly.

Thanks, Matt Pehl Davis, Il
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
Matt (NEIA) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt (NEIA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 2:27pm
different styling on the 7000 series for me
1955 WD-45 with factory PS
rooster View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 10:19am
hey guys a-c built this tractor and im trying to find it . it was a D@! front wheel assist . so it was four wheel drive with hydrostat. they made 10   9 were convered back to two wheel drive . i want it for my collection
i have a wd45,two D10s3, 190xt,5040,7030,ca,
rooster View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 10:24am
i would never sell those blue prints i have a book on every ac built and the ones that wasnt ill look in it.
rooster View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 10:32am
the d18 was about the same as the d17.D262 motor same motor as the D17.the D19 is the D18 but with a diesel and turbo.there was a production of d18 but nobody bought them.
Jacob (WI,ND) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob (WI,ND) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 10:42am
Originally posted by TedBuiskerN.IL. TedBuiskerN.IL. wrote:

I would like to say i wish they made a D-18 to make the numbering system complete but they didn't. Oh wait yeah they did! LOL I have the original Allis-Chalmers blue prints right from the factory for it. I was working for an old implement dealership here about 5 years ago and a long time customer invited me out to the farm to show me his "old" allis. Sure enough in the corner of the barn sits a D-18. Weird looking duck. He never was quite clear on how he got it, but he said it has been sitting there about 35-40 years under the old army tarp. He is the one who gave me the blueprints. He made it sound as if his family farm was part of the "far west" proving grounds for allis. I thought it was the only one ever made, until the local allis dealership asked me if i had ever heard of one. They said an ol boy from down south called looking for a part, they had on the dealer network. According to that ol boy they made 4 of them. He uses his on a regular basis, and i guess if i ever win the lottery i will remake one from these blueprints. LOL I know that the tractor still sits in the barn and that the gentleman is still alive. I offered to purchase the tractor when he showed it to me, and he just said "good things come to those who wiat" So maybe i will go up with the trailer some day and bring it home. If any one would ever like to see the blueprints feel free to zap me an email and i will bring them to a show. m.pehl@hotmail.com I have been asked once if I would sell the prints and i have no idea what they would be worth. It would be interesting to get some ideas, considering i have them in my apartment. I have renters insurance but the $30K coverage i have i don't think would begin to cover the value of the prints. Let me know what you guys think they may be worth. I would like to get them insured properly.

Thanks, Matt Pehl Davis, Il
Neat!  Any chance you would be willing to take some pics, or scan (to big?) of the blueprints so we could see??  Might help set a value?   What is different on the D18?  Just a bigger engine, or what?
Jacob Swanson
1920 6-12; 1925,1926 20-35 longfenders; 1925,1926 15-25's; 1927,1929 20-35 shortfenders; C; B's; IB; WC's; WD; WD45
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 11:25am
Originally posted by injpumpEd injpumpEd wrote:

as good as 236/248 perkins engines are, I would like to put a 200cid 433I AC engine into a 170/175. then it would be a thoroughbred!

I've dreamt about that many times. One day I will give it a try.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 11:30am
Originally posted by rooster rooster wrote:

the d18 was about the same as the d17.D262 motor same motor as the D17.the D19 is the D18 but with a diesel and turbo.there was a production of d18 but nobody bought them.

They only built a prototype or 2 of the D18. They were never for sale.

Man, Where did this old thread come from? I thought I was commenting on something new. 
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
rooster View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 11:36am
briggs and stratton bought the rights to ac they still make ac lawnmowers
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 1:52pm
175 Narrow front w snap coupler
Snap couplers on all 100 series tractors.Then my grandfather and father could not have used that as an excuse as to not buy a new tractor in early 70's.Not like they would have anyway.Dad always said they would buy a new one if it would hook up to all our snap coupler equipt.

Edited by Pat the Plumber CIL - 18 Dec 2010 at 1:56pm
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
rooster View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 2:02pm
no they made more than that
Russ-neia View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russ-neia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 2:14pm
Are we all talking about what would be a "true" D-18 or just the D-17 cotton-picker tractors?
The innovators offer what others will imitate.
Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 2:25pm
D18 was a D19 rear end (straight axle) with a 262 naturally aspirated diesel, right?  Not a D17 rear end (drop axles) with a D19 262 gas or 262 TD.

Hurst
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
gleaner1 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gleaner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 4:00pm
AC did have tractors with larger displacement than the 426,    8550, and 4W-305 they  had the 731 cu in from the N7 but with twin turbos.  this was a fantastic motor, hard on fuel but lasted a lot longer than a 426,   they should have put a version of this in the N6,  Gleaners would be a lot more popular today if it wasn't for the black eye they got with all the early N6's sold.

My list
N6 with 731 cu in
4W-375 with an N14 and Twin Disc power shift
and finally KHD should have kept production of the 6 and 8000's series and just changed to the Deutz air cooled motors

ALLIS CHALMERS "The color is orange"
gleaner1 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gleaner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 4:02pm
Lets hear more of the A4T-1600  WHITE/ALLIS,   
I know they were looking at them as a supplier for 4wd's, but did they actually make a proto?

Dans 7080 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dans 7080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 4:18pm
Gleaner1 the N7 did not have the 731, It had the 516ci 685I. The 731 was the 6120T.
gleaner1 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gleaner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 4:30pm
Yes, thanks for correcting me,  we had to many engines over the years and I'm starting to forget which motors they had,  the 516 cu in was the one that should have been in the N6 and the 4W-220.

JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 5:29pm
I can understand the complaints of the outsourcing machinery, but some of the outsourced products were good machines.  The 160 is a decent and dependable tractor and were good sellers for some dealers that had a good small tractor business yet at that time.  For A-C to build an up-to-date transmission for the D15 would have been cost prohibitive.  I love my D15s but I understand where A-C was coming from there.

As far as the Perkins in the 170-175s, using the A-C four cylinder would have made sense, but that motor has been a very good reliable motor for those tractors and parts are CHEAP!  Several years ago I was overhauling my C, at the same time a customer came in and ordered an overhaul kit for his 175, when it came down to it the 175 parts were less than my C!!!  I tell ya, that hurt! lol

It would have been interesting to see A-C keep up with the hay and forage division, but that market was narrowing, I would have rather seen them buy out New Holland or Hesston to get a more competitive forage line.  The large round balers they messed with were Hawk Bilt balers and they were a joke!  I was always told they did not enter the large baler market because they were sued to max for Roto Baler mishaps.  They were evidently getting out of the forage line as well so that could have put a damper on the whole large baler idea too. 

Roto Balers had such a dark cloud over them that even when Deutz bought out A-C they would send any Roto Baler owner a kit including updated safety decals and an operators and safety manual.  I love Roto Balers and they are one of the best designed and most rugged machines built but, please, if you run one, keep your hands out of it while it is in operation!

One of the former salesman at the dealership where I work at always talked about going to a 6000 series sales meeting in West Allis.  He said they had a 15 speed powershift transmission designed for these tractors that was slated to come out.  This would have been ahead of its time as well. 

I just wish Deutz would have kept the color, factory and people around that made these great products.  They could have put their engine in them, thats the only thing they had worth a darn anyway!  They could have had a great product lineup and brought in their own products that A-C didnt have to fill the gaps such as their hay equipment.  I was always told you could tell the guys from Deutz,but you couldnt tell them much!  I wonder if Marty's last name isnt Deutz instead of Richenhaenblubbennnnnnnnn

lol
Jim

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic