Unofficial Allis Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

silo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D19allisowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: silo
    Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 8:18pm
I know this has been talked about on here before but I don't know what to do with it.I don't need it and i want to get rid of it instead of paying taxes on it. I just bought the building site that this is sitting on.I just wanted some opinions. Is it worth trying to sell or just give it away. thanks for any input!
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.
Sponsored Links

Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 8:21pm
Got any Amish or Old Orders around??? That might be the only market for you...........
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
D19allisowner View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D19allisowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 8:21pm
I was trying to get this picture on here.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D19allisowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 8:34pm
there's lots of amish around here but they usually don't want to give much for anything but mabe I should give it away just to get rid of it. I don't want to just push it over into a big pile I just think its worth more than that.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 9:19pm
Turn it into an agroturism B&B...Wink
JC(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 9:35pm
First, make sure that you really are paying taxes on them,
  secondly ask them what it will reduce your taxes by... or will they consider it an 'IMPROVEMENT' ? 
Some people have created living quarters in those silos... and have circular stairs up the middle.

Neighbor bulldozed his barn down and cleaned the property up some and asked the tax accessor how much it reduced his taxes and the accessor told him they hadn't been taxing the barn for years... but now he did an improvement on his property and his taxes went up almost a third... He asked about his old sheds and assessor said they weren't being taxed either... Those sheds are there to this day... and instead of tearing them down, he went inside and fixed them up... but left the old siding on them. LOL Oh yea, he built a new shop several years after tearing the barn down and his taxes doubled.   Said he should have just thrown a new roof on the barn and cut half the haymow floor out and raised it up for his camper... and still had a shop and a loft for storage.

Just start pounding the staves out of the side you want it to tip on.
  Oh yea, same neighbor above had a 16x60 and he sold it to his brother and they filled the silo and as they unloaded it, they loosened the rings and chipped the inside grout off and lowered staves by rope one at a time.. By spring, the silo was gone.  It was rebuilt by a silo crew at the brothers place.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D19allisowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 9:38pm
I got a chuckle out of that! Thanks Dave! 
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 9:40pm
Even a "little"  might be  better than doing it yourself!
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D19allisowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 9:44pm
Maybe I will have to check out the tax angle first. thanks for the reply!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D19allisowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 9:47pm
I should just put my tv antenna on it then I could get rid of my dish!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 10:37pm
X2 what JC said
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 11:31pm
I think you should do with it as you want, but keep in mind these old silos are getting rarer and rarer (at least down here in Okie-land, especially ones with the domes left on top)
Like was suggested, it might be something neat to turn them into a sort of agri-tourism thing. It would help preserve the history a little for future generations, like myself.   I’ve seen a few of those silos around, but all are abandoned. I don’t even know how one is unloaded, really, or why they even used silos instead of using bunks. There used to be lots of dairy farms down here that used those, but they are all long since folded up.

Edited by CrestonM - 18 Nov 2017 at 11:33pm
1942 B, 1948 G, two 1950 All-Crop 60As, 1958 All-Crop Super 100, 1975 860 Cotton Stripper
JC(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 12:41am
Creston, a silo is unloaded in two basic ways, one is by silage fork, and the other is a silo unloader...

this one is suspended from the top of the silo by three cables... and a winch to lower and raise it. and some were four cable suspension.

The old unloaders like this were surface drives and you had to take them apart and taken out of silo then hoist back up to the top and put back together... Had/have two of these yet... Later Patz and others supplied a tripod and winch or a pulley at the base of the silo to hoist the loader to the top before filling silo.

There was also a surface drive unloader that when filling the silo, you ran the unloader around and around actually packing the silage out to the walls and creating a center hole down the middle and when you went to unload, it dragged the silage to the center and let it drop down the center were at the bottom was an auger to pull the silage out to the outside of the base.

inside the big blue Harvestor silos. The arm sweeps around the silo floor dragging the silage into the center and that drops down and gets pulled out by the chain.

This one requires no electricity... just lots of blood, muscle and beef to make it operate...
Always loved filling silo whither it was chopping corn into self unloading boxes or blowing up into the silos... didn't like winter time feeding in 20 degree or colder weather because I would go up and cover the silage with a plastic to keep the heat in... and tomorrow would have to go up and uncover the silage before starting the silage unloader.  It was better for the cows to not have frozen silage in front of them... would freeze down up to 6" if it was cold enough... but throw the plastic on and it would only frost under the plastic, and frozen out by the wall.
  Hope that helps you understand it some.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 5:11am

Rent it out to a crop farmer.

Gary
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 7:09am
Somebody had a dream of a better life at one time. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 7:09am
I right clicked andsaved the picture..
1) looks to be 60' tall ?
2) brown one ( the right one) is to come down ??
3) can't believe you're getting taxed, that I would have to check. Up here they'd nail me for a demo permit AFTER getting approvals from 3 'land' agencies($,$$, $$$ !) and of course assessment goes up ands well as taxes.

I did see one guy put a telescope in a silo. Only 20' tall though.

If it was mine and had to go( wife'd say that....), I'd borrow a bulldozer, make a  trench, then 'encourage' the silo to 'go to bed'. Once 'asleep', cover up with the top soil.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 8:54am
That's the way a LOT of old chicken houses disappeared around here Jay. Now if they catch you burying them you get to dig it up, put it in dumpsters, have it hauled to the dump, AND get to pay fines. Last one I helped tear down was just the wood. No tin, no equipment, and was 34' wide and 400' long. Took 30 something dumpsters and cost a little north of $10,000. Now people just let them rot
If you raise your kids you can spoil your grandkids. If you spoil your kids you will raise your grandkids.

Paitience is a bitter cup from which only the strong can drink
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 11:46am
Originally posted by JC(WI) JC(WI) wrote:

Creston, a silo is unloaded in two basic ways, one is by silage fork, and the other is a silo unloader...

this one is suspended from the top of the silo by three cables... and a winch to lower and raise it. and some were four cable suspension.

The old unloaders like this were surface drives and you had to take them apart and taken out of silo then hoist back up to the top and put back together... Had/have two of these yet... Later Patz and others supplied a tripod and winch or a pulley at the base of the silo to hoist the loader to the top before filling silo.

There was also a surface drive unloader that when filling the silo, you ran the unloader around and around actually packing the silage out to the walls and creating a center hole down the middle and when you went to unload, it dragged the silage to the center and let it drop down the center were at the bottom was an auger to pull the silage out to the outside of the base.

inside the big blue Harvestor silos. The arm sweeps around the silo floor dragging the silage into the center and that drops down and gets pulled out by the chain.

This one requires no electricity... just lots of blood, muscle and beef to make it operate...
Always loved filling silo whither it was chopping corn into self unloading boxes or blowing up into the silos... didn't like winter time feeding in 20 degree or colder weather because I would go up and cover the silage with a plastic to keep the heat in... and tomorrow would have to go up and uncover the silage before starting the silage unloader.  It was better for the cows to not have frozen silage in front of them... would freeze down up to 6" if it was cold enough... but throw the plastic on and it would only frost under the plastic, and frozen out by the wall.
  Hope that helps you understand it some.

Thanks, JC! That was very interesting! Makes sense now!

On a sidenote… I’ve seen several old Farms down here that when a tornado came by, demolished the farm, but left the tall silo. There must be some kind of aerodynamic qualities to them?
1942 B, 1948 G, two 1950 All-Crop 60As, 1958 All-Crop Super 100, 1975 860 Cotton Stripper
JC(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 12:16pm
Wind can't grab them , but will remove the silo roof...
 I regress a little bit, a few have been toppled, but usually it is because the footings were not on solid ground, or not enough footing under them... There is a sizeable amount of concrete below ground. 
 Got a bunch of pics of our old poured cement silo going up and of a Harvestore going up, and a year later coming down.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D19allisowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 11:30pm
The clay brick silo next to the barn is definitely going to go because it is falling apart but the big one I might just leave alone. Like others have said these silo's are disappearing around here to. talked to the woman I bought the buildings from and she said she thought it was either 18' x 60' or 80' but it don't look 80' to me. thanks for all the replies and suggestions.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 12:44pm
Spent ~ 1 1/2  hours per day every day after school on the business end of a fork like that.  And also a grub axe chopping the frozen chunks off the side.  I suuuuuurrrre prefer the bunker, tractor, and feed wagon method I use now!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D19allisowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 1:00pm
I've been on the business end of one of those before to until the unloader got put in.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:02pm
If you take it down sell the blocks for landscaping stone or to make a patio
EricPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 5:54pm
Depending on the need in your area I've seen several around here that have been leased to cell phone carriers to mount their equipment to around the top
Life is tough,but it's tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 11:31pm
Silos with domes on them are very rare in Colorado, I know of a couple, guess it isn't wet enough to make having them worth while.  Most of the tile silos have gone away but the poured concrete and concrete stave ones survive.  There are two houses that were built around silos across the street from each other about a mile from my farm.  Have been in one house, a lot of the space is used for a spiral stairs with small rooms the kids slept in during summer weather.  A guy tried to move a poured concrete silo years ago, moved about 5 feet then fell over, at least it didn't fall into the barn next to it.  We no longer have any dairies in this county but there were hundreds back in the last century and still lots of silos.  One guy with a couple Harvestores makes more money off the cell antennas on his silos then he ever made milking cows.
Speaking of county permits, etc. the county has been bugging me about some buildings I moved onto my farm about 12 years ago.  One old cattle shed is 20 X 48 and is in two pieces on a truck and trailer.  Any buildings now have to meet currant code, which is 155MPH wind and 40lb snow load.  I got a permit to tear them down, for $42, but that evening I discovered an email saying I have to have it inspected for asbestos!  It's a frickin pole shed with rough cut pine posts and 2 x's with galvanized siding and roof.  I think I'll not worry about the inspection but have taken a lot of pictures.  Morons!  

Edited by JohnCO - 21 Nov 2017 at 11:33pm
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic