This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 4:23pm
Well Folks,
Right or wrong I picked up some heavy 3/4 plywood. its CDX sanded on one side. Not cheap but if I can get it hug up it its going to be "not much for looks but hell for stout" as my dad would say! I will take some pictures. I did think about the textured sheets of plastic too. I like the looks of that!

Tired and didnt do anything yet today? 
Boiling syrup:

Adding the ingredients for maple BBQ sauce:

Ready to blend syrup and ketchup mix:

From 180F its cooled to place in final jars:

Mild weather on its way. So things will start in motion for making maple syrup this spring also. Sure doesn't feel like any warmth at 23 degrees and snowing.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 19 Feb 2021 at 4:31pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

Grayray View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grayray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 8:54pm
Chris, you are right, plywood may not look quite as nice, but it sure will be more durable.  Many years ago in the Fire Department banquet hall that was rented for weddings and other events, we had a problem with drunks trashing and punching big holes in the paneling in the men's room.  We were getting tired of fixing the wall and tried several things, but to no avail.  We finally paneled the room with T-111 siding.  Wasn't the prettiest thing, but we never had to fix the walls again.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 2:54pm
Folks,
 The rat guard trim for around the base of the bathroom.

Walk doors, yea we have a lot of doors: Picked up hardware similar to outside doors at local Do It Center.

Have a ice dam issue on this corner, call into the insulation folks to come and check it out too. Doesn't seem correct.

Hope to get the walk doors in place in zone 1 in the next few days. Neighbor came over and helped unload them. Nice!

Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 3:01pm
The insulation guy will blame the electrician for putting a light there.....
now can you FIND the electrician ? LOL

gotta ask.. what's the yellow cube in the bed, above the hitch sleeve, in the first truck picture ?
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 3:27pm
The sad thing, not being there, doing a inspection to see the correct method, in person,  and procedures needed, sounded good there! The light might be a factor?  Not sure, but interesting to find out the outcome of why??  Not pointing any fingers here!!!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 7:15pm
Folks,
 Jay, Dave,
 Have 8 lights and only have issues near 2 of them. I believe I can rule out the lights. They are in the soffit so any heat should go up the vents? 
The building has the loft at that end and the heat is going up the stairwell into that area. The loft ceiling is closer to the peak too. I thing there is a leak in the insulation in the loft but may be wrong. More investigative work to do on the ice dam issue.

The yellow ball in the tailgate is the old man's step handle. A must have when you reach 60. Tailgate has step that pulls out. Very handy for getting up into the truck bed!

Got the two walk doors set in place in zone 1. Not plumbed or fastened in place yet. They look good!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 20 Feb 2021 at 7:16pm
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 10:44pm
I don't have the step handle, but I do have a two step stool that I ALWAYS carry in the back of the truck.  Sure brings that tail gate a little close for stepping on!!
I'd say you have a little heat loss on those two spots.  Those lights are NOT going to cause that.  Are they both on the sunny side of the shed?  I don't think that would be the cause though.  I'm thinking heat loss somewhere up above or in the soffit area.
LOOKIN GOOD!!

TOO bad you don't have more room to park, we could have a GOTO at your place!! SmileWink

Edited by Ted J - 20 Feb 2021 at 10:45pm
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 7:28am
Ted,
Yes I believe I have some heat loss, now finding it may be the fun part! 
I would like to attend a GOTO. Have never been to one. Just like a lot of othere things in life!Smile
Hope things are good in Orange Land!
 Making two batches of Spicy Maple BBQ this morning. Weather is supposed to turn warmer. Hope someone tells mother nature, It was about 6 degrees here this morning. Very crispy and crunchy!

Goal is to try to get the two walk doors hung today in zone 1!

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 11:57am
Folks,
 Tucked some insulation in some spots up near the edged of the wall in the loft. hard to know if its done anything?

Went to Napa to buy a belt for a Old Cub lawn tractor I mown with, and came home with a new jump pack for starting tractors and thing. Have enough stock around that a jump may be required at times.

Here is what the walk doors look like. Fiberglass doors, full composite jambs 6-9/16 wide jamb matches my wall thickness pretty good. Should trim out ok. Bath and compressor door are solid.

hardware/ latch, these should match the outer doors pretty well too:

To busy visiting and making maple BBQ to get any real work done yet today. 
Have to get off the couch!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 21 Feb 2021 at 12:31pm
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 12:07pm
GREAT !!! 'paddle' levers.... 'someone' was SMART !!!!

Getting ready for the mess of YUCKY snow and rain tomorow morning ???

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 12:42pm
Jay,
 Folks,
 Yucky snow and rain is perfect for maple syrup weather. Thanks for the warning! I always say that we make syrup in some of the worst weather of the year. Just what you have to do to get that crop in!

Yes I love these handles after we put them in the doors on the house. Just had to have them on the shop too!Smile
Regards,
 Chris
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 2:24pm
WHAT  !! No picture window for the bathroom ? Wink

as i get older i like them paddle door handles more and more !

Edited by steve(ill) - 21 Feb 2021 at 2:25pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 4:58pm
I call them German door handles as that is what they had in the barracks in Germany.  I like them also on my house but I've heard they are easier to break into.  Last month a bear broke into a house in the mountains west of me.  Was able to pull down the handle and use it's considerable bulk to push the door open.  They know how to open Subaru doors too, but haven't figured out how to get out once in.  Very hard on the interior!

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 7:59pm
Folks,
 Walk doors are in place. Just normal detailing. Getting the gaps close, doors plumb, shim and attach. Add hardware and bingo. instant doors!

Regards,
 Chris

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 9:23am
Looking great, we have the same type door handle thru out or home also, was planning for our retirment years
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 10:30am
tadams,
Thanks!
 Folks,
I did get the air compressor door hung this morning. 

30 inch, swings into the room so the jamb is on the inside.

Just as designed:

Small things on the shop details. I may get the bathroom door in tomorrow? Keep poking at it.
I realized I made my air inlet and outlet the wrong size for std furnace filters. Most are 16 x 25. I will have figure that one out later. I have two openings 16 x 16. 

Off to do the maple thing today, yea its yucky outside! Perfect!
 Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 22 Feb 2021 at 10:42am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 4:31pm
This maple thing:
Ready to head out with the pallets and the storage containers: Have about 30 locations.

First one in place:

5 hours later, last one in position, somehow lost a lid in my travels??

Shop issues: continued heat loss causing ice dam in one spot. Also seems like one down spout is froze solid about 6 feet above ground. Is that possible??? Weird. If that is true I have a problem some where. Its not the same corner as the ice dam. 
Regards,
 Chris

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 4:54pm
We also have the Schlage Paddle style and Yes for OLD poor grip slick callous skinned hands, or a knee when arms full.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

We also have the Schlage Paddle style and Yes for OLD poor grip slick callous skinned hands, or a knee when arms full.

Agreed after having these it is much easier access than a conventional knob style.

Regards,
 Chris
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 6:11pm
how many "TAPS" in each tree ? How far do you move the TAP location from year to year ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 8:15pm
Steve, Folks,
 These larger road side trees can have three or four taps per tree. These are the small tree saver 5/16 dia plastic spouts. The smaller holes allow the tree to heal quicker. We move several inches over and up or down to find new sap wood each year. When we moved from buckets to the gravity tubing it gave us a higher "new" zone on the tree to tap. Each tap on average should produce a quart of maple syrup per season. The season can be from 4 to 8 weeks long.

Regards,
 Chris

EricPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 9:32pm
Looking good! But I see one problem,glass in the man doors. Makes it harder to nap and not get caught when the misses is looking for you!
Life is tough,but it's tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 1:33am
He can always put up a curtain!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 5:58am
Folks interested in shop talk,
The glass in the interior doors. Well I have windows in everything else and wanted to have some natural light and viewing through the shop too. Yea thats it!

I did get the bath door in place. It and several others are a little stiff/ tight when at the final close position. Not a door expert here so probably dont have them tuned in / attached to the jambs properly?

Off to tap the sugarbush today Temp is 34, slippery snow on the ground. My friend Gerry is going to be the tap setter. I drill the holes he follows and places and gently sets the plastic tap into the holes. Might get most of them done today. If you can believe Accu-weather in our neck of the woods we could have a sap run every day for the next 2 weeks! Humm, Maybe I need to step it up a notch!?

Thanks for checking on me! Hope things are good in Orange land! I need to fire up a Allis soon too!
Regards,

Edited by Sugarmaker - 23 Feb 2021 at 6:05am
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 8:03am
I have more ice jams this year than I ever had, I am blaming it on the weather and one of my spootings that was frozen on the down spout I took wife hair dryer and heated to get it unfrozen.
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 3:28pm
Chris.  I have set hundreds of doors, and I always set the close/latch a bit snug on them.  After a few weeks, they will loosen up, for the weatherstrip in you case is a little cool, and new. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 6:15pm
Folks,
I did start on the fit of the bathroom door. The hinges were cut in a little deep and not quite square. So the hinge was angled back a little. Tried to shim them but now need to adjust the stricker side, for the door to close. Just ran out of time. May go out after supper and play.

Just getting in from a day away from the shop. Friend Gerry and I tapped about 400 taps between 10:30 and 2:30 and I did the other 200 after that. All in all done. Sit back and wait for a sap run now!

I think we will be busy with making syrup in the next few days. Tanks to clean, Evaporator to rinse. Load the gathering tank on the truck and get the pumps cleaned and tested. The normal drill. BTDT. Others in the area are tapping or have tapped so this warming spell will start the sap flow in our neck of the woods.

Did you know that the majority of maple syrup is made within 200 miles of the Great Lakes? We are in the zone being 10 miles south of Lake Erie.

Regards,
 Chris
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 9:18pm
also appears that your rain gutter is to high in that corner.
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 8:17am
Shop is coming along nicely!

Congrats on setting all the taps and getting all your lines run, I did not know about the 200 mile thing, but now that you mention it, most of the maple syrup that I've purchased has all been from areas that fit that bill!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 3:52pm
Folks,
A year ago this time the shop was only a dream or wish. Be careful what you wish for!
Sap is running and we will gather tomorrow morning. Might be several hundred gallons of sap for the first run.
Helped tap the neighbors sugarbush this afternoon. About 400 taps.
Also Rhett and Cooper tapped their 12 buckets in the back yard also.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 24 Feb 2021 at 4:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 56>
  Share Topic