Forum Description: Forum dedicated to Tractor and Garden Pulling
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67558
Printed Date: 15 May 2024 at 12:15am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: another wd topic
Posted By: blue924.9
Subject: another wd topic
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 11:20am
what can i all do to get more power out of a wd, i searched and didnt find a whole lot just bunch of thread hijacking by pankey

Replies:
Posted By: mlpankey
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 11:47am
Bore stroke and buy a camshaft from me and a set of murphy rockers.

-------------
people if they don't already know it you can't tell them. quote yogi berra

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 12:22pm
already have a wd 45 crank, what pistons. where can you even get parts both stock and aftermarket for a allis wd or wd 45

Posted By: THE-MAN
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 12:38pm
If youd like to keep your post from getting hijacked, PM me and Ill see if I can help you out a bit with some numbers and or info..

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 12:51pm
8 inch LEROI rod 413 CHRYSLER piston be. 380 to 400 below deck

-------------

Posted By: Kip-Utah
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 12:54pm
I'd love to help, but prefer it if you just pm me, as this kind of topic tends to create shouting matches on this forum...what a shameCry Kip

-------------
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 1:15pm
Its that time of year for me to order pistons i can order forged 4.125 bore with a 2.58 compression height. Just half down and rest when shippex.

-------------

Posted By: Rod B
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

Bore stroke and buy a camshaft from me and a set of murphy rockers.
Who in their right mind is going to buy a camshaft from you? 

Talk to the members who know, the ones who are out there winning, take their advice and stay away from the thread trolling hijacker.

-------------
for the money there is nothing better than provoking idiots and posers

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 1:35pm
I want to sell to the crazys that are power nuts and can handle loads of. power. The right minds need to stay with stock cams like you do.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 2:35pm
I'll probably kick my self for joining this discussion...but my 1938 WC with a 240 cid engine and a STOCK cam has been our club's "Tractor of the Year" twice, has had dozens of hooks with around an 80% winning average, and has never blown up!! Kip

-------------

Posted By: bmartin55
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 3:14pm
kip  what tires do u run on your wc.... thanks bob

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 3:15pm
so where do you get parts like cams and pistons and stuff like that

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 5:46pm
Bob, I run a set of "irrigation center pivot tires" imported cheap no-names that look similar to 33 degree Firestones. Size 14.9x24 on factory pressed steel wheels. Also run 4.00x15 tri ribs on the front on RC rims.
Blue...A lot of the kinds of parts I use can be bought from vendors advertising on this site!
Kip 

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 7:55am
would i be going too fast with 38 inch tires, it has either 28s or 30s on it now, 3 mph is the fastest speed

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 8:22am
yeap you would be speeding then throttle back to turn horn off before 100ft and wait for sled to catch you then throttle up and keep trucking if you have the snott in the motor to do so.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 8:26am
so whats the biggest i can go without going too fast

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 9:50am

I want to sell to the crazys that are power nuts and can handle loads of. power. The right minds need to stay with stock cams like you do.

Possiably some participation in the video pulloff thread would boost your sales.  Or some good rap from other members.  None of which you have.  The only thing you have is results of being 50 to 100 feet behind the leaders, old posts about how your cam didn't work and that you had to buy one figured out by someone else.

I do like how you finally admitted that when timeing the cam, bushing placement is critical, or the change wouldn't be as advertised.

Not causeing trouble.  Just stateing the facts to sway new members away from snake oil salesmen and spend their money where it counts.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 9:56am

Yes to the inferior machinist they could get the bushing off but as to my caliber  it was dead on at first attempt . Not causing any trouble just stating facts . Alot of people find that placing in the top four of a 42 tractor field ok as well . As far as snake oil salesman I am not the one telling people they can win with used egged shaped pistons from racing junk and wornout take out sleeves from john deere. In fact i tell them when they have big dreams and 1500 for a budget to call wi in wisconsin cause apparently dreams come true in wisconsin . however wi was talking about the budget it took to run last year and it was well over 1500.  If budget doesnt matter you would see saturday night dirt track cars in nascar but budget does matter and a late model budget wise and car wise cant hang with a cup car but if you have the budget to purchase a cup motor for your late model your ahead of most .

-------------

Posted By: Ihateillinoisnazis
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 10:01am
The other day it was a 12 tractor field... Today it's 42???

Not arguing, just questioning reality.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Ihateillinoisnazis Ihateillinoisnazis wrote:

brad davis said he remembered the cross roads of dixie being a 42 tractor field  when we spoke yesterday. the only place reality needs checked is in wisconsin where egged shaped racing junk pistons and worn takeout jd linners in a engine thats smoking at the end of a pull can win

-------------

Posted By: wi50
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 10:16am
I hate to break your heart pank, but I checked out that link to the corssroads of dixie where you were 50 feet behind the leaders and placed in the top 4.

It says there was 6 entries
http://crossroadsofdixie.com/06pullresults.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://crossroadsofdixie.com/06pullresults.aspx

3rd out of 6 in a stock class isn't bad.  Not as glammy as 3rd out of 42 in some super modified national class........

I'm sorry fella's.  I'm just amuseing myself (at the VI's expense)

-------------
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 10:21am
Originally posted by wi50 wi50 wrote:

I hate to break your heart pank, but I checked out that link to the corssroads of dixie where you were 50 feet behind the leaders and placed in the top 4.

It says there was 6 entries
http://crossroadsofdixie.com/06pullresults.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://crossroadsofdixie.com/06pullresults.aspx

3rd out of 6 in a stock class isn't bad.  Not as glammy as 3rd out of 42 in some super modified national class........

I'm sorry fella's.  I'm just amuseing myself (at the VI's expense)

It wasnt a stock clas . But it was several more entries than your pulls on youtube when winning is just you or your dad getting further down the track on the same tractor. two entries marty and his dad same tractor . so whos better driver dad or marty

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 10:34am

brad davis said he remembered the cross roads of dixie being a 42 tractor field  when we spoke yesterday. the only place reality needs checked is in wisconsin where egged shaped racing junk pistons and worn takeout jd linners in a engine thats smoking at the end of a pull can win

Ohh getting all defensive are we?? Looks like I poked a sensitive subject. Also looks like Wi posted the facts. You're a liar spunk, go home.

If you haven't noticed the forum was peaceful the last few days when you were quiet and not spilling your bs all over.

Again... Not arguing, just stating the facts ;)

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 10:47am
Pank you are so quick to point out that you aren't causing trouble ... And all we have to do is go back to the "SMACK" post a few weeks ago to see that you are in fact causing trouble. Even the posters who put threads on here state that they don't want you hijacking their thread....

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 11:26am
Blue, Even a stock WD will get speeding tickets in a 3 mph class with 38" tires. If your rules allow get a set of 16.9x26 or 14.9x28 tires and wheels with 8 bolt centers off a Gleaner or JD combine. They will bolt right up to your tractor and get rid of your power adjust wheels and some weight as well. This will allow you some extra rpms without blowing the horn. A couple of guys in our club pull WDs like this and do really well. I'm really at a disadvantage on my WC with 14.9x24s on narrow 8" factory rims, but have figured out a way to make it work. KipWink

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 11:48am
Funny you should bring that up..80% 0f the time, I like my 14.9 x 38s on a 12 inch rim. The only time it really hurts me is when its WET and SOFT. But thats what the 16.9 38s are for. On dry stuff Ill take a narrow rim / tall tire any day

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 2:42pm

The link says 6.  I know your measureing skills are bad when we see angle finders used for valve comparisons and the indicator isn't even pointing level.  I didn't know your memory is that bad, talking to someone yesterday and today getting busted with that link. 

Or the logical explanation is that it is a simple matter of someone lying to make themselves appear better.  Lies are getting as old as your love for wi.  Which brings me to another question.  You reccomend him for parts and engine work, but consistantly dis-respect him on the forums. 

I read the rules for kicks.  4 mph and 20% over RPM.  You really build awesome hot rods and target the power crazies to get those kind of results.  It takes all of 60 hp to compete with those kind of rules.

Pistons are egg shaped when new.  If they were round they wouldn't work.

Sorry people, but this pankey fella is really full of BS and arrogant to boot. 

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 3:07pm
[QUOTE=Kip-Utah] Blue, Even a stock WD will get speeding tickets in a 3 mph class with 38" tires. If your rules allow get a set of 16.9x26 or 14.9x28 tires and wheels with 8 bolt centers off a Gleaner or JD combine. They will bolt right up to your tractor and get rid of your power adjust wheels and some weight as well. This will allow you some extra rpms without blowing the horn. A couple of guys in our club pull WDs like this and do really well. I'm really at a disadvantage on my WC with 14.9x24s on narrow 8" factory rims, but have figured out a way to make it work. KipWink[/

can i run these sized tires on the stock rims? if not what is the biggest. the reason i ask is cause i wasnt planning on getting new rims this season, i probably will in the near future and even if i wanted to i dont think i would have time to get them  switched before pullin time as i have other stuff to get done also.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 3:22pm
Blue, around here the rules are usually 4 or 5 mph pace and not much for rpm rules. As long as you are under 3000 or so nobody will raise an eyebrow. With 38" rubber my wd45 is even a tad fast for 4mph. a wd is a bit faster gearing and you're 3mph pace will hold it back to short tires or low rpm.

I don'thave much of a motor in it, 240 cubes at 11.25 to 1 comp ratio, pistons quench to the head and have bowls in them. A stock cam degreed in to a 104 or 105 intake centerline. Works fine. I'll sell the complete short block assembly sometime if it intrests you. But I'm in no hurry to, as I just don't have time to mess with putting another. One togather

-------------
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Rod B Rod B wrote:

The link says 6.  I know your measureing skills are bad when we see angle finders used for valve comparisons and the indicator isn't even pointing level.  I didn't know your memory is that bad, talking to someone yesterday and today getting busted with that link. 

Or the logical explanation is that it is a simple matter of someone lying to make themselves appear better.  Lies are getting as old as your love for wi.  Which brings me to another question.  You reccomend him for parts and engine work, but consistantly dis-respect him on the forums. 

I read the rules for kicks.  4 mph and 20% over RPM.  You really build awesome hot rods and target the power crazies to get those kind of results.  It takes all of 60 hp to compete with those kind of rules.

I am arrogant but i know what i am talking about unlike most and every day more are seeing it as you and others post posts just like this one.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 5:40pm

Originally posted by Rod B Rod B wrote:

I am arrogant but i know what i am talking about unlike most and every day more are seeing it as you and others post posts just like this one.

Definition of Arrogant: Having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.

You defiantly got that part right!  Your keyboard ninja skills out weight your measuring and welding skills by a long shot!!

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 6:33pm
I wouldnt be talking about measuring skills especially if i was one purchasing used worn out pistons and sleeves or excuse me cant tell by their measuring when ones worn out. .

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 6:51pm
Please explain what is wrong with used sleves pressed in and bored? They are true. New sleves bought for the same purpose still need to be bored.    

Much better than buying a used motor with used sleves, used rings and used pistons don't yoy think?

Go to the classifides. I just busted you up good.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 6:54pm

I wouldnt be talking about measuring skills especially if i was one purchasing used worn out pistons and sleeves or excuse me cant tell by their measuring when ones worn out. .

Taking one set of sleeves from one application machining them to fit another then boringto fit a set of pistons is far from using worn out parts. You're too ignorant to figure out anything yourself, let alone use a basic set of measuring tools to come up with modern parts to fit an old engine.   Go back to your crank balancer and watch it spin. At least you have the skills to turn a switch on..

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 7:10pm

having a used piston 15 thousandths under is a worn out piston no matter how less you bore its sleeve.   I have a shop all you and rod have  is your hands in pockets without getting into ring lands etc. as for elliptical yes anyone one the pulling forum should know the skirt measures larger than the top but i forget most havent ever held a piston on this site cause their hands stay in their pockets.

I sell new ross forged pistons in 4.125 bore 2.5 compression height if anyone desires a set and the used ones go into a 55 gallon drum and the recycling yard picks them up .

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 7:30pm
Blue, If you pick up a set of combine tires used from a recycler or some other source they will already be mounted on the combine rims that will bolt righ up to your hubs...however I agree since you're a newby, get your tractor going and use the tires that you have and go have some fun. Kip

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 3:31pm

<FONT size=+0>having a used piston 15 thousandths under is a worn out piston no matter how less you bore its sleeve.   I have a shop all you and rod have  is your hands in pockets without getting into ring lands etc. as for elliptical yes anyone one the pulling forum should know the skirt measures larger than the top but i forget most havent ever held a piston on this site cause their hands stay in their pockets.

I sell new ross forged pistons in 4.125 bore 2.5 compression height if anyone desires a set and the used ones go into a 55 gallon drum and the recycling yard picks them up .

Your lack of experience is really showing. Pistons don't wear 15 thousandths. Boreing is a one way operation. "No matter how less you bore it's sleeve". With pank's knowledge there's absolutly no way he has any kind of experience.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by blue924.9 blue924.9 wrote:

what can i all do to get more power out of a wd, i searched and didnt find a whole lot just bunch of thread hijacking by pankey

But at least here you see the hi-jacker is getting his @$$ kicked in a 4mph 3750 pound class......that 42 tractors from memory turn into 6 tractors in reality.  I know it would take serious HP to compete in.  Like in the double didgets kind of serious HP.... like a good 50-70 hp..........the kind of HP that only a savant with his verry own crank welder and grinder could make..... by building the biggest bores and longest strokes known to man.

Ok, I'm done amuseing myself again for the day.

The reality is that you want to go 3mph with your WD and compete.  I gotta say at that slow of a pace, I wouldn't build to much power, you'll just break traction.  Low compression and a stock cam are going to be just fine.  Degree your stock cam in right, grind your valves, back cut them, knock the corners off in the head and manifold.  Put a carb on from a D-17 or Gleaner E and put it in low gear and make your way down the track. 

I'd spend my time and money on finding just the right tire, learn where it likes to be for pressure and where to put your weights.  With all the time and money saved on engine mods I'd build a real nice hitch assembly so you can alwayse keep it at max height and keep the weight off the pan of the sled and on your rear tires where it belongs.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 7:09pm
A little moror that broke the crank in one pull and finished 3 rd is better than a smoking wc being entered twice once by dad and on e by som. How many years ago are those standings you finding. You got your tale beat this year alot of fourth place finishes your proud of isnt it

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 7:44pm
Ha ha. It's so easy when someone's so stupid. I'm even able to see all the weights added when hid dad drove in that video and hear the announcer say one puller left in the first class. To top it off there's a time display.

Didn't wi already explain the smoke to you a couple years in a row now? He linked the yt discussion where it was explained. Crankcase evacuater pulling oil from the timeing gears I think.

I'm glad you're not participateing in the video pulloff. It's painfull to watch someone go that slow. To be that far behind you'd be no where near pace.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 7:49pm
Broken crank huh? Last years results. Pank claims to be doing his own cranks. Low power application at that weight and speed.

Pank's cranks new motto is " we build em with lots a purosity to save weight"

Stop makeing it so easy.

-------------

Posted By: Glockhead SWMI
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 11:05am
 purosity... cast forged that way.... 

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 11:29am
Its funny....I broke a crank ONCE....when I swapped off some stuff for this 360 inch motor..It was an original WC 4" crank welded to 5 5/8ths. Not a 4.5 crank, a WC crank. It was reground to 1 3/4 journals.  It was running with  for 7 years before I got it. Then I PUNISHED it for a year and a half more, till it finally cracked. I figure it got no less than 200 250 hooks on it before I got it. I know I put a SOLID 50 hooks on it one summer alone. SO lets call it 300 hooks, ON a 4" core crank, On 1 3/4 journal ,  IN 360 inch engine.

What Im getting it is..... here is a motor that should have NEVER lasted as long as it did, made the POWER it did, and get ABUSED the way it did. BUT IT RAN PRETTY WELL.

So PANK, whats your newest excuse for your expertly engineered POS blowing the crank out in 4 or 5 runs? You cant even cobble something together that makes noise, let alone runs dependably..QUIT interrupting positive conversation. Admit you are making  attention noises like a two year old, and leave people alone. You have become a menace to the pulling society..GO AWAY!

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 12:58pm
4.820 bores .
it was taken in this cylinder .

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 11:38pm
allright guys theres a slight modification to the plan. new rules for this year say that stock class tractors may only go 2.5 mph??? is this do able with a stock unit turining stock rpms on 28's in first gear??? 

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 8:49am
Yeah factory rpm and tires tractors factory speed is 2.5 for first gear .allis engineers thought that was the proper speed for plowing ground so the geared most to run it.sounds like rules are pro two cylinder jd. It happens then it will go pro oliver once the fans go away from it being so slow.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net