This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing G engine valve cover?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing G engine valve cover?
    Posted: 22 May 2023 at 5:24pm
I need to install a new valve cover gasket on one of my G's. It appears I have to remove the distributor to get the cover off. Never removed a distributor for fear of not getting it back in right. I finally have this tractor running very good. Any help much appreciated. Thanks Mike
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Sponsored Links

Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 8:03pm
 I'll have to take a look at my G. 
 Maybe just pull the spark-plug wires and the distribution cap.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 8:05pm
i dont know if it needs to come off for the valve cover or not... but...

You normally turn the motor to TDC on #1 cylinder and then take the black cap off the distributor and the rotor will be pointing at #1 plug wire...... thats how you time it... that probably is not really necessary at this point...

If you take the black cap off the distributor, and take a black marker and mark on the aluminum base where the rotor is pointing.... that will be your reinstall point... now remove the bolt holding the distributor in the block and pull it up.. might need to wiggle or twist a little... once it is out, DO NOT ROTATE THE MOTOR... do your valve cover, then put the distributor back into the hole in the SAME POSITION at the black magic marker point .... the drive teeth are angled, so you might have to pull it back up and inch and try a couple times to get it EXACTLY where it was to start with.. easy to be a tooth or two off with the curved teeth engagement....

Just take your time and get it back in the hole exactly where it was to start with.. and DO NOT rotate the motor crank at all with the distributor out.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 8:12pm
i like Dusty's idea better... hard to believe you have to PULL the distributor all the way out.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 6:12am
I looked at the manual and the section on valve replacement says to pull the head, the throttle rod, carb, valve cover and distributor. I was doing some carb work any way. But I don't think you can get the cover off the studs with the distributor mounted. Hoping for another way. 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 4:53pm
I replaced the valve cover today and the distributor came off. I was surprised to see the opening in the block. Looked like they cut it out with a chisel. The gasket seems to be ok though. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic