This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steering gear grease instead of oil in b,c,ca?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaredC(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering gear grease instead of oil in b,c,ca?
    Posted: 15 May 2019 at 12:31pm
Wondering who all is using grease instead of oil in their b,c,ca steering gear.

Looking back on old posts it seems like a common fix for leaks.

Does the use of grease instead of oil effect steering in the winter? I would assume it would thicken up in cold temperatures.

Jared

Sponsored Links

DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 12:39pm
You are thinking gear grease, yes? I don't think it would hurt anything, but I'd stick with oil unless your seals are leaking.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 12:43pm
dont use grease itll never lube your gears. if you must you can use pouravble grease also known as corn head grease. it will lube your gears and stay in a fairly leaky front end. I havent noticed any diferant in the winter with corn head grease. my C had grease gun grease in it when I got it when i took it apart the gears were rusty and worn like it had been dry forever. the grease was all a ball at the top. the lower bearings were trash.
HoughMade View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoughMade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 12:56pm
I've been using 00 Cotton Picker grease.  It's probably not as good as corn head grease in preventing leaks, but it's pouarble and seems to work OK.
1951 B
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 1:03pm
NGLI 00 or NGLI 000 grease are both pourable. I'd say use NGLI 000 in Wisconsin if you use the tractor in the winter. NGLI 00 would work fine in the summer. Normal grease as you'd usually find in a grease gun is NGLI 2 - three grades thicker than NGLI 00 and four grades thicker than NGLI 000.

Edited by DougS - 15 May 2019 at 1:06pm
joelsplace View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joelsplace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 5:58pm
Tractor supply carries the 00 grease. At ours it was with the 3 point links and not in the normal oil section.
JaredC(WI) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaredC(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 12:19am
Thanks for the info, guys. The CA leaks it's steering gear oil out pretty quick. Within a day or so of filling it it's on the floor.

Have been refilling it just before I use it since I got the tractor last year. Getting tired of wasting good oil.

Next time I get to Fleet Farm here Ill look for that 000 corn head grease and give it a try. Maybe it'll save me the hassle of always refilling.

Thanks again!
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 6:17am
I used grease gun grease in the steering box of my B 20 years ago. No problems with the box, and it steers fine even with the Henderson loader on it. I used an EP Moly grease..
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 7:02am
I use the same grease I use on all my farm equipment. I don't fill it and call it done. Every now and then I pump grease in until it come out around the seal that is already shot. Wipe the access off on your sleeve for your wife to get out if you don't carry a rag. It gives you something to talk about over supper. (:^D
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 8:17am
Somehow I think you forgot to put "ex-" before "wife" lol!!! Or soon-to-be-ex? That's funny.
I've been wondering the same thing. My WD45 adjustable has leaks, I've used grease, had the cover off and - not pretty. The manual calls for (going from memory so don't jump on me lol!) SAE 240 or 250... pretty much grease already. I haven't added fluid,, I've only greased it, am I causing harm by doing so?
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 10:54am
Originally posted by TimCNY TimCNY wrote:

Somehow I think you forgot to put "ex-" before "wife" lol!!! Or soon-to-be-ex? That's funny.
I've been wondering the same thing. My WD45 adjustable has leaks, I've used grease, had the cover off and - not pretty. The manual calls for (going from memory so don't jump on me lol!) SAE 240 or 250... pretty much grease already. I haven't added fluid,, I've only greased it, am I causing harm by doing so?

I carry a rag! A bit sarcasm for those that have not figured how to fill the void.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic