Forum Description: everything else with orange (or yellow) paint
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67190
Printed Date: 17 Apr 2024 at 11:28pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Abandoned HD21
Posted By: ACcrazy
Subject: Abandoned HD21
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 9:15am
Thought I'd share these pics with you guys. Some of you may have seen them over on HEF.
I hate to see old equipment left to rot.

Replies:
Posted By: Unit3
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 9:42am
Sinful. I know of a collection up here in Northern Iowa that looks the same way. The difference is that even though the items sit out, they are safe from the scrapper,--------- for now.

Posted By: TramwayGuy
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 10:06pm
I spent a lot of hours on a HD21 back in 1971. But that one had a hydraulic blade. I was always impressed by how easy it started up in the morning. It was a beast, plain and simple!

Posted By: SteveM C/IL
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 10:29pm
Ran an old HD16 with the Allis -Buda in it.Frost on the ground and ice on the puddles and it would fire right off.

Posted By: Mactractor
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 2:53am
Sure needs to saved alright, even if only for parts. Down here 21s are now very difficult to find, and 16s are right behind them on the endangered species list.
I`ve no experience with 21s, I`m wondering if that tractor is a later model 21A having the Farr air cleaner, as the Farr was not fitted to HD11 until wet steering clutch models arrived early to mid 60s?

Posted By: Eric B
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 12:58am
Thanks Bruce for posting these pictures, I find them interesting to 'study'......of course with mixed feelings. On the one hand the neglect and abandonment aspect is sad.......on the positive side it's a bit like studying the tombstone of a hero from the past. I like to imagine when this machine was sold at the dealers lot......the new proud owner had it moved to the first job site......pushing dirt like nothing he had ever owned before.......making nothing but good money (leaving out thoughts of early repairs or warranty work). This machine worked good and hard for many years proving its worth and admired by guys like us......then finally came the last day it was running.......for whatever reason we may never know.......but here it remains a monument to a productive most useful past while turning fuel into brute work.......following the operator's every command. This leaves me with a good feeling. However, I am fully supportive of someone parting out 'old heroes' like this making them useful again.

-------------
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!

Posted By: JC-WI
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 1:32am
Sad part about this one is,,, Its so dang far away from me!

-------------
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 7:59am
Thanks for all the comments guys.
The story behind this machine as was told to me by my uncle is it quit steering, so rather than repair it, they just drove it off the road a bit and parked it. That was some time in the late '70s I believe. My uncle and I tried to buy it but they wouldn't sell for what we were offering. That was 20 years ago. The pics were taken 1 or 2 years ago.
The land has changed hands since then I think. It would be kinda interesting to see if the new owners would turn loose of it.
The ironic thing is, this machine is probably only a few miles from my home as the crow flies. AND, it is only maybe a quarter mile from a paved county road. Unfortunately, you have to cross a rickety old rail car bridge that probably wouldn't hold the weight of the machine let alone the machine on a low bed. BUT if one were to actually repair it where it sits, it could probably be driven out to my house on logging roads through a couple different logging companys and at least one private owners land.
Ya know, just for sheets and giggles, maybe I'll look into finding the new owners and have a little talk.

Posted By: darrel in ND
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 7:13am
ACcrazy; GO FOR IT!! I am sure that you don't call yourself CRAZY for nuthin! LOL! Darrel

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 8:07am
Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

ACcrazy; GO FOR IT!! I am sure that you don't call yourself CRAZY for nuthin! LOL! Darrel

Well, I'm not REALLY crazy, but thanks for the vote of confidence Darrel!

Posted By: HD6 Merv
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 3:34pm
yeah a bloody waste alright. Commented this too on HEF when i saw it.
As Mactractor noted has the farr aircleaner; so this is probably a very late 21A with the oil converter and steering clutchs. [early were diesel converter and dry steering clutchs]
Probably was very little wrong with it when parked; blocked suction screen if it wouldn,t steer. Manuel trans, was very little to go wrong with them.
Winch is either a J10 or maybe even a J120 Carco. Would have been a awesome winch salvage tractor in its day; and even today still would be if it went. Is always a place for big winch tractors when thinks turn to poo and/or mud ! ! And nothing pulls like a torque converter driven winch.
My thoughs anyway, good luck with it ACcrazy.
cheers merv

-------------
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money

Posted By: CAL(KS)
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 4:23pm
looks like an early one that has had a dry air cleaner added.  upside down filters are dead giveaway for buda/lanova engine. you can also see the lines on the intake side, they are different than later engines cuase of injector placement. 21's and 16's went to direct injection in 58'
steering system is pretty simple on early dry clutch machines.  oil system is open circuit.  pull lever and it blocks a hole in steering clutch piston, oil pushes piston back and turns a shaft and lever to actuate clutch release yoke.
bad part is buda/lanova engine parts are hard to find
you need a dozer to drag it home and then work on it lol

-------------
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15

Posted By: Steve allis dozer
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 6:13pm
That's another Logging tractor for AC Mel , it would look nice after being through his workshop!

Posted By: orangeman
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 6:17pm
Hope you get this machine AC Crazy.  It deserves to be salvaged or repaired.  Good luck am hoping the new property owners see the benefit on preserving AC.  

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 7:22pm
Crazy go for it.. wish things like that were that close to home and no tar around.. but between rivers and swamps and mud and tar, there ain't no walking to even some of my fields...
 Yup, thats a buda lanova engine...injectors are on the side. If you can get it to run, and the clutches hold, you can walk it home and have a steer cat ahead.

Dang, that would be a nice old cat to have... pretty straight.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 8:28pm
You guys have no idea (or maybe you do) how much I'd love to have this machine. With the exception of a little model M that was given me that I didn't do anything with, I've never owned my own dozer. My family had an HD16 cable blade with Carco winch that I rode on plenty, worked on and set chokers behind but that's as close as I've been. My uncle was the one who operated it (and dang, he was good!). Unfortunately, he passed away in 1999 and my cousin sold it without saying anything to me or my mother or grandmother who, consequently, actually owned it.

I'm pretty financially embarrassed right now and don't really have much money to put out on such an endeavor but I'm going to pursue this as far as I can. It's definitely fun to think about and who knows, maybe the new owners will play ball!

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Posted By: AC Mel
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 10:41am
Bruce and I talked about this tractor last week when we met at the Redwood Region Logging Conference equipment show. It actually looks worse than I thought,but I know it's not to far from the salt air. If he can get a commitment from the new owners, we'll be standing by to assist. We have all the books,tools and attitude to make it work and a few parts too. It looks like are next restoration will be an HD11 and HD11G for this coming year followed by 16s, so HD21s are 2 years out for us. It's a 3 hour road trip for us, but in AC miles that's not far. Also not to far from this tractor is a HD20G loader that we have been negotiating with the owner for over 10 years to no avail. (we need to call on him again). I have to get together with Bruce first, but I think I have photos of his family's HD16 which we came across, the engine had since died and we were hoping to acquire it for parts. (it may have been scrapped already)

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 12:52pm
Mel! Good to hear back from you! It was great to meet you. It was excellent talking dozers for the short time we had.

If I can get together with the new owners of this 21 and they agree to turn loose of it, I would gladly turn it over to you. I know it would have the best possible chance with you and your crew at a new life.

Oh, that guy we talked with about the 16, I e-mailed and left a voice mail with him last Sunday but haven't heard anything back.

If you want, go ahead and post up the pictures of the 16. I'd like to see if it is indeed our old one.

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 6:35pm
Thanks for the correction CAL. Dry aircleaner tricked me. Can see the injectors on LH side of head in 1st pic now. Didn,t know about the filters, so thats a good easy way to tell.
Turbo puts it in the 9000-11000 s/ns anyway. numbers above that are 21000 series engine.

-------------
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 7:55pm
Is some exellent videos on youtube from Quiring towing showing a volvo excavator rescue; parts 1 and 2; with winch tractors. Yellow ones, but great footage of diesel being convertered to music and smoke; more than enough to strike terror into the heart of any treehugger !Clap 
Just shows even girls similar to this have a place, when nothing else will do.

-------------
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 10:20am
Bruce, here are some pictures of the HD16 that could have belonged to your family. I told you last week it was orange,wrong,it was yellow. This was several years ago, the engine had gone bad so like the 21 it was going to be a major job to move. We had tentatively made a deal but the logistics never worked out. Pretty sure it's gone, but we are going to double check

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 11:09am
That's it!! My uncle welded those hooks on the back for choker cables. We bought that nice comfortable seat and installed it. I bought and installed the spark arrester. My uncles friend painted it using a bunch of different color yellows and such laying around that he mixed together and also painted the black accents.
That brings back some very fond memories. I hope it didn't get scrapped.

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 7:48pm
Well, me and a buddy visited the 21 again today and it's been vandalized a little more but it's still pretty okay. The fan spins easily as the belts are missing. The clutch lever works smoothly and cams over nice. Amazingly the turbo is free and spins over very smoothly. I checked the engine oil and it's full but very black with no signs of water intrusion.
As we were getting ready to walk back out, three dogs showed up followed by a guy who wasn't extremely happy to see us. In fact, he said we need to get the he!! out of there. I explained why I was there and apologized for trespassing. His demeanor changed as we talked on the walk out--he walked with us to the gate to make sure we were leaving. He watches the land for the owner and the cool thing is HE TOLD ME WHO THE LANDOWNER IS! It happens to be a family who has lived in this area for ever. Her number is in the phonebook so I called and left a message saying who I was and what I wanted and to please call me back. So, let's see what happens...

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 9:23pm
She called me back! She hasn't given me a definite yes but she's willing to discuss it. It sounds like she wouldn't be opposed to me working on it where it sits to see if it can be made to run.

AC Mel to the courtesy phone--we need to talk.

Posted By: JohnCO
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 9:47pm
Sounds like good news.  I can't imagine any reason the owner wouldn't want to get rid of something of no value to her but is worth selling to someone who wants to bring it back to life. 
Looking forward to hearing the outcome of your meeting.

-------------
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 1:10am
Accrazy, Maybe when you go talk to her, take a box of chocolates... maybe she will take a shine to ya and make a great deal... And if not, make sure Mel has his checkolate book handy... LOL

-------------

Posted By: DonDittmar
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 9:20am
Its starting to come together.....

-------------
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 10:52am
A few pics from yesterday.
If you look closely you can see the hour meter is now missing and someone tried ripping off the Allis-Chalmers plaque from the hood. Angry

My friend Don checking it out.

A couple of canisters removed from the right front floorboard tossed to the ground just to the right of the machine. The exhaust and seat frame are also there just out of the pic.

A couple plugs have been removed from the injection pump. I covered the open holes with a couple beer cans that were laying around.

Posted By: Steve in NJ
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 11:20am
That would be a pretty cool venture if you and AC Mel can join forces and get that old girl put back together, fired up, and "bulldoz" yer' way outta' there! Talk about bringing something  back from the Grave. Literally...! Thumbs Up
mailto:Steve@B&B" rel="nofollow - Steve@B&B

Posted By: Orange Blood
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 2:09pm
a couple of batteries, and a sniff of either, and she'll be purrin again!!  Nice find, I hopeit works out for you.

-------------
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7

Posted By: TREVMAN
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 2:19pm
Having rescued a few from the bushes/water, I will encourage you strongly to give it a try, everyone will say it will never run again, that you are crazy etc. I have never done anything quite as large as a 21, but what an asset once you are successful. Make the deal, see if it will crank, get some fuel in it, get it started. It will be a ton of work, but don't be discouraged, be patient, you'll get it done with the help of some friends, and some blood, sweat, and maybe some tears. Good luck, keep us posted, I love this kinda stuff, Trev.

Posted By: michale34
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 8:35am
I knew were there was a hd19 just like that sitting in the woods on the edge of a pasture the man that owned the land said it had been abandon by its owner 40 years ago said he never came back to get it and as far as he knew it was running when parked said the man was supose to dig a water pond for him and never came back  anyway he would not sell it because it didnt belong to him so the land owner died and his son told me 2000 and haul it off but getting it out was going to be a trick so i wasent fast enough to come up with a plan so the scrappers took torches and a backhoe and hauled it out in pieces.

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 11:32am
Its sad to see a machine like that get mangled. I hope the 21 in question can be saved, Trev.

Posted By: GM Guy
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 12:34am
Originally posted by TREVMAN TREVMAN wrote:

Its sad to see a machine like that get mangled. I hope the 21 in question can be saved, Trev.

x2.

good luck!

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 3:47pm
Just got back from a meeting with the owner. We met on the property where the 21 is and she walked me around the area, and at this point, it looks like it would be about impossible to move it. There are two small rivers and one creek all in the way of getting to the road.
There is one spot where the creek meets the main river (which is Elk River) where it's pretty shallow where you might be able to walk it across but the big problem is the other side is about 30' up and is very steep, muddy and unstable. Also she's not really too interested in getting rid of it and is probably wanting more than I can pay. But she said nothing's etched in stone and it's not going anywhere. So, she actually sounds like she'd work with me on this deal if I can figure a way to get it out without damaging the water flows. And, she does sound flexible on a price.
The cool thing is she was actually fine with punching a road to where ever we needed to get the thing out. I need AC Mel. :)

Posted By: dadsdozerhd5b
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 5:40pm
it got there someway, all you have to do is figure out how. maybe through a neighbor property? goo luck on the hunt.

-------------
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.

Posted By: Brian S(NY)
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 6:26pm
Please keep us informed on your project.:)

-------------
God made man.Sam colt made man equal.

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 8:07pm
Dadsdozer- The way it came in has two bridges that have since been condemned and would not hold the weight of the big bad 21. Only passenger cars or trucks are allowed.

Brian S- I certainly will.

Posted By: darrel in ND
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 9:15pm
Sounds like a challenging, but pure fun, project. If you do get it running, remember, you have a crawler here; they can go anywhere! Darrel

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 11:31pm

Remember trees make good bridges... and you can pull them out After you cross so you can use them at the next crossing...

These bridges on tar or gravel roads? and if gravel, how long are these bridges?

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 1:31am
Hey Darrel, I had that go anywhere attitude when I got my first crawler. The logging winch on it saved me the shame of having to get another machine to get me outa the places I shouldnt have taken her on more than one occasion. A lot older and a bit wiser now, but I still like having those winches on the back, even when not logging........

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 3:07am
Aye, very handy things them wenchs ! Just need a wee bit bigger anchor to pull yourself out with a HD21 than a HD6 tho Embarrassed

-------------
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money

Posted By: Lazyts
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 4:18pm
Mactractor- One day when I'm feeling shameless I may post a picture of an HD11 that I got good and stuck- I hope I'm a wee bit smarter now.  Even after we pulled it out on dry ground it wouldn't move- it was like a giant lump of clay from the floorboards down- the tracks wouldn't even touch the ground!  Better to go with some caution- I would hate to see a 21 stuck like that.
Speaking of which, here's a story my old shop instructor told us:
While working on the Winnipeg floodway during the '60s, his outfit was using D9s to push load scrapers.  In one area, the footing was good on top, but like soup just a few inches below the surface.  The scraper went over the soft spot fine, but the cat went down in the cut, hopelessly mired.  From the sounds of things it was down so bad they didn't know where to even hook on to pull it- then someone suggested dynamite.
The local "blow 'em up" expert was called in- he walked around the machine twice, smoked a cigarette, and went to work.  My instructor said that after he set of the charges, the only damage to the machine was a shower of mud, and it drove out of the hole under its own power.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by JC(WI) JC(WI) wrote:

Remember trees make good bridges... and you can pull them out After you cross so you can use them at the next crossing...

These bridges on tar or gravel roads? and if gravel, how long are these bridges?

Gravel. One's probably 20 feet and the other maybe 25-30 yards.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 4:39pm
http://www.ceforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3756

This is kind of off topic, but the above thread shows some pictures of the original floodway work.  Could be pictures of the outfit my instructor worked for too- I know he said they had a couple of 657s, which went to California after they were done- not much call for a scraper like that in this neck of the woods.
Anyway, wish you luck with the 21 project, if it goes ahead...

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 4:50pm
A little intermission from the 21.

AC Mel, here's that 16 that belongs to the gentleman we met at the logging conference.

He wants $6500.00 for it. He says it runs fine and everything works. Says he's kept it lubed and the manual tilt blade cylinders work good. Has the books for it too.
He doesn't care if it sells or not. If he can get what he wants, he'll turn loose of it. Says he's gonna pull it out in a month or so and power wash it, take pics and put it on Craigslist for like 10 grand. Shocked

Posted By: Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN)
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 1:45pm
OK ACcrazy.....this is like a good book you do not want to put down. Keep us posted on your adventures to get this old girl going again. 

Jeff

-------------
1954 WD45 NF "Iron Tater"

Posted By: orangeman
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 4:25pm
Gentlemen:  I really like this post on the 21.  I don't see many of them here in NYS.  Wish I could find one and have fun with them.  

I want to point out something I noticed in the pictures with the canisters laying on the ground.  That appears to be a three leaf plant and it could be poison ivy or poison oak.  Please be careful around that plant if in fact it is poison ivy or oak.  

I remember as a kid getting into a patch of poison ivy and laying in bed naked between the sheets with calamine lotion on.  Man I was one sick puppy.  

Just wanted to make you aware in case you did not see it.  Some folks have severe reactions to that stuff.  

Take care and keep this wonderful story on the HD-21 going!!!

Orangeman

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 7:54pm
Time to call in the Sikorsky Air Crane! Or, make friends with your local National Guard, maybe they have a Tank Copter, they can deliver the 21 over to your house...If it was only that easy! Good luck, I hope you can save this beautiful tractor, Trev.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 8:08pm
Orangeman, thanks for looking out for us but I'm pretty sure it's not that dreaded stuff--it's too cold here. It is abundant inland though.

Jeff, Trev and everyone, thank you for the well wishes and positive comments. I really appreciate it. Smile

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 7:55am
Good morning fellas. Gonna meet with AC Mel in a few hours and show him the 21 and surrounding land. His professional opinion and sage advice on this endeavor will determine if we move ahead or throw in the towel.
I'll report back later today. 

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 8:02am
Surely two crawler enthusiests wont let her sit.  Big smile  I have a buda lanova 844 sitting in a parts machine.  i will gladly help with parts if you need em, i will never use them.

-------------

Posted By: Brian S(NY)
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 8:24am
OK.. its been several hours.... what did he say.. what did he say.....?

-------------
God made man.Sam colt made man equal.

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 8:47pm
Ok, guys we made the loop 3 hours to Eureka 3 back. Strickly a fact finding mission to see if we could help Bruce with the 21 salvage operation and to check on other ACs we've been watching over the years. The bad news is the HD20G loader very near Bruce is gone, I'm sure to scrap (was a perfect specimen) When we got back to Latonville we found that the HD16 from bruce's family had also gone to scrap. We were unable to go to check on an HD16G loader because the owners granddaughter was having a wedding related function at his house and the people that help him watch his property were unavailable beside the recent rain was to much for access problems.We are confident that we will be able to procure the 16G loader but after today's episodes we will become more vigilante

AC Mel  / AC CRAZY   The serial number for this tractor is HD21A 9435 LR we've never seen the "LR" before, anybody know?

AC Mel  and Dave   Some other things we observed is the water pump was removed, the solenoid is off the starter. The oil level on the stick is high indicating it probably has some water in it. (none of those are big problems)

This is the problem

The columns underneath could be a problem

The bridge looks pretty good from here.  In conclusion but certainly not definite  (3 hour road trip home discussion) lots of work to make it happen, a possible option would be to dismantle it with a backhoe size loader that could cross the bridges with a piece at a time.? Probably wouldn't get put back together but would still be a donor tractor, new bridges could be an option (LOL)  yes any thing to keep it from going to scrap (and they have the same problem location,location). Jurys still out on this one. We'll keep you posted (literally)

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 9:15pm
I'd like to thank Mel and his brother Dave for going above and beyond helping out, what is essentially a complete stranger, (me). I only met Mel at the logging conference a few weeks ago. Mel and Dave, Thank You! You guys are awesome! These two gentleman have a very rich history with Allis-Chalmers machinery. In closing I'd just like to say I'm very glad to have met you. Smile

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 9:22pm
That's a spooky looking bridge...It will have to come out in pieces, a lot of work...good luck, Trev.

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 9:29pm
that serial # puts it in early 58'.  one of the first hundred out of two thousand made that year. Sometime in 58' is when the change was made from buda lanova engines to the direct inject thousand series engines.  Perhaps the "LR" is some designation for factory equipped logging tractors,  with the rear winch, heavy fuel tank guard, and canopy?  just throwing out a guess here....

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 10:20pm
I'm with Cal on the LR designation- AC did have a HD21 "logger" model according to Swinford's book.

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 10:23pm
http://books.google.ca/books?id=vXUgeSYvtlEC&pg=PA145&lpg=PA145&dq=HD21+logger&source=bl&ots=GoLL0_HkkA&sig=a95q1sAue8k4Vi4wxaU2KG6evXw&hl=en&sa=X&ei=L-ZgUY79JYml2AXAvYGoDw&ved=0CEwQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=HD21%20logger&f=false" rel="nofollow - http://books.google.ca/books?id=vXUgeSYvtlEC&pg=PA145&lpg=PA145&dq=HD21+logger&source=bl&ots=GoLL0_HkkA&sig=a95q1sAue8k4Vi4wxaU2KG6evXw&hl=en&sa=X&ei=L-ZgUY79JYml2AXAvYGoDw&ved=0CEwQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=HD21%20logger&f=false

Hope that works- another reference to the HD21 logger.

Posted By: Gordy
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 11:00pm

I had posted this last year, My neighbor has this 21 was going to part it but hasn't so it is still for sale engine ran to where it is parked but steering is bad.

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 2:37am
Taking blade off looses a lot of weight. If that structure hanging off the side of the  bridge is not the local DOT office, I`d be tempted to drive the tractor over it

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 9:25am
Gordy- I've purchased two HD11 tractors that did not steer- turned out to be a plugged inlet screen on both of them- wouldn't hurt to double check if you haven't already.

Posted By: Steve in NJ
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 10:29am
Been following along with this story myself. Pretty interesting for sure! I was thinking the same as MacTractor was. I don't know much about Dozers other than they're super heavy and I've been working on a few our ours here at work on occasions, (D7G, 955, and JD650) but I would think that if you put that Dozer on a diet and remove the rear winch and front blade, and whatever else that could be removed to lighten her up, you just may be able to go right across that bridge wit dat big dude! Yeah, the bridge looks a bit scary at first, but looks to me that under all that moss n' stuff, it looks like a pretty stout & riveted bridge. After all, the Dozer got in there, put her on a diet, and lighten the old girl up n' git er' outta there!  Thumbs Up 
mailto:Steve@B&B" rel="nofollow - Steve@B&B

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 1:50pm
I was thinking if you would lay more long heavy timbers on top to increase the load bearing capacity while it went across, making sure the timbers are supported over the bridge supports... then remove the timbers and not affect the bridge to any extent.

I know, it's easer to think it than the fact of being able to do it...
 My first though was if you laid couple semi trailer flat beds down to cross on.

Or if there was a lesser embackment and was able to drag the crawler across from the other side with a bigger cat and winch...
  Good luck. and keep us posted of whats happening.

-------------

Posted By: sandman2234
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 3:26pm
Just wondering if there is anyway you could get another crawler with winch in there and a short section of railroad track to cross the river. Skidding it across steel tracks might be easier than dragging it thru the mud or across trees dropped to cover the water. If running, driving it across rails would be possible IF the crossties were long enough to allow another section of rails to be added outside the standard gauge width. Several sections of rail side by side with crossties or even steel welded under them to hold him in place so they don't twist might give you a temporary bridge. If you can get another crawler into there, to help move the "bridge", it can also help pull the other up the embankment on the other side. Not sure how long you are talking about, but rail comes in some pretty long sections, and a good friend at the scrapyard might be able to hook you up for a loan of some. (Not suggesting this, but I do see it all the time pulled and dropped on the right of way) A connection at the railyard might get a loan of some worn out stuff long enough to do this.
I would be scared of attempting to cross the existing bridge, because if it fails, you loose the Allis and you might get charged for the repairs of the existing bridge. Plus you would sure make a lot of people mad (the ones that currently use the bridge).
It is easy to sit in Florida and dream of ways to move this monster, but the bottom line is, GOOD LUCK AND BE CAREFUL!!
David from jax

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 1:26am
ACcrazy: You have raised so much interest in this thread that with some  sponsors you could likely start a TV series ......... "Rescue the HD21". If the bridge would crash the ratings would simply go up, LOLLOL   

-------------
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 9:41am
EricB lol. Just send me money, machines and a crew; we'll get 'er rescued!

Appreciate the suggestions on getting across the river guys but I'm fairly certain it will have to walk out under it's own power. From my perspective I have a couple choices. 1) Do a little blade work and cross the river at a shallow spot, which I think can be done in the summer when the flow is at its lowest volume. 2) Walk it out a road I found on Google Earth and come out on Thompkins Hill Road, which is a stones throw from Highway 101.
But first things first. I still have to see if the engine's free. The land owner is out of town for a month so I'm gonna have to wait until she's back before I'm able to monkey around with it.

Cal(KS)- Thanks a bunch for the offer on engine parts. I may be taking you up on that.

Posted By: Mikez
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 3:28pm
Is that how she got into there. Was the place logged, is that why it was in there to log the property. Sorry first time reading this post. How much does she weigh and has any of you guys had success in one moving after sitting that long. There's nobody in town like older guys that know the history of it and area. Good luck. I like the idea of saving her

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 4:51pm
Ill try to do what i can from 1822 miles away.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 May 2013 at 12:13am
Well, it's been a month.  Any news yet?  We are all anxious for good news!

-------------

Date Posted: 18 May 2013 at 9:08am
Nothing yet, John. I'll give her another call later today.

Posted By: FloydKS
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2013 at 1:06pm
bringing this one back to the top as it has been a while since this "call later today" post.

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 7:25pm
Happy Independence Day everyone!

Sorry for the delays here guys but I've been very busy with other duties as of late. I'm getting caught up but still much to do around the place here.

I called the owner again today and left a message. Hope I get a call back this time.
I know she has been busy with some legal back and forth with government entities over land usages so she may be a bit preoccupied with that deal at the moment.

Posted By: Ian Beale
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 3:58am
Might be time to trial a flight of another TLA

FGE

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 8:08am
Well, she's not returning my calls. I don't know what the deal is but I guess it's time to move on.

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 5:39pm
Pay her a visit?  Take her some tomatoes or peaches, almost always works for me.
Good luck!

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Jul 2013 at 9:57am
I agree, a visit in person puts a face to the name and will make the seller more comfortable.  They can hear your desire to fix the machine instead of soliciting a call from someone who may be just looking for iron to scrap.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 8:54pm
Guys, I have met with her in person and walked the property with her. I know where she lives, basically, but the entrance is gated and a fair distance from her residence. I don't think she'd take to kindly to me jumping her fence and showing up at her doorstep.
I can't say what will happen in the future but we're taking a break for now. That's all I can say at the moment.

Posted By: Tracy Martin TN
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 9:16pm
Drop her a card in the mail. Let her know you are the one that walked with her, and would like to save the crawler from scrap. HTH Tracy

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 9:51pm
Tell her once you have it restored... or back up to running, she can go and have a ride on it and if so inclined she can even run it... Well that was just a thought.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2013 at 1:01am
ACcrazy: I'm sure we'll hear from you again....you deserve to be complemented for having started the longest thread I've followed from start 'til now....6372 views at this point - Congratulations to you....you've caught the interest of many people!!!

-------------

Posted By: GlenninPA
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 5:39pm
6 months is a nice break..... Anything new to report?

-------------
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
From listening comes wisdom and from speaking comes repentance.
Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 10:46pm
Just thought I'd add these pictures of a 21 my father in law spotted while hunting a few years ago.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 11:45pm
For us older guys this feels like a late model 21 .... far too new to be dismantled LOL. Looks to be all good 'til you get the side view Ouch

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 9:14am
Probably started out as a repair job that never got finished.  Looks like about 1975- it has the muffler.  By looking at the blade, it did its share of work.  I think it disappeared a couple of years back, probably cut up, but who knows?

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 9:08am
Originally posted by Eric B Eric B wrote:

ACcrazy: I'm sure we'll hear from you again....you deserve to be complemented for having started the longest thread I've followed from start 'til now....6372 views at this point - Congratulations to you....you've caught the interest of many people!!!

Thank you, Eric.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 9:14am
Originally posted by GlenninPA GlenninPA wrote:

6 months is a nice break..... Anything new to report?

Unfortunately, no. But this endeavor is still alive. I have turned the reins over to AC_Mel. I will help in whatever capacity I can but he has the resources to actually make this happen. I'm hoping to see this machine added to his collection in the future. :)

Happy new year everyone!

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 12:01pm
  This one is still available for just a little above scrap price

Posted By: AC7060IL
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2014 at 11:24pm
Great story..  What do these 21's weigh?  What kind of scrap price will one bring?  I sure hope you guys get that owner lady to cooperate...   Does she know how many Allis-Chalmers followers are watching this from this website??  Good luck to all..

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2014 at 12:18am
Originally posted by AC7060IL AC7060IL wrote:

Great story..  What do these 21's weigh?  What kind of scrap price will one bring?  I sure hope you guys get that owner lady to cooperate...   Does she know how many Allis-Chalmers followers are watching this from this website??  Good luck to all..
Weight for the HD 21 is in the range of 57 to 60 000 Lbs. depending on which model and options. Certainly would bring some good pocket money as scrap-metal when the rate is at the upper peak. I know a guy that was trying to sell a perfect running condition Gradall, he was looking for a very reasonable price ..... no takers. He drove it down to the scrap metal yard and parked it ..... went home with a cheque for $5000 ...... was ready to take less from someone buying it to keep it in the work force Embarrassed

-------------

Posted By: ryanschott
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 10:29am
well anything new on this been watching for a while take the parts off a running one get it out then put the parts back on the good one. 

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 1:58pm
10,000 views and counting- must be a record for this forum!  Good story.

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 10:22am
This is in standby mode at this time. We actually found out that a timber company that had access here was going to do some bridge repairs and possibly use this access in the future. AC crazy is monitoring the road work to see if it happens.  The bridge was the biggest obstacle originally. We're still on it.

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 10:08am
thats a big enough dozer nothing should stop it just get her running and go around the bridge or thru the woods i have  to believe not much would slow down that monster

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 10:36pm
How about an update.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 7:37pm

Posted this one a while ago neighbor still has it said it ran good but no steering said he would sell it.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 10:53pm
Mike, Yes we should check on that. AC Crazy was assigned to keep us posted on weather or not bridge repairs had been done or started. He lives about a mile or 2 as the crow flies. It's a busy time of year out here now and not to conducive to tractor collecting, but as soon as it rains(if and when) it gets to wet to move this big stuff around. I'll give him an alert and I'm sure he'll check on that for all of us.

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 7:19am
Hey guys. I took a ride down there a few days ago and it looks like no one has been there.
I didn't walk all the way to the bridge but it was obvious no vehicles have been on that road.  Unhappy

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 9:27pm
been awhile any changes

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 9:26pm
A 2016 update.
Sorry had to do it

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net