This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 8:31pm
A year ago you had money in the bank!
Sponsored Links

Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 10:38pm
Passing on the knowledge and skills, great job Grandpa/Papa/PopPop
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 7:17am
Originally posted by JohnColo JohnColo wrote:

A year ago you had money in the bank!

John, 
You nailed that one!:)
Stroken,
 Papa here Yes its good to get them out and doing some old stuff too!
Regards,
Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 8:21am
I'd MUCH rather have Chris' 'shed than my monely in the bank......
His 'investment' will reap BIG dividends though...
now HE gets to use it...
later on, his kids.....and gran kids, and great,great gran kids......
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 8:57am
GEE Jay... you gots a CONTRACTOR in the family !! GO FOR IT... I bet in 20 years you could have a nice big shed !!  Wink   Thumbs Up  ............. ( sorry, i could not resist.. you set yourself up for that one !)

Edited by steve(ill) - 25 Feb 2021 at 8:59am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 10:33am
hahaha..
he STILL can't answer why HIS building permits says ' install 25mm cistern connection' !!!!
Everyone KNOWS  there will be a well....
and what's with a 25mm connection ? That's ONE friggin INCH ......
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 12:25pm
Shop Talk Followers,
Spent some time drinking coffee and solving all the worlds problems with friend Jim this morning. The loft was maybe 65 and comfortable!

Tuned the two problem doors a little, by raising the hinged end of the jam about a 1/16 on a inch, much better!

For the first time I got my truck and sap lifting attachment in its home position in the shop. I am very glad we added that 4 feet to the north end of the building! Enough room I can walk around both ends of the truck too.

Ready to head out to gather first run sap. Weather is right at freezing so it is keeping good. With some luck I should be boiling by 4:00 this afternoon. Tanks are all washed and sanitized and rinsed. Will try to get some pictures.

Had to play with all the tractors last night to move them around in the shop.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 25 Feb 2021 at 12:25pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 4:56pm
We need pictures!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 7:02am
John,
 Folks,
Maple season is all around us. Gathered 500 gallons of 2% sap yesterday. boiled till 9:30 made 4 gallons of Amber Rich syrup. Very good flavor. (First Run).
Cheryl helping:

Me draining the remote hose at the end of the day.

Each sap storage container had avg 15+ gallons of sap.

Remote pump:

Back to the shop talk, truck with the dump or pump unit on the back in the shop:

Regards,
 Chris
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 7:56am
Chris,
     Looks like you have the syrup routine well under control. You even have some sunshine. Was 18 degrees this morning in central Ohio and to warm up later; good sap weather. Guess our weather will pass on to you. Have fun with the syrup season. Thanks for the pictures. Maybe you will have some of the boiling down procedure? Russell.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 3:03pm
You're having a great spring Chris!!  Got the shop down to a manageable chore and now doing the sap.  It's great that the grandkids are helping out and learning something they will remember the rest of their lives.  GOOD JOB Grampa!

The frozen down spout?  You've got some leaves in there or something else, possibly even a rag.  Don't ask..... LOL
Git er Done...
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 7:18am
You really should start a post just about sugaring. I love your pictures and I bet a lot of others would too !!!
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 9:28am
Originally posted by WF owner WF owner wrote:

You really should start a post just about sugaring. I love your pictures and I bet a lot of others would too !!!

+1! Or post a link to another forum where you have posted the whole process, start to finish, in case you've already done that work on the internet somewhere. I have seen lots of bits and pieces here and there in your threads on here and a lot of us are fascinated by it.

There aren't many big sugar maples here in Kansas!
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 12:10pm
Guys,
 Yes I can start a thread on Sugaring. I will do that too.
I tend to take a lot of it for granted.
There is a similar forum that I visit called Maple Trader. Lots of great information for anybody interested in Maple. This link should get you to that forum. 

Regards,
 Chris
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 2:31pm
Chris, I have meant to post something about this, but I keep putting it off.

Way back, you posted something about the prepping the concrete in your floor for a two post lift. When I built my garage back in 2011, I did the same thing. 

A couple years later, when my wallet had recovered enough to think about a lift, I settled on a 9000 lb. two post lift from Greig Smith Equipment. I talked to the salesman at their location in Massachusetts and decided to make a road trip to pick it up. 

When I got there (I had a Ford F-350 4x4 dually diesel at the time), the salesman asked me what I was hoping to do with the lift. He told me, that since all four "arms" of the lift are rated equally, he wouldn't recommend trying to pick up the diesel with a 9000 lb. two post lift (front end is much heavier than the rear). 

He also pointed out that vehicles do fall off two post lifts. He recommended their four post extra long, extra wide, extra tall lift with a rolling jack. After listening to him. I followed his suggestion. Now, I an very happy that I did !

The four post doesn't have to be bolted down. It came with four "wheels". I can lift the ramps up slightly, put the four wheel assemblies on (with one pin in each, in about two minutes), drop the ramps down, which picks up the four posts and, with a helper, move the lift around in the garage or even out onto the driveway.

But that is not the only reason I really like the four post. 

On several occasions, I have used the lift to pick up tractors. I have to change the hydraulic fluid and clean up the screen on one of my D-17's soon and it will be going up on the lift. When I changed my WD45 from WFE to narrow, I supported the tractor with chains suspended with the lift up. I have used it, the same way, to split tractors.

I built a frame to put in the middle, so I can put my compact tractor on it to replace or sharpen mower deck blades

When I was working and had a work truck to drive home, I parked my truck on the lift, picked it up and parked my work truck under it.

When I have a car or truck on it, I don't worry about the vehicle falling off, when I am working on it.

I was sure I wanted a two post lift and now, especially with as much as I use it for the tractors, I am very happy I went with a four post.

Something to think about.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 7:22am
WF,
Folks,
 Thank you for the first hand information on the lift systems. I will consider this 4 post option if I ever get to that point in this project!Smile I do like the idea of having a stable unit to work on. Sounds somewhat more robust than 2 post. 

Some random shots on shop things:
Outside outlets (2):

Bathroom walls started, Uesd rat run steel along the base. 3/4 CDX plywood for the wall for the boiler and piping systems.

Snuck both items in behind the PEX:

LPG line coming into feed the boiler, the electrical 110, and the thermostat wires on the fight side of the boiler per the installer:

Since we are under the stairway this adds a nice level of complexity to the pieces:

Hope things are good in Orange land.
Off to work on something, list is long!:)
Regards,
 Chris
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 12:34pm
Lookin' great, Chris!!!
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 11:17am
Say rat run... Is this a metal flashing to go along the base to help deter rodents?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Strokendiesel002 Strokendiesel002 wrote:

Say rat run... Is this a metal flashing to go along the base to help deter rodents?

Yes it greatly minimizes the chances of rodents from getting in the humps of steel siding on the exterior of a steel sided building. I am of course using it in a totally different area of the shop. I thought it would be good to keep the wood up off the floor.
Just completed the plumbing hook up in the basement to bring water to the shop.  Then in the shop bath area, I am working on getting the plumbing in place coming out of the floor, to the boiler, and to the cold water system. Noodling out this stuff is good for the old brain. I think!
Will get some pictures.
Regards, 
Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 11:45am
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

Lookin' great, Chris!!!

Thanks Dave, 
A challenge staying on task at this time of the year with syrup season in full swing too.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 6:44am
Folks,
 Weather was cold, too cold for making syrup so back to play in the shop. I have been procrastinating very well on getting water line connected in the basement to service this shop. So yesterday was the day.
Made the connections from the line on the left (sugarhouse) to the new line on the right (shop) Basic plumbing here.

Back in the shop I now have the incoming line with a shutoff:

Spaced out the 3/4 line from the wall:

In hind site I think the unions should go in after the shut off. I always get this backwards!
Would like to get the hot and cold water lines run around under the stairs because I think when the boiler is installed a tank is going back in there, and it will be hard to get in that area. Still putting up wall panels too. I can't seem to finish one thing before another task gets in the way!:)

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 04 Mar 2021 at 8:17pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 6:51am
Originally posted by Strokendiesel002 Strokendiesel002 wrote:

I mis-spoke I think this is called rat guard not rat run. Sorry about that.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 7:22am
Folks,
 Boiler install to happen next Tuesday. Things have changed a little, and that did not surprise me. Even before the heating installer called, I felt there would be a different boiler in the mix. Just the way things are going right now. So he informed me the boiler he has secured for me will be a Lochinvar Noble 155 Combi. He says they are good. I am just the customer. It is a fire tube type boiler which is the only type he recommends installing. 

So I need to get off the couch and be ready for the install!

Sure we will have pictures!
Need to go rob the piggy bank for this portion of the project! Goal is to have some heat for our March Maple event Northwestern PA Maple Taste and Tour! www.pamaple.org

Regards,
 Chris
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 2:30pm
The way our temp is going up and down the syrup should really be running good.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 8:16pm
t,
 The temps have now dipped to low and the sap stopped running about 10 last night. 
Next warm spell should be Monday.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 8:10pm
Folks,
 Wife wants the bathroom to be functional by next week end for our Maple open house. Well that means I need to get off the couch and do something. Went to local home center and picked up more plywood and some spar varnish to cover it. Should be a interesting weekend. I set a little heater in the bath room. turned it to 68 and it was nice and toasty in there. 
Also put some insulation over my stairway to see if zone 1 heated up better with the little ventless LPG heater.
Hope things are good in Orange land!
 Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 05 Mar 2021 at 8:11pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 7:28pm
Oh man, hope you had a productive day! There's always a "catch" to getting what we want :) disappoint her now and any future upgrades could be met with resistance 😂
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 10:36am
Folks,
 Finally have a plan for wall and ceiling coverings in the shop utility/ bath room. The walls will be the 3/4 inch CDX plywood sanded on one side. Not top of the line but it will be fine. This should allow all the pluming accessories to be mounted where ever. For the ceiling which is only the under side of the stairs, 4 feet wide and 12 feet long. It will be the white steel liner panels trimmed with white "J" channel. Should be just fine. Got up early and applied a half gallon of Urethane varnish to the wood. 

Cant get good pictures in there, just small. 
Thanks for checking on me. Hope things are good out there in Orange Land!

Grandson is now a Ford owner! Traded his 2500 RAM for this 2020 F250 super crew long bed. 

May have another project for the shop this spring/ summer. Our youngest son is thinking of buying a Ford Transit and converting it to a moble home. He wants to travel more. Currently he is located out west. The converting part is what we might tackle??
Regards,
 Chris

Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 3:35pm
Chris, I sent you a PM, if you didn't get it, please let me know!  Dave
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 7:00pm
Dave,
 Looking forward to meeting you and your wife next week end to sample some maple syrup with us! 
Regards,
 Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 56>
  Share Topic