Unofficial Allis Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

semi drivers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: semi drivers
    Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 5:02pm
OK, taking a 'straw pole' here..

I was taught 50 year ago that when a 'big rig', 'semi', signals he wants your lane to flash your headlights to tell him 'the lane is clear'. After he's in your lane, HE would turn his trailer lights on/off as a 'thank you'.

I did this maybe 15-20 times today and NO acknoweldge from the truckers !

so...is this no longer done?? am I an old goat ?? what gives ??

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 5:18pm
Thank today's driving (steering wheel holder) schools; IE: J.B. hunt, Swift, Schiender and the likes. As long as a human that has a heartbeat can follow the GPS arrow to get from A to B that about all the big companies care about today.  My pet peeve are the ones that hog the middle lane climbing a mountain with their wimpy company trucks. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 5:44pm
Nope - now a car will cut you off or if you signal to change lanes they will speed up to get along side of you then if you slow down - they will also - then speed up and give you the 1 finger salute . 
 Rules from way back driving mean nothing now - it's everyone for them selves .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 7:45pm
It WAS all about being helpful, courteous and a good driver.  Most of the idiots on the road anymore don't even know where they've BEEN, much less where they're going.
The old ways are dying, along with all of us old timers.  Once in a while I'll get an acknowledgement, but not very often anymore.  It's all about the money and ME first.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 7:49pm
Swift, swift, did I hear somebody mention swift?

And, dat's de secon time he done did it...Wink
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 7:54pm
He drives like my wife She still hasn't figured out how to miss a curb
If you raise your kids you can spoil your grandkids. If you spoil your kids you will raise your grandkids.

Paitience is a bitter cup from which only the strong can drink
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 8:09pm
I will still flash my headlamps to let a passing trucker know he is clear to move back in the lane and find I am acknowledged about half the time .
I will also move if I am making a left turn into the left ( if no oncoming traffic is present) lane so the trucker behind can stay off his brakes and again about have the time I will see the " thank you"
double flash of brakelights as they fly by, some times a little
toot toot thank you from their air horns. So there are some truckers
with class out there yet .
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 9:08pm
usually if on the interstate, I don't drive the top speed limit so they pass quite often, I will turn my headlights off when the back 10-15 ft of the trailer is even with me, then when it's safe for them to come back into my lane i'll turn my headlights back on. leave the park lights on when turning off the headlights so they can still see where i'm at. 99 out of 100 will always thank me. I can still see where i'm going from their headlights. this at night time. if in the day time, when they are 10-15 ft left of the trailer i'll turn my headlights on, then when it's safe for them to come in, i'll turn them off. it helps them not to cut us off, which they wouldn't mean to do. but there's a better chance of it without this type help. not all drivers have long distance vision.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 9:32pm
I always signal them that they can get over to the right and will slow down and signal them if they want/need to move left to pass.  I stay back at intersections if I see a truck turning and give them all the room I can.  It's dropped off significantly on receiving any kind of recognition, but I continue doing it, cause they are bigger than me and can do lot's of damage if the are forced to.  I attribute the change to the younger drivers not realizing they should acknowledge you.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 9:33pm
I have a 91 BMW motorcycle that has a winker built into the dimmer switch.
JarrodACFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JarrodACFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 10:18pm
I was taught to flash my lights for truckers or anyone with a trailer for that matter. I'd say the "thank you rate" is around 30%. Kind of like you guys have said, if it's a big company, they usually don't notice or care, but if it's an owner operator, they usually will. I know I appreciate it when people do it for me.
1956 WD45 Narrow Front Factory Power Steering, 1953 WD Wide Front
Allis Express in Muncie, IN
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 10:31am
A lot of unwritten rules that used to be honored are no longer acceptable to the younger crowd. Takes their limited attention span away, they fail to justify cordiality or gratuitous effort, as Coke said, all for themselves these days.

I had my 180 on a my Gooseneck, passed a slower moving semi, he flashed I had room where I started to move over, stupid WOMAN began a dart in between us and almost got taken out while I was using a signal and had well in advance signaled intent AND was already moving into lane. Needless to say she got all riled up, was yelling something I could not hear(truck is diesel) and shaking the magic IQ finger just as a MoSHP pulled up behind her and let her know she was caught. Lights siren and all. I got a call if wanted to witness the Aggressive Driving Charge against her and I said yes. Cop had my license number for the reference.

Not only Female but a African American female, I was running 75mph with my load, she ran up on me like I was standing still. Seems in MO if black can get away with speeding as the call it profiling if pulled over, tickets cancelled out per the MoSHP officer so needed a witness to the aggressive action to make it stick.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic