This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 6:06am
Jay,
 The loft is still not easy to get to, since only a extension ladder can get you there. But I may be taking bids on that area if your interested!:)
I thought the same thing about the insulation behind that panel. It always seems there is something that needs done before you can do the next thing!
Hoping to be able to move insulation into that area. Now that I think of it I have pieces of the floor foam in 2 inch thickness that would slide right in there. Two layers of it would be R20. So that will be what I put in there. Good suggestion!
 Regards,
 Chris 
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 7:33am
Chris,

Did I mention putting all of your pics into a GIF when you are done?  I think that would be a nice finishing touch for the project.  Good luck with your pex loops.  I wishing for no leaks for you!

John
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 7:54am
Still contemplating the 'Next' location, smaller property with simpler housing, pex in floors and steel structure for exterior spray foam insulated for efficiency, key Point NO Stairs used routinely.  Separate housing area within a larger structure to house Everything I intend to keep around but reduce the grounds keeping and efforts to draw me away from relaxing and touring more.

A place we can place Sis In Law kind of as a live in watch person so she does not have expenses and CAN retire as well, where we can live efficiently and quietly for long term.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 8:01pm
John, DMiller, Folks,

John,
Thanks! Not sure on the GIF thing??? But I do have a lot of pictures!

DMiller, Sounds like you have a plan! Make it happen were not getting any younger!:)

Final position of the manifolds:

Did get the layout complete or the PEX. 
Sweeps in position for the pex to come through up to the manifolds.

900 foot roll of tubing:

9 runs of tubing layed out.

Rough lay out of tubing:

Will try to install some pex tomorrow.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 7:57am
Chris, not to sound critical, which way are you installing your toilet? IF your setting it with the tank toward your manifold, will the tank clear the manifold?
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 2:04pm
just a query... green 90s

I'm not a fan of those 'green' 90* elbows..... ANY elbow in any 'flow' is bad for it...
someone, somewhere said a 4" air duct elbow is = to 10' of straight pipe.

I figure the PEX boys know this, but I'd prefer the In/Out to be on the right side of the manifolds....
just me, getting old and grumpy. maybe spending 1/2 day in a 18" crawl space is why ??
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 3:19pm
A thought on the supply/returns around the toilet flange. I like the idea of toasty toes when doing your business but...I went to a leaking toilet call years ago where they had a warm floor similar to yours and the water temperature was warm enough to soften the wax seal and caused it to fail. The fix for that was a foam gasket in place of the wax. You could also lower the water temp. Mine rarely gets above 95 unless really cold outside. Just food for thought.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 8:53pm
Folks,
 Plan is for the tank to be 90 degrees to the manifolds.
 In hind site I would have liked to move the toilet flange out away from the wall more. My fault, I said 15 inches. Forgot about the manifolds being there.

The green 90's. Yes it would be preferred if the manifolds went the other way but the temp indicator would be useless. Also would have had to route the pipes over top of one another at some point I think?  Could have staggered one set high and one low. I dont have the panel in hand so i am not sure of the inlet outlet for the panel connections. Agreed, more design work could have been spent in this area.
I did design work for 20 years. And as soon as you had a review, changes were made.

Humm. Yes floor could be toasty. Wax ring might not work?

Was not well today. Feeling some better tonight.
May try to install pex tomorrow.

Thanks to (hd1937) Jim for the help getting the PEX into manageable bundles!

The leaning power pole is down but still in the yard. 
Can I wait to shave when its actually off the property? See what the wife says about that!Smile
Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 26 Sep 2020 at 5:55am
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 1:03am
firewood!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 5:40am
re: firewood

be CAREFUL ! Lotta hidden thumbtacks, nails, screws and busted off 3/8" bolts can be 'magically made to reappear with a chainsaw !!!!!
Had a free deal , 30-35 old hydro poles, I passed on. Hit one nail and $30 bandsaw blade is toast....

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 6:46am
Folks,
 The power pole is spoken for by the guy from the phone company, his friend wants it for a sign post. So it will get a new life.
I had thought about cutting it up too. it does have lots of hardware on it.
We do miss the night light! Just don't realize how much those illuminate the area.
Regards,
Chris 

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 3:08pm
Can't you raise the panel so it clear the toilet tank 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 4:01pm
hmm.. if you took the panel off, turned it upside down, reinstalled, swap red knobs for blue knobs, you'ld make 3 of us happy !
NO 90s for me
tadams can clear the seat
'cleaner' install for you !!!
oh yeah, valves are higher so easier to shut off when needed...

Jay

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 7:29pm
Folks,
 Great suggestions! Will see how this all comes together. There maybe some surprises and I may have to change some things a little. We keep moving forward. Design firm reviewed the layout and had no issues yet. 
Pex install today:

Jim B helping get this red tubing in place. 9 lines, 300 feet long. About a half mile of pex in place today. 

Regards,
 Chris
hd1937 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hd1937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 9:07pm
He worked me like a rented mule . Did have a good lunch. Was glad to help out, Chris has come to my rescue in the past and it was nice to return the favor. That was not a one man job. Maybe if it had been done before the learning curve would have been shorter. All in all went pretty smooth.

Jim
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 6:01am
Jim, Folks,
Hope your shoulder is ok! We made a lot of moves. But we did not have to get down on the floor and zip tie 1500 places. The walking stapler did a real nice job of securing the PEX even in the bends. 
It sure helped that Jim can "read" the tubing, to unroll it correctly and get the swirls out as we went along! His work with bigger main line maple tubing helped make this much easier!

I added the remaining 600 staples last night. 

Attaching to the mainfolds and pressure testing in the near future. 50 psi max.

Will begin to get ready for cement today.

They will fill the jib post with a yard of concrete this morning, a half a bucket at a time!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 12 Apr 2021 at 7:34am
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 8:45am
I think the out and return lines ( red) look great.. Thats what i would have done.. staggered two levels works good.

The question i had in the beginning was the green SUPPLY and RETURN lines.. Picture shows a couple of 90 degree bends.... I would see if you could  sweep the tube and build a 180 degree loop out of it without the elbows... Maybe that is the plan and just hard to tell in the 2D drawing..... or at a minimum. put a big 90 degree fitting into the manifold pointed straight up, then sweep the tube up and 90 degrees to the right.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 7:56pm
If you can sketch it I will look at your designs. Did not quite follow the 180 degree loop thing? Not really sure how much of a flow restriction is happening in one of these, Not sure its high flow rates. Not high pressure only about 50 PSI.

Busy today:
 With help, filled the jib crane post with a yard of concrete.

Neighbor had this 2 inch offset for the toilet flange. That will help. My cement guy installed this new offset. 

Son Adam was the barber and made me look presentable again. 

Will try to connect the PEX to the manifolds tomorrow. Then pressure test. Also plan to go and have a good steak dinner!
Hope things are good out there!
Regards,
 Chris

hd1937 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hd1937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 8:14pm
Lookin’ good Chris👍
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 9:04pm
Folks,
 Attempting to make head way on the shop project. We installed 98% of the the wire mesh. 60 sheets.

Worked on attaching all the return lines to the upper manifolds:

Regards,
 Chris

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 2:20pm
Time marches on!  Great job so far Chris.  You know, just READING this thread is a LOT OF WORK!!  Then there is the planning,,,,,,getting the better half on board,,,,$$$$$.  It's mind dazzling is what it is.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 7:44pm
Ted,
Yea I go overboard a little. Hope things are going to get better for your family soon. I know your going through some tough times.

Allis Folks,

I hooked up the hot side of the manifolds. 

Got the valves tightened and pressurize the system:
Larger zone 2

Small zone 1.

Holding at just under 20 psi all day.  We are supposed to get some rain so I tarped the doors to try to keep some of the weather and rain out.

Maggie has been helping too!

Regards,
 Chris

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 8:02pm
Chris, i was just wondering about eliminating a couple quick 90 elbows and joints. Probably not a big deal . As you said, minimal water flow.

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 11:16pm
what ya gonna use for fluid?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 6:05am
Folks,
Thanks for the sketch. Still 180 turn, but more gentle. Might help but will probably just use the std elbows. Had to set down a minute or two when I got the price for the panel and boiler unit. Yikes the cost of the details add up! 

The recommendation is to use a glycol solution in the system. They have a container and a pump system that comes with the system. Unsure if there is another way to fill the system? Looks like kind of a one time usage thing?

I checked the PEX system pressure this morning and it was about 17 psi. Both systems were identical so I think it was due to temperature changes.

We had a shower come through last evening. Have about a inch of water near the one drain. Had a brain fade and should have put two drains in the large bay area. One in each bay. That would have minimized the amount of slope. Pretty sure that is too late to change. Lots of stuff in place now. Hard to have all these little items/details in your head when you start on a project like this.

Looking forward to the cement in place soon. 

Missing that window. It is supposed to be built today, in a dark plant in West Virginia. Amazing technology we have today. Like McDonald, windows are now made to order one at a time. You would think a window company might have a extra window or two made to fit a 3 x 4 rough opening? 

Hope things are good in Orange land!

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 8:39am
yup, PSI is related to temperature and what the barometer says.... You got a LOT of plastic pipe !
re: windows.... there are 'stock sizes' ( think Homerdepot....) but limited selection( trim colour, openers, argon or not, etc.

neighbour's house mae from 'Flintstone blocks filled with concrete', drawing said 3x4  window, hole made for 4x3 window !! That was a real 'problem', took all day to saw the new opening....mde me decide ICPs(sp) were a better system...same R value.

2 drains vs 1....oh well, considering the 1,000s of 'minor' details NOT the end of the World...that'll be 10 minutes after the Sun goes dark.

Jay

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 2:45pm
Jay,
 Yes, Thanks for the jerk back to reality! Smile
Things will turn out Ok or you live with them!
Regards,
 Chris
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 7:08pm
They reason is that they don't want ANY inventory laying around.  That's money out of their pocket.....  One here or there is not good for them, but when you order 20 or more.  There's too many places that have a LOT of windows sitting around in corners cause of one reason or the other.
Too bad about the drains....I was gonna say something about it, but forgot at the time and then......  Around here, we're not even allowed to HAVE floor drains. (Something done pre inspection and then after the pour) hehehe.
You could still do it, but it'd make the final pour a lot harder.  Just buy a couple of good squeegee's and worry no more.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
hd1937 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hd1937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 7:26pm
There's that squeegy thing we talked about a couple of days ago!👍
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 8:22pm
Ted, Jim, Folks,
Hoping to not own a squeegee! I have a plan to shim a potential 2 post lift base as needed. Going for the water movement first. 
 Air is still holding in the tubing. Shop is cleaned up, all the wire is down. The flooring will be the next step.
We are shifting gears slightly to have a Maple open house Oct 10 and 11th. This should keep me busy for a couple days!:)

Nice fall day shot out the front door of our sugarhouse:

Not shop related, making Maple Mustard:
Our great grandson Rhett told me as he watched that he has to have this on his baloney sandwich!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 29 Sep 2020 at 8:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 56>
  Share Topic