This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 9:11am
Chris, it's about time for a 'puppy update'.
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 8:53am
Mike, Folks,
Ruby is really growing and just now loosing her baby teeth. She is pretty much in control of things here too:

The shop is working well on projects and a good place to just set a spell too. Nic's WD needs brake repairs. Jib crane worked great to move the tire.  I pulled the right side of the WD to get to the brake drum for replacement. 

This looks fine at this point!  Went down hill from here, as the heated drum cooled and stuck part way on. Had to cut and break it off too! Well they make new ones, so I will order another today and try the drum install process at a higher temp. Have also taken out the woodfuff key a cleaned the shaft too.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 27 Sep 2022 at 5:51pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 1:43pm
Would have been a harder job without that crane. Sure makes it look easier. My CA needs the hand clutch pulled and tightened up 
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 3:43pm
Chris, sorta looks in the picture that you and Ruby needed a nap!  LOL She is adorable!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 5:37pm
Stick the drum in an oven for a while...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 8:52am
Those pictures make it look like a 'real' shop! Ruby is so cute!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 6:06pm
Folks,
Ruby is a piece of work for sure!

I got the new WD brake drum for the old WD today. Sandy Lake is awesome! Thanks to Brenda I had this in one day!
 Several folks visted at the shop today. I did heat the new brake drum to 500F and it slipped right on the shaft and key. (I did buff the key to make sure it was slightly smaller)
I set the brake drum on the stove top and turned it on high took about 15 min to bring it to 500F. 

Now to clean up the shoes and get the new pads instsalled then to repair the brake rod. 
I dont think anyone makes new ones??

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 27 Sep 2022 at 6:14pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 8:39pm
Ruby's sure looking taller and longer than she used to.

I am filing away the WD brake drum info!
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 1:26pm
 Looks like Ruby is incharge
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 7:36am
T,
 Yes this picture pretty well sums that up! Not a great picture of either of us but you hit the nail on the head!

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 8:03pm
AC Folks,
Life goes on in the shop. Used the jib crane to pull the old engine frome the 32 dump truck:

Ruby and new snow:

Assembled the new fresh short block (hidden in all the orange):

Then stabbed it back into the Ford last week:

Truck is back together for engine break in:

Friend John Kelley is working on his 42 Ford in the shop also. A month ago we used the jib to pull the 59AB V8 Flathead engine due to no oil pressure, load easily in his truck and when it came back we stabbed it in his 42 engine bay. All good now!

Had a maple workshop Friday in the living room and kitchen area of the shop with about 15 folks.

Have the shop floor temp set to 60F in the big room and 62F in the kitchen. Trying to maybe save a little propane cost this year??

Have the Jubliee tractor in here for a new waterpump this week. Daughters log spliter looks like it may need a new engine. And the D14 will get a new set of front tires for winter snow plow duties too. 

Hope things are good in orange land!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 13 Nov 2022 at 8:14pm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 11:12pm
Ruby looks alot like our Stormy! and about the same age! enjoy her, we sure enjoy ours! 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2022 at 7:52am
Shameless, Folks,
 Ruby is now in complete control. Vet says I have to cook her chicken livers and give her a tablespoon each day. Heck I dont even cook meals for Cheryl and I! Some red and white blood cell thing? What happend to old farm dogs!:)
Anyway we were in the shop all day yesterday, getting tractors in and out and doing some service. When done I was cold. Temp was set at 60F. When I walked out last night I pushed the up button 3 clicks to 63F! Just have to pay for it! Getting to the old and cold stage in life I guess!
I did get all the Allis tractors started that were setting outside covered with snow. The WD45 was the last to start!
Hope things are good in Orange land! Have great holidays!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 19 Nov 2022 at 7:52am
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2022 at 5:07pm
You're lucky I don't live closer! I LOVE chicken livers! I'd come over and have supper with Ruby. The Golden I bought for an ex, Millie, has dry skin problems. Michelle has to buy her meds to combat that. Really miss that pup!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 7:32am
Mike,
 I like chicken livers also! Will see how this goes! Some shot shots:
The new fronts for the D14. Will need to plow some snow with it today. Nothing like waiting till the last minute to get the 6.00-16 tri-rib Carlisle's on it:

New water pump on the Jubliee:

Another 6 inches of white stuff from you know who!:

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 20 Nov 2022 at 7:34am
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 6:52pm
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 7:23am
Folks ,
Cold again here about 29 with a little snow. Should be deer hunting. In grumpy old man mood I guess. Have that New CA tractor to work on in the shop sometime this winter too.
Ruby and I doing what we do best resting!:

Regards,
Chris
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 7:47am
good to hear you're getting your rest! That pup is sure growing. What does she think of tennis balls?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 2:33pm
  Please keep that show over there. Wife and I got back from Florida November 25 and haven't had any snow here yet, up to 47 today and suppose to be into 50s tomorrow morning before it turns windy and drops to 20. Stay warm and dry.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2022 at 10:41am
Mike,
 She will chase them one time then realizes it not worth the effort and gives up. 
The dog behind the thread!:

Ruby and Cheryl watching Hallmark Christmas shows:

Regards,
Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 8:38pm
AC folks,
Ruby will be a year old in a couple weeks. May 5th.
Regards,
 Chris
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 11:54pm
Chris, good to hear from you!  I was wondering how you were doing and how the maple sugar crop was this year.  My cousin in law, Dale, who you met a couple years ago was pretty worried at first then the weather got in the groove and he got around 40 gallons.  Had some high winds a few weeks ago and lost power for 2.5 days and a tree almost hit the sugar house.   I probably won't get to Ohio until Oct this year as some friends are coming from Europe then.  My aunt is still doing well, will be 101 this June and still has most of her marbles!
Looks like you are making good progress on the CA, hows the truck coming?
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 3:04am
Chris.....save me 2 quarts of syrup, will be making an order soon! I love seeing Ruby in your posts! she and our newest golden could be siblings just by looking at them. there isn't a day goes by that Stormy doesn't test the old lady.....ooooooops....I mean the loving wife....with some kind of orneryness!! good puppy! lol 
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 8:50pm
I'm glad to hear you survived another season! Ruby has the supervisor role down. Can't wait to see the CA when you finish it up.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 8:04pm
Folks,
 There is a Subaru commercial on tv where the car skids to a stop after going through a bunch of mud! Dog in back seat is covered in mud with the window down That would be Ruby!

Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by JohnColo JohnColo wrote:

Chris, good to hear from you!  I was wondering how you were doing and how the maple sugar crop was this year.  My cousin in law, Dale, who you met a couple years ago was pretty worried at first then the weather got in the groove and he got around 40 gallons.  Had some high winds a few weeks ago and lost power for 2.5 days and a tree almost hit the sugar house.   I probably won't get to Ohio until Oct this year as some friends are coming from Europe then.  My aunt is still doing well, will be 101 this June and still has most of her marbles!
Looks like you are making good progress on the CA, hows the truck coming?

John,
 The truck is running good! New engine has 250 miles on the rebuild. Cheryl and I just went to a local car show tonight and had a nice dinner. The 32 Dump Truck preformed very well.
 Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 8:06pm
Ac Folks,
 Brief update on the shop. We just purchased a used two post lift for the shop. It is a rotary brand. rated at 12,000 lb. should work for most everything we have here. Hope to get it cleaned up and installed in a couple weeks.
Also put in a gravel base pad for another building 24 x 32. Not sure that will happen this year but it will be a good start for a cold storage tractor storage building.
Just got back from a week in Dearborn Michigan. Two car shows: Early V8 club, and the Motor Muster, with the 32 dump truck. Toured two museums, the Gilmore and the Henry Ford. Also toured Greenfield village.
Hope things are good in Orange land!
Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl

Edited by Sugarmaker - 20 Jun 2023 at 8:08pm
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 12:56am
Sounds like you two have been busy.  Did you drive the truck or trailer it?  Always good to hear what you are up to.  Remember when we all told you the new shop wasn't big enough??? lol
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 9:07pm
John, folks,
Yes a building is never big enough! ;) Working on the post layout for drilling the holes for the posts in the new mini shop.
Have the framing and laminated post setting here.
Trusses are a couple weeks out.

John, we trailered the 32. About a 5 hour trip with stops. Not sure the ragged ol' truck could make that trip?? :)

We are having changes in our lives as I become much more of a care giver to my wife than I have ever done. She took care of us for 50 years, my time to take a shot at helping her and I get through the days.

Regards,
Chris and Cheryl
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 8:45am
Yeah, a Sugarmaker sighting!

I have new buildings in the works, hope to have a shop-thread of my own next year.

Hoping for the best with Cheryl.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 56>
  Share Topic