This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rim repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rim repair
    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 11:44am
Last year I cut the rails out of a 13x28 spin out rim that was SHOT. I have a pair of rims I was going to weld them into. The other rim I have for donor rails is a 12", they are shorter than the 13's so I posted a wanted add on here and wound up with the 13x28 I needed for the project but when it got here I looked at it and decided it was too good to just cut up. It's really in pretty good shape other than the valve stem area. I have patches from some of the junkers I have scrapped so lets just fix this one and have a mate for the one 13x28 I already have.
Sponsored Links

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 11:48am
Some of the progress shaping the patch and cutting out the damaged area. I spent a LOT of time fitting the patch to the hole trying to keep the welding to a minimum.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 11:53am
Yesterday I finished the welding, there were some thin spots that were a little tricky. Now just have to wait on mother nature. My plan is to heat up an area with the torch and hammer a flat for the valve stem, will practice on a junker before hand.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 11:59am
You know, if you click the preview button in your file manager before you post your pictures, you can change the size to fit the page. I just divided both the width and the height numbers showing by 2 and get this. The original numbers are 1584 wide and 1188 high. This post has them 792 wide and 594 high.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 19 Jan 2020 at 12:00pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 12:01pm
I have a great pair of 16.9x28 Firestone Field and Road that are going on these rims when done. They are on 10 or 11" rims now. When finished will go on my narrow front 45. I really like the look of the 16.9s. That tractor has great tires on it already, think they will move over to the 57. I'm hoping to get a little work done on her this year, been here 4 years now, (I think) about time to get her going. I will update this when warmer weather gets here and I can proceed.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 12:47pm
Mike,
 I think the repair looks very good. I have seen most of the rims that are on my project tractors have issues like this too. If I can save one I try. As you say most of the rim is pretty good! You did a very nice job fitting that new piece into the rim!
I did have a couple that went to be donor rims too. 
I have never tried to weld on a set of rails. Were you going to do something special to get them in the right places? Not sure what the tolerances would be on the location of the rails? maybe +/- 1/16 inch??
I have tried the heating and reforming of the valve stem area too. The last ones I cut out a piece of angle iron and welded it in place. For some reason just was easier for me?? Not quite as pretty as a factory formed bump/ blister.
Looking forward to seeing the 16.9's on your 45 too! Should be a very nice combo. 

Here is one I started on, which looks just about like yours!

And the other one:

On this rim I forgot I had a donor piece that would have worked better than the 4 patches.
You did the right thing with the donor part!

Here was the valve stem area add on:

These were modified to 14 wide from 12's.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 19 Jan 2020 at 12:48pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 2:15pm
Real nice work!!

I like your portable vise support.......I've got an extra vise hangin' around doin' nuthin.....
I think I'll make one of those supports for myself!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 4:37pm
Chris, I did a pair of 15x28's back in '16 or '17, I will try to track that down and post a link.

Brian, that receiver hitch vice comes in handy. Really nice to keep the dust and dirt outside when you can.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 6:41pm
Mike, don't bother heating the rim, drill the size of hole you want in the groove, then get a bunch of washers and a bolt that fits the hole, preferably fine thread and put about 3 or more washers on each side and screw the nut down tight should have a nice angled flat spot for the valve stem.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 6:44pm
Here's a link to my 15x28 rim thread. The pictures are on photobucket, they are fuzzy, surprised they show up at all.
https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/todays-project_topic130062_post1070812.html?KW=#1070812
Chris, I made a 'gauge' out of a piece of welding rod for the spacing. Also cut up a wheel center so that after I tacked the rails in I could make sure everything moved like it should. This was easier than it seemed like it would be. The rails laid down on the rim very nicely.

I have a pair of 15x28 rims off a JD. Was going to use them for this project, still, may someday. Pic of the jd rim.

Edited by IBWD MIke - 20 Jan 2020 at 7:54am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 7:14pm
Mike,
 I do remember those rims all cut up. Nice work getting those rails in place. I now feel a little more confident that adding the rails is something I could do if needed. 
Thanks for posting the links. Darn photobucket is not allowing some of your pictures to show up. You do good work!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 8:06pm
I need a piece to weld in. We don't have any donor rims to cut up. I kinda want to try to repair one
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 9:15pm
Mike, what size rim do you need a patch for? I have more for 28 inchers.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 6:10am
When I did some rim work for my first D-14, I made a 'rim roller'. Simple wooden structure with 2, 18" conveyor rollers, spaced about a foot apart. The rim stands upright on the rollers, so you can EASILY rotate the rim for cleaning and painting. It's surprised me how little effort was needed to turn it !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Mikez Mikez wrote:

I need a piece to weld in. We don't have any donor rims to cut up. I kinda want to try to repair one

Mikez,
 You can do it. Having a donor rim may not be necessary, depending on the rust out area. I did not have one on the rims on my WD45. Sometimes just some 1/8 inch steel strip will provide the patch material. Really most of the work is getting the tire off, cleaning and prepping the area. Start a thread with some pictures of the bad rim. We will provide the couch support for you!:)
Regards,
 Chris
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 11:47am
So I was digging around in the basement today and found some parts that will help with this project. My plan is to clean and paint another set of centers and hardware. Will have to check my inventory at the farm for the other 4. These have all been sandblasted and somewhat painted.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 11:53am
Chris, here is approximately what the tractor will look like when done. This the 'Wide-Front' when I redid the front end with a corn-picker pedestal. Wheel weights will be different. Also a shot of the tires headed for the 57. Recently got a broken bolt out of a spare manifold for that one, has a nasty exhaust leak. Really want to start making some progress on that old girl.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 1:01pm
Mike,
 Those tires will look real good on any W series tractor! Your rim work and parts are going to look good! That's a good looking WD45 too. So that is the front end that can be easily changed to a wide front. I see it says 14.9-28 on 13 inch rim. I have some of my rims out at 14 inches. Think there is any down side to that? Side wall support issues?
Regards,
Chris
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 1:47pm
No. That's just the recommended rim width. Pullers have been putting tires on wider than 'recommended' rims for years. Those are on 12" rims, the 16.9s are going on 13s, recommended is 15 but Allis put them on 13 for years. Have a set that way on my D-17, look fine. 
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 3:16pm
Looking good Mike!!  You going to haul it to Hutch this year?  Are YOU coming to Hutch again this year?
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 9:07am
Ted, I hope to make it this year, should probably be looking for a motel room now. If I bring a tractor, and I would like to, it will probably be the 'Wide Front', with model 63 plow. Last years one day whirlwind trip didn't give us time to even watch any field demos let alone go out and plow.

Small update on the project; made it out to the farm and found all the rest of the parts I need for this. Got the 4 eccentrics sand blasted, working on getting things primered now. The two wheel centers I found will need some serious clean-up before paint but that will have to wait for better weather.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 10:44am
Small update; Got all the locks painted and assembled. Now if the weather would cooperate I could get the centers cleaned up and painted.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 1:08pm
Mike,
 Looking very sharp! Thanks for the update. It may prompt me in to doing something orange related too. ( Oh yea I did call and order a new set of 14.9-28's for the WZ, so I guess that is something!:))
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 17 Feb 2020 at 1:10pm
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 2:42pm
When I first got into the tire business in 1986 we could buy the rim hole weld on part. I started out with 50 of them and sold them all. They make a nice rim repair without causing tube problems.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Mike,
 Looking very sharp! Thanks for the update. It may prompt me in to doing something orange related too. ( Oh yea I did call and order a new set of 14.9-28's for the WZ, so I guess that is something!:))
Regards,
 Chris

Chris, haven't seen you on here a lot recently. Busy in the sugar shack?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 10:10am
Mike,
You got it! Kids, grand kids, and great grand kids in the sugarhouse making syrup!

Thanks for checking on me!

Regards,
Chris
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 9:18am
Hi Mike sorry I didn't respond. It's a 13"-26" rim
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Mikez Mikez wrote:

Hi Mike sorry I didn't respond. It's a 13"-26" rim

Ok, I had completely forgotten about this.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 12:37pm
Update time, (finally). Been kind of slow on this project, it is kind of low priority. Haven't got the centers cleaned up yet but did get the wheel wire brushed yesterday. Too windy to do any painting and I need to emboss a flat for the valve-stem. Getting closer.
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 2:59pm
Dang, such great work!!

I'm afraid this rim on my WD is about to this point right now:

Unfortunately I can't weld nor have anything to unmount the tire with!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic