This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rustoleum Allis Chalmers orange

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 1:26pm
On my old crusty D 15 I used a scotchbrite ? pad on my drill . Works pretty well . Think I bought it at home Depot . Also just put a new 3 point hitch on . Mine is a snap coupler though . Haven't tried it yet but it looks pretty robust Thanks
Sponsored Links

RAR45110 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAR45110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 2:46pm
I bought a D12 from an ex Allis Chalmers employee who reportedly painted it PO#2 instead of PO#1 like it was supposed to be.  He did this because he had the PO #2 paint.  Anyway, I used the rattle can Rustoleum from Home Depot to paint the PTO pulley and it is difficult if not impossible to see the difference.  I ordered rattle can PO#1 for my B that I am restoring.

Bob 
When asked how it feels to be the smartest man alive, Albert Einstein answered, "I do not know, you'll have to ask Nikola Tesla."
1938 B, 1938 B, 1942 B, 1959 D10, 1959 D12
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 3:05pm
Hmmmm.........I've been told the paint color a D15 left West Allis wearing was PO 2.

Is there a general consensus as to which is the correct color?

BTW, I have the color chips for Van Sickle rattle can enamel paints from Orschlens and it includes 3 different AC orange paints (PO 1, PO 2 and Corporate Orange), plus one for Kubota, which is in the same ballpark.

modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 3:10pm
[QUOTE=ACinSC]On my old crusty D 15 I used a scotchbrite ? pad on my drill . Works pretty well . Think I bought it at home Depot . Also just put a new 3 point hitch on . Mine is a snap coupler though . Haven't tried it yet but it looks pretty robust Thanks[/QUOTE]

Where did you get the new 3 point hitch?

Can you share a photo?

If you would prefer, I have a different thread for the D15 3 point hitch replacement. That might be a better place for the comments and photo.

ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 5:27pm
Got it from Jim at OK tractor . Dunno how to post a pic . Sorry
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by ACinSC ACinSC wrote:

Got it from Jim at OK tractor . Dunno how to post a pic . Sorry

Does it resemble this? This was on OK Tractor website and was made by Cross Manufacturing in MO. It is one I'm looking at.

Seems to me it should have the same functional use as a factory 3 point.....but is stronger.

ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 5:42pm
No , it's the wishbone? that slides in the snap coupler with the lift arms . It is a Cross .
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 7:02pm

Edited by Don(MO) - 14 Mar 2019 at 8:24am
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 9:09pm
Auto paint store near me will mix PPG 60080 and put it in a spray can for around $8.00, just sayin'.....
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 6:45am
For a primer, I use Plastikotes sandable Enamel primer. Nothin' trick. Covers great, lays down nice and you can sand it if you dust enough coats on it. The Chebby Orange sticks right to it and stays quite durable. If you want to get real fancy, they make a clear that you can lay over the 200 Orange. Gives it some depth. Its whatever you want to do.. HTH
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 2:57pm
As for cleaning the oily greasy parts, I have used Easy Off Oven cleaner from the dollar store.  Cleans all the crap off with minimal work.  Paints over real well, and I have not noticed any issues with anything I have painted.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 10:19pm
I went looking for some PlastiKote 200 and everyone is out.  There were a number of places that HAD it, but they were all out so I sent an email to Valspar.......

My question as sent to Valspar;
I am having a hard time finding any of the following:PlastiKote 200 Chevrolet Orange Engine Enamel, 12 oz.
I live in La Crosse, WI and need to find some of this. CarID.com used to carry it, but they don't have any. Have you discontinued it?
Thanks, Ted

Their response;

Ted,
    Thank you for contacting Valspar.  We appreciate your frustration at not being able to locate one of our products.  This product is no longer available.  We would suggest that you look at an online retailer such as Amazon.com or Walmart.com to see if they have any product in inventory.  We would also suggest that you look at the Duplicolor (prod. #DE1607) or VHT (prod. #SP119) aerosol paints to see if there is a good crossover product as well.

We appreciate your inquiry.

Best Regards,
Lisa Friberg
Product Support

SO,,,,,,,,I'm guessing we have to go look at Duplicolor (prod. #DE1607) or VHT (prod. #SP119) or go to PPG or like I will do, go to https://www.amacservicesinc.com/
His handle on here is amac    his name is Merlin Boshart and he has EXCELLENT PO1, I've used it.  He'll put it into spray cans for you.  GREAT!!!  I did some touch up on my C a number of years ago and you still can't see any fading.  Go to the site and contact him.  While you're there, look over some of his work.

Edited by Ted J - 14 Mar 2019 at 10:20pm
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 3:57pm
Dadgum Rust-Oleum nozzle just stopped up in the middle of my D 15 breather cup spray . Never had that happen before . Luckily I have a new can and that nozzle finished the job . The humidity is 53% here in my shop . Maybe that caused it ?
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 4:48pm
You shook it to hard.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 5:40pm
Maybe so .
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by modirt modirt wrote:

Hmmmm.........I've been told the paint color a D15 left West Allis wearing was PO 2.

Is there a general consensus as to which is the correct color?

BTW, I have the color chips for Van Sickle rattle can enamel paints from Orschlens and it includes 3 different AC orange paints (PO 1, PO 2 and Corporate Orange), plus one for Kubota, which is in the same ballpark.

Never got an answer to my D15 paint color question.....I can now understand why. Its complicated.

But......just found this.

https://stores.djstractorparts.com/allis-chalmers-paint-guide/

I followed advice given and used PO2.

Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 8:27pm
I've have been told that Krylon is a product of Sherman Williams.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 12:03am
I have almost NO experience painting farm equipment, but a small amount painting other stuff.

Perhaps someone with more experience than me can address this better, but it seems to me what gets lost in the shuffle with all this talk of paints is the paint chemistry. The Van Sickle paints are alkyd (oil based) enamels. Most of the other rattle cans are water based acrylics......and some being mentioned I think are water based urethane or polyurethane auto paints.....and use epoxy primers and such. Not all of these are compatible with each other......leading to blistering, peeling, etc.

The main reason I've shied away from painting is the level of prep work required for a good job, PLUS when I've attempted to dig into what is compatible with what, directions usually default to "follow manufacturers recommendations". That is when I hit a brick wall. I find these to be impossible to follow or understand.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 3:48am
Like a lot of other things we do, often we over complicate things. Just have one of the parts stores mix the color and put it the spray cans WITH HARDENER and go to town.
Remember keep it simple.

JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 3:49am
Do any of our site sponsors have the correct paint we need?
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 1:36pm
I don't believe so, but one of our members MAKES the paints.  PERFECT paint as I can attest to.  Which reminds me, I need to get some more for touch up...PO1.

his handle on here is amac his name is Merlin Boshart.  He's in Kalona, Iowa.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Ted in NE-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted in NE-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 10:17pm
I used a can of Rustoleum New Holland yellow to paint a tractor and wish I had used an automotive paint. Gasolene spilled on the Rustoleun takes the shine away.
CA, WD, C, 3 Bs, 2 Gs, WC, I-400, 914
SEIA Farmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEIA Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 9:28pm
I painted some saddletank brackets the other day with Rustoleum Implement paint, and they really turned out nice...even though they were green!  They were sand blasted down to bare metal, and then primed with the Rustoleum primer.  I also put a little hardener in the paint before spraying them, and they've got a nice gloss to them.
  We got a WC resto project going on, and I've got my own sprayer, so I'd like to use their paint on it, but don't know what numbers to mix to get PO1 shade of paint.  Anybody know what the formula is for PO1 Rustoleum Implement Enamel?  You can get this paint mixed at Menards for $26.97/gal...and it's 11% off this week!  IMO it's good paint with a price that's hard to beat.  Anybody have better paint suggestions?
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 2:21pm
I flipped up the hood on the 1973 Allis 160. The paint on the fuel tank is covered by the hood and looks way different than the rest of the tractor. It is original paint, but I don't know how much the color has changed over the years.

So I just painted a piece of tape with Rustoleum Farm Equipment paint. Allis Chalmers orange #7458830. I placed the painted tape in the area of protected paint, took a picture. Picture taken in the shop, doors are open, no flash. The right side of the picture is the end of the tank, near your knees. This is exposed. it looks to me the exposed paint has faded darker and "dingier". We talk about cheap aftermarket paint fading to pink. There is no pink here. Also I "waxed" it all with WD40 to give the old paint some temporary gloss.

ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 2:46pm
Just bought a can of Rust-Oleum Allis Chalmers orange at TSC today . Only had 2 cans . They had 6 Kubota orange . My can says #280135 . Cost $8.99 .
SEIA Farmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEIA Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 8:42am
So this would be the shade of Persian Orange 2, correct?  My '37 WC project should be PO 1, which I'd like to get the Rustoleum number for.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 10:14am
Not sure what shade of orange this is . Looks good to me !
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 1:13pm
Yes, 1972 should be PO#2. But some say the Rustoleum spray is Corporate Orange.

My intent was just to show the relative color difference of 46 year old original paint to the Rustoleum spray can paint.
Cans of Tisco paint states PO1 or PO2 on the can.

I think the paint industry is a little dodgy.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic