how to lower the front of my wd-45 ?

Printed From: Unofficial Allis
Category: Other Topics
Forum Name: Pulling Forum
Forum Description: Forum dedicated to Tractor and Garden Pulling
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67832
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 10:02am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: how to lower the front of my wd-45 ?
Posted By: firephight
Subject: how to lower the front of my wd-45 ?
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 9:44am
Wanting to lowere the front for pulling how do others do it? My tractor is a tricycle front.

Replies:
Posted By: mlpankey
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 9:57am
smaller front tires and wheels or taller back tires . your really not worried about height you should be concerned with the degree of rake.

-------------
people if they don't already know it you can't tell them. quote yogi berra

Posted By: Kip-Utah
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 8:59pm
Put smaller 15" rims off a RC and 4.00x15 tires on. Worked well on our WC. Kip

-------------
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!

Posted By: cotncrzy
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 6:10am
  A set of 38" rears will do it, I got a new set of rear wheels to go on mine, adapters should be done mid week, I will post a pic when I get everyhing mounted.

-------------
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!

Posted By: Fields
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 7:20am
rc fronts 5.00-15 and 15.5-38 rear.

Posted By: wi50
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 8:08am
Here's a pic of my WD-45 with some free 15.5X38 tires I scored, I cut the 9 bolt pattern out and welded an 8 bolt repair center in, the regular 5-15 fronts.

-------------
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 9:25am
Who sells repacement Rc rims? can't find them any place. I was thinking about having a set of " c " front hubs machined to fit the wd front spindle or have the spindle turned down to fit the smaller hubs

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 9:28am
Originally posted by wi50 wi50 wrote:

Here's a pic of my WD-45 with some free 15.5X38 tires I scored, I cut the 9 bolt pattern out and welded an 8 bolt repair center in, the regular 5-15 fronts.

what were these rims originally on?

Posted By: The Other Orange
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 2:29pm
Do you know how much more the wide front weighs over the narrow?

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 2:37pm
a massey harris tricycle front end doesnt way much at all in under one

-------------

Posted By: Ihateillinoisnazis
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

That was a useful post, thank you for contributing to the forum.

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Ihateillinoisnazis Ihateillinoisnazis wrote:

That was a useful post, thank you for contributing to the forum.

Posted By: Fields
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 7:52pm
 The front weights are 120#  for the early wc 180# for the wc -wd ones. and 320# for the wd45 ones a wide front is 350#  the bloster for a wide 3 bolt is 130# a corn picker narrow front to bolt onto a wide is 57# with the hubs. I have the light one on mine. But have a 4 bolt bloster to fix up and put a corn picker conversion on it. Just to look trick since I've only seen 2 like that ever.

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 8:04am
Firephite,
those rear wheels were some light pressed steel 9 bolt wheels that have been on the farm here forever used as duals on a small tractor for seeding.  The centers were torn up, and I had bought a real nice set on an auction so I used the junky set for the Allis and moved the centers for a 60" tread spaceing when put on the WD-45 and welded the 8 bolt repair pattern in.  They are from a John Deere, but I don't know what.  A trip to the sandblaster and the tire shop, some new tubes, switching 2 pairs of tires and a pile of my time. 

I never weighed the fronts, but I know the narrow front I took out of the WD-45 is HEAVY.  That tractor pictured weighs about 3800# with no weights and a 190# driver on it.  Nothing's stripped off, and just a little added weight for the front and center weight brackets.  We don't have much around here for light classes, most places start at 4500# and up, once in a while there's a 4000#.  The tracks are hard enough that you need to add the weight to the front anyway. 

-------------
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"

Posted By: Kip-Utah
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 9:02am
You will NOT find new replacement RC wheels. B/C, WC/WD...but not RC. Getting tougher to find serviceable used ones. I think that there would be enough demand from WC,WD,D17 tractor pullers that someone like Miller Tire would gear up and make them. This wheel is nothing more than a B/C wheel with the larger hub hole and bolt pattern of a WC. Kip. You do have the option of after market aluminum wheels if they are allowed and you don't mind the look! Kip

-------------
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!

Posted By: Glockhead SWMI
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 9:20am
Anyone have a picture of an early wc versus the wd 45? Where did they put the extra weight? I'll have to put mine side by side someday.

Posted By: Larry(OH)
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 10:52am
I have an extra early front pedestal.  There is more meat around the rear of it..more solid or straight across the back.  on the early WC, the one "corner" so to speak is missing.  I have never weighed them side by side, just was told the they are lighter so I picked another one up at an auction one day.  I'll get a pic tonight...if I remember

-------------
'40 WC puller,'50 WD puller,'50 M puller '65 770 Ollie

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot understand it for you!!

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 11:43am
I have a 35 wc at home. If I remember I'll take a look at that. I think that there is a lot more casting on the back of the 45 pedestal now that I was looking at pictures.

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 1:28pm
All of them are heavier than the massey harris

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 3:42pm
rules state has to be original or aftermarket parts reproducton for that make of tractor!

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 4:38pm
Well if you dont tell them they will never know it let alone look for it

-------------

Posted By: Rod B
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 6:35pm

Well if you dont tell them they will never know it let alone look for it

Maybe he's an honest man unlike you.

-------------
for the money there is nothing better than provoking idiots and posers

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 6:48pm
He needs to walk away from pulling then if he isnt willing to work within the grey areas of rules. Rules are only as good as the tech enforcing them.however on the front end unless he rolls the drops and run his draw bar long he will end up putting every bit of weight he removes from the nose back on the nose. The only place i ever removed weight and keep it off was in the wheels and tires engine and middle (trany area) of tractor. One can be surprised what the tubes and liners in each tire weighs.
I even change the solid steering round stock out to 1/2 schedule 80 black iron pipe
One will also be surprised how rolling ghe drops keeps the nose pulled to the ground.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 6:59pm
It doesn't seam to grey at all. "Original or aftermarket parts for that model tractor".

You're giveing stupid advice with the Massey Harris bs.

Give good advice like machining the front hubs to accept a different bolt pattern front rim. It's easy to drill a new bolt pattern in some front hubs. Probably not easy for a pankey though.

-------------

Posted By: Gary in da UP
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 7:05pm
 I have never, ever felt the need to add rake to my pullers, and wonder about its real world benefits.  Just get your weights right !
 As for panky , you stay in your grey area, your grey matter is of no help here.  Most people I pull with play by the rules, and when you win playing by the rules , it should bring satisfaction, cheat to win,? what a hollow victory.... feel sorry for those who stoop to that.

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 7:07pm
Theres not a tech man around looking at front pedestals. If you read the post above your last you will see that its pretty much useless to do and if your going go and do it you might as well get the maximum weight reduction for effort and thats simply a massey harris pedestal .time you fabricate the plate to hold the factory wd correct front weights its covered where no one can tell

-------------

Posted By: Gary in da UP
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 7:36pm
Mitch, I'm only gonna say this once, don't encourage others on this forum to be deceptive, or cheat.Only loosers who are wanna be winners would justify it as OK, and its not. 
 Mr Moderator has warned  against lieing, and other things unacceptable here,   take heed.

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 7:46pm
Mitch knows more about lying and cheating. But nothing about winning.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 8:07pm
He said the rules said it had to be original or factory replacement for that make of tractor.so if we want to be honest rc wheels would be cheating cause they were used on a rc and not the make of tractor model he is running. How technical.on a technicality are we going to make of interpretation. Its pretty hard to cover up a change in wheel size

-------------

Posted By: LeonR2013
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 8:16pm

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 8:17pm
Make. Allis is the make, make would refer to AC,MH, JD, IH.. Model would be RC, WC. Rules say Make, not model.

Busted for lying again. Encourageing others to cheat is like lying about your shop. It comes natural for Mitch.

-------------

Posted By: LeonR2013
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 8:22pm
You Know, I've been reading this back and forth between Mitch and the rest and I suspect that many times he is yanking you guys chains. I at least get a big laugh out of it and it. Not trying to be a smart *** or cause everyone to get on my case, just an observation. Thanks. Leon

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 8:23pm
No again its how technical on a technicality of interpetation. .i can think of ten allis wcwd and wd45 with massey pedestal iacross the ole usa

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by LeonR2013 LeonR2013 wrote:

You Know, I've been reading this back and forth between Mitch and the rest and I suspect that many times he is yanking you guys chains. I at least get a big laugh out of it and it. Not trying to be a smart *** or cause everyone to get on my case, just an observation. Thanks. Leon

I enjoy yanking his chain. I'm not a smart man but this Pankey guy makes me feel like a rocket scientist.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 9:01pm
yeap rod you can say your not a smart man especially at building and setting up allis wc,wd wd45 pulling tractors.

-------------

Posted By: Breeze
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 9:01pm
Leon, this section of the forum is sure enough getting to be a hoot.

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Breeze Breeze wrote:

yeap ole rod likes to say i dont know what i am talking about on here but he will be calling barney soon if he hasnt already to get the model that the massey pedestal comes from. he will probably even call doc. up to find out what it takes to roll the drops or at least look in the archives where doc was telling me years ago about it.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 9:09pm

Originally posted by Breeze Breeze wrote:

yeap ole rod likes to say i dont know what i am talking about but he will be calling barney soon to get the model that the massey pedestal comes from. he will probably even call doc. up to find out what it takes to roll the drops or at least look in the archives wher doc was telling me years ago about it.

Ya know what's sad... You openly admit to cheating and how it's the way to win yet you end up in the back of the pack and 100 feet short of the competition.  You cheat the rules and you still suck. At least if you are going to go to the extremes of cheating WIN for cripes sakes!!!   LOL. 

I think Butch said it best in a couple of posts above about being a winner without cheating. 

Posted By: THE-MAN
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 9:17pm
You know whats even sadder? He continues to get owned by a guy named ROD BENDER...no offense meant Rod. But with dankys rod issues in the block, and his Rod issues on here, well, I think its funny..again, no offense Rod.

Posted By: WCCLASON
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 10:50pm
Its pretty simple....taller rear tires if you can and like Gary said....Keep your weights low and your draw bar as short as rules allow and i have always done well.
Not sure how much the rake helps but was told by a few old timers that having the front weights low helps alot....Not going to get into the math of why it helps but makes good sence. So its up to you. i like the look but to small of tires doesnt look right to me.....

Posted By: BennyLumpkin
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 8:07am
What is the bolt pattern on a wc/wd wheel? For when looking at aluminum wheels or something different.

-------------
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110

Posted By: WCCLASON
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 8:22am
I was told it was 5x5....I'm sure someone will let me know if I'm wrong....I could check tonight when I get home.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 8:37am
Originally posted by Rod B Rod B wrote:

Make. Allis is the make, make would refer to AC,MH, JD, IH.. Model would be RC, WC. Rules say Make, not model.

Busted for lying again. Encourageing others to cheat is like lying about your shop. It comes natural for Mitch.

mlpanky you sir are a
dumb sh

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 10:37am
Thanks when you pull against me and loose to me remember that. Its more insulting to you that way especially when the first thing i do is pass tech inspecrion before i ever hook somewhere new.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 11:53am

Thanks when you pull against me and loose to me remember that. Its more insulting to you that way especially when the first thing i do is pass tech inspecrion before i ever hook somewhere new.

Before you beat anyone in a pull you need a functioning tractor, then you need one that is competitive. At least we won't have to worry about either with you.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 1:22pm
It won't be hard to spot your tractor! It will be the one that has the massey front end duct taped to the front trying to pull the sled in reverse

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 1:23pm
My money's on Firephigt.  As long as he has some of his plug wires on the right cylinders and some gas in the tank he should get within 50 feet of the rest of the competition and that's closer than our VI can get.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by firephight firephight wrote:

It won't be hard to spot your tractor! It will be the one that has the massey front end duct taped to the front trying to pull the sled in reverse

So you've seen those awesome welding skillz too?  That awesome hitch and wheelie bar setup, the torched out rims, and lets not forget the chicken $#!t on the front pulley.  The plumbing is almost as good, but it's hard to mess copper lines to bad.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 1:48pm
Jacked up hardline really frosts my balls. That pretty much shows you have no skill or pride if you can't even get that right.

I like the look of the stock tractors too much to put really small tires up front.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Glockhead SWMI Glockhead SWMI wrote:

Jacked up hardline really frosts my balls. That pretty much shows you have no skill or pride if you can't even get that right.

I like the look of the stock tractors too much to put really small tires up front.

Hahah so true. It looks like he formed that hard line with a hammer on a tree stump. Can anyone tell me why he would put an oil cooler on one of these units anyhow?? His super mod pulling engine sure isn't pullin a plow for hrs on end, and one pull isn't going toget the oil to a temp that requires an added cooler... I guess that's the logic of an idiot, there is none.

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 5:18am

So where will you be hooking? Where do you normally hook? When you going to come play in the real world? This fantasy land pulling is getting old. At least participate in the video pulloff. My heart is bad and I just might die laughing.

You couldn't take your tractor and win at a pedal pull.

-------------

Posted By: trikesbikes@gmail.co
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 1:28pm
Are they allowing you to pull in antique farm classes or

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 10:24am
Can you tell me about rolling the drops thanks 👍

Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 6:16pm
Changing the position of the final drives (rotating one hole to the rear) isn't allowed in any Antique classes UNLESS it is some sort of anything goes "OPEN" class. If one did that, 38 inch wheels would be a must to try to still keep the tractor level to nose down.

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 6:41pm
Thanks 👍

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net